AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 18 30.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.33%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-01, 08:27   Link #61
Bordix

I still don't get it though, how those blades never hit him. Is it that Izzard "think" that his imagine breaker was still there after the guy laughed like a maniac after loosing his arm?..
Quote:
Cutting off his right arm gives it a larger surface area and thus the ability to conduct his Imagine Breaker even more (i.e AOE effect around the body part), or else he would just have been slaughtered by the blades already before he even uses psychological warfare.
That would be cool an "AOE" imagine breaker = imba XD
Old 2008-12-01, 08:36   Link #62
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
Ok, is it just me or is there something a little wrong with Index being moved around every year to a grown man who happens to develop really STRONG feelings for her? How many years has she been having her memory wiped and how many grown men have taken care of her? I dunno, it just seems kinda creepy and gross.
QFT. I wanna start calling this series "The Pedo Anime". Can we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshengchao View Post
I can't help find faults with this anime so.. sue me.

Spoiler for Episode:
For the ability of a minor/mini-arc villain, they sure chose something so complicated. The dynamics of Mars Agna are too vague and I doubt they even thought clearly about how it works. It kinda feels like they want something flashy. Sure Mars Agna looks cool, but from how they presented it, it kinda feels like they didn't bother fleshing out / figuring out its dynamics. And probably it's not worth it since this is just a min-arc villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimmy88 View Post
Even if Izzard used the Ars Magna to save Index, I dont think he couldve done it because he wasnt aware that there was no limit.

As for Izzard not thinking of thinking of that though, i'll pass it off and say to myself that the simplest solutions are often overlooked.
I was under the impression that his thoughts would only become reality if he really did believe it. Meaning he couldn't save Index because he didn't really believed he could in as much as he couldn't produce a vampire because he didn't really believed they exist. Or so that's the only way it makes a bit of sense for me

And for the love of God, why is it that everyone is trying to save Index? Will every villain we'll encounter involve someone trying to save Index? Seriously, Himegami >>>>> Index

And I'm betting next arc Touma gets another loli... Hey doc, Touma doesn't have a nurse fetish, he's a lolicon
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 08:50   Link #63
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
And I'm betting next arc Touma gets another loli... Hey doc, Touma doesn't have a nurse fetish, he's a lolicon
Well, it has been mentioned that we will start with the next volume now and so its MIKOTOOOOOOOOOOOOO time. Though she is not a loli, she has enough good points to make up for that xD I hope that we will get some Kuroko too
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 08:51   Link #64
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I was under the impression that his thoughts would only become reality if he really did believe it. Meaning he couldn't save Index because he didn't really believed he could in as much as he couldn't produce a vampire because he didn't really believed they exist. Or so that's the only way it makes a bit of sense for me
For me... I think He couldn't produce a vampire because he has no idea what a Vampire is. Remember what Aisa said? There is no distinct difference between a Vampire and a Human. And till this point, nobody even knew if Vampires even existed, only rumors.

Ars Magna is complicating, there might be alot of limitations. For Index's case, even if he thinks of saving her, it wouldn't work if he doesn't know how exactly to do it.

So I think some things require more precision than others.

Quote:
And for the love of God, why is it that everyone is trying to save Index? Will every villain we'll encounter involve someone trying to save Index? Seriously, Himegami >>>>> Index

You do know that Himagami isn't a loli right?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 08:57   Link #65
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You do know that Himagami isn't a loli right?
she's loli enough imho
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 08:59   Link #66
Bordix

@Chaos2Frozen
Just here to say thanks man, your explanations always make things "clearer"
Old 2008-12-01, 09:03   Link #67
tshengchao

for the matter of precision, it wouldn't matter if Ars Magna was used generally.
for one thing, he sure believes in vampires enough to try and lure one in for their help.
and second, himegami would prove vampires

so he could just have said:"Index would have no memory prob like a vampire"
tshengchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 09:09   Link #68
ReddyRedWolf

I wonder if the apartment manager knows that Touma is keeping two girls and a cat in his apartment.

Mr. I'm floating upside down city founder, Aleister Crowley, probably is giving him slack.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 09:13   Link #69
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
she's loli enough imho
Do you even know what a loli is?
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 09:49   Link #70
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
she's loli enough imho
Not loli. You need higher standards.
Old 2008-12-01, 10:17   Link #71
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
@Chaos2Frozen
Just here to say thanks man, your explanations always make things "clearer"
No problem, I'm used to wrapping my head around things like that

Quote:
she's loli enough imho
Nono, she really isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshengchao View Post
for the matter of precision, it wouldn't matter if Ars Magna was used generally.
for one thing, he sure believes in vampires enough to try and lure one in for their help.
and second, himegami would prove vampires

so he could just have said:"Index would have no memory prob like a vampire"

You know, I've just thought of something...

We were under the assumption that he always had Ars Magna, but could it be that the power of Ars Magna was only a recent thing for him?

That 3 years ago, he didn't have Ars Magna, so he couldn't have saved her?

In addition, who knows what other complications were there three years ago, the Church certainly didn't make things easy for Touma now, who's to say they didn't stop Izzard all those years ago?

EDIT:

LOLOLOLOL! Hahaha! I've just realized something even simpler

Index NEVER had any memory problems, it was all the cover-up by the Church, so even if Izzard did pull that trick with Ars Magna on Index, it would have solved NOTHING because he was trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place!
Old 2008-12-01, 11:09   Link #72
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think Touma's power is channeled through his right hand, not that it exists in his right hand.
No, it's specifically stated (maybe not in the anime outloud) that it's just his hand. Anything besides that is vulnerable, thus his "weakness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
I still don't get it though, how those blades never hit him. Is it that Izzard "think" that his imagine breaker was still there after the guy laughed like a maniac after loosing his arm?..
The blades didn't hit him because that wimp alchemist got it in his head that he couldn't hit him, so no matter what he thought up, that little thought that "I can't hit him" caused everything to miss.

Quote:
That's right. In the end, it's all because he didn't really believe he could do those things... According to the definition of his power, which he spent years to perfect and blah blah blah *insert pages long of stupid description*, if he thinks it, it will happen.

Quote:
And for the love of God, why is it that everyone is trying to save Index?

Will every villain we'll encounter involve someone trying to save Index?
The million dollar question.

The novel would have sucked if that was the case, wouldn't it?

[QUOTE=Chaos2Frozen;2083462]You know, I've just thought of something...

We were under the assumption that he always had Ars Magna, but could it be that the power of Ars Magna was only a recent thing for him?

That 3 years ago, he didn't have Ars Magna, so he couldn't have saved her?/QUOTE]

He didn't always have it. He had to work hard and gain it, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
EDIT:

LOLOLOLOL! Hahaha! I've just realized something even simpler

Index NEVER had any memory problems, it was all the cover-up by the Church, so even if Izzard did pull that trick with Ars Magna on Index, it would have solved NOTHING because he was trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place!
Depends on what he thinks. If he wants Index's memories to become normal or something along the lines of reverting to a normal human's memory, he could erase her photographic memory or the Pen.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 11:13   Link #73
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Not the doctor. That was Aureolus himself

Remember how he started "Damn, my Ars Magna has lost its powers... oh no! I must not think so, or *bam*"

Seeing his thought (loss of power) come true, Stiyl rematerialized in his old form right away.

(At least this was my reading of the scene)
Ah, so that's how Stiyl returned. That must hurt like hell getting his skin ripped off like that.

Not only has Aureolus been branded a lolicon upon revelation of his schemes, he then makes the standard Bond Villain mistake of not finishing off Touma quickly, and then rapidly descends into Villain Decay in the most pathetic way possible. Pity. (Points to Sugita for actually giving his all, it's not often you hear him as a pathetic "wimp". )

Touma must have a lot of guts to withstand the pain of amputation just to freak out Aureolus. Though it's probably as Stiyl has explained, that the intense pain of losing his arm gave him a "high".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
Ok, is it just me or is there something a little wrong with Index being moved around every year to a grown man who happens to develop really STRONG feelings for her? How many years has she been having her memory wiped and how many grown men have taken care of her? I dunno, it just seems kinda creepy and gross.
Touma's now the official winner of this loli, much to Stiyl's chagrin and annoyance.

Next episode we'll finally see some Mikoto. It'll be interesting to see how Mikoto interacts with a Touma who she doesn't know has lost his memories.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 11:28   Link #74
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

He didn't always have it. He had to work hard and gain it, if I remember correctly.
Ha! Thanks for the confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Depends on what he thinks. If he wants Index's memories to become normal or something along the lines of reverting to a normal human's memory, he could erase her photographic memory or the Pen.
For me, this is what I think:

In his mind, he believes the problem is caused by the memories of 103000 tomes in Index's head, So naturally his first plan would have been to make it so that her brain wouldn't suffer any pressure. But because that wasn't the actual problem at all, whatever he did wouldn't have made any difference.

Likewise, erasing her photographic memory wouldn't solve anything either.

Also, I don't think the Pen would have been that easily destroyed... It probably would have some defense against Ars Magna in those 103000 tomes.

But hey, since you confirmed that he didn't have Ars Magna at that time, none of this actually would have come into play
Old 2008-12-01, 12:46   Link #75
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think Touma's power is channeled through his right hand, not that it exists in his right hand.

Cutting off his right arm gives it a larger surface area and thus the ability to conduct his Imagine Breaker even more (i.e AOE effect around the body part), or else he would just have been slaughtered by the blades already before he even uses psychological warfare.

Regarding Aurelous, I thought only Suzumiya Haruhi had that kind of power.
The psychological warfare began as soon as he laughed. From that point on, Izzard thought of him as a monster, so he became one. Simple as that.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 14:51   Link #76
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

If your a fan of Aisa then good news! She will appear in the next arc and here the proof from the 3rd novel!

Spoiler for Picture from Volume 3:
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 15:17   Link #77
kittybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Do you even know what a loli is?
she is a loli on the inside
kittybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 15:54   Link #78
SkoolRumble4Ya

I don't get why Stiyl still obey the church even though he was lied too the whole time. I better not see another arc about some old guy taking care of Index. I never knew Mikoto have a twin sister.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 17:51   Link #79
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
I don't get why Stiyl still obey the church even though he was lied too the whole time. I better not see another arc about some old guy taking care of Index. I never knew Mikoto have a twin sister.
More likely he has no choice as the church is far stronger than he is. The church could forcefully take index into custody, place back the spell and kill touma.

So it is better for him to stay on and monitor the situation from within.
Old 2008-12-01, 19:20   Link #80
tshengchao

Quote:
Quote:
That's right. In the end, it's all because he didn't really believe he could do those things... According to the definition of his power, which he spent years to perfect and blah blah blah *insert pages long of stupid description*, if he thinks it, it will happen.
I really think he BELEVES in the existence of vampires, so much so as he can ask Himegami to lure one in and he was originally going to ask the vampires for their secret of 'overflowing memories'

Quote:
You know, I've just thought of something...

That 3 years ago, he didn't have Ars Magna, so he couldn't have saved her?

In addition, who knows what other complications were there three years ago, the Church certainly didn't make things easy for Touma now, who's to say they didn't stop Izzard all those years ago?
And for Izzard unable to save Index 3 years ago even if he has Ars Magna, why not just say that his magic cannot penetrate the "Walking Church"?

I am really hoping for some concrete reasonings by the author extracted from the novels if possible from the users as I don't think we are getting far substituting our opinions as per-se logic for the story itself. Sure this and that could have happened, but I don't feel at ease with the freaky loose storytelling the the anime asking audiences to do guesswork for every of the illogical things the character do to the story
tshengchao is offline   Reply With Quote