AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 276 51.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 145 27.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 76 14.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 3.74%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 1.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 0.75%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-28, 12:41   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Death Note - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 37 episodes of Death Note ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design

• How did the anime compare with the manga?
  • Whether there should be more footage (DVD only) that you think it might be worthy.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Adaptation from Manga: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
Old 2007-06-28, 13:21   Link #2
Stark

10/10, mi favorite anime of 2006/2007.

Last edited by Stark; 2007-08-10 at 16:18.
Old 2007-06-28, 15:13   Link #3
philmein

I agree. A perfect 10 or wait, if possible, an 11.
Ultimately my favorite anime thus far. Even though L arc was the best, Near's arc was freakin' awesome as well.
Old 2007-06-28, 16:34   Link #4
Mortis
You fool!
*Graphic Designer

Up to episode 35 i would give the series a 9 out of 10. But after watching 2 last episodes (especially 37 ) its a 10/10 (i'd like to give it a 11 tho)
Everything was made just the way it should be.
Just awesome.
Old 2007-06-28, 17:25   Link #5
ShoyzX

9/10
If it weren't for the odd seemingly rushed ending it would have been perfect.

All hopes to a DVD Extra Alternate Ending!
Old 2007-06-28, 22:02   Link #6
Auro
Harmlessly Eccentric

Send a message via MSN to Auro
10/10 = 100%
It'll be my number 1 favourite anime/manga (heck tv/series/show) of all time - I'm pretty sure!

I remember when I first heard of it, (I read the back of the manga at the book shop.) Immediately I thought "now this is my kind of story." I often question such moral/ethic values. I write stories so I often include such questions and symbolism.

From the storyline, the questions of morality, the characters and their quirks.
Right down to (for the anime,) the animation, the art, the music and the VA's.
I loved each character, which is quite rare – to love them all. That meant that when Death Note was coming to the end – I didn’t really want anyone to die

Manga vrs Anime
Although I prefer watching to reading… I did like how the anime condensed the second arc – to me in the manga there was almost too-much information that really wasn’t necessarily needed.
One thing I liked in the manga was Ide and Aizawa's relationship - and even shown when they were in the car after cornering Higuchi.
The anime massage scene was an interesting scene indeed. Although my first instinct was this is the moment lots of fanfics/art will be based on...
It did show the friendship between them (well okay at that point one-sided but heyy...)
As far as the last chapter – I’m in too minds, really I liked how the anime just finished with his death – but I like the manga’s ending with his worshipers *wonders how many times I’ll be saying this* it was like he really did become a God in the end. Well that’s my impression – and I thought that was a good way to end it.

I'm one of those people that love to see even the minor characters have their turn, their spotlight. I was gonna say the only improvement was to have the task force/spk members/Matt, have a bigger part in it... but then again I think each of them did have some part to play even if it was small.
So re-thinking, I think generaly it was all perfect so no improvements needed...

That’s all I can think of right now.

Last edited by Auro; 2007-07-10 at 06:21. Reason: lol - changed opinion of something
Old 2007-06-29, 15:54   Link #7
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Best anime i've ever seen. Gorgeous animation, superb voice acting, very fitting music etc etc. 10/10
Old 2007-06-29, 18:18   Link #8
russian_ninja

Great anime. Very well thought out. I hope it's this good when it comes to America.
Old 2007-06-29, 18:45   Link #9
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian_ninja View Post
Great anime. Very well thought out. I hope it's this good when it comes to America.
i doubt that they would just ruin the voices
Old 2007-06-29, 18:48   Link #10
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian_ninja View Post
I'm skeptical about that. The voice acting was so perfect in this series. Especially Miyano Mamoru as Light. Don't know that there are English dub actors that are even half that good. But then, I really don't like dubs so I suppose I'm very biased on this point. ^^;;;
Old 2007-06-29, 22:11   Link #11
Vicious108

I'm usually a fan of dubs, but the Death Note dub trailer has been out for a while, and sadly Light's voice is just terrible.

Anyways, this series is a 10/10 for me as well. Easily became my favorite anime.
Old 2007-06-29, 23:37   Link #12
Renchan

10/10... 11 if possible.
Great story, animation, design and VA, espcially Mamoru Miyano as Light, but american's VA will ruin the voice!(Not only Light but maybe all DN's characters)
Old 2007-06-30, 03:27   Link #13
Hagges01
Special UFO Hunter

9/10, probably cause I hate the non-base theory of Near about Mikami
anyway, I really enjoy this one, looking forward for more in the future
Old 2007-06-30, 04:11   Link #14
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

9/10. The Near/Mello arc isn't as good as the L arc. But over all it's still an excellent series.
Old 2007-06-30, 04:17   Link #15
Rem and Ryuk

9.9/10. The ending hurt it from being 10, i just can't say its perfect, but other than the ending it is perfect. My favorite anime ever.
Old 2007-06-30, 09:34   Link #16
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Everything up to Episode 36 was a perfect 10. Last was 7-8 at most.
Over all series was fantastic from start to finish. Animation and voice acting was great. Its going to be hard to find another anime to replace this one...
Old 2007-06-30, 11:22   Link #17
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

9.5/10. The entire story was very well thought out. Great plot, great animation, great VAs.
Old 2007-07-01, 16:19   Link #18
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan

10/10

I would've given it an 11/10 if they had Light begging for his life at the end
Old 2007-07-01, 16:36   Link #19
Pakxenon
popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphemeralDream View Post
10/10

I would've given it an 11/10 if they had Light begging for his life at the end
Down two notches but I'd have the same opinion. The ending was just to make some fanboys happy, but the manga version is much more suitable as an ending (not because I hate Light - I love the guy, but it just shows how one playing god can be a pathetic human being).

Overall, Death Note is an intense thriller with some of the most epic directing I've ever seen, but there were moments where it wasn't as good (Yotsuba arc, Misa Amane, etc.) and you can't really rewatch this because you'd have known the outcome already. See my review (signature) for more of my thoughts.
Old 2007-07-02, 10:37   Link #20
Grey

Hmm, I didn't watch every episode because knowing the manga plot made it a bit tedious. Nevertheless, those episodes I did watch seemed superbly done. The little revisions and additions here and there were also rather interesting.

/rant-on/ For instance, the revised ending pleased me greatly, as the manga ending had Light seem quite out of character. He was highly intelligent and dedicated to his cause/ideal, had been prepared for death in the first chapter, was surrounded by death for the rest of the story...and later on he's suddenly no longer prepared for his own death? His life was in danger, and people were going to stop him from achieving the ideal he'd been willing to give his life for in the beginning--and the thing that suddenly matters to him more is his life rather than the collapse of the ideal he'd been working towards for six years? The ideal for which he'd killed countless people?! Making his life suddenly matter more to him is spontaneously redefining his character instead of keeping with how he's been portrayed. Unnecessary change. Hah, as one person pointed out, it almost feels like the author was trying to press a moral lesson. The anime altering the ending and adding other alterations seemed quite sensible./rant-off/

All in all, I found that the revisions and additions, the various entertaining special effects, the voice acting all went well. I imagine if I had been knew to the series I might have given the show a 10/10 on all counts. But a more conservative averaging of scores leaves my final score around 9.4.

Last edited by Grey; 2007-07-02 at 17:16. Reason: clarity
Closed Thread