AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-26, 16:49   Link #841
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Well Nana had special treatment obviously, as a surrogate daughter in the place of Mariko who was out of his reach.
The manga explains why he treats Nana like a daughter. Basically the manga hints that Nana is the younger sister of No.3.(Silpelit grows at a different rate in the manga,it seems.) So he was feeling guity about what he had done to her.

Quote:
In the anime it is also stated that diclonius have been known to kill their parents
I don't think they are psycho killers in the first place.Basically at 3 years of age, you don't really get to understand the concept of good and bad.So my take is that when those Sipelits realease they had this power, they think that it's some kind of toy so they just play around with it without realising it's a dangerous weapons and end up killing their parents,notice that the unnamed Silpelit smiles as she killed those police SWAT team. Like what Shirakawa comments about Mariko when she did not kill Nana out right. Of course you can try a real life experiment by giving a 3 year old a loaded gun and chances are that you will get injured or killed.

Quote:
I dunno, killing would probably be more satisfying, especially for a kid. Although the diclonii may be highly intelligent even at a young age, in which case that kind of deviousness could be explained.
As I have said, Diclos have 2 brains and they can be quite intelligient even at a young age.No.3 is 4 years old FYI.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 17:02   Link #842
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Each diclonius we see has had a pretty rough life which can account for it's violence. Even Lucy, who we see as a "free" child, isn't violent until she is pushed to that point by bullies.
Yeah that's obviously one of the factors that come into play here, it's unfortunately human nature to be hostile towards things that they don't understand or that are not considered normal by society's standards. Although we only really know about Lucy's past and upbringing while the others were quickly disposed of or held for experimentation in the lab (not exactly a healthy enviroment either). I'm not convinced it's entirely in the upbringing, it may be a genetic trait where mankind is considered the natural enemy instictively. On the other hand, they are related to regular humans so that may counteract that instinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
I don't think they are psycho killers in the first place.Basically at 3 years of age, you don't really get to understand the concept of good and bad.So my take is that when those Sipelits realease they had this power, they think that it's some kind of toy so they just play around with it without realising it's a dangerous weapons and end up killing their parents,notice that the unnamed Silpelit smiles as she killed those police SWAT team. Like what Shirakawa comments about Mariko when she did not kill Nana out right. Of course you can try a real life experiment by giving a 3 year old a loaded gun and chances are that you will get injured or killed.
Perhaps they are simply portrayed that way, and it was a biased view since it was the one from the organization that was holding them. We still see alot of unnecessary force being used though, even towards people that were just trying to be helpful. And most of it seemed like calculated violence. I guess most diclonius are pretty screwed up due to their upbringing. Eventhough they are young, their apparent high intelligence should make it possible for them to differentiate between right and wrong. I think they just choose to abide by their own set of morals because they realize they're superior and powerful compared to humans, and this power corrupts them and they think of most humans as insignificant bugs to be squashed, barring some exceptions to which they have some emotional attachment. So deep down, they still want to be accepted and loved. Unfortunately most of them are kinda picky about who they want to be accepted by and tend to kill the rest.

Quote:
As I have said, Diclos have 2 brains and they can be quite intelligient even at a young age.No.3 is 4 years old FYI.
2 brains? I thought they only had an overdeveloped part of the brain (pineal gland was much larger than normal, checked the manga)?

Last edited by Trax; 2004-10-26 at 17:25.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 17:26   Link #843
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Eventhough they are young, their apparent high intelligence should make it possible for them to differentiate between right and wrong. I think they just choose to abide by their own set of morals because they realize they're superior and powerful compared to humans, and this power corrupts them and they think of most humans as insignificant bugs to be squashed, barring some exceptions to which they have some emotional attachment.
Maybe ? But do they know that their powers have the ability to kill ? I still say those young Sils are like kids carrying a gun wthout knowing what it is.

Quote:
2 brains? I thought they only had an overdeveloped part of the brain (pineal gland was much larger than normal, checked the manga)?
You can say the overdeveloped Pineal Galnd is a brain on it's own.How else can you explain the split personality ? (Horny Prof. made a comment later on in Vol.3 that Diclos will have a tendancy to become Schizo because of this.)
Old 2004-10-26, 17:36   Link #844
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

yup, it seems they are not lying about Diclonius having an instinct not to harm animals, so I guess there are indeed some genetic traits that make Diclonius instinctively hostile towards humans. Hmm... even a lot of kids without guns like to play with the lives of insects and animals, I'm sure kids with a gun won't try to avoid harming animals, they will be dangerous to other people and animals alike, so I guess those Diclonius are somewhat different from just overpowered kids...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 17:58   Link #845
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
You can say the overdeveloped Pineal Galnd is a brain on it's own.How else can you explain the split personality ? (Horny Prof. made a comment later on in Vol.3 that Diclos will have a tendancy to become Schizo because of this.)
Isn't Lucy the only one with a split personality?
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 18:00   Link #846
dreamless

Mariko has split personalities... but it seems Nana doesn't really have split personalities...
Old 2004-10-26, 18:54   Link #847
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Mariko has split personalities... but it seems Nana doesn't really have split personalities...
In case you're wondering. Manga shows Mariko in her Myuu mode which the anime didn't.

And Nana shows her evil mode whenver she gets upset but she didn't lose her composure and go around killing random people.Guess must be because all those knocks she recieve on her head with those balls.
Old 2004-10-26, 19:01   Link #848
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Well regular humans can have split personalities aswell, and we only have 1 brain. But it's possible that this overdeveloped part of their brain makes them more susceptible to developing a split personality, all that I have seen in the manga though was that it had to do with some sort of sixth sense. And also their vector powers, I assume.

In a way, all diclonii seem to have a mild form of split personalities, or at the least a severe mood change brought on by aggravation, which also results in some physiological changes (the evil eyes along with the killer mentality). In Lucy's case, her Nyuu personality is an escape from her regular self probably because she was trying to escape her killer mentality and her personalities were primarily split between these different states of mind. Still, in the anime Lucy did show remorse as her normal self in the end, I wonder if that meant both her personalities were reunited. As for Mariko, I didn't really notice a split personality, only Lucy really had one? (but I don't know the manga beyond chapter 8, unfortunately)

By the way, I was checking the last episode to see what Lucy's state of mind (the eyes) were like when she was talking to Kouta, and she said "I was born to kill humans". That seems to confirm this genetic trait, it's an instinct they are born with. The future looks very bleak if the number of diclonii will skyrocket in 5 years as Lucy says, unless they can somehow overcome this urge to kill.

Last edited by Trax; 2004-10-26 at 19:17.
Old 2004-10-26, 19:19   Link #849
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
In Lucy's case, her Nyuu personality is an escape from her regular self probably because she was trying to escape her killer mentality and her personalities were primarily split between these different states of mind.
No.Nyuu was "born" after Lucy recieve a shot to the head by the anti-tank sniper rifle. Like I said in this thread here , a serious knock to the head will send the smaller brain into dormant mode, giving the control back to the bigger brain which remain undeveloped intellectually since the age of 3,thus explaining why Nyuu is like a child.

Quote:
Still, in the anime Lucy did show remorse as her normal self in the end, I wonder if that meant both her personalities were reunited. As for Mariko, I didn't really notice a split personality? (but I don't know the manga beyond chapter 8, unfortunately)
Since the personality belongs to 2 different brain, it's will be near impossible for them to be united. Mariko shows her Myuu mode in Vol.7 of the manga.You can't miss it.
Old 2004-10-26, 19:29   Link #850
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I only have the anime to go on, and a very limited part of the manga.

The knock to the head was one of the things I thought of too (see my first post on the previous page), but I thought that was only the catalyst for the split personality. Your explanation makes sense though.

I read that that confrontation between Lucy and Kouta had a much more natural result (the semi-forgiveness in the last episode was pretty hard to comprehend), so I'm curious about how the manga handles the story from that point on. Unfortunately, I won't be able to read that any time soon. :/
Old 2004-10-26, 23:28   Link #851
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Hum, I just started watching this.
Spoiler:
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 01:20   Link #852
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
That's kinda wrong dude.... Watch the show first before making any such extreme opinions.
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 08:22   Link #853
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 08:51   Link #854
Spuffy
オウカ~

I finally got my R2 DVD today. Most important note is that the show was made with 16:9 aspect ratio and they just cut off the edges making it 4:3 for TV broadcast. That just makes the DVD more worth it, since you virtually get more. And secondly, even though it aired on AT-X, they still censored out some parts of it. Why they did that, I have no idea. I don't think they were any worse than other scenes in it.

First example, Kisaragi's 'wrong time, wrong location'
Spoiler for After all, it was edited:

And second example, Bandou's "Nor glasses or contacts will help you now'
Spoiler for This one MIGHT be slightly worse:
Spuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 09:22   Link #855
dreamless

Quote:
Spoiler:
wait until you watch ep9, where she
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-27, 11:16   Link #856
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Spoiler:

Unfortunately, I refuse to read your spoilers until I finish this series. By the way Dreamless, what character is that in your avatar?
Old 2004-10-27, 11:42   Link #857
dreamless

Quote:
Spoiler:

Unfortunately, I refuse to read your spoilers until I finish this series. By the way Dreamless, what character is that in your avatar?
well
Spoiler:
the character is Luna from Uninhabited Planet Survive.
Old 2004-10-27, 23:31   Link #858
Elbowlick
Sakura Fan

Quote:
Spoiler:

I know just what you mean!
I hated seeing that happen to poor, cute, Nana. ;_;

I'd love to see a series of short, 3-5 minute episodes featuring Nana, having a happy life and fun at school and engaging in all kinds of zany antics with Mayu. : D

On that note, here's a comic of Nana getting hurt. ^^;

More here: Nana's Everyday Life ! : )

Here's another with Henrietta and Rico, too ...

Last edited by Elbowlick; 2004-10-27 at 23:54.
Elbowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 23:50   Link #859
Spuffy
オウカ~

Quote:
On that note, here's a comic of Nana getting hurt. ^^;
That one was really great. It gave me a good chuckle. Good job.
Spuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 00:43   Link #860
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Just finished it up. It was perfection IMO.

Tags
drama, ecchi, horror, loli, romance, seinen