AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an online relationship?
No, never. 157 67.38%
Yes, and it sucked/sucks. 20 8.58%
Yes, it was quite ok, but we finally split up. 30 12.88%
Yes, we're still together (online only). 14 6.01%
Yes, we're still in love and even live together now. 12 5.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-11-22, 11:50   Link #21
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Hung Lo
I met my wife over the internet. Kind of scary, huh? We posted at the same forum for years, and I couldn't fucking stand her. Somehow we started liking eachother's company, and before you know it, I'm in the Philippines living with her family.
I believe it, people can be much different online and in real life. I'm good friends with some people in real life but can't stand them online and vice versa. It just goes to show, keep an open mind when you meet people and don't count on people being anything like what they are online.

As far as relationships online, well, people should do what they like, there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect anything in real life because of it, you might find you totally hate and can't stand someone you thought was a joy to be around online.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 11:55   Link #22
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverRamza
Unless you're close by, it's not going to work. And even if you're that one single exception where it does work, it's still going to fail soon sometime down the road.

That's not true either. I was in a long distance, online relationship (I was in Florida, he was in Michigan) and we worked it out over several months and finally, he moved down to Florida. In fact he moved IN with us. That was a lil over 7 years ago and He and I have been married happily for 5 years. I mean, our life hasn't been perfect--but then, whose is? Our marriage and life together will never fail. So you're statement is incorrect. If the love is true--it will work. But all relationships need constant work. If you don't both work for the relationship, then yes, it will never work.
Lady Yanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 14:43   Link #23
ukanimemike
Love Animes !

Send a message via AIM to ukanimemike Send a message via MSN to ukanimemike Send a message via Yahoo to ukanimemike
Hello everyone

I just wonder will it be like in the movie "you've got mail", the one you always chatting about it's actually very close to you and you only know it right at the end......

OR

There are so many online dating agency available and do you think they will be like in that movie "Birthday Girl" and you end up in a big mess and being used.....

I hope i can also meet some good friends here, boys or girls to share anime and interest.....

I think i am lucky because most people here are so nice and helpful. However, still trying to find more anime fan in UK to share ....

Mike
ukanimemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 15:10   Link #24
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Yanami

That's not true either. I was in a long distance, online relationship (I was in Florida, he was in Michigan) and we worked it out over several months and finally, he moved down to Florida. In fact he moved IN with us. That was a lil over 7 years ago and He and I have been married happily for 5 years. I mean, our life hasn't been perfect--but then, whose is? Our marriage and life together will never fail. So you're statement is incorrect. If the love is true--it will work. But all relationships need constant work. If you don't both work for the relationship, then yes, it will never work.
That's like something out of a fairy tale, lol. Thought that type of stuff never happened, it heartens me to kno fairy tales do come true
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 16:27   Link #25
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by elniro
Them the type of girls you gotta stay away from, do one wrong and BAM, get one rite in the head
My type of Girl tho

I never met her in person so meh.... And my number of Online Relationships out number my real life ones which is 1:0..... I wont mention the time some gay guy hit on me..
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 23:18   Link #26
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
I met someone online 5 years ago from match.com, it was great. If you do it right, you can learn a lot about a person quickly from emails, phone calls, and then meeting in person.

However, long distance is a big mistake if there isn't already a committment made, or a willingness for the two of you to be physicially together within a reasonable time. I closed my eyes to this fact and thought I could wait for her to finish medical school in New York (she just started) while I pursued my computer career in California.
We broke up on good terms... it was a good learning experience but I'd never do it again that way.

My best friend from high school met his wife on Usenet, on the Brent Spiner fan forum, of all the stupid places . They'll be married 10 years this Wednesday. They did the internet thing the right way, she was able to move to be with him.

Ooo, tell me more stories, I love this kinda stuff!

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 23:47   Link #27
Diplomat
Traceur

Send a message via AIM to Diplomat Send a message via MSN to Diplomat
online relationship? i always thought that was an oxymoron.
Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 00:23   Link #28
Kempis Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat
online relationship? i always thought that was an oxymoron.
Does this mean our engagement is over, Diplo-sweetums? When did you stop loving me?

Hey, wait a minute, the OP ^danshi^ never gave an opinion. I'm Curious too, ya know.

-k
Old 2004-11-23, 08:14   Link #29
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
my aunt actually met her husban online o.o
they've been married for a few years now and a friend of ours met her bf online too and they've been living together for a few years now too.

This was all within the same country though, only 200-300 Km apart, but still =P
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 08:24   Link #30
MegaEvils
[M7]MegaEvils

Send a message via AIM to MegaEvils
I've had many online relationships, but nothing to the point of going crazy over,.. just good friend,... but yes, 99.9% of all online realationships are a joke,.. that is if you mean to take then seriously... right now im not conserend with dateing or anything,.. right now im trying to get a stable job and income cause if your weak and cant maintain a decent life style, what girl would wanna go with you?... its stupid.
MegaEvils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 09:32   Link #31
Uchiha_Itachi_Sasuke
Am NEW so be NICE..!!

Send a message via ICQ to Uchiha_Itachi_Sasuke Send a message via MSN to Uchiha_Itachi_Sasuke Send a message via Yahoo to Uchiha_Itachi_Sasuke
I have 2 good relationships online, one with a guy who's just my friend whom i talk to NOW on the phone mostly by SMS's..
the other one is with a girl who's 2 years younger than me and she's an interesting person..

i dnt thk it's that cool though, becuz u never know if what's between u is true or not...!
Uchiha_Itachi_Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 10:36   Link #32
GustaveElazul
Gus

~truncated~

Last edited by GustaveElazul; 2013-10-16 at 09:02.
GustaveElazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 11:08   Link #33
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami

And one of the WORST things you can do is to lie about yourself. I've known a few ppl who have told their so-called bf/gf online that they look like a supermodel and all other kinds of things, but then that relationship is doomed to fail, cause if you ever meet said person, then they know you've lied to them. And to start a relationship with a lie, tends to lead to that relationship failing.

My relationship was a very odd case--because, we told each other what we looked like, neither of us lied about it, but we never saw what each other actually looked like until he came down from Michigan to Florida. By then, we we're already engaged. So we went totally on personality in our relationship. And it turned out good. So I am a VERY lucky woman in a lot of ways.

But I say that if you're in an online relationship, they do work out. But you have to make them work. You have to want it bad enough. If you do, then anything is possible.
Lady Yanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 12:38   Link #34
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Even though I never have been in an online relationship, I think it definitely can work for some people.

Personally though, I know I would never start a purely online relationship because there are a lot of things that I can't tell about a person if I only meet them online.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 17:55   Link #35
Kempis Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Yanami
but we never saw what each other actually looked like until he came down from Michigan to Florida. By then, we we're already engaged. So we went totally on personality in our relationship. And it turned out good. So I am a VERY lucky woman in a lot of ways.
Holy smokes! Engaged? For real?

-k

curious
Old 2004-11-23, 21:28   Link #36
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:36.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 21:52   Link #37
Zelgadis
aka. ZP

Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis
I have had online friends, but never real relationships. Then again, it could be I am going to the wrong places. As for online relationships working, I agree that it depends on truthfulness and personality. But I think it also depend on where and how you meet them online. And that is almost never revealed.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 01:58   Link #38
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

These aren't as uncommon as people may think. For example, I've known at least 10 people in my own circle of friends that have met their significant others online and are quite happy in their lives.

With mine, I guess it was a fluke...usually they are destined to fail for the ones who really aren't wanting a relationship, but the ones who do put effort into it usually are well rewarded in the end.
Old 2004-11-24, 02:25   Link #39
LeoNz.?

to my opinion i reckon its useless having a online relation lolz but thats just my imo!
LeoNz.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 15:58   Link #40
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
I dont see anything wrong with online relationships and I believe they work..
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote