Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-19, 01:49   Link #1
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Karaoke competition!!

You heard me right. I got bored so I thought I should organize a karaoke competition for fun, so here it is.

If you want to participate on this event, send me a copy in any format (that winamp can play, which is mp3, wav, .ogg and whatnot) with your singing in it. If you don't have a karaoke version of the song that you want to sing, you may sing over it but your voice has to be louder than the singer's so we can tell if you're singing or just mumbling.

The file must contain your song name and your name/nickname/whatever name you want me to announce for your entry.

The track should be at least a minute long (tv versions are fine, but not preferred).

You don't have to sing anime/game music only-you can sing whatever genre you want as long as the lyrics are not offensive.

Entries should be submitted to me before July 29, 2004. -5 GMT
I will air the entries on shoutcast on July 30, 2004, 4 p.m. -5 GMT. I'll put the server info when the deadline has passed. I might torrent the broadcast later, but I'm not sure.

And yes, there will be prizes for the winner.

Contact info:

e-mail: kcl822@gmail.com
MSN: kcl822@hotmail.com
AIM: kcl822
IRC: kcl822/Kestra @zirc.org

For more info, click http://www.xanga.com/gunim

If you are looking for a specific karaoke version, post in this forum and who knows-somebody might have it.

Happy singing~
Old 2004-07-19, 01:56   Link #2
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Interesting....
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 02:08   Link #3
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
O_o A karaoke Competition eh? I hope a lot of ppl enter this. It'll be really entertaining to hear that shoutcast ^^.

BTW how is this going to be judged?
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 02:11   Link #4
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Ah, sounds interesting XD
I can't sing worth poo, plus I don't have a Mic. My voice is high pitched but I would have loved to enter for fun XD. Good luck to the contestants and entries, I'd love to take a listen but we're leaving the first of august, so I might not be able to listen to it depending on certain circumtances. I'm sure a lot of us would love the torrent
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 02:32   Link #5
LynnieS

LOL. Love the disclaimer you had put on your Xanga site. What happens, though, if someone puts in an entry for a song that neither you or the judges had heard of before? How are you to judge, in this case, whether the karaoke is good or even uses the right words?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 05:06   Link #6
Zapaan
Kawaii Inspector

That actually sounds like a lot of fun What about multiple entries per person?

- Z
Zapaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 07:02   Link #7
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Zapaan: That wouldn't be fair. People like variation-I don't know if they would want to listen to the same person sing like 3 times in a row (but if you want, I can air those separately when I'm doing a dj session later). Or maybe I'm just being evil.

LynnieS: Don't worry about that-I'm a music major so I can tell if a pitch is off or not (actually, the only thing that I learned while being a music major was theory...)

SiL Eighty: I still have to think about that one ... probably give points based on a bunch of criteria that I have to figure out. Pronounciation doesn't count that much, since it wouldn't be fair (but if is waaay off, then it gets minus points).
Old 2004-07-19, 11:23   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Ah nice that you made this thread ^^. (I take every chance to get that song for the karaoke contest ...) So I want to ask if somebody knows of a instumental/karaoke version of yoko kanno - lithium flower (GITS SAC ED). So if you (reader) happen to know something like this exists, I'ld like to know. Thx for the attention.
Old 2004-07-19, 12:53   Link #9
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

If anyone wants to do the Midori no Hibi OP I have the full karaoke version XD I'd love to hear someone karaoke it! XD
Old 2004-07-19, 13:24   Link #10
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

Does it have to be anime/Japanese? 'cause I've got a vocalless version of the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" ;P

Ahh look at all the lonely people o/~
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 13:26   Link #11
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Quote:
you don't have to sing anime/game music only-you can sing whatever genre you want as long as the lyrics are not offensive.

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)
Old 2004-07-19, 13:30   Link #12
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

Grr! Not reading the rules has once again made me look the fool! *shakes fist*
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 14:31   Link #13
Zapaan
Kawaii Inspector

Curious, but is there any special software that's out now to do karaoke? I haven't done it in years, and aside from a home entertainment system and discs, is there a viable PC alternative now?

- Z
Old 2004-07-19, 14:44   Link #14
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

There are a couple of ways I'm guessing, again, these are all just guesses - no gaurentee they will work.

1) Use a Adobe Premiere and insert your karaoke song into Audio Stream 2, and then record your singing with Sound Recorder and a Microphone and import it into premiere into Stream 1. Save it as a video file (only way I'm assuming) and load it into virtualdub and go to "save .wav" to get the audio out of it.

2) Take your karaoke song and put it on a CD, set up sound recorder and your microphone. Play the song in the background on your CD Player while you sing along into the microphone. Save it as a .wav

3) There may be a way with Adobe Audition, but I don't have it so I can't figure it out for you ^^"

>>Use DBpowerAmp (sp?) to convert the .wav files if you need to, .ogg is preferred
Old 2004-07-19, 14:50   Link #15
Zapaan
Kawaii Inspector

Actually, I was wondering if there was any software that's geared specifically towards karaoke now that didn't suck donkey testicles

Ah well, looks like I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

- Z
Old 2004-07-19, 14:54   Link #16
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

http://www.download.com/Easy-PC-Reco...-10237309.html

Easy PC karaoke, I believe it allows you to load MP3 karaoke files, insert the lyrics, and record your sing-a-long. Should proove useful
Old 2004-07-19, 20:08   Link #17
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
this is awesome, not that I can sing, or that I have I mic. though its still awesome.. If I find a mic I'll do a karaoke just for laughs! as long as there will be other who suck as bad as me :P hehehe

btw, I thought the idea of "real" karaoke was that you have heard the song at the most once or twice, so you dont know the words.

anyway, hope I can find something :P
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 21:27   Link #18
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl822
Zapaan: That wouldn't be fair. People like variation-I don't know if they would want to listen to the same person sing like 3 times in a row (but if you want, I can air those separately when I'm doing a dj session later). Or maybe I'm just being evil.

LynnieS: Don't worry about that-I'm a music major so I can tell if a pitch is off or not (actually, the only thing that I learned while being a music major was theory...)

SiL Eighty: I still have to think about that one ... probably give points based on a bunch of criteria that I have to figure out. Pronounciation doesn't count that much, since it wouldn't be fair (but if is waaay off, then it gets minus points).
Are you alone going to judge it or will you have a panel of judges? Say like 3-5 judges *if you get enough entries*. I think 3 judges would be good.

There is one fault to this competition though. Say someone can sing Really good. If they have a shitty computer/mic and then they will sound like shit. ;_; Oh well I hope theres a William Hung out there that enters
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 23:00   Link #19
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

There are currently 4 judges as of now, so if one "fails", then the others can point out and say that this person's entry is good and so on and so forth.
As for entries with not-so-great-hardware problems. If you think that you sing really well but your hardware/software is just horrible, just record it nonetheless and talk to me in private and we'll see if there is something that can be done for that. But these days, everybody has decent hardware.
Old 2004-07-19, 23:06   Link #20
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

you could also try and filter the songs, like noise reduction and quality improvements to get the clearest sound possible. I would suggest that one judge have adobe audition.

Tags
karaoke competition