AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-17, 00:07   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Dragon Quest 10 is going on Wii

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this yet. o.o

http://wii.ign.com/articles/937/937167p1.html

Quote:
RPG fans, you might want to sit down for this one.

Square Enix held a surprise press conference in Tokyo on Wednesday and with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata in attendance revealed that the hotly anticipated Dragon Quest 9 will be coming to DS on March 28 in Japan for 5980 yen ($64 USD).

By far the bigger news, however, is that that Square Enix and Nintendo announced that Dragon Quest 10 is being developed for Wii. No details on the project were given.

According to a live blog by the site Gemaga, DQ creator Yuji Horii took the stage and made the announcement. Afterward, Iwata was quoted as saying, "Thank you very much for announcing Dragon Quest X for Wii." A Reuters story later confirmed the news.

The Dragon Quest series is extremely popular in Japan, each update selling millions of copies. This latest announcement is sure to generate continued appeal for Nintendo's already popular console in the homeland.
Also, the battle for Japan is won by the Wii. This is the biggest franchise in Japan.

I'm personally happy. Very happy. I became a Dragon Quest fan after I played Dragon Quest VIII. It became one of my favorite games. Terribly overlooked game. If you love JRPGs and have a PS2, check out DQ VIII.

DQ IX is the next main entry in the series. It is going on the DS, for those who don't know. I'm looking forward to it, but I was dissappointed DQ IX was not going on a console, and I was worried DQ X would go on the DS, as well. So I'm really happy DQ X is going on a console.

I'm anticipating this as much as I anticipate the next Wii Zelda.

The Wii not only has Dragon Quest X coming to it, but a 'mother ship' Tales game coming to it, as well (Tales of game made by the main studio, like ToS and ToV, not a spin off like ToS 2). I expect more high profile RPGs, and more high profile games, to come to the system for the rest of the gen after an announcement like this.
Old 2008-12-17, 00:18   Link #2
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Not a big surprise due to the overwhelming number of Wii consoles that are sold in Japan.
Old 2008-12-17, 00:38   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

It is kind of surprising.

Most people figured if DQ X went on a console it would go on the Wii since it is the best selling console in Japan. However, nobody was sure if DQ X would actually go on a console, or if it'd end up on the DS like DQ IX. I've been hoping DQ X would go on a console; again, I'm really happy about this.

I still want DQ IX, though. I'm sure it'll be a pretty good game.
Old 2008-12-17, 03:12   Link #4
oyasumi nasai

i am really disappointed by this news.

partially because of the stupid controller and lackluster graphical power of the wii (honestly, this game isn't gonna look any better than DQ8), but mostly because i gave my wii away to my brother as a gift.
oyasumi nasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 03:41   Link #5
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyasumi nasai View Post
i am really disappointed by this news.

partially because of the stupid controller and lackluster graphical power of the wii (honestly, this game isn't gonna look any better than DQ8), but mostly because i gave my wii away to my brother as a gift.
The only reason I'm disappointed is because it's going to the Wii, a console I don't own!

As for the graphics? Who cares, it's not like we've seen a JRPG this gen so far blow us away with graphics, or make it meaningful in anyway - actually Valkyria Chronicles is pretty damn good looking. I like my graphics, but seriously, with the art style they might use, it's no biggie. However, I'd be a tad worried if they decided to impliment crazy Wiimote controls which never end up being a good thing.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 07:23   Link #6
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyasumi nasai
partially because of the stupid controller and lackluster graphical power of the wii
Ah of course, because the DQ games are well-known for their incredible cutting-edge graphics that surpasses their contemporaries.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 15:29   Link #7
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
I'm looking forward to it, but I was dissappointed DQ IX was not going on a console, and I was worried DQ X would go on the DS, as well. So I'm really happy DQ X is going on a console.
Why does it matter if it's going on a home console instead of a handheld console?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyasumi nasai
stupid controller
*yawn*
Quote:
lackluster graphical power of the wii
Who cares? The PS2 was the one with the "lackluster graphics" last generation, relatively speaking, and I'm sure you liked its games and thought they looked great.

Also, I suggest everyone play Dragon Quest IV on DS. To this day, it's still a really original game, according to a good friend of mine. I would if I had a DS...
Old 2008-12-17, 15:34   Link #8
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

DQ8 was great, good thing that i own both a wii and ds
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 16:02   Link #9
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Happy news \o/

About next gen consoles, I only have a DS and a Wii, so this is great news . More games for my favorite consoles

Thank you for the news Urzu XD
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 20:20   Link #10
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
It is kind of surprising.

Most people figured if DQ X went on a console it would go on the Wii since it is the best selling console in Japan. However, nobody was sure if DQ X would actually go on a console, or if it'd end up on the DS like DQ IX. I've been hoping DQ X would go on a console; again, I'm really happy about this.

I still want DQ IX, though. I'm sure it'll be a pretty good game.
There's still a rumour swirling around that DQ IX will also end up on the Wii, but I don't think it has been substantiated yet.
Old 2008-12-17, 23:59   Link #11
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Why does it matter if it's going on a home console instead of a handheld console?
I like playing games on the DS, but I prefer playing certain games on a console in a comfortable chair and on a TV. Especially big RPGs. And also, the Wii is going to give a much grander experience than the DS. DQ IX will be good on the DS. Trust me, I'm looking forward to DQ IX. However, DQ IX is a step back from DQ VIII in terms of the technical aspects. I'm glad that DQ X will be a lot like DQ VIII, but even better, in terms of graphics.

Narona, you are welcome.

Quote:
am really disappointed by this news.

The Wiis graphics are adequate and good. Nothing like the PS3, but adequate and good. Like someone said, DQ games have never been about cutting edge graphics, save for DQ VIII. However, I'll be happy to see a true DQ game on Wii looking like DQ Swords (probably even better). You should have seen DQ VII back in the day. It looked like a first gen Saturn game (never mind PSX game) and came out in 2000, I think.

Also, I wouldn't worry about DQ X doing too much waggle and doing it wrong. Yuji Horii knows what he is doing, first of all. Secondly, it might not even use waggle (ala SSBB). If there is motion controls, I'm sure they'll do it great, and you better believe Nintendo will give them much guidance in utilizing the controls well. Nintendo knows all to well this is the biggest franchise coming to the Wii, and a main entry this time. President Iwata even thanked Yuji Horii for putting the game on the Wii, and publicly I might add. Horii won't make the controls something that will turn off DQ fans, I'm sure. He will work to make the motion controls something that add to the game; not blemish it.

And I don't know why some people expected DQ X to go on the PS3 over the Wii. The PS3 has the lowest user base, and the main DQ titles always go on the systems with the highest user bases.

Also, if you want to check out the series and have a DS, DQ IV is a good game. However, if you have a PS2, I recommend going for DQ VIII first.
Old 2008-12-18, 02:27   Link #12
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
You should have seen DQ VII back in the day. It looked like a first gen Saturn game (never mind PSX game) and came out in 2000, I think.
*laughs* That reminds me of what a friend of mine said when he saw me play it. "It looks like an SNES game." He never did understand why I liked playing the games.

Quote:
And I don't know why some people expected DQ X to go on the PS3 over the Wii.
I find that quite a number of people who still believed that would happen tended to have only played VIII and had no idea about the series going to the platform with the highest user base.

Oh and I definitely echo the previous suggestions on playing IV and VIII for those who want to get into the series.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:11   Link #13
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
*laughs* That reminds me of what a friend of mine said when he saw me play it. "It looks like an SNES game." He never did understand why I liked playing the games.

I find that quite a number of people who still believed that would happen tended to have only played VIII and had no idea about the series going to the platform with the highest user base.

Oh and I definitely echo the previous suggestions on playing IV and VIII for those who want to get into the series.

Hehe, yeah, I wish I could play DQ VII. I will have to wait until a re-release or remake. DQ VIII (that is DQ 8) got me into the series.

Which leads me to why I would definately recommend DQ VIII over DQ IV for entry into the series. If you have a PS2 and want to check out the series, go get a copy of DQ VIII. Here is my logic behind it...DQ VIII will have more of a "wow" factor. It will impress you more, and I happen to think it is hands down the better DQ game. I recommend the game I think will give most people the more positive impression of the two; the game I think will have a greater chance of turning someone into a Dragon Quest fan. I really like the series now because I loved DQ VIII. With that being said, if DQ VIII turns you into a Dragon Quest fan like me, you are gonna want to go buy DQ IV, I'm sure. And DQ IV is a good game.

But if you are going to check out the series, understand this: DQ games are very traditional JRPGs. They stick to tried and true concepts and mechanics through and through. It isn't a series that tends to experiment. It seems like a lot of SNES RPGs in a lot of ways...and you may just like that! I'm trying to convey to people that the series is ultra traditional, but I can work a positive spin to it. I will speak specifically of DQ VIII now. It goes back to the basics. And you may really like that. So many JRPGs go for new ideas and new concepts these days. That is overall good, but sometimes the experimenting could deter from the game. As I said, it is a series that sticks to the basics, and DQ VIII does this in a lot of ways. But what is tried and true can be a breath of fresh air relative to most JRPGs of today. This leads me to the next point...

One thing I liked a lot about Dragon Quest VIII is this: It was like a SNES RPG with a new-gen coating. It had this certain appeal and nature, attitude and feeling; this certain magic that is like that of the RPGs of the 16 bit days, and I personally love SNES RPGs. Things are simpler, but simpler by no means equates to a less fulfilling experience.

One thing to also know is the game has real personality and charm; I found it lovable. The cel shaded graphics are great, the game universe is appealing and good, the soundtrack is one of my favorites in a game, RPG or not (I really like the music in this game), and you will find tons of little details in the game that are appealing in the game (sound effects, fan service, quirky characters, amusing messages during battles, little songs that activate upon certain things, etc.). Nice little touches that, altogether, add to the charm factor. Also worth noting is the voice acting. It is well done. There is an alchemy system, which is good, as well. And something I really liked is the over world...most RPGs have the over world not to scale. DQ VIII has its world to scale. It is like Oblivion on PS3 and X360. You want to get to the next town, you gotta hike quite a ways to get there! Exploring the world is like Zelda TP or OOT meets Final Fantasy (because of the random encounters). It is really cool, and days turn to night and vice versa (and when you go to a town during the night, things are different than the town during the day). The game world is very big, much bigger than Hyrule in Zelda TP. And exploring the game world is great. Lots of random treasure chests, and some visible enemies that you can fight (they are special monsters, they tend to be really strong when you are new to an area, and they will chase you if you get close. : -o).

And I'm certain many people who check out the DQ series will come to really like the series' universe. Again, I would use the terms likable and appealing.

But be ready for two things with this game. 1) Be prepared to grind. You will have to level up a lot to be strong enough to move forward often times. It is challenging, but not ridiculously so. You just can't breeze through the game with very little leveling up. 2) It is a long game. You'll probably take around 80 to 110 hours to beat it. I beat the game at 111 hours, and then did the epilogue quest and had a total game time of 131 hours. But I loved the game from start to finish. And another thing to point out if you decide to check out DQ VIII; level up a good deal before the first dungeon. A lot of people waltz right in and think the first dungeon and boss will be a breeze, but he'll kick your butt bad if you don't level up some. Level up to stay on top of things in this game.
Old 2008-12-18, 22:53   Link #14
Shadow Kira01

Dragon Qust 10 is already out? I have yet to continue my DQ8 game. 10 minutes into the game, finally reached town, haven't explored yet though.. The Dragon Quest series is just as popular as the Final Fantasy series. Square-Enix has made games for different platforms, whether it be consoles or portables. It's pretty good IMO, though I like the FF series more.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 09:50   Link #15
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

In Japan, Dragon Quest is more popular than the Final Fantasy series. The top three goes like this:

Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Tales of
Old 2008-12-19, 16:11   Link #16
shinobiknight0
I'm a Senior Member!
*Graphic Designer

I played Dragon Quest VII and it was pretty fun. If this is going to be like that, I'll add it to the games I have on the Wii.