Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-03-07, 15:25   Link #1
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Evangelion@school

Linky~

Yay for a new GAINAX Evangelion project, gotta admit that this one looks pretty interesting, and we have a wonderful selection of new figurines that'll be released along when the new show starts to air. Looks like this shall be a good year for Evangelion. :3
Old 2007-03-07, 15:47   Link #2
prince leon
red knight

Oh my god, SD Evangelion...
Old 2007-03-07, 16:00   Link #3
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
If by a "good year" for Evangelion, you mean the defamation of something I have dearly loved for almost ten years, then I agree. Various and numerous merchandising of the original series have become almost laughable, though I guess can't be discounted since they pretty much pulled Gainax out of bankruptcy.

I'm not too pleased by the idea of a chibi EVA anime, if you can't tell.

edit: Yeah, I knew about the movies, Shiroth.

Last edited by the.Merines; 2007-03-07 at 16:10. Reason: rather than go too OT...
the.Merines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 16:05   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I hope you know about the first of the four new movies airing this year, thats what i mean't about a good year.
Old 2007-03-07, 16:19   Link #5
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
If by a "good year" for Evangelion, you mean the defamation of something I have dearly loved for almost ten years, then I agree. Various and numerous merchandising of the original series have become almost laughable, though I guess can't be discounted since they pretty much pulled Gainax out of bankruptcy.

I'm not too pleased by the idea of a chibi EVA anime, if you can't tell.
I'm pretty sure I'm not thrilled about this, either. Iron Maiden 2nd was pure fail, and I'm not generally fond of AU forays anyway, so my hopes and expectations here are quite low.
I'll still check it out when it drops, because, shockingly, I have been wrong before.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 20:08   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

At first I was sure this had to be a joke. My initial reaction is obviously that this is an atrocity waiting to happen, but it's just so far out of left field and insane that who knows, it might actually cross the international date line and go back to interesting...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 22:06   Link #7
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well I'm a Gundam fan and when they did SD Gundam which basically pokes fun at Gundam I loved it and I mean adored it. Maybe people need to lighten up laugh at themselves a little bit. There are number of precedents for this kind of spinoff working including the Pocket Fighter series of games, SD Gundam, Super Robot Wars, and even a parody of the Macross opening released by Studio Nue themselves. I'm am very much looking forward to this as its likely to be entertaining and also likely to poke fun at the bloated Evangelion franchise as a whole. Here's hoping for references to Girlfriend of Steel.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 23:12   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

...The Rei triplets looks adorable.
I'll take one, please. Prefabably the second oldest one.

Ayanami sisters: (all three of them are named Rei)
Rei1: Oldest. Smart and collective.
Rei2: Second oldest. Energetic and athletic. Eats a lot.
Rei3: Youngest. Wears puffy pants, very loli, and has a foul mouth.

And what the.... Evancho!? rofl!
Evangelion is a bancho! (old-school leader of delinquents)
He's always grim and quiet. Shinji always does the talking for him (he translates Eva's words).
Old 2007-03-08, 02:44   Link #9
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Surprising..... to say the least.

Gainax finally gone banzai and departed to crazyland?
Old 2007-03-08, 02:47   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post

Like I said there are precedents. They haven't gone crazy, they are taking a new approach to the franchise for the purposes of self-parody.

@ Just about everybody: Come on guys, humility is a quality lacking in anime companies these days so its a breath of fresh air. Why nobody gets this I don't know, its a bit disconcerting. I mean it's fine when Shakugan No Shana-Tan (hilarious by the way) exists on the DVD's as an extra, but oh lordy no, not Evangelion. I mean it's not like it will detract in any way from what happened in the series, it's just meant to be fun. This is coming from a fan of the show by the way.

I mean I know its Evangelion the "best mecha series ever" which is immune to any possibility of flaw, and there are some believe me. Could it be the idea that the studio poking fun at there own work is breaking that rule for people that are more hardcore fans then me. Well if they announce Anno as director we'll see just how fast this blows over. Or they could use the FLCL team to deflect criticism as well. One or the other is a perfect defence mechanism.

So in conclusion, no its not a joke people, its a good natured self-ribbing, no its not an insult as its done by the same company that made the orignal franchise, and no Gainax hasn't lost it anymore than the next company has. But I wonder if the reaction to this announcement is this hostile in Japan as well though. Perhaps Gainax misjudged people's ability to take a joke. Maybe they might be a little out of touch there.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-03-08 at 03:07.
Old 2007-03-08, 03:03   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post

Nah, they're just trying to make money. I'd say they are crazy like a fox since there is no way they can fail to make money with this regardless of how stupid it might be.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 03:08   Link #12
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Lol, I am gonna watch this just for the heck of it.
Old 2007-03-08, 03:09   Link #13
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I'm not too fond on how the chibi designs looks like (( maybe it's the colours )), but aside from that, bring it on!

I'm with Kaioshin on my stance on this. Sure, GAINAX is milking Evangelion again, but at least this appeals differently compared to say...movies with recycled footage. Besides, Evangelion's rich fanbase history and it's infamous stereotyping on the characters make this potentially better than even SD Gundam, if you think about the myriad of things they can make fun of. From Rei's "........." effect to the whole "triplets/Rei clones", it's technically a full bucket of self-amusement.

Frankly, I'd think it'd be extremely awesome if they parodied those over-analysing Eva fans as the typical school nerds who's always reading too much into things, or even poke fun at how GAINAX's continously milking Eva. Maybe they can pull a movie joke in it or something. Evangelion School Film Club's 17th film, Neon Genesis Evangelion 17 : The Same Old Thing, with Shinji watching himself go emo the 17th time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Nah, they're just trying to make money. I'd say they are crazy like a fox since there is no way they can fail to make money with this regardless of how stupid it might be.
Yeah, because it's meant to be stupidly fun. How many people take parody-chibi shows seriously anyway?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 03:15   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I wonder why that might be. Probably the same reason SD Gundam succeeded, massive fanbase and all. SD Gundam also made about as much sense as the average acid trip, but it didn't really matter, it was funny as hell and it had so many in-jokes... it was for the fans in every conceivable way.

@ Daniel E. That's the spirit, put er there.
Old 2007-03-08, 13:38   Link #15
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Money, sweet money.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 13:40   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've checked with a few sources, and the scan mentions media, nothing about a TV series. Its still possible that it could happen, but at this moment in time its something that isn't 100% certain.

Still, i'm putting some money aside for the figure set. :3
Old 2007-03-08, 13:51   Link #17
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I "wtf"-ed at this when I saw it, but in a good way. I also liked SD Gundam, and I hope this lives up to the term of "SD" as well.
Old 2007-03-08, 14:54   Link #18
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
@ Just about everybody: Come on guys, humility is a quality lacking in anime companies these days so its a breath of fresh air. Why nobody gets this I don't know, its a bit disconcerting. I mean it's fine when Shakugan No Shana-Tan (hilarious by the way) exists on the DVD's as an extra, but oh lordy no, not Evangelion. I mean it's not like it will detract in any way from what happened in the series, it's just meant to be fun. This is coming from a fan of the show by the way.
... You know what, you're right. For some reason, I didn't even think about it being a parody (maybe because Eva is already a parody?). I'm actually looking forward to this now. Thanks.

Note: the above was not sarcastic.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 18:24   Link #19
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post

@ Daniel E. That's the spirit, put er there.
If it's about not taking things too seriously, you can always count on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've checked with a few sources, and the scan mentions media, nothing about a TV series. Its still possible that it could happen, but at this moment in time its something that isn't 100% certain.

Still, i'm putting some money aside for the figure set. :3
Hope this is at the very least some OVAs or something like that. >_< !!
Old 2007-03-09, 00:51   Link #20
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

I dont know if I have to laugh o cry at Gainax's eva projects. This is one of those shows Im gonna see because I dont have to pay a cent to see a ep, because if I had to pruchase the DVD as hell I would watch this thing...
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote