AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-01-03, 05:27   Link #2701
Miles Teg

Data link between unit is already in use in real life for example : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTIDS or http://www.global-defence.com/1997/DataLink.html perhaps I should have tried to find a better example
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 05:36   Link #2702
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Also any battle involving Laevatein will have to be short since Laevatein is equpied with an turbo sized engine, overclocked lambda driver ,extensive cooling systems, A variety of heavy weapon and ammo, these are all extreme drains to the Laevatein's already under powered battery. 30 hours is its maximum operational time, that number will be dramatically reduced when Laevatein is in an combat situation with lambda driver deployed. Also If any more advanced electronic warfare and stealth equipment were to be installed( if thats even possible) it will only add more burden for the battery.

So now not only can sousuke no longer run off in battle and does his own thing he can also no longer participate in any kind of stealth related mission. Missions that requires ASs to be deployed ahead of time under stealth will no longer include sousuke, mostly likely he will be acting as backup in such missions, called in and deployed from TDD when the shit gets hot. Basically the way i see it is that Laevatein is a versatile AS only in combat. but fairly limited in a strategic/tactical layout for the purpose of mission planing.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 14:15   Link #2703
UltimateKane99

I don't know about that. Thirty hours is a long time for a combat scenario. It's also been pretty rare in any of the AS battles we've seen for them to last longer than a couple of minutes. There was one scenario that ran on for a long time, and that was the one where Sousuke was trapped between enemy forces at the beginning of TSR. At the maximum, he had been stranded less than a day. Plus, remember that the 30 hours is the time if the machine is actually in a combat scenario. During stakeouts and hiding missions, hiding the Laevatein in a bush should work fine. The Laevatein would have plenty of time then to carry out its mission. Plus, the overwhelming firepower of the Laevatein would make short work of anything that got in its way...

Spoiler:
UltimateKane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 15:14   Link #2704
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKane99 View Post
I don't know about that. Thirty hours is a long time for a combat scenario. It's also been pretty rare in any of the AS battles we've seen for them to last longer than a couple of minutes. There was one scenario that ran on for a long time, and that was the one where Sousuke was trapped between enemy forces at the beginning of TSR. At the maximum, he had been stranded less than a day. Plus, remember that the 30 hours is the time if the machine is actually in a combat scenario. During stakeouts and hiding missions, hiding the Laevatein in a bush should work fine. The Laevatein would have plenty of time then to carry out its mission. Plus, the overwhelming firepower of the Laevatein would make short work of anything that got in its way...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
~Spike Spiegel
Missilebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 17:06   Link #2705
DePana
Ero-Stormking

Send a message via ICQ to DePana
i hope so >.<
DePana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 23:14   Link #2706
UltimateKane99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missilebuster View Post
Spoiler:
Yay! Nami is awesome. I just hope she doesn't turn into another Chidori. Actually, what happened to her?

Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-04, 00:35   Link #2707
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Spoiler for Nami:
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 02:19   Link #2708
UltimateKane99

Ok, before I start, I would like to apologize for the fact that I didn't find that post earlier. I'm sorry to have caused that problem.

Now... WHAT?!? How did that happen? When did it happen? Is it the next chapter (3b)? What does she talk to Chidori about? Did she ever learn that she was a Whispered? Who killed her? WHY DID SHE DIE?!? Now I'm sad. This sucks... Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm really dissapointed that she died, because she had a really cool dream that she wanted to push for, and she was really happy about it, too. Her spunky attitude will be missed. ;-;

Edit: Still sad, but I found another question to occupy my time. Boku-Tachi released COMO, BOMF is being translated by Ravyn, but it is done, and TMMD is now done as well. Is Gatoh still writing FMP? Or is it on a temporary hiatus? Or has the title for the next series not been released yet, but Gatoh is still writing? I find it strange that TMMD is the last one that we have listed, but I can't find the title for the sequel to TMMD anywhere...

Last edited by UltimateKane99; 2008-01-04 at 03:25.
Old 2008-01-04, 11:11   Link #2709
Anitsuga

Send a message via MSN to Anitsuga
Http://www.fumoffu.org/pdf/fmp_bomf_ending.rtf you can read a little about kaname and namys conversation. the title of last novel is nick of time. Gomen for my bad english.
Anitsuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 15:04   Link #2710
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Spoiler for nami:
Old 2008-01-04, 15:31   Link #2711
UltimateKane99

That's so sad. I wish she had been able to rebuild her home. Oh well. She was awesome while she was there. Why does this feel like the originally happy-go-lucky novel has taken a real serious turn for depression and mayhem?

Anyway, does anybody have any information on Semaru Nick Of Time? It should be published monthly in the Dragon magazine, right? So the first couple of chapters would be out, wouldn't they?
Old 2008-01-04, 15:35   Link #2712
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Ultimate that has been the discussion for months now(The dark part vs humerous part)
Old 2008-01-05, 00:20   Link #2713
FrostWolf

perhaps i can use an analogy to explain the Laevatein and why it lags to the Arbalest.
1. The Arbalest has is more robust, meaning that it balanced elcetronic warfare with combat
2. The Arbalest operates 70 more hours than the Laevatein and weighs less so is faster
3. The Laevatein is stronger and has more combat options but if its been downgraded to the level of an M6 the Arbalest wins because it's an upgraded M9

Imagine a T72 tank against a M1A1 Abrams. The T72 can take a helluva lot of fire but the Abrams can move faster and hit a T72 where it hurts so therefore it wins.
FrostWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 02:15   Link #2714
UltimateKane99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII
Ultimate that has been the discussion for months now(The dark part vs humerous part)
Yeah, I know. It's just making me kind of sad. I keep hoping that MAYBE it'll go back to being happy and funny and silly. Guess that's not going to happen. Oh well. I was still wondering about the Semaru Nick of Time part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostWolf
perhaps i can use an analogy to explain the Laevatein and why it lags to the Arbalest.
1. The Arbalest has is more robust, meaning that it balanced elcetronic warfare with combat
2. The Arbalest operates 70 more hours than the Laevatein and weighs less so is faster
3. The Laevatein is stronger and has more combat options but if its been downgraded to the level of an M6 the Arbalest wins because it's an upgraded M9

Imagine a T72 tank against a M1A1 Abrams. The T72 can take a helluva lot of fire but the Abrams can move faster and hit a T72 where it hurts so therefore it wins.
That analogy has one fatal flaw to it that makes all the difference: the Lambda Driver. That is a weapon which is so far above and beyond anything else that an analogy which takes that into account can't be made. Essentially, this weapon makes everything possible. With the extra cooling power and the superior engine, the Laevatein can take much more punishment than the Arbalest could, and can dish out more damage. Speed isn't a factor because the Lambda Driver can make things ridiculously fast and light (End of TSR, Arbalest leaps off of a sign post. Same applies to how a Behemoth can stand due to its colossal weight.)

The two things that the Arbalest has going for it are the electronic warfare package and time constraints. However, time constraints don't mean much, because the Laevatein can crush anything within that 30 hour time frame, and even the Arbalest never got within 50 hours of its maximum operating time. I seriously doubt there are any battles which require an operating time of more than 30 hours. Also, unless the Laevatein is fighting an opponent with active ECS (which doesn't make sense, as ECS is almost useless in a battle, since the footsteps and shockwaves from running around give away one's position. However, it does have some uses [see the end of BOMF]) the electronic warfare package shouldn't even be a problem. Oh, and the Laevatein hasn't been downgraded to the level of an M6. It has everything an M9 has except for its electronic warfare packages and peripheral systems that the Arbalest had but weren't used for direct combat.

Essentially, to steal Marduka's phrase, if the Laevatein and the Arbalest were to fight, it would be like a "few infantry attacking a fortress." The Laevatein doesn't need most of the peripheral stuff. It can take out the enemies way ahead of time. Even its sniping ability is ridiculous (Kurz would be so jealous), considering that it took down a Behemoth-i from nearly the maximum firing range.

I won't deny that the Arbalest electronic warfare was EXTREMELY useful. I'm just saying that for Sousuke, who practically blows things up for fun, and usually charges in head first (though usually WAY overprepared), the Laevatein is far better suited for him.

Last edited by UltimateKane99; 2008-01-05 at 02:29.
Old 2008-01-05, 03:10   Link #2715
Mose

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKane99
(which doesn't make sense, as ECS is almost useless in a battle, since the footsteps and shockwaves from running around give away one's position. However, it does have some uses [see the end of BOMF])
Heres something to support that. In the first novel it is mentioned that ECS requires so much energy that it would be impractical or even impossible to use during combat.
Mose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 04:42   Link #2716
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostWolf View Post
The laevatein is faster and jump higher than the Arbalest (without the use of the LD), the reason the Laevatein is heavier (and it's only 500kg 9.8t to 10.3t) is because of the bigger muscle package.

When Sousuke has made the laevatein jump for the first time he has nearly fallen unconscious, there is not a lot of people able to withstand 30g.

And the Laevatein is an upgraded M9 with less electronic but everything else better/stronger.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 05:21   Link #2717
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
To be honest, I hate to see "which side is stronger in terms of mechas' power" debate in FMPverse. Or I should say, I hate Laevatein became super-powerful from the start, but I'm glad that it has some limitations to force it sticking in teamwork instead of individual combat. One single strong mech means nothing here, it's not Gundam series afterall.

30 hours can make a mess against enemies, yes. But don't forget 30 hours is the maximum operation time, probably just for the movement/manouvering while LDS suck energy from the reactor, making the time limit actually lower than that.
And one should know that Laevatein was just in its first combat, facing grunts (yes, Benemoth-i and Codarl-m are now piloted by drugged-up grunts) so Sousuke doesn't have much trouble to defeat them. But can one says the same if he faces Fowler and his goons, Leonard or even Mr Gold? No.
About Electronic Appliances upon Laevatein. I thought that with such low-level appliances are used, if they crashed when they're facing tough enemies, he'll in trouble. Of course this may just be a joke, but one can't deny such possibilities.
And for ECS. In terms of individual combat it's obviously has little use, but if for ambush? Team battle manouvers? Rememebr Laevatein is just based upon the frame of M9 so it isn't very durable against enemy attacks, and rememebr LDS doesn't mean win, surprise attacks can still hurt.

And Kane, correction. Sousuke isn't like those maniac spammer of super-powerful weapons in front of enemies so he's not the type of "blowing up stuff" pilot. And he doesn't necessarily to make his move before others else, he'll just do it according to the situations.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 13:03   Link #2718
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Guys, your forgetting one of Laevatein's most important component: Al

Spoiler for Al:
Illsteir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 21:45   Link #2719
UltimateKane99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illsteir
Guys, your forgetting one of Laevatein's most important component: Al
Spoiler for Al:
Oh, that's a really good point. The evolution that Al is showing is similar to the kind which computer programmers and scientists are trying to mimic to achieve AI. Maybe Al is moving towards sentience? That would be pretty darn cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker
To be honest, I hate to see "which side is stronger in terms of mechas' power" debate in FMPverse. Or I should say, I hate Laevatein became super-powerful from the start, but I'm glad that it has some limitations to force it sticking in teamwork instead of individual combat. One single strong mech means nothing here, it's not Gundam series afterall.
You know, that was one of the biggest things that I hated about the Gundam series. One mech was way overpowered, so everything was decided before the battle even began. I'm really glad that at least these mechs are destructible. Heck, Mao even had to leave her mech because it was so damaged in the defence of Melida Island. That's something that I really appreciate about the FMP! series.

Quote:
30 hours can make a mess against enemies, yes. But don't forget 30 hours is the maximum operation time, probably just for the movement/manouvering while LDS suck energy from the reactor, making the time limit actually lower than that.
And one should know that Laevatein was just in its first combat, facing grunts (yes, Benemoth-i and Codarl-m are now piloted by drugged-up grunts) so Sousuke doesn't have much trouble to defeat them. But can one says the same if he faces Fowler and his goons, Leonard or even Mr Gold? No.
About Electronic Appliances upon Laevatein. I thought that with such low-level appliances are used, if they crashed when they're facing tough enemies, he'll in trouble. Of course this may just be a joke, but one can't deny such possibilities.
And for ECS. In terms of individual combat it's obviously has little use, but if for ambush? Team battle manouvers? Rememebr Laevatein is just based upon the frame of M9 so it isn't very durable against enemy attacks, and rememebr LDS doesn't mean win, surprise attacks can still hurt.
Well, for the maximum operating time, I doubt that it would be maximum operating time if it didn't take the LDS into account. It's probably maximum operating time at full combat potential. At least, if I was writing this story, that's what it would be. I don't know how Gatoh is doing it.

As for the other stuff, you are definitely right. Those were just grunts in a practice-style setting for the first combat that the Laevatein fought against. It's still pretty impressive, though. He took down 3 Behemoth-i, which are supposed to be FAR more mobile (and probably better armored) than the original ones, and 3 Codarl-m, which is also ridiculous (though the Arbalest boasted a similar record with 5 Codarl-m units in under 5 minutes), in under 5 minutes. The Laevatein doesn't seem like it'll go down very easily, even if fighting Fowler, Leonard, or Mr. Gold...

Not to sound overly optimistic, but I would be stunned if there was even a chance of that happening. The software that Mithril used was top-of-the-line, which means the coding for the electronic warfare suite of the M6 was probably also darn good. I don't know for sure though. Might make for an interesting plot twist...

Finally, wouldn't it be ridiculously difficult to catch a pilot unaware? I mean, for a normal AS pilot, yeah, I could understand, but for a pilot of Sousuke's caliber? I couldn't see that happening easily. It's still possible, though. LDS doesn't mean win, as you said, and a surprise attack that actually gets Sousuke could be VERY bad.

Quote:
Sousuke isn't like those maniac spammer of super-powerful weapons in front of enemies so he's not the type of "blowing up stuff" pilot. And he doesn't necessarily to make his move before others else, he'll just do it according to the situations.
I knew that was the wrong word choice, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it. A better definition might be that I think that Sousuke is better at attack than subterfuge. He doesn't appear to be the most... discreet... person in the FMP! series. I figure the Laevatein would be more appropriate to Sousuke than an M9 or the Arbalest. That's probably more accurate of how I meant to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose
Heres something to support that. In the first novel it is mentioned that ECS requires so much energy that it would be impractical or even impossible to use during combat.
I didn't know that. Thanks for that information. So the ECS would actually reduce the operating time of the Laevatein more than it already is, wouldn't it? Any lower might be cutting into operating efficiency, then.
Old 2008-01-06, 14:52   Link #2720
keleos

check it out:

http://ravyn-09.livejournal.com/
keleos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, mecha, shounen