AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-11, 17:18   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice and Wolf) Manga Discussion

Opening this thread to discuss the manga for Spice and Wolf (Ookami to Koushinryou).

Its a story of a traveling merchant in a parallel world of early medieval times who meets a young harvest goddess who feels displaced by "modern agriculture" methods encroaching on her village. She wants to return to her birth place in the far north.

Its a story of commerce, religious transition, feudal times, and mostly about the relationship between two very different beings.

The manga is derived from a series of light novels and is being adapted to anime at the time of this posting.
Currently it is only available in Japanese in the magazine Dengeki Maoh and started on September 27, 2007. Rumor has it that scanlations are being produced (ClockworkGiantPandas.com). Once manga volumes are published, I'll update this post with relevant information.

Please do not spoil the manga discussion based on light novel information or anime discussion.
It *is* okay (with me at least) if an adapted scene or moment is compared to its source material but not by spoiling future events. Tricky, yeah.

I'll edit this as I collect a few images and data bits: lifting liberally from Neosam's introduction to the anime thread for now. All credits to Neosam. Hope you don't mind

Notes:
==================================
Official site: http://www.spicy-wolf.com/

Based on a light novel shounen series that is published under the label Dengeki Bunko. For now there are 6 volumes released of the light novel.
Covers:

Spoiler:

Shounen light novel.
少年向け小説(ライトノベル)

Author: Isuna Hasekura
Illustrator: Juu Ayakura

Genre: Shounen (light novel), Seinen (manga), Fantasy

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-11 at 18:10.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:20   Link #2
Claes
Claes lover

There's a translation, up to 3 chapters I think
Claes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:30   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I know... just want to make sure its okay to link to the scanlation effort. (4 chapters and an adult doujinshi)
Old 2008-01-11, 17:33   Link #4
Claes
Claes lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I know... just want to make sure its okay to link to the scanlation effort. (4 chapters and an adult doujinshi)
Does it agains the TOS?
Old 2008-01-11, 17:33   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

That doujinshi was hilarious, "Tail Feel Good!".
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:36   Link #6
Claes
Claes lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
That doujinshi was hilarious, "Tail Feel Good!".
*Is tempted*
Old 2008-01-11, 17:37   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The doujinshi was both funny yet a bit disappointing. The author (not the translator) really wasn't interested in building up the tension before getting to the clinical stuff The dialog is also pretty lame (again, not blaming the translator - I wouldn't have been able to resist temptation to rewrite the dialog). Note: the doujinshi is "x-rated" but with the usual black bars to keep the Japanese Image Police from swooping down on them.

Back to the manga (doujinshi aside), AS is pretty strict on what gets linked so I just want to review the rules before linking to any scanlation sites, and yes, Claes its a good idea to review them since you've just joined
Old 2008-01-11, 17:45   Link #8
Claes
Claes lover

Quote:
AS = animesuki
duh

Anyway, for the manga, since it's a slice of life (I don't feel it like a seinen, maybe a little), and since I only read it for 3 chapters, I can't give any rating/review rite now
Old 2008-01-11, 17:53   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is being published in a seinen magazine (though the light novel source is under a shonen tag).... I can't see it being utterly fascinating to young boys unless they're budding economics or feudal studies fanatics yet there we are.... but I really couldn't give a flip how it is labeled.

The rules seem to say unlicensed *scanlations* are okay (unlicensed raws= not okay, licensed scanlations=not okay), but I'll wait til one of the mods responds to my self-report before I step into it (I've made tactical errors in the past here ).
Old 2008-01-11, 17:59   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

We don't really keep track of manga licenses, we're primarilly an anime site after all. You will have to check other sites to confirm if it is licensed or not, I'm not aware of an English release and ANN doesn't mention that it has been licensed either.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 18:06   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

thanks, I've been googling/browsing and came to the same result.... if someone has it licensed, they're in submarine mode.
Old 2008-01-11, 18:33   Link #12
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Ohh...I was actually going to open the thread myself tomorrow if someone haven't already done so...nice vexx

Just read through the first 4 chapters and the changes are fairly significant compared to the first ep of the anime...
Spoiler:

So...how many chapters are there out so far (RAW versions). I want to see if there is some catching up to do with the scanalations or not

ps. Horo chewing on her tail...epix win!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 18:33   Link #13
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

The Spice and Wolf manga has not been licensed yet. It is still a very young effort, only four volumes have been published so far (at least I think, as I haven't found raws of the fifth yet). #Moob and #Musashi are scanlating it. I help Moob on their doujin (so far I've only edited the Horo doujin, the version without "TAIL FEEL SO GOOD"), so I'm biased towards #Moob's releases. Let me know if you guys find any other SaW doujin.

Dengeki Maoh is a primarily seinen magazine (also published in it is the Persona and Disgea 2 manga, along with a lot of other stuff I don't recognize). SaW is seinen, tentatively categorized as romance or adventure (it doesn't really fit in either category very well).

ClockworkGiantPandas.com is just a hastily-made compilation of everything Horo-related stuff I've found that's worth downloading. It's made possible by you guys, because I'm not very good at keeping up with new releases at whatnot.

Thanks for making the thread, Vexx!
Old 2008-01-12, 09:08   Link #14
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll edit this as I collect a few images and data bits: lifting liberally from Neosam's introduction to the anime thread for now. All credits to Neosam. Hope you don't mind
No problem

I finally read the discussion in the anime thread, and replied here to hopefully clarify things out.
Old 2008-01-13, 12:47   Link #15
Westlo
Lets be reality

Does anyone know if the 5th chapter has been released in Japan yet?
Old 2008-01-13, 19:55   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

That doujinshi was funny.
Old 2008-01-13, 20:27   Link #17
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Does anyone know if the 5th chapter has been released in Japan yet?
Dengeki Maoh comes out on the 27th of each month. #Moob released volume 1 chapter 4 on January 1st, five days after Decemeber 27th. A new chapter isn't due out until the end of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
That doujinshi was funny.
Musashi's version of it was, and now it's a semi-meme (at least whenever SaW comes up on certain message boards). Moob's is less funny in translation, but the last page is still entertaining in either version.
Old 2008-01-13, 21:37   Link #18
Westlo
Lets be reality

Oh this is a monthly manga, I should've known by the release schedule... I guess I don't mind if it keeps up the high quality of the art.
Old 2008-01-23, 08:18   Link #19
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Doujinshi: HAHAHAHAHA

Okay, I'm hooked onto this series.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 08:36   Link #20
Khaos

Arrow

That Doujinshi was funny indeed "I am certainly more suited for dominating a man" ...but it has the problem of almost all H-stuff, that horrible representation of Sex, and I don't mean the graphics.

Anyway if I were Lawrence I couldn't resist from stroking Horo's ears all the time.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, seinen