Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-25, 15:35   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 524 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-11-25, 16:00   Link #2
james0246

Predictions: Usopp will appear in the land of the Wild Things . By defeating the wandering beasts (with his stories), Ussop will conquer his fears, turning into a new man (a combination of his two personalities)...or he will end up on boring ol' Sniper Island where he will gain a mandatory power-up.

Additionally, Luffy will learn what the phrase "Boundry Issues" means...
Old 2008-11-25, 17:44   Link #3
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Predictions: Usopp will appear in the land of the Wild Things . By defeating the wandering beasts (with his stories), Ussop will conquer his fears, turning into a new man (a combination of his two personalities)...or he will end up on boring ol' Sniper Island where he will gain a mandatory power-up.

Additionally, Luffy will learn what the phrase "Boundry Issues" means...
What?? Dude that's horrible prediction lol. jk.

But yeah. Continue with Ace/Garp Luffy Impel Down arc. Don't go into the other chars please.
Old 2008-11-25, 18:08   Link #4
marvelB

Personally, I'm still sorta hoping that Usopp will be on an island where he'll face a relatively powerful opponent (like another one of those Buster Call VAs). I don't really expect him to "win" against an opponent like that, but I really would like to see him use his ingenuity to survive against opponents of that caliber instead of the usual running away. I'd actually go as far as to say that I'd like him to meet face-to-face with Van Auger (Blackbeard's sniper), but that would probably be overkill for Usopp at this point, especially since we're just starting to see him grow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
But yeah. Continue with Ace/Garp Luffy Impel Down arc. Don't go into the other chars please.

I dunno.... I think the fact that we've got updates on 3 other crewmembers means that the next series of chapters will focus on the rest of the crew. The Impel Down arc is undoubtedly going to be epic, so it wouldn't be surprising for Oda to give us a little appetizer (updates on the rest of the crew) before serving us fans the main course (Luffy's adventure in an underwater prison). And besides, I still want to see what happened to Zoro! Since that pig island spoiler was fake, maybe he'll turn out to be on a penguin island instead!

Oh, and something I recently realized.... maybe that Okama island that Sanji is on now was a location that Zeff and his old crew visited during their adventures in the Grand Line. Maybe it's even possible that the okamas have information about All Blue (something that the story hasn't touched on in a good while)....
Old 2008-11-25, 18:13   Link #5
fireportgas

I agree with the Ussop prediction!Oh god he has to turn into a real man some time,he can't chicken forever!Can you imagine Ussop acting like Zoro?Well my predictions are:Chopper will end in an island where people sell drugs and stuff like that :P so he can learn something to master his monster poing!Zoro may be in a samurai island but I'm pretty much sure that Oda will surely put him in strange place with weird things!Robin in a prehistoric island where she can find some ruins and Brooke in women's island again who specialize in music!

Of course I am interested to see about Garp/Ace discussion but I also want to see what will happen to Sanji,it was so damn funny the last picture of manga 523 ha ha ha!
Old 2008-11-25, 18:58   Link #6
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

This Okama stuff is slightly disturbing...but funny at the same time. It's great that Sanji is going to learn to hone in his kicking skill, but I only hope he doesn't start with any graceful swan BS. It would really ruin his cool, hands-in-my-pockets, casually-smoking-whilst-fighting aura. Then again, I shouldn't be too anxious, seeing as Oda has never failed before. I'll just sit it out and enjoy the ride, as usual.

On the subject of Usopp, I'm thinking, even though it's too obvious, he's probably going to end up on Sharpshooter Island, or Elbaff. Preferably sharpshooter Island. 100 Shots, 100 Hits. Lulu lulu!

And my, Ace is definitely looking under the weather. Although it was surprisingly refreshing to see Oda do that panel with such attention to detail. It reminded me that he really can draw awesomely well, and really brought out the feeling of dejection in the scene.

And, of course, Luffy and Boa are as cute as ever. How sweet. It's such a simplistic, yet totally on key little couple. Makes you feel all warm and gooey inside. I want to see Boa's true potential, and her real current bounty.

It's also very dangerous for the World-G-unit to think that they could send the Shichibukai without their crews to fight Whitebeard. It smacks of folly. Do they think Whitebeard is going to just let all the Shichibukai and Admirals casually board the Moby Dick? Nonsense. I think better of him than that. They're goign to get damaged severely for looking down on him like that.

The way I see it, they need all the help and manpower they can get. As a side note, it's very cool to see an infiltration arc this time for the break-in, instead of a full scale invasion of troops. It takes the World Government's reputation a bit more serously. This time they can't just charge in, seeing as the Admirals and Sengoku, plus Kuma etc will be there.

Be great to see this one play out. Kudos to Oda, the genius and his awesome plot...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2008-11-25, 22:38   Link #7
strawhat11

ZORO will probably end up on an island where he can learn how to master his new sword since he hasn't done any work with it since his fight with Odz. Franky will probably have his back turned to metal like his front and hopefully learn more about Vegapunk.
Also, i think it would be interesting if Shanks got involved in the WB/WG war. also anyone else think luffy needs a crew as big as WB's or Shanks' if he's going to be the pirate king??
Old 2008-11-26, 00:07   Link #8
marvelB

I already gave my view on the possibility of Shanks joining Whitebeard in the war in the last chapter thread, so I'll just quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I have my doubts about Shanks joining Whitebeard in the war.... he warned him about Blackbeard from the start, but old Newgate just wouldn't listen. I'd think he would just stay out of the way and let Whitebeard reap what he sowed....

And.... I'm really not understanding why people want Luffy to amass some huge pirate army to conquer the New World. It's just not necessary. Having hundreds of people as Straw-Hats would leave little room for character development, which is one of the strongest factors of this series. Besides, it's not like Luffy's crew is the only "small, yet powerful" pirate crew in the Grand Line.... both Kidd and Law, fellow Supernovas, have relatively small yet notorious crews, as well. It's quality that will count in the end, not quantity.

Plus, Luffy said in the beginning of the series that he wanted ten people in his crew anyway (funny how this fact has been pointed out in just about every other chapter thread). So there should only be one more member......
Old 2008-11-26, 00:48   Link #9
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Plus, Luffy said in the beginning of the series that he wanted ten people in his crew anyway (funny how this fact has been pointed out in just about every other chapter thread). So there should only be one more member......
yep but the biggest possiblity of whoever the new crewmate will be is with whoever Luffy meets.

which makes me think someone from Impel Down could be a possible candidate, which I think would quite interesting.
Old 2008-11-26, 01:13   Link #10
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
yep but the biggest possiblity of whoever the new crewmate will be is with whoever Luffy meets.

which makes me think someone from Impel Down could be a possible candidate, which I think would quite interesting.
Jinbei!!
The guy was thrown in prison,
he refuses to fight, even willing to give up his Shichibukai status
Luffy plans to go to Fishman island and who better to help you get there than Jinbei?
I beleive Luffy will get Jinbei out of prison.
Old 2008-11-26, 01:20   Link #11
marvelB

Well, I can certainly see Jinbei being an ally, but like Hancock, he'll most likely have powers that are too unbalanced to make him a suitable permanent crewmember. Plus, we don't even know his stance on humans. He may not be very fond of them either, as was the case with Arlong and Fisher Tiger.....
Old 2008-11-26, 02:39   Link #12
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Spoiler:

Panties.

..... oh, the rest? It's up.
Old 2008-11-26, 02:52   Link #13
james0246

Thanks for the spoilers Aohige.

Wow, Zoro landed on the same island as Perona. Now that is a surprise I was certainly not expecting (My "theory" a few weeks ago was that Usopp would end up with her, but instead Zoro ). I wonder how her powers will help Zoro evolve as a swordsman.

That being said, my favourite scenes from the scans are the Shichibukai dining together. It was great to see all of them together, laughing and making merry. Their combined power...just imagining their future fights, sends shivers down my spine. This arc is setting itself up as something phenomenal.
Old 2008-11-26, 03:33   Link #14
Prestige

Omg insane spoilers.

This has to be biggest build up in manga history
Old 2008-11-26, 04:07   Link #15
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Omg insane spoilers.

This has to be biggest build up in manga history
Yeah no kidding, ever since the Blackbeard vs Ace fight, we've been left with "This was a mere trigger for the great event that was yet to occur!"

And we're probably going to be seeing it veerrrryyyy soon.

How many theories we have on this "Great occurrence."? And does it have to do with some very important death?
Old 2008-11-26, 07:36   Link #16
stigi

wow, i bet the cliffhangers during the Impel Down Arc will be insane.
Old 2008-11-26, 08:15   Link #17
marvelB

Hahah, I love the Brooke scene. Zoro is most definitely a surprise, as well (and it's even MORE funny considering how many people guessed that Usopp would be sent to Perona's location!). Speaking of Usopp, it looks like he's at a pretty interesting location (which is NOT Elbaf, thankfully). And Robin is a.... slave? Maybe that bridge has something to do with the lost history...? I guess Chopper ended up at some medical island (the people there sure are fat!). Also, unless I'm mistaken, it looks like Momonga and his marines were shocked by Hancock eating up all the food that she actually fed Luffy, which is absolutely no surprise whatsoever (love Momonga's expression, though)!

And I gotta say.... for some reason, I find that image of the Shichibukai dining together hilarious. Doflamingo and Blackbeard in particular do NOT seem to have proper table etiquitte. It's great to see Moria again (and as I figured, he still has his injuries from his battle with Luffy). Pretty interesting to see Mihawk there, as well. I wonder if he actually intends to fight in the war, even though he's present...?

Definitely a winning chapter, here.
Old 2008-11-26, 08:46   Link #18
Paraden1989

so where's the translation summery?
Old 2008-11-26, 09:23   Link #19
marvelB

I actually found a little summary at AP that's apparently from a translation of the full spoiler script:

Quote:
Usopp seems to be in the forest of the street thieves "glinston?" and the name of the one standing next to him is heracles.The plants in this forest there are cannibal-plants. This place is dangerous says heracles. And you need to pay attention if you don't want to die. Usopp has tried to eat a fruit but something tried to eat him from behind. Heracles throws something (against the attacker plant?) and saves usopp. Heracles also seems to be a little dumb cause he repeated to usopp his name directly after saying it the first time...

- The ritual people who are around brooke have done it in order to damage another folk. They are ready to do everything cause they think that nothing matters now that the other folk has taken anything from them and that they are now banned. They think that Brook is the demon they have called. through their ritual. Brooke is on an island of poverty and need. So brook lands there and says "gogogo i need to rejoin my crew" the ritual people "Why do you want to go back to the demon realm Satan-sama is our tribute not enough".The ritual people say to brooke that they are ready to sell him their souls. The young lady with the black cowl is trembling from brooks look. Brook asks her "excuse me, can i see your panties?". <--- epic

- Robin is on a worker island. The people who are working on that bridge are outlaws who have revolt (they don't accept the WG) against the WG. They come from every countries and have been put together to a folk. Now they are slaves who build this bridge which connects 2 islands. They work on this bridge every day and every night. It also doesn't matter which weather they have they have. The slaves are always working on that bridge. The reason why this huge bridge isn't ready yet is that "people are dying fast". Robin asks why are they building a bridge? The answer is "you don't need to know". (i forgot to mention) the slaves that are working on this bridge are forced to do it. There a slavedrivers with bullwhips to make them work faster etc... and slaves are also dying from falling of that bridge. They asked robin where she came from.

- a legend says that Torino, the island where chopper is, is a tresure island where the birds rules over the humans. One bird is trying to make a reindeer stew out of chopper (lol) until it discovers that chopper can talk.

So... basically, Usopp meets up with some Robin Hood-esque thieves, one of whom is named Heracles (Hercules?) on an island filled with man-eating plants, the cultists who "summoned" Brooke are a group of outcasts and are poor, the slaves working on the bridge are people who rebelled against the WG (revolutionaries?), and Chopper is on some.... bird island? Interesting....

Also, I'm hoping that Brooke influences that cult to change whatever name they had to "Panty-Pantyism". That would be the most awesome cult EVER.

Edit: the summary was updated a bit, so I followed accordingly. And.... I forgot to talk about the ministory! Looks like Lucci is talking to Spandam on the denden mushi. The title says "former comrade Rob Lucci", so it looks like leopard-man isn't too happy with Spanda.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-11-26 at 09:37.
Old 2008-11-26, 11:03   Link #20
kari-no-sugata

There's been speculation that Kuma is secretly working for Dragon. I think this chapter may increase that chance, particularly given where Robin has been sent. Maybe Kuma hopes Robin will cause a revolution? Still speculation of course.

Ace asking his grandfather to kill him is rather sad - things really are *that* serious. (Clearly Ace hopes his death would mean Whitebeard won't charge into the trap).

And, though it was a fairly easy prediction, looks like I was right about Luffy (and the snake) eating loads and the Marines thinking she's doing all the eating (but they don't really mind). Hancock being all dere-dere over Luffy is such fun (older woman tsundere for the win!)

PS LOL, not only does Brooke ask to see the girl's panties... he actually phrases it as an order. Here's a guy with his priorities in order *ahem*. (The bone motif on the sfx is nice touch)