AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-07, 11:58   Link #41
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Total newbie on SAO here, the hype might have been right after all.

Spoiler for Now, this is podracing!:

Now all's left (to me, at least) is wait to see if Asuna lives up to expectations as well.

Also
Spoiler for Damn...:
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:09   Link #42
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
This is only the first episode dude. Wtf.
Implying you can't have interesting characters/motivations/mystery in first episodes.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:11   Link #43
holybell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
What suprise me the most was this scene in the ED(or OP?) song
Spoiler for A scene that I don't expect to see in a MMO:

My lifelong dream~~~~~~
Old 2012-07-07, 12:16   Link #44
tomtkp

Watched the first episode just now.

As a SAO light novel fan, I can say I am really satisfied with what I saw.
Episode 1 was pretty good.
The art and animation was not as bad as I thought.
The story? So far so good. Pretty much followed the novel.
And I liked the OP scene as well.
Yeah, and the BGM was awesome.

Overall, I give this episode 9/10. Hope we have at least this standard for most of the episodes.

Next episode, "Beater".
Old 2012-07-07, 12:17   Link #45
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
It's the OP. They just put it at the end because it's the first episode as they do pretty often.
Old 2012-07-07, 12:19   Link #46
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybell84 View Post
My lifelong dream~~~~~~
Haha, just wait for a real nerve gear. We don't feast with our eyes (yet). That was my favorite bit of the opening as well though.

Dang that episode did not disappoint. Definitely felt like I was watching a direct transcription from the novels. The animation was beautiful.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:20   Link #47
Kattaro

Quote:

I was also surprised but suuuper scene.
Episode was I don't know very, very awesome, no beyond this. Can't wait on second episode... well this is going to be hell week.
Animation, soundtrack and everything else was perfect.
There is one thing I didn't like - it ended too fast
Kattaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:23   Link #48
Dragoshi1
We need to upset people!

Yeesh, that after credits scene.

Something tells me that will recur every episode.

Reminds me a little of the Moon from Majora's Mask for some reason.

Anyway, I loved this first episode, definitely sticking to it. Might take "best of season" for me at the rate it's going.
Dragoshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:26   Link #49
zerodragon

after see the first episode, this has taken best of the season for me. I have read the novel and this live up to my hype. the opening was great, can't wait for someone to sub it.

10/10 in my book
zerodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:28   Link #50
Ray
Garnet

Let's not feed the troll, people ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Total newbie on SAO here, the hype might have been right after all.

Spoiler for Now, this is podracing!:
You're thinking of Rule 63 (genderswap).

Eh, Gary Stu/Mary Sue is a term generally limited to fan fiction and original characters, as characters that fall under that criteria tend to have be OP in every sense of the word; they essentially have to be the ultimate being.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:29   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Taking a brief break from my..err break (typing on a cell phone here so this might take a bit) to post about this show since I do want to leave some commentary as it does feel worth it atm. Plus I just love giving a sobering more direct take on anime that disregards hype and trolling or whatever baggage people love to bring into shows like this that just never leads anywhere good.

First no surprise this is the most interesting show of the season for me so far, but then it maybe has competition from one other show and said show only semi-appeals to my tastes while this goes directly at my love of video games. I had liked Accel World and took note of Kawahara Reki's writing style that just begs to be portrayed as an anime. I've become a pretty big fan of him since watching Accel World and this first episode and hope he has more works in the future in store after both. I'm trying to think of ways that it would be possible to fuck an adaptation like this up with the guy writing it being on staff (a common occurence these days) and it being a story like this (not really done since .hack) an I just come up blank, it's pretty much tailor made for intrigue in it's very nature.

I find Yuki Kaijura standing out a little more than usual here, it's not all just movie trailer music like I've come to expect. Not wetting my pants as I'm not that big a fan of her style, but again it's serviceable like usual and above average...especially this season.

As for the characters, the ones that stand out for now are Kirito and the creator. Kirito is amusing to me because he reminds me of my hardcore MMO playing friend that's super addicted to FFXI and knows all the ins and outs from playing it for almost a decade. Except unlike my friend it seems like he's actually going to be putting his experience to use in trying to save as many people as possible. His friend is an idiot though, how could you mistake a boar for the level 1 boss. Bosses are typically more....intimidating. The creator, obviously on a power trip, but I wonder if there's a twist that reveals his motives more later. Somehow I don't buy that amusement was the only reason he did this, if so that makes him as black evil as villains come.

Animation quality in the first episodes like many high profile first episodes is pretty nice. I like the background design work for the universe, it contrasts nicely with the often dark and gritty battlefields of Accel World, but I hope like that show there's a bit more variety incoming in the future. Not Ice Dungeon, Fire Dungeon, Water Dungeon etc. but more variety than just sunny blue skies and forests everywhere. I'm so used to seeing that in a lot of anime these days that's it's sort of become trite. This would be the perfect show to be more experimental with settings.

Looking forward since there's no leaving the game I wonder how much the outside family is going to factor into the story. Not sure if there's anyway to contact people on the outside without going through the creator. Anyway next week will probably introduce more of the cast which I look forward too.

That tooks about 30 minutes to type so I'm out of here. Back to vacation.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:30   Link #52
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Wow, really nice animation, and the premise seems interesting. It kinda plays upon game lovers as well as those who may like some action and maybe even a potential dark story? Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Other than that, really glad to see that the opening theme made it into the first episode. Heard it announced and performed live by LiSA herself at Anime Expo, so I was hoping it'd be here from the get-go.
Old 2012-07-07, 12:35   Link #53
Miraluka
Banned

Quite surprised it wasn't posted before.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:37   Link #54
Deltaray

Great episode, didn't see anything they missed from novels, they even kept the Klein's "how old is your sister" there, kinda love how that since everyone of my friends in mmo's keep saying the same thing.

Oh and the genderswapping guy was hilarious.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:40   Link #55
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Let's not feed the troll, people ~

You're thinking of Rule 63 (genderswap).

Eh, Gary Stu/Mary Sue is a term generally limited to fan fiction and original characters, as characters that fall under that criteria tend to have be OP in every sense of the word; they essentially have to be the ultimate being.
So close

Oh, ok. Well, I don't think knowing about the basics of the game and not cowering like a little girl against the situation count as perfection, just initiative and a bit of excitement, so I'll just think of Kirito as a cool guy.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:44   Link #56
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The death toll after the OP was rather ominous for sure.
No kidding. 2k dead and no one has even cleared floor 1

I love fantasy genre and this did not disappoint. Loved the entire episode, for me it was the best 1st episode of this season so far.
Old 2012-07-07, 12:45   Link #57
OPN

@Wilfriback Dat awesome op .
Old 2012-07-07, 12:46   Link #58
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
No kidding. 2k dead and no one has even cleared floor 1

I love fantasy genre and this did not disappoint. Loved the entire episode, for me it was the best 1st episode of this season so far.
This world would be Kirei's utopia .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:51   Link #59
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Implying you can't have interesting characters/motivations/mystery in first episodes.
Implying that every show must front-load all the important plot element into the intro episode whose goal is to set up the premise of the (rather lengthy) story
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 12:57   Link #60
Arkard

Everything seems quite well done, even the menus didn't disappoint. Hoping this stays at this level.
Arkard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, shonen