AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 36 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 38.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.14%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-19, 11:32   Link #61
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think you are missing out on something that makes this show stand out if you can't get inside Aono's skin and appreciate what she is going through -- has gone through for hundreds of years, perhaps. Aono's tragedy may be the heart of this show. She feels desperate and betrayed, and in her madness finds the worst solution to her problems.

But of course I can forgive her. "To understand all is to forgive all." (Madame de Stael) I suspect that forgiveness may get even harder, however, since it seems highly possible that she may be the author of the blood in Takeshi's memories, too.

That I can forgive her doesn't mean I think she should kill people or should not be stopped. There is a difference between forgiving and condoning. In real life, I think this is a distinction that is made too little. I think criminals should be forgiven -- and put in jail.

However, I do want to congratulate people who had doubts about her from the beginning. I didn't see it coming.

By the way, I believe that if you look at the first post in the thread, you can see that spoilers aren't needed in single-episode threads unless you are spoiling future developments from a manga or something like that. So wontaek was right to start not using them.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-19, 11:39   Link #62
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis2124 View Post
Spoiler for ep7:
Yeah but...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 11:40   Link #63
Nemesis2124

Though on the same token, as far as most people on this forum go, the episode isn't truly out yet. I know I'd be angry if I came in here looking for prospective thoughts, and saw this stuff not tagged. So, I'm willing to be courteous until the sub comes out.

EDIT: I'm not a big fan of studios caving their original intent to appease the masses. So I can only hope your suggestion does not come to fruition.

And speaking of DVD sales, has anyone seen the 2chan reaction to this?
Old 2007-05-19, 12:04   Link #64
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Though on the same token, as far as most people on this forum go, the episode isn't truly out yet. I know I'd be angry if I came in here looking for prospective thoughts, and saw this stuff not tagged. So, I'm willing to be courteous until the sub comes out.

EDIT: I'm not a big fan of studios caving their original intent to appease the masses. So I can only hope your suggestion does not come to fruition.

And speaking of DVD sales, has anyone seen the 2chan reaction to this?
sola has been having very lukewarm responses in terms of 2chan posting, AnimeBlog exposure, forum discussion, etc... It is in my opinion, quite possibly, one of the most underrated series from this season (much like the first season of Black Lagoon).

Also, as unrefined as it may be, I now get warm fuzzy feelings from remembering all the critics who slammed sola as yet another 'predictable and generic' 'harem show'. I wonder how many of them will have the courage to eat their words at this point.

Bland, my ass.

Heh.
Old 2007-05-19, 12:19   Link #65
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Also, as unrefined as it may be, I now get warm fuzzy feelings from remembering all the critics who slammed sola as yet another 'predictable and generic' 'harem show'. I wonder how many of them will have the courage to eat their words at this point.

Bland, my ass.

Heh.
no! most of them are going for "double or nothing" to eat cardboard *winks*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-19, 12:43   Link #66
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Though on the same token, as far as most people on this forum go, the episode isn't truly out yet. I know I'd be angry if I came in here looking for prospective thoughts, and saw this stuff not tagged. So, I'm willing to be courteous until the sub comes out.... And speaking of DVD sales, has anyone seen the 2chan reaction to this?
1. spoilers. I get your point, but I'm going to go open and wait for reaction. I thought one of the original purposes of these threads was to get away from spoilers. Especially since we've had at least a page of spoilers, I think anyone coming here now would be alerted that the episode had aired. But I'll be guided by reaction.

2. 2channel. Skane is right that this has been a very little discussed topic. After seven episodes, it only has nine threads, which is in the middle of the pack. I just scanned reaction there since this episode aired, and it started highly positive in a Higurashi sort of way, but has cooled down, and doesn't show any signs of overwhelming enthusiasm. Some people say the contrast between the first and second halves of the episode was too extreme, others that the contrast was very effective, and there is discussion of how the show works in terms of ero-game narrative conventions.

2channel doesn't tend to have the sort of moralizing discussions we have here, and doesn't seem to judge anime characters as if they were real people, as lots of posters do here. And the sola thread on 2channel hasn't done as good a job of analyzing the possibilities as our thread has here.

I have to add that I think this episode cements this show as one of the top shows of this season. That we can have this kind of serious discussion speaks very well of it, for one thing. Over the top, perhaps, but it works.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-19, 13:15   Link #67
rg4619

Quote:
That I can forgive her doesn't mean I think she should kill people or should not be stopped. There is a difference between forgiving and condoning. In real life, I think this is a distinction that is made too little. I think criminals should be forgiven -- and put in jail.
Sure, if the perpetrator is genuinely remorseful. I think forgiveness is something to be sought and earned, but that's me.

I don't think "justice" should be presented as a means of punishment or retribution either (I think this largely drives the conflict between left and right-leaning views on justice), but that's another debate altogether.

Quote:
But of course I can forgive her.
Here's one question. In popular media, it's the author's job to manipulate our feelings toward a particular character. With respect to sola, you've got moe appeal (as strange as it might sound, the effect this has on a male audience shouldn't be understated), exaggerated time scale, and an especially brief, one-sided presentation of Aono's history.

However, would you immediately feel the same way if this were a volatile, remorseless (and male) killer from the front page news? How about a deranged, heartbroken/lonely/angry man who's murdered his ex and her family after feeling jilted for 10, 20, 30 years? Or the predator who's experienced a horrible, sexually abusive childhood only to uncontrollably release that anger and pain on young victims (he's dangerous and remorseless as if punishing the world, yet also someone who suffered a lot to become that way)? In real life, I think the situation becomes much more complicated than the one-dimensional portrayals you might find in entertainment.

I'm not making any judgements on Aono's character yet, as it would be foolish to quickly condemn, forgive, etc. (it's quite interesting that we seem to have hit extremes here, with thinkers and feelers coming to opposite conclusions. Being almost right in the middle, I don't lean toward either side). I'm one who prefers to assess all sides and details objectively, and I think there's a lot to consider in these instances.

Last edited by rg4619; 2007-05-19 at 13:41.
Old 2007-05-19, 13:30   Link #68
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, but...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 13:32   Link #69
New/Old
Old to the New

Hoho. What a reaction this episode has. Hmm-hmm. One must wait for next week for answers or for the conclusion (if there is) to this situation, I suppose.
Old 2007-05-19, 13:34   Link #70
orion

Quote:

Well, meguu-elixir come to mind.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, but...
Spoiler:
Oh I hope that you aren't thinking that...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 13:39   Link #71
Nemesis2124

Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2007-05-19, 13:40   Link #72
PastPrime

First let me say
Spoiler:

And a possibility.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 13:52   Link #73
Nemesis2124

@PastPrime
Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2007-05-19, 13:59   Link #74
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
@PastPrime
Spoiler for ep7:
I noticed that also.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 14:04   Link #75
Nemesis2124

Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2007-05-19, 14:21   Link #76
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Spoiler for ep7:
actually it could be that matsuri has been "looking" over aono ever since that incident with her turning aono into a yaka ~ it could explain how she managed to save mayuko right after she was killed and when young takashi turned up at the scene he only saw the after image of matsuri running away ~ and hence thinks that she is responsible...

btw whats with all the spoilers on speculation?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-19, 14:28   Link #77
Nemesis2124

Because my speculation is based partially on episode 7 events. In any case, I like your idea there.
Old 2007-05-19, 15:08   Link #78
Icerack

Spoiler for speculations:
Old 2007-05-19, 15:31   Link #79
Nemesis2124

Heavy speculation time:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 15:57   Link #80
orion

Yeah, that's the bad part about this. We don't have the entire flashback yet to know what happened 17 and 200 years ago. I'm getting Air vibes again as in something bad happened and not just the outcome.

Of course, the bright side is...
Spoiler for Air: