AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-04-29, 06:47   Link #3541
Last Carpet

I've been thinking, maybe Medaka isn't really the main character. In manga standards, sure she's always up front. But by battle standards....well.....

Medaka wins all the time, all the freakin' time. She never loses, and those rare times she does its always excused in some way. What main character in any anime or manga always wins? Goku from DBZ has lost, Naruto's lost, Ichigo from Bleach has lost, Yoh Asakura from Shaman King has lost. Yugi, Jaden and Yusei have lost.

In my experience, the main character is a person who rises from defeat to fight again and then achieves victory. A person who strives to get stronger and improve. Not an over powered person who doesn't know the meaning of a real defeat. Who can already use their strength to its fullest potential and can't get any better because of it.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

Last edited by Last Carpet; 2011-04-29 at 07:47.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 19:18   Link #3542
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
I've been thinking, maybe Medaka isn't really the main character. In manga standards, sure she's always up front. But by battle standards....well.....

Medaka wins all the time, all the freakin' time. She never loses, and those rare times she does its always excused in some way. What main character in any anime or manga always wins? Goku from DBZ has lost, Naruto's lost, Ichigo from Bleach has lost, Yoh Asakura from Shaman King has lost. Yugi, Jaden and Yusei have lost.

In my experience, the main character is a person who rises from defeat to fight again and then achieves victory. A person who strives to get stronger and improve. Not an over powered person who doesn't know the meaning of a real defeat. Who can already use their strength to its fullest potential and can't get any better because of it.

But uh...the author said outright in the last chapter, Medaka is the main character.

Maybe Medaka's unique in the fact that she is unstoppable and yet is a main character. They don't make too many of those, the only one that comes to mind is Takuto in Star Driver and he was made very recently.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 03:22   Link #3543
Soji

^is true, just because Najimi said that she can not defeat Medaka and for this reason she wants to wait for Medaka's to graduated for resume the flash plan, which mean would be entirely useless if the one that defeat or try to reform Najimi is Medaka.
If you think about from the start Najimi hinted that even if medaka defeats her she just waiting for the next opportunity to resume her plan after all she is immortal. For this reason I hope that is not Medaka the one to reform Najimi . I hope the person who reforming Najimi is Zen especially after what we saw in the last ch .
After all we know thety have a connection from the past just we do not know what kind of relationship the two of them share during that time.
Plus this is Zen's specialty after all, he reformed Mukea, he is Shirunai friend and he is also friend of that fake killer from the plus 13.
Not to mention that until now he has been living as normal and everyone think of him a normal.
So who better that him to change Najimi's mind ,the one girl that sees all people as trash?

Last edited by Soji; 2011-04-30 at 07:06.
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 07:12   Link #3544
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post

Medaka technically lost against her own sister when she chose to inject herself. She also lost against Zen when she was brainwashed.

You're also arguing about themes that Nisio doesn't necessarily agree with. Remember that he uses this series to parody Shounen Jump on a regular basis.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 07:32   Link #3545
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Medaka technically lost against her own sister when she chose to inject herself. She also lost against Zen when she was brainwashed.

You're also arguing about themes that Nisio doesn't necessarily agree with. Remember that he uses this series to parody Shounen Jump on a regular basis.
Remember I said her losses are excused. She injected herself . And when Zenkichi fought her she was brainwashed, subconsciously holding back.
Old 2011-04-30, 17:53   Link #3546
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Yeah, Nisio's certainly far from being cliche.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 06:27   Link #3547
Soji

Spoiler ch 96 it's out.
Spoiler for spoiler ch 96:

seems to be confirmed but I'm not sure.
However, someone who knows the language can give us a summary of the contents of this spoiler?

Edit:It seem that the spoiler is confirmed.
Spoiler for for imm ch 96:

Last edited by Soji; 2011-05-02 at 08:25.
Old 2011-05-02, 15:34   Link #3548
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Hibino Hareluya never lost a fight, always winning with a shiny smile, screaming "invincible!". But that was over a decade ago
Quote:
I feel the exact opposite, somehow...as if everything I read in MB, I've read somewhere else before, but can't put my finger on just where. It is a bit of a downer, but at least since Kumagawa appeared it's gotten much more unique when it comes to characters and their relationship.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 06:07   Link #3549
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Hibino Hareluya never lost a fight, always winning with a shiny smile, screaming "invincible!". But that was over a decade ago

I feel the exact opposite, somehow...as if everything I read in MB, I've read somewhere else before, but can't put my finger on just where. It is a bit of a downer, but at least since Kumagawa appeared it's gotten much more unique when it comes to characters and their relationship.
There's nothing wrong with using stuff that's already been done, as long as you put your own interesting spin on it.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:00   Link #3550
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well he's certainly acknowledged that he's playing out a rather common genre.
Old 2011-05-04, 17:15   Link #3551
Soji

For those interested, the raw ch 96 is out.
Spoiler for ch 96:

Last edited by Soji; 2011-05-04 at 17:30.
Old 2011-05-04, 18:44   Link #3552
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
For those interested, the raw ch 96 is out.
Spoiler for ch 96:
It never implied that zenkichi was even being considered to be a successor to Medaka. Only the successor would contribute to the flask plan.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 19:03   Link #3553
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
It never implied that zenkichi was even being considered to be a successor to Medaka. Only the successor would contribute to the flask plan.
I know that and it was not my intention to say Zen as succeesor of Medaka, what I meant was more on Medaka has standar.
If you think about what they want to do is the same thing that Zen has done for 13 years.
Literally improve to keep up with Medaka getting better and better.
think of Zen is perfect (or nearly perfect) in is own way ... not too strong nor too weak, capable of doing various things and skills in different sports.
He knows how to disarm and render harmless various weapons.
In short, as a candidate for the flask plan meant that Zen was able to stay for 13 years alongside Medaka improving his skills through the training which he underwent to keep up with her.
Old 2011-05-04, 19:42   Link #3554
Last Carpet

Read the raw

Spoiler for ch96:
Old 2011-05-05, 00:59   Link #3555
Doc Astaroth

chapter 96:

Spoiler:
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 11:09   Link #3556
Sixth
Hu Tao

Seriously, they picked the wrong guy to mess. Kuwagama basically a super-boss.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 13:15   Link #3557
Soji

I honestly still do not understand why they attacked first Kumagawa. Honestly if I was in their place I would have attack first Zen with the healp of Parasite eyes is the easier for the five girls, especially given that Zen does not attack girls if is not need .. from what I remember the only one who has ever attack was Medaka 2.
Even with Mukea Zen was just on the defensive plus I doubt that parasite eyes can keep up the visions of 5 girl.
Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler ch 96:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-05-05, 15:46   Link #3558
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
I honestly still do not understand why they attacked first Kumagawa. Honestly if I was in their place I would have attack first Zen with the healp of Parasite eyes is the easier for the five girls, especially given that Zen does not attack girls if is not need .. from what I remember the only one who has ever attack was Medaka 2.
Even with Mukea Zen was just on the defensive plus I doubt that parasite eyes can keep up the visions of 5 girl.

Spoiler for spoiler:
You seem to forget that current Zenkichi is as strong as kumagawa maybe stronger phyically. Zen was kicking Kumagawa's ass while blind even after he went serious. And that was all fiction kumagawa who could heal any injury. Zen can now see through all of kumagawa's moves and Kumagawa can't heal himself. It's a pretty one sided match physically. Mid range Kumagawa has the edge ue to his precision screws. Outside of Medaka and hinokage he can tag most people without parasite seeing. With parasight seeing it's pretty much impossible for him to miss.

Zen and kuma are the strongest council members outside of Medaka. They were better off gooing for the others.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2011-05-05 at 16:08.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 22:48   Link #3559
Last Carpet

I've been re-reading the last few chapters to try and get a view of Ajimu's mindset.

Other than an affection for Misogi and Zenkichi, I can't lock on to what kind of person she is. While trying to read into her, I noticed that she said Zenkichi can keep his Abnormality but she intends to collect the interest from him.

Anyone care to guess what she means by that?
I hope she intends to turn him over to her side so he can fight against Medaka for once.
Old 2011-05-08, 02:58   Link #3560
Soji

Tenchi Hou Take@I understand what you mean and I agree with this, but what I meant was more about the Zen's character , what I mean is, I do not see a Zen as someone that attacks / fights a girls to its full potential.I Probably wrong, but this is the idea that gives me Zen character and we do not know if parasite eyes can keep up with 5 people without that Zen go in confusion.
This was what I meant with would be an easier opponent for the 5 girls. Not by lv of power but because Zen itself would not fight to the full of its possibilities against them.
Quote:
Other than an affection for Misogi and Zenkichi, I can't lock on to what kind of person she is. While trying to read into her, I noticed that she said Zenkichi can keep his Abnormality but she intends to collect the interest from him.

Anyone care to guess what she means by that?
This is something I ask myself the first time I read the ch. What do she mean with interest?
another thing that truly amazed me is Zen itself ... that is when he heard of the interest by her he has not said anything ,almost as if he accepted the pact. And this it's really strange, especially if we think what Zen told to Naze when she asked him to use parasite eyes.
But now it seems almost as if its use is unproblematic. For what he meant Najimi as interest can be anything sincerely. From what you said to yourself to even a date .
But seriously, we do not have enough information to understand what these interests are, but they are something that gives more gain than take back parasite eyes immediately.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council