AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-30, 21:57   Link #21
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
Was it not fun to read? :/
I'm sorry, but it's a self-insert fic, which automatically makes your character a Mary Sue and the entire story a wish-fulfillment fantasy, i.e. not a very good premise.

Try again?
Old 2008-03-30, 22:01   Link #22
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm sorry, but it's a self-insert fic, which automatically makes your character a Mary Sue and the entire story a wish-fulfillment fantasy, i.e. not a very good premise.

Try again?
Eh, I guess I wouldn't really know how you felt unless I saw another fic that involved self inserting.
Old 2008-03-30, 22:02   Link #23
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Eh, I guess I wouldn't really know how you felt unless I saw another fic that involved self inserting.
You need to lurk more.

Seriously, self-insert fics are more common than blades of grass on a lawn. And most of them are REALLY BAD.
Old 2008-03-30, 22:06   Link #24
Kagedanji

Quote:
You need to lurk more.

Seriously, self-insert fics are more common than blades of grass on a lawn. And most of them are REALLY BAD.
But the bad ones are only the ones where they blatantly make themselves the main character and describe them more vividly than anything else in the damn story.

Mine isn't like that is it?
Old 2008-03-30, 22:07   Link #25
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
You need to lurk more.

Most of them also don't last more than a couple of chapters, given that the whole point of writing them in the first place was to generate reviews from people talking about how awesome it was and how great they are as a writer.

Then somebody with sense comes over and sucks their sweet, sweet dreams right out from under them.

Mmm... delicious despair...

(original character stories don't apply. There's some Neat Shite you can do with expanded casts- my personal favorite being Illuminatus! Trilogy style Massive Plot Shenanigans)

Edit: As for the dango's story? It seems alright. There's not enough meat to go off on a detailed analysis, and there's a typo right at the end. "Mentally disabled," surely.
Old 2008-03-30, 22:14   Link #26
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

>_< that's why I took a different apporach in inserting myself. I made myself a slider and of course, since it's Haruhi FF, I made myself a rule that I can't mess up the storyline of Haruhi world.

...actually I wouldn't call it myself...since he's so differnt from me now.. he's more like a lazy sleeping guy with a fetish for milk. *Train Heartnet?*

overall it turned out to be a slider fic rather than self insert fic.
Old 2008-03-30, 22:28   Link #27
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
But the bad ones are only the ones where they blatantly make themselves the main character and describe them more vividly than anything else in the damn story.

Mine isn't like that is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
Most of them also don't last more than a couple of chapters, given that the whole point of writing them in the first place was to generate reviews from people talking about how awesome it was and how great they are as a writer.

Then somebody with sense comes over and sucks their sweet, sweet dreams right out from under them.

Mmm... delicious despair...
Then there's that rare gem of a good self insertion fanfic... I've read a few that I thought were real good and lasted more than 10 chapters.

Go to fanfiction.net and search for fics by carrotglace, who writes non-traditional self insertion fics.

I also recommend 'The Lazy Uchiha' as an excellent example of a self insert actually improving the underlying story.
Old 2008-03-30, 22:50   Link #28
Kagedanji

I'm getting the feeling that Kaisos and others didn't really read my fanfic because they noticed the words "self-insertion" and totally stereotyped my story and made a review.

Screw you.
Old 2008-03-30, 22:54   Link #29
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that Kaisos and others didn't really read my fanfic because they noticed the words "self-insertion" and totally stereotyped my story and made a review.

Screw you.
You take stuff way too personally, KD.

Old 2008-03-31, 03:17   Link #30
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

O. Wow.. so this thread has finally happened...

Kagedanji: Please put personal misgivings aside and address them privately. It's better that way. Don't take comments and criticisms personally or you will only be a victim from that.

In my opinion, that piece could very well go anywhere. It's too early to tell where you are gonna send'er to. I would love to find out as you put more out!

And... oho~ The legendary Warhammer 40k fanfic that caused a storm in a teacup! I wonder how Kyon(ko) will deal with one God Empress's light...

(submit a work done a while ago here. I need to do more of this, draw more fanarts, and .... while I build my model of Bismarck XD)
Spoiler for Prelude:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2008-03-31 at 03:37.
Old 2008-03-31, 03:57   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm read a few good Mary Sue (or Mary Sue-ish) novels. Diane Carey's works come to mind. Most however come out badly.
Old 2008-03-31, 05:27   Link #32
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
You take stuff way too personally, KD.
Seconded.

I am often very close to being offended by CrackDango's posts, but I'm still 50% sure he doesn't expect anybody to take them seriously.
Old 2008-03-31, 22:33   Link #33
ijuinkun

Quote:

Screw you.
What I saw was that the scene you posted told us nothing about who the narrator character is beyond being a new guy at North High School who gets drafted by Haruhi. What's his personality? What's his backstory? How is he going to fit into the paranormal events that the SOS-dan always encounters? As opposed to Kyon's well-known sarcastic philosophical musings, this character does not seem to have a distinct narrative voice.
Old 2008-03-31, 23:09   Link #34
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

...Fanfiction testing.... I wrote made this really quick so no pretty stuff...also youtube takes away quality

lol I am thinking of adding many paths soon as I am done with Haruhi path... and I need the learn how to use the program better as well.. This is what I am working on in school... apparently my comtech teachers says it's ok... so ya..
Old 2008-04-02, 19:33   Link #35
Kagedanji

>_>

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64623
Old 2008-04-13, 02:22   Link #36
Tamekichi
流離っている

My Haruhi Fan Fic is up, a sort of alt Yuki story (as if there aren't enough already).

Anyways, I'd appreaciate it if you'd read and/or comment.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65165
Old 2008-04-14, 16:37   Link #37
Kagedanji

Quote:
5 chapters now.
Old 2008-04-15, 16:23   Link #38
Tamekichi
流離っている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamekichi View Post