Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-14, 19:04   Link #321
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Na, that was cool and understandable from the first wach. For real mind boogling psychobabble from a math teacher, Arjuna or a certain episode from Seraphim call are better examples
Oh, I understood the theories - I just thought it felt a little out of place in the series. The baseball side is grounded so deeply in realism and you have this guy spouting sports psychologist claptrap. In the end I sort of viewed it as comic relief. I mean - one minute glasses-guy is leading them in some Skinnervian behaviorist exercise and the next Tajima exclaims "Oh no, I forgot to masturbate!" This is a very strange concoction, this show, but I guess that's what makes it so appealing.

A quick browse of the early pages of this thread reveals a symphony of Kous and Aobas all over the avatars and sigs. Guess that's not a surprise, really. But I would also encourage anyone interested in a baseball series to give "Major" a chance - though I know Theowne disagrees. It's very much the opposite of OoFuri in that it revolves around a supremely GAR hero who attacks baseball and life as though he can conquer them through the sheer power of his will. OoFuri celebrates the ordinary and Major the exceptional - but I love them both. Major is long (6 seasons and counting) and thus subject to some slumps in quality here and there. But I think it's a true classic on the whole, and Goro Honda - the "anti-Ren" if ever there was one - one of manga and anime's signature personalities.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 20:08   Link #322
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Sounds like the Bleach of baseball, alright.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 20:27   Link #323
Theowne
耳をすませば

I don't necessarily hate Major, I did watch the entire first and second season, but yeah I think it's basically a typical shounen show, and Goro is the typical shounen lead, except adapted to baseball.

One thing we can probably agree on is that it's the complete anti-Oofuri.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 21:41   Link #324
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I don't necessarily hate Major, I did watch the entire first and second season, but yeah I think it's basically a typical shounen show, and Goro is the typical shounen lead, except adapted to baseball.

One thing we can probably agree on is that it's the complete anti-Oofuri.
Certainly Major is shounen, but I don't view that in a pejorative sense - exceptionally well-executed shounen can be as good as any anime there is. There's something special about Goro that elevates Major above the pack, IMO - and while I don't want to spoil, the first arc of the first (and best) season contains a twist that would do Adachi proud.

To loop this back into OoFuri, if the shows are opposite that must make it a shoujo series, right? And you know, in thinking about it that's not a bad way to describe OoFuri to someone who has never seen it or read the manga - in many ways its a shoujo sports series. Is that a contradiction? I don't know - but I do know that it seems obvious in hindsight that OoFuri could only have been written by a woman. It's a very feminine interpretation of the adolescent male psyche - but in a loving way, not a derisive one. Almost as if Mafuyu from Seitokai no Ichizon penned a baseball story, but had to make it G-rated...
Old 2009-11-14, 22:07   Link #325
Kakkou
Tch.

I agree with most of the comments here. I'm not one for sports genre animes unless there's something else to draw me in but I just love this show when I decided to watch it on a whim. I've never felt this way watching any other show of its genre. I don't even find Mihashi annoying for some reason, maybe its his muppet mouth XD. The characters are great, every single one of them. The games are actually exciting and down to earth, without cutting corners and showing the entire match from start to finish. Heck, a lot of the game term used flew over my head and I still managed to feel excitement. You even end up feeling genuinely sorry for the opposing team when they lose because of the focus being given to their side as well. Maybe I'll rewatch this again with the intention of properly learning the game terms. I'm sure my liking of OoFuri will increase even more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
Almost as if Mafuyu from Seitokai no Ichizon penned a baseball story, but had to make it G-rated...
If Mafuyu wrote this it wouldn't end with just holding hands and ambiguous male friendship, even if she had to make it a G-rated story XD
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 22:42   Link #326
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

I always just figured Shiga was bullshitting the team because he knew they didn't know any better and probably never would.

How many of you are actually following the mango?
Old 2009-11-15, 01:21   Link #327
mit7059

I read the manga and I'm really not sure about a second season. Granted the scans are not current (not into volume 12 yet) but there hasn't been that big game yet like with Tousei, it's coming for sure and soon but I doubt it will finish by the end of volume 12, which means that they would have to either have to rush the non-game material or the game material to get the next game to fit into at 26 eps series. I'd almost rather not see them make a second series then to mess it up by taking away the oofuri-ness of the pacing.

On an unrelated note after recommending this to Proto I rewatched almost all of it, this is probably my favorite series to rewatch which I have done several times.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 03:09   Link #328
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
How many of you are actually following the mango?
Even for those of you following the manga (or even eating the mango), please remember this is a fruit-free zone as well as an anime-only thread.

Feel free to discuss the manga (or eat the mango) but please do so in the appropriate manga (or mango) thread.

Currently there doesn't appear to be any manga spoilers posted but I'm just reminding everyone of the Spoiler Policy
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 21:26   Link #329
gonzo562

i was checking out baka updates. And it says the anime covers up to volume 8 chapter 16 of the manga with 12 volumes released.

I been the releases and i dont think thier enough for a 26 episode second season maybe a 12 one

I hope they eventually make a 2nd season though
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 18:34   Link #330
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Right Stuf has the DVD bundle of this half off till 12/18.

Get it!
Old 2009-12-05, 22:52   Link #331
eris_sama

Got it! Gonna make all the baseball fans at work watch it!
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 09:37   Link #332
_gallo_

Yes! Second season was announced. It's scheduled for next spring. Can't wait!

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 10:46   Link #333
Theowne
耳をすませば

Woot! Fantastic.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 11:22   Link #334
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Geez, if that was the case I would have put off watching the first season by another semester so I would'nt have to suffer following the second season week by week.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 12:55   Link #335
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Somewhere, Mafuyu is celebrating.
Old 2009-12-19, 17:56   Link #336
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Manga in on 12 volumes, I believe. If I'm correct, I think the anime only covered the first six. I'm pretty certain we'll see an announcement of a 2nd season in 2010, if not the anime itself.
Quoted for truth!
Old 2009-12-19, 22:24   Link #337
gonzo562

Quote:
Quoted for truth!
Quote:
Manga in on 12 volumes, I believe. If I'm correct, I think the anime only covered the first six. I'm pretty certain we'll see an announcement of a 2nd season in 2010, if not the anime itself.
i was checking mangaupdates and it says the anime covers up to volume 8 chapter 16. It could be wrong though.

Woot 2nd season announced. Hope its a 25-26episode series not 12-13
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 00:21   Link #338
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I saw some of the first season and liked it alright so I guess now is the time to marathon it and watch the second season as it airs. Good thing too, the next few seasons look like slim pickings.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 01:07   Link #339
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
Woot 2nd season announced. Hope its a 25-26episode series not 12-13
Likely to be 25-26 episodes as there'll be a clear cut stopping point there. Won't spoil as to what it is.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 01:15   Link #340
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
Yes! Second season was announced. It's scheduled for next spring. Can't wait!

source for this please?

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports