Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-19, 21:01   Link #21
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbent View Post
Try putting in spoiler tags.
I was purposely vague when saying that since "Death" is the essence of every episode in the series...A basic Google search to find out what the show is about will talk about this...Sheeesh...
Old 2009-11-19, 21:14   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My views are somewhat similar to *WingDarknesses*

I'm not sure if the overall themes of Death Note were particularly well-developed, but the plot itself is brilliant. The schemes of Light and L (especially Light) are some of the best cases of 'character genius on display' that I've ever seen. Often, with genius characters you get a "tell, don't show" approach... albeit for understandable reasons (it could be argued that it takes a genius to properly write a genius). This wasn't the case with Death Note though, where the genius of Light and L was showed, not merely told. It was truly a masterfully done chess match between the two.

I also felt that Black Lagoon and Code Geass R2 were over-rated... or at least over-hyped (but that Code Geass Season 1 was tight, yes).

I love Haruhi and Shana, though, and feel that there's some good depth to them both...
Old 2009-11-19, 21:59   Link #23
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Well said Triple R. I'm generally unaffected by the hype of shows since I don't discuss them before I check them out. Code Geass, for example is a show that I watched on youtube of all places lol. On the basic google search reference, most people who use this site probably dont' google search the shows they want to watch, but rather look on anime sites that are known to not spoil it. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just know that I wouldn't want to read something like that if I hadn't seen the show yet.
Old 2009-11-19, 22:09   Link #24
npcomplete

so what if the substance people want is what some consider flash?

anyways, I take it this is basically a rant thread rather than a suggestion thread...
Old 2009-11-19, 22:36   Link #25
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

agreed. this should probably get moved to the general anime section if at all possible.
Old 2009-11-19, 23:10   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbent View Post
Well said Triple R. I'm generally unaffected by the hype of shows since I don't discuss them before I check them out.
I'm the same way. I like to see at least three episodes of an anime before I start to form a solid opinion on it. Even then, if the anime has a slower plot pace, I'll tend to give it even more episodes.
Old 2009-11-20, 07:48   Link #27
straferd
Toushi

Everyone have their own opinion and I always respect that, but Claymore overhyped? Could you please develop this argument further?
Old 2009-11-20, 20:07   Link #28
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Karas.

Watch just the first 2 minutes of the first episode, and you will already be going "to HELL with substance".
It's that awesome.
Old 2009-11-20, 20:37   Link #29
Oppius
Banned

I forgot to mention Shana and Haruhi series. As for Shana I already seen the first season but I never bring myself to watch the second one. I dunno why. For Haruhi I also never bring myself to watch it for some unknown reasons. Maybe because I decided to watch another Haruhi show(Ouran) and hated it. I watched first 4 episodes of it and ignored the rest. This one deserved in my drop list for eternity.

For Karas, I never heard of it but I may check it out.
Old 2009-11-20, 20:41   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
I forgot to mention Shana and Haruhi series. As for Shana I already seen the first season but I never bring myself to watch the second one. I dunno why. For Haruhi I also never bring myself to watch it for some unknown reasons. Maybe because I decided to watch another Haruhi show(Ouran) and hated it. I watched first 4 episodes of it and ignored the rest. This one deserved in my drop list for eternity.

For Karas, I never heard of it but I may check it out.
Haruhi is a fair bit different from Ouran High, imo. There's some similarities there, but I can certainly see a person who didn't like Ouran liking Haruhi.
Old 2009-11-20, 20:52   Link #31
Zetsubo
著述遮断

right off the bat

K-On!
Old 2009-11-20, 21:03   Link #32
Ansalem
Speaker

I feel that besides being an unusual "suggestion" thread, there's a major issue with the topic.

The thread is called "All flash but no substance."

The OP then ask "Do you what is the most overhyped(not overrated) shows that you know?"

These seem to be two entirely different entities. The actual question seems to be asking for titles that receive huge amounts of "hype" or attention, whether or not the quality is equal to the hype. This seems to be appropriate to a suggestion thread.

The thread name, and what most people seem to be posting, seems to ask for titles that are presented as being attractive but lacking in any plot, meaning, or quality. This seems less likely to be useful for watching suggestions but rather an opportunity for people to flame shows they think sucked, and from the OP's actually post, it doesn't seem to be what he's after. Maybe this could be clarified and the title changed to avoid having people use this for a dump thread for titles they think are popular but shitty.