AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-08-08, 13:31   Link #221
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

The ending could use work, but I'm satisfied overall. I felt anguish to finish this series a month ago, because the ending couple won't be what I like or hoped, but I was wrong!
Old 2013-08-08, 16:08   Link #222
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I was underwhelmed by the ending. Something just felt missing after everyone separated into different schools, and the increasing gap between Nitori and Takatsuki ended in a pretty heartbreaking scene. It's like as the cast scattered, so did the energy and plot focus, and then it just kind of ends. The height of the story, for me personally, was when Shuu went to school as a girl. After that...things kind of fell flat.

I can't say I didn't enjoy most of it, but I definitely felt both frustrated and underwhelmed by how it concluded. At the very least, an epilogue reuniting everyone and showing a transitioned Shuu years later would have been nice.
Old 2013-08-08, 16:22   Link #223
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Japanese epilogues-not-really-epilogues. Life just goes on. My pet peeve with every series ever.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 23:11   Link #224
Orvieto

Page 27 of Ch123 seems to suggest Takatsuki in a bridal veil and Nitori in a white suit.
Does this mean they eventually get together?

Last edited by LKK; 2015-02-03 at 09:07. Reason: removed link
Orvieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 22:40   Link #225
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Perhaps interesting to note here that a ““Wandering Son” Retrospective Podcast” was broadcast by Anime Feminist on September 3, 2017 in which manga translator Rachel "Matt" Thorn participated.

The manga “Shimanami Tasogare” was mentioned towards the end, at approximately an hour and two minutes into the program, as one of the more recent publications dealing with similar issues as were explored in "Hourou Musuko". Thorn expressed her interest in translating this ongoing manga into English as well but unfortunately had to reiterate once again during the program that the continuation of publication of "Wandering Son" in English seems unlikely at this point in time. A time noted for an observed shift in Japan...

Podcast link

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-09-08 at 22:38. Reason: Replaced with thread OP link
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-08, 00:03   Link #226
Verso Sciolto
Banned

This is a relatively old thread and series. Not everyone who sees the thread title now may be familiar with "Hourou Musuko".

Fantagraphics lists their Thorn translated print edition of Vol. 1 as "Out of print" but there is still a free PDF with 20 pages on offer from their website for "Wandering Son". Hopefully they'll decide to make the rest of the series available for purchase in electronic formats as well.

Perhaps the successful publication of other series with LGTBQ themes will make Fantagraphics re-examine if there continues to be little interest in their English (Hard Cover) edition of the Wandering Son manga. They'll probably be curious how well Shimura's "Aoi Hana" will do this time when VIZ media releases that manga in their English translation as "Sweet Blue Flowers" starting later this month.

Maybe Fantagraphics keeps an eye on the amount of traffic their "Wandering Son" page in general and their PDF preview specifically generate on their website to determine how much interest there may be in the series or in general. Perhaps they use PDF downloads as an indication how many people might read the remaining pages as eText too.

If that is the case, it might be a good idea to: "Download a 20-page PDF excerpt of the entire first chapter (3.3 MB)" there. From the bottom of this page: Wandering Son Vol. 1
Old 2017-10-18, 07:48   Link #227
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Edit Oct. 10. 2017: Based on this:
Quote:
"Finally finished the Shimura piece. So many thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts!"
Not entirely sure where to put this but -as before- I'm assuming most people reading her other stories will probably check this -cross linked- thread too ... and this is a follow up -of sorts- on the above: 「ユリイカ2017年11月臨時増刊号 総特集=志村貴子」 - in stores October 27, 2017.

Tags
drama, seinen