AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 21:39   Link #441
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Infodumps? K's really tame when it comes to that, lol. You wanted infodumps, there's Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.

K's pretty much original content compared to the truckloads of adaptations we had, so I guess I understand why many people are "shocked" at what the first episode offered. Right now, sit back and enjoy the ride.

(I might just be able to watch this tomorrow on Animax.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 22:05   Link #442
Excorsism

Watching this anime for that loli alone. Damn her design makes me go aflutter.

If Kuroko was any indicator, this might sell quite well just for the fujoshi antics alone, lol.
Old 2012-10-05, 22:08   Link #443
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Holy sh%t....that art, that hip hop masterpiece of a soundtrack, that futuristic vibe....

HOLY SH%T
Old 2012-10-05, 22:10   Link #444
Insane
Banned

Feels like watching a mixture of Durarara and Baccano. The plot feels ambiguous since the premiere didn't give much hints and the word "why" keep floating in my head even after watching it. But overall it was very cool and shiny.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 22:34   Link #445
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
When such context isn't there it can cause confusion or perplexity for a lot of viewers, and I don't think that viewers should be faulted for that. Wanting to avoid such viewer confusion and perplexity is why anime relies on "info-dumping" and "dull exposition". It relies on it for very good reason.
But do you absolutely need it in the first episode?My personal take is that a first episode is like the opening 10 minutes of a 2h movie and there's plenty of movies that have flashy intro scenes and then go to exposition afterwards,so that's why it doesn't bother me .

Of course I understand the difference with movies is that once you're in a theatre the director knows you're likely going to watch the full thing while with a TV show there's no such guarantee and it seems audiences are not that willing to wait more than one episode.

There was an interview with Masashiro Ando (director of Canaan,HSI and this season Zetsuen no Tempest) a couple years ago and here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Nikkei released an interview article with anime director Ando Masahiro. He pointed out a recent trend that the audience of anime programs tend to drop a series by the impression of the first episode. In order to reach these audience, he intentionally put excessive descriptions of the characters and the scenes.

Ando said "It's challenging to let people just watch a series. ... Nowadays, young people are surrounded by abundant amusements. They can spare time only for a couple of series. That's why most of the series are dropped only by the impression of episode 1." "It was surprising to know that the audience want a clear presentation of 'What this anime is about' in the first episode." "Super-high density and pace of the story is one of the ideas. I'm still seeking the solution to appeal to such people effectively."
What surprises me about that interview is that it came after Canaan,a show where the first episode was quite criticized for being confusing,so even if though he thought he was putting a lot of info it mustn't have been enough (and as a viewer I have to say it's at least on par with "K" in the "why" department) while this season in Zetsuen no Tempest he's provided more exposition in the 1st episode and it seems to have been well received.
Old 2012-10-05, 22:45   Link #446
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
I'm not a fan of yaoi, but I have to raise my eyebrows a bit at how people are cringing at just a little hint of it. I mean, if girls can be fine with yuri without being lesbian, and can accept yuri-liking males, how come guys just have to treat yaoi fangirls like devil incarnates?

Also, that loli is so hnnngh. <3
I don't know maybe because its easier to imagine 2 girls relationship, compared to 2 guys sticking it in into each others holes.
Of course it can be platonic and all, but in most cases the yaoi mangas are so sick I wouldn't touch them with a stick.
Old 2012-10-05, 22:58   Link #447
Fevvers
a regular van veen

You know, I do at times like shows that's all style with no substance (not to say this K will continue to be like that throughout hopefully), but the first episode of K feels more like a music video more than anything else. Yeah, definitely good animation (mostly unnecessary though I think), but not even the good animation was enough to make me stop asking "Why?". I've seen some people compare this to Baccano and Durarara, but what made me instantly love the first episode of Baccano (aside from the 1930s America setting) was how completely chaotic and anarchistic the introductions were with an almost sneaky meta-fictional wink.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 23:04   Link #448
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Hints?

If that moment involved two girls, people would be dancing with joy at the prospect of yuri.
But he looks so cute.
Old 2012-10-05, 23:39   Link #449
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
I don't know maybe because its easier to imagine 2 girls relationship, compared to 2 guys sticking it in into each others holes.
Of course it can be platonic and all, but in most cases the yaoi mangas are so sick I wouldn't touch them with a stick.
Yeah, but it's highly unlikely that this show, with all its boob-girls and sexy catgirls and all, will turn into a full-fledged fujoshi show. Just bear with the "hints", guys - they're nothing close to sticking stuff into each others' holes.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 23:42   Link #450
orion

Quote:
Yeah, but it's highly unlikely that this show, with all its boob-girls and sexy catgirls and all, will turn into a full-fledged fujoshi show. Just bear with the "hints", guys - they're nothing close to sticking stuff into each others' holes.
The show is rated TVMA so something is going to happen. Be it violence or sex or both.
Old 2012-10-05, 23:59   Link #451
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The show is rated TVMA so something is going to happen. Be it violence or sex or both.
... Still think the likelihood of yaoi sex appearing is close to none. I don't see what people are getting so uptight about.
Old 2012-10-06, 00:15   Link #452
orion

Quote:
... Still think the likelihood of yaoi sex appearing is close to none. I don't see what people are getting so uptight about.
I don't think actual yaoi sex is going to be shown either but a blush scene and 2 guys under the same umbrella is enough to tick some people off it seems.

I can't wait to see the reactions when Kuro is cooking.
Old 2012-10-06, 00:27   Link #453
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Ohh I judged from the PVs that it would be Neko cooking, because those hands looked girly. XD Heh, that sounds interesting.

(Yeah, that's my point - I don't see why people are getting ticked off by that random blush scene. I mean, it's pretty natural for Shiro to be impressed with all of those weird things happening all of a sudden, right? And the umbrella thing didn't even look romantic, and Neko was also there.)
Old 2012-10-06, 00:29   Link #454
-khriz-

I was going to watch this anime but after seeing the main character falling in love with another dude it was a totally turn off for me, too bad because it has great animation.
-khriz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 00:55   Link #455
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't think actual yaoi sex is going to be shown either but a blush scene and 2 guys under the same umbrella is enough to tick some people off it seems.

I can't wait to see the reactions when Kuro is cooking.
I would absolutely love it if the whole series kept the yaoi aspects confined to subtle little things like Shiro blushing, and then -- BAM! -- the last scene of the last episode is Shiro and Kurou making out.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 01:52   Link #456
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -khriz- View Post
I was going to watch this anime but after seeing the main character falling in love with another dude it was a totally turn off for me, too bad because it has great animation.
The main character fell in love with another dude? Wow, you read more into things than fujoshi do.
Old 2012-10-06, 02:33   Link #457
~kurayami~

My mind was full of woof with the first episode of K and eventually spiraled down hill as the show continued. It was like a shounen made for females and putting forth the effort into meaningless things, not only was the story inaccurate the only redeeming quality of the anime was looking at a goth lolita stroll in a manner of her own beliefs with a group of mishaps.

You have your pretty boy cops in which most of them seemed to be highered for their looks and noting else for them. The power or even the thought of chasing down Yashiro was pretty poor since they're under the impression he may have some other kind of psychotic personality.

Lacking dialogue and pseudo yaoi innuendos. It's like most of the males were there to woof each other at the start of the show.

I was done after he wrapped his arms around his savior in the alleyway. I think I had 5 minutes to go but I couldn't push myself to finish all of it, sorry to say but I'll be dropping the series.
~kurayami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 02:43   Link #458
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
If that moment involved two girls, people would be dancing with joy at the prospect of yuri.
Yeah it's kind of funny seeing people being in denial about this moment but as you said if it involved two girls everyone here would be yuri fanwanking about it.
Old 2012-10-06, 02:45   Link #459
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kurayami~ View Post
It was like an action anime made for females
Sorry,couldn't resist fixing that

Every time the term shonen gets abused a kitten dies
Old 2012-10-06, 02:48   Link #460
~kurayami~

Quote: