AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-04, 08:45   Link #1
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Thumbs up Hatarakiman : Anno Moyoko latest series

I wanted to open a thread about it because i really think it deserves it and that it's sort of a shame there's nothing about it in here already.

Matsukata Hiroko is a 28 year-old journalist working as an editor for a weekly information magazine called "Jidai". The manga describes her life as a Hatarakiman (Workaholic) amongst her colleagues and editing chiefs, and her struggle against herself and her own frustrations, as a journalist, a woman and a lover.

Serialized in Shôgakukan's "Morning", 2 volumes have been released so far. I have to say i only read the first one, for now, in which Matsukata is distressed over the fate of the secretary of a maggoty minister of foreign affairs.

Since "Happy Mania" Anno made herself famous for her humour and the psychological accuracy of her characters. At that time her drawings might have looked a bit awkward to some in the first place ( i still don't agree...), but with this new manga, her line is now completely flawless, live and more expressive than any other. I wouldn't bet it will be licensed one day, as it's more serious and maybe more focusing on "pure" Japanese matters than Happy Mania, and i'm not sure english scans are already available ( i didn't really look), but if there are, just have a look. This is real good stuff, believe me. And if there aren't, read Happy Mania instead, you will tell me about it.

I don't know why, i feel like a salesman. lol
Old 2006-04-10, 14:58   Link #2
raphaël
trainee archangel

Arrow insisting

Yeah, i know how pathetic it is to dig up my own thread, but i'm finished reading the vol.2, and i confirm this is an excellent manga. Maybe not as fun as expected, sometimes even moving, or sad, but good, really good, and never ever boring. In this volume the chapters tend to be more scenaristically separated, and focus on second roles, which are all related with Matsukata and her job. I won't tell more, because i still don't know how to use that spoiler thing ( don't laugh please, could someone teach me? ^^) and i'm a lazy guy.

anyway, here are the covers

maybe this will make you want to give a try...
Old 2006-04-10, 16:28   Link #3
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

I trust the taste of a guy who quote Celine but I must unfortunately inform you that there's no scans of it in this world(at least not on manganews wich is the same).
The covers looks great,happy mania is licensed in my country so perhaps I will be lucky in a few years.
Old 2006-04-11, 08:57   Link #4
raphaël
trainee archangel

Talking happyraph

Thanks for trusting me. Thanks for answering. And thanks for noticing the signature. More than being a human failure (racist, anti-semitic, seriously pro-nazi, deeply machistic and homophobic), Céline (1894-1961) remains one of the greatest french writer ever, and "Journey to the end of the night" (1932) one the best, if not the best, 20th-century book written in french. Everyone read it if you get the chance, according to wiki, the latest english translation is very good ( i couldn't really tell, because as you may have guessed, i am not a native speaker). The first 50 pages are somehow boring but...

i apologize.

I too checked up a bit for scans but as you say there's none. I think official releases won't be out soon... Why, Americans and Europeans are less used to wait long as Japanese do.
Basically, I just wanted to introduce this series here, hoping you will remember this thread if you come across it someday. And i think i will post again as soon as vol.3 is out. You can count on me.
Old 2006-04-11, 09:58   Link #5
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Sure,I do'nt mind if you make a few summaries,it looks fun.The trials of the japanes OL are always fun to read.
Old 2006-04-12, 09:16   Link #6
pnyxtr
Geezer

If you expect this to be about OL, you will be disappointed.
Anyway, the first chapter is actually available translated to English, over at Entropy.
Old 2006-04-12, 14:32   Link #7
raphaël
trainee archangel

Exclamation more than OLs

You're right, actually, i'd say Matsukata is not the average japanese OL you could meet everywhere. First, she's a journalist, with quite a lot of responsabilities ( though her editors in chief give her "strict" orders she can't desobey ), and then she thinks way to much, about her job and those responsabilities, for that ( sorry if i seem macho, because i am not, of course). Plus, she is ambitious, she has an important dream ( i won't tell here, no spoiler), a dream quite obvious, but for which she looks like she has concrete plans, and a tremendous will to fight. That's not common amongst OL, i guess...
Old 2006-05-18, 00:35   Link #8
raphaël
trainee archangel

OK, just a little report for all the craving fans ( I know there must be some. ).

As there was a preview which says "next volume, out this spring" at the end of vol.2, I checked in the mangastore near my place and the girl told me she still has nothing on her release lists, which seem settled until late June...
I guess those can change easily, but I just wanted to tell you all, in case you were waiting. Who knows...
Old 2006-05-18, 04:28   Link #9
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Wait, isn't Anno still writing Sugar Sugar Rune? Is she doing two manga at once?

How busy of her.

Frankly, I'd like to know what it's like being married to Hideki Anno. It'd probably want to make me draw two manga at once too.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-05-18, 06:18   Link #10
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Frankly, I'd like to know what it's like being married to Hideki
Anno. It'd probably want to make me draw two manga at once too.
And I'd like to know how it's like being married to Moyoco Anno, honestly. Sometimes she seems even more freaky to me than the guy who did Evangelion (in Happy Mania, for instance).

Uh, I read the chapter of Hataraki man... I like it. This, I'm with her and Solanin are my favourite Entropy titles. Hopefully this thread will stay alive ^^
Old 2006-05-18, 08:54   Link #11
raphaël
trainee archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion
And I'd like to know how it's like being married to Moyoco Anno, honestly. Sometimes she seems even more freaky to me than the guy who did Evangelion (in Happy Mania, for instance).
LMAOROTF She is

Quarkboy, actually I think she is. In her afterword to the first volume, that's precisely what she says " I won't hide it, i'm a workaholic too". lol

And I agree with you about Anno Hideaki.

Oh, and by the way, to all the people wondering about it, the two names are written differently in kanji. No former relationship between the two then. ^^ Anno Moyoko of course kept her own name after she got married.

Last word : Rion, don't worry, as long as i'm alive, this thread won't disappear. Because it's MY thread and i'm sort of proud of it. heehee I usually avoid to open threads because I feel it always involves some responsibility, as small as it can be. But i really fell in love with Hiroko ( and Shirakawa Midoriko too. OMG what a woman!) and I knew it was time for me to say it aloud. lol
So thank you very much for answering.
Old 2006-05-19, 19:09   Link #12
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Wait, isn't Anno still writing Sugar Sugar Rune? Is she doing two manga at once?
Well how many brain cells does it take to write Sugar Sugar Rune? j/k As one of her few (or only?) works aimed at children it can't be that taxing. And SSR follows the magical girl formula anyway. (Though honestly I kinda like the series, just not as much as her other stuff.)

I'll have to see this Hatarakiman.
Old 2006-05-19, 20:15   Link #13
raphaël
trainee archangel

Lightbulb let's all check on SSR

Yes, you have to, Jenn.

Anyway, though you're joking, I think you're slightly underestimating creation for children. I didn't read SSR yet, but I'm sure it must be quite "taxing" too, especially if you don't have any experience in that field (like her).
Don't you agree?
Old 2006-05-24, 21:09   Link #14
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Yes, you have to, Jenn.

Anyway, though you're joking, I think you're slightly underestimating creation for children. I didn't read SSR yet, but I'm sure it must be quite "taxing" too, especially if you don't have any experience in that field (like her).
Don't you agree?
Oh no I'm sure its a lot of work to create the manga, I just mean that Sugar Sugar Rune doesn't seem as original as other stories. (And magical girl shoujo stories in particular have a reputation for being formulaic.) Anno adds some nice twists to SSR, but from the one volume I read it wasn't that special. Still, I think the strength was in the execution which made it cute to read, and I am interested in reading more of it.

There's probably more pressure on her with the Sugar Sugar Rune series since it was made into an anime as well.

I am more interested in Hatarakiman based on how you described it. Sounds more like my age group at least, which is probably why I'm not crazy about Sugar Sugar Rune.
Old 2006-05-25, 01:26   Link #15
raphaël
trainee archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
I am more interested in Hatarakiman based on how you described it.
I'm taking this as a compliment, thanks.

And yes, you're probably right about SSR. I just downloaded ep.1 so I can't tell. Just have to watch it now.

Then, by the way, I bought "Sakuran" yesterday, you know, her geisha story which is still serialized in "Evening", as far I know of. It looks fun, and very original, but that's quite a thick book so I'll review it in a while.
Old 2006-08-09, 09:32   Link #16
raphaël
trainee archangel

OK, sorry to bump my own thread, but I guess this is quite big news. I don't know if it's been posted somewhere else, I guess it must have been, but hell, let's repeat it:

The manga I just talked about in the previous thread, Sakuran, will be adaptated as a live-action movie which will be in theaters in the beginning of 2007, starring Tsuchiya Anna, whom some of you must know , Kanno Miho (Kitano's "Dolls"), Andô Masanobu (Battle Royale, Kids return) and directed by Ninagawa Mika, as her first film.

The official site for the film, in Japanese.
Old 2006-08-27, 14:00   Link #17
riseabove77

Hello. I'm with the scanlation group that is currently scanlating HATARAKI MAN. I'm sorry we've been so slow with the releases, but we lost our translator several months ago and have been searching for another ever since then. A friend was kind enough to point out this thread to me. Would you be interested in translating the series for us? We do high quality work. Check out our website: www.entropy-manga.com

If you would like to see the first chapter we scanlated or if you have any questions, please email us at info@entropy-manga.com.

riseabove77
Old 2006-08-29, 02:06   Link #18
Rion
Ramune~

Ah, I can't wait for the anime to come out... lucily Arienai will sub it *_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
The manga I just talked about in the previous thread, Sakuran, will be adaptated as a live-action movie which will be in theaters in the beginning of 2007, starring Tsuchiya Anna, whom some of you must know , Kanno Miho (Kitano's "Dolls"), Andô Masanobu (Battle Royale, Kids return) and directed by Ninagawa Mika, as her first film.

The official site for the film, in Japanese.
Wow, that's a surprise! Thanks for pointing it out O.o

I have read the first volume of Sakuran or something, and honestly, I don't know what's so good about it. The drawing style is gorgeous, of course, but seeing the protagonist swearing and getting angry the whole time is just plain annoying. I prefer Hataraki Man by far. (And oh my, Tsuchiya Anna in that role is difficult to imagine as well ^^; )

Hump! I wonder why I actually find it slightly rude to come to this thread solely to advertise for a translator... but maybe that's just me. (Not to forget that
- this thread is so unpopular that it doesn't make any difference
- I think that there is one single person that might be competent and interested enough to be asked about doing this, one just have to idle around here a bit and look for who it is)
Old 2006-10-23, 01:39   Link #19
Simon
気持ち悪い

Requesting a couple of manga details for the Wikipedia article:

1. When did serialisation in Morning begin? The first tank should have this, but I don't have a copy (yet).

2. The anime site gives Kobayashi's age as 28 in one place, 32 in another. Does the manga mention his age anywhere?

Thanks!
Old 2006-10-23, 07:39   Link #20
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Requesting a couple of manga details for the Wikipedia article:

1. When did serialisation in Morning begin? The first tank should have this, but I don't have a copy (yet).

2. The anime site gives Kobayashi's age as 28 in one place, 32 in another. Does the manga mention his age anywhere?

Thanks!
1. The manga lists his age as 29, in chapter 3, page 70.

2. According to the tank: volume 1 was serialized in 2004 morning KC #15, `9,24,28,32,36,37 and 41.

Volume 2 was serialzed in 2004 volume 47, 51 2005 volumes 4,5, 10,14, 18, 28, 32

Volume 3 (just arrived inthe mail )was serialized in 2005 36,37, 45, 46 2006 3, 4, 19, 24, 28, and 32.
Sam Pinansky
Closed Thread