AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 5 15.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 18.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 21.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 21.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 3.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 3.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-22, 20:02   Link #21
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Again, in Singapore, our officers probably use traditional methods of fists and batons most of the time. Besides, the punishment for resisting arrest can be harsh, from the cane to our prisons.
Old 2009-06-22, 20:33   Link #22
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

How have our discussion diverted.

You know, I was merely pointing out to a possible scenario where your life or the life of your loved ones may be in danger. You have a gun in your hands, and you have a chance to disable whoever is threatening your life or the life of your loved ones. At that moment, I highly doubt the safety of your victim is your first priority.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-22, 20:39   Link #23
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, thread's been slow, as usual.
Old 2009-06-22, 23:59   Link #24
owq

Wow, I thought, this thread was moving quite fast.

Then I saw that it was a page long discussion about firearms and stuff. LOL.

But well, this anime is not supposed to be realistic anyway.

I mean, magical Valkyrur blood? Azure Witch?

I wouldn't be amazed if Welkin can shoot a magic bullet (ok, that is a big exaggeration but...)
Old 2009-06-23, 16:13   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, thread's been slow, as usual.
Keep in mind that a lot of forum members don't watch the raw like we do, and wait for subs.
Old 2009-06-23, 17:41   Link #26
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Keep in mind that a lot of forum members don't watch the raw like we do, and wait for subs.
Probably since not all of us are good in Japanese.

Well, I only know a bit. But I still prefer to wait for the subs to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Again, in Singapore, our officers probably use traditional methods of fists and batons most of the time. Besides, the punishment for resisting arrest can be harsh, from the cane to our prisons.
At least it's good that I haven't heard of anyone in Singapore dying of being tazered by an officer there.

Not like some real-life people that "gave" the country a shoddy name, but that's a story for another day and perhaps in another thread.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-06-24, 00:51   Link #27
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
How have our discussion diverted.

You know, I was merely pointing out to a possible scenario where your life or the life of your loved ones may be in danger. You have a gun in your hands, and you have a chance to disable whoever is threatening your life or the life of your loved ones. At that moment, I highly doubt the safety of your victim is your first priority.

- Tak
If I'm deciding to shoot at someone, it will be to kill. There won't be wounding. Unless you can give me a situation where I want to save their lives...
Old 2009-06-24, 01:05   Link #28
owq

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
If I'm deciding to shoot at someone, it will be to kill. There won't be wounding. Unless you can give me a situation where I want to save their lives...
What if it's your very good friend? Or relative? And he's holding a gun at you? Will you kill him?

I mean, it's a highly impossible situation. But you asked for one. =P

But in Welkin's situation, he had to hestitate because Alicia was being held hostage. And he might have tried to aim for the head, but missed and shot his arm instead.

Of course, I know that firing a pistol on a moving vehicle against someone on another vehicle, and hitting where you want, is GODLIKE.

I've never used a pistol before, but I guess you can do that with a rifle.

But this is an anime, so I think we shouldn't think too much about it.
Old 2009-06-24, 03:04   Link #29
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Yes, it is possible that a shot which was meant to kill ended up being a shot to disable by accident.
Old 2009-06-24, 03:23   Link #30
klare

Spoiler for finally:
Old 2009-06-24, 03:31   Link #31
kalbron

Problem is, the cliche for that is for someone to say "Good shot!" and the reply to be "I was aiming for X instead."
Old 2009-06-24, 23:04   Link #32
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by owq View Post
What if it's your very good friend? Or relative? And he's holding a gun at you? Will you kill him?

I mean, it's a highly impossible situation. But you asked for one. =P

But in Welkin's situation, he had to hestitate because Alicia was being held hostage. And he might have tried to aim for the head, but missed and shot his arm instead.

Of course, I know that firing a pistol on a moving vehicle against someone on another vehicle, and hitting where you want, is GODLIKE.

I've never used a pistol before, but I guess you can do that with a rifle.

But this is an anime, so I think we shouldn't think too much about it.
Depends on the situation. Even if it's a good friend or relative, if there's no way of stopping them, or they've killed a lot of people, they'll be meeting their maker. And I'm good up to 20 yards with my .45 on the fly. After that, forget it.
Old 2009-06-25, 23:41   Link #33
Runty

Gleam's subs came out. Tak, you weren't EXACTLY right about some of the translation work.
Spoiler for Episode 12, subbed:
Subs helped a LOT with this one. Now to wait for the next episode.
Old 2009-06-26, 00:28   Link #34
justinstrife

Finally got around to watching the sub. Was a decent episode but nothing great. Probably my favorite part was Jaeger and Welkin's interactions. Seeing Jaeger sizing up Welkin and seeing how well of an opponent he would become in the upcoming battles. Of course we won't get to see as much of that as I'd like...

Faldio is really getting on my nerves. Welkin and Arrogance? Give me a break.
Old 2009-06-26, 05:28   Link #35
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

It wasn't a bad episode. Quite an entertaining take on the events.
Somehow I found the ep13 preview more interesting than the episode itself though.

Spoiler for preview speculation:
Old 2009-06-26, 08:48   Link #36
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Can't believe that the writer of this anime was the script writer of Cowboy bepop, because this anime went from decent to bad to worst.
Old 2009-06-26, 10:20   Link #37
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Reading through some of the threads, it seems like a lot of people are disappointed with how things are going with the show.

I honestly have no idea why -- I'm really liking it a lot. Maybe it's cause I didn't know anything about the game or the show prior and hence did not have any expectations.

The show is light, fun, and though devoid of any real substance, it's a pleasure to view, colorful and pleasant to the eyes, with a great cast and an involving if choppy plot line.

I really enjoyed ep. 12, perfect execution, I thought. I felt bad for Faldio because it seems like Alicia only believes in Welkin, and "Welkin this" and "Welkin that" is starting to get under his skin. I'm interested to see how the emotionally clueless Welkin deals with his feelings for Alicia with Faldio pressing him against the corner like that.

And whoa, that preview shows a possible rape scene that had me going WTH @__@
Old 2009-06-26, 11:10   Link #38
justavisitor

I really like this episode...I haven't played the game and it probably helps me to enjoy the show more..I never really enjoy any anime/drama that comes from the manga/novel that I happen to read before...it just feels different an incomplete

seems like Faldio will turn into a bad guy lol..just a little hunch and I have no proof to support my theory whatsoever

I will give 9/10 to this episode and I am enjoying this series so far
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-06-26, 12:38   Link #39
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
I honestly have no idea why -- I'm really liking it a lot. Maybe it's cause I didn't know anything about the game or the show prior and hence did not have any expectations.

The show is light, fun, and though devoid of any real substance, it's a pleasure to view, colorful and pleasant to the eyes, with a great cast and an involving if choppy plot line.
That's the problem, though. This is supposed to be a war story with strong focus on human interrelationships. It shouldn't be "devoid and any real substance."

It can have light moments and fun moments. The game had a lot of those. But it was still had a serious plot with several emotional scenes.

As I play through the game a second time I think I'm coming to realize how close to perfect the game was in so many senses, including storyline. I think that definitely adds to the disappointment I feel with the anime because I know it would be so hard for the anime to come even close to the game in terms of quality.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-06-26, 21:23   Link #40
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That's the problem, though. This is supposed to be a war story with strong focus on human interrelationships. It shouldn't be "devoid and any real substance."
It's not necessarily "supposed" to be anything, though, even though I can see why you had certain expectations as a game player. If people enjoy it in their own way, there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps the objective of the anime writers was to make an anime that a totally different group of fans would enjoy, rather than making an "anime of the game". Even though you're disappointed, there's nothing wrong with taking an alternate approach either. Maybe it's just not for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
As I play through the game a second time I think I'm coming to realize how close to perfect the game was in so many senses, including storyline. I think that definitely adds to the disappointment I feel with the anime because I know it would be so hard for the anime to come even close to the game in terms of quality.
It sounds like the game would have been hard to live up to for you even in the best of circumstances...

In the end, all I can say is that the anime has not only been enjoyable for me, but also made me all the more interested in playing the game. I had tried the demo, but the gameplay just isn't really my favourite kind of game. Now having seen the anime, I'm willing to put up with the gameplay in order to watch the story. So if you're measuring the show's success by its ability to attract a new audience who haven't experienced the game before, or wouldn't have otherwise given it a real chance, then maybe they're doing okay? If the game gives me a different yet still enjoyable experience, then I've got something to look forward to.
Closed Thread