AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-02, 13:07   Link #221
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Just watched the first episode. It might turn out good. We just have to see.
Old 2012-10-02, 13:19   Link #222
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
"gravitation"
Gravitation? That was Hadena's fasub, right?

Watch another fansub. There's no such gravitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I actually expect Shun to be an early victim. He has that certain air of acceptance about him that usually signals a death flag.
Well, the protagonist has a crush on him. That alone is a death flag in this kind of setting.
Old 2012-10-02, 16:56   Link #223
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Gravitation? That was Hadena's fasub, right?

Watch another fansub. There's no such gravitation.
Well I haven't seen the official ones yet. The one that I saw had gravity being sealed.

Edit: Saw the official subs. Something is still being sealed, prob the most destructive part of their powers. like what people do for lazy eye. They cover the good eye and let the weaker eye develop. So in this case, maybe the imaging and constructive parts are being strengthened at the expense of their offensive part. Reiko couldn't develop the constructive side and so she disappeared. And if they didn't manifest period, they vanished. Sort of weeding out the undesirables, like on a farm or in a genetics lab.

Quote:
Well, the protagonist has a crush on him. That alone is a death flag in this kind of setting.
Might not be depending on how far along the character's life cycle this title goes on for. If the anime gets to a character's adulthood, then adults gotta procreate unless they're killed in the weeding out process.

Last edited by orion; 2012-10-02 at 17:32.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 16:58   Link #224
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Well I haven't seen the official ones yet. The one that I saw had gravity being sealed.
Mistranslation. They were thinking of 重力 which has a long first vowel, whereas 呪力 has a short first vowel. This is not a matter of interpretation, it's just the wrong word, and you are watching wrong subtitles.
Old 2012-10-02, 18:01   Link #225
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Saw the official subs. Something is still being sealed, prob the most destructive part of their powers.
No they just sealed her worldly desires. They said so as much. It just so happened that in the case of Saki, her greatest desire was her powers. Remember that Saki's powers took too long to awaken so she really longed for it. That longing, that desire, had to be sealed, but they could only do so by sealing her powers all together.

Not every kid has the same desires though, so I suppose not everyone got their powers sealed. That was just Saki's particular case.

What is really intriguing is that the monk was able to bestow new powers on Saki using a mantra. Novel readers said the mantra scene was cut out from the anime but it's supposed to be important to the plot, so I hope we'll see it later on as a flashback.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-10-02 at 18:16.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 18:21   Link #226
orion

Quote:
No they just sealed her worldly desires. They said so as much. It just so happened that in the case of Saki, her greatest desire was her powers. Remember that Saki's powers took too long to awaken so she really longed for it. That longing, that desire, had to be sealed, but they could only do so by sealing her powers all together.

Not every kid has the same desires though, so not everyone got their powers sealed. That was just Saki's particular case.

What is really intriguing is that the monk was able to bestow new powers on Saki using a mantra. Novel readers said the mantra scene was cut from the anime but it's supposed to be important to the plot, so I hope we'll see it later on as a flashback.
But desires can't be sealed. People are trained not to give in to them. But with the mantra part were they really new powers or just what she already had that was left to manifest? I don't trust what the priest said one bit. Suppose we won't know until the anime gets to that part.

The whole setup is suspicious including the purification ceremony. Really, the cautionary tale of not traveling outside of the barrier because it's not safe, yet they have a temple that's outside the barrier. And why didn't the barrier stop the ogre? If the barrier was that weak, where were their guards? And why didn't the ogres discover the village before that kid wandered outside?
Old 2012-10-02, 18:40   Link #227
Kazu-kun

Quote:
But desires can't be sealed. People are trained not to give in to them. But with the mantra part were they really new powers or just what she already had that was left to manifest? I don't trust what the priest said one bit. Suppose we won't know until the anime gets to that part.
I was just clarifying what the guy said he was doing. It doesn't mean he was telling the truth.
Old 2012-10-02, 18:51   Link #228
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:

Not every kid has the same desires though, so I suppose not everyone got their powers sealed. That was just Saki's particular case.
Spoiler for Novel:
Old 2012-10-02, 19:16   Link #229
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

The whole setup is suspicious including the purification ceremony. Really, the cautionary tale of not traveling outside of the barrier because it's not safe, yet they have a temple that's outside the barrier. And why didn't the barrier stop the ogre? If the barrier was that weak, where were their guards? And why didn't the ogres discover the village before that kid wandered outside?
The whole setup was suspicious from the first scene and the complete lack of normal people around...
Old 2012-10-02, 19:40   Link #230
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
The whole setup was suspicious from the first scene and the complete lack of normal people around...
I agree. Assuming that the mystic is a recessive trait, there should be non-mystics mixed in the population there as it is the dominant trait of humans unless the population is artificially selecting out the mystics.

And that ceremony, what humans are really that tall? It's like everything was done for those kids to be afraid of the established rule makers of that area. I'm betting the Impurity Cat is a projection of one of those priests to cover up for weeding out those undesired kids. Like only a person of a certain level can see the cat. Below the level you don't see the cat.

Loved the first episode by the way.
Old 2012-10-02, 21:50   Link #231
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

creepy show is creepy... will definitely keep watching it. reminds me of another.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 22:02   Link #232
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Just watch this and it looks like its going to get even more creepy
Old 2012-10-02, 22:28   Link #233
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
I agree. Assuming that the mystic is a recessive trait, there should be non-mystics mixed in the population there as it is the dominant trait of humans unless the population is artificially selecting out the mystics.
What do you think happened to Reiko and Saki's older siblings?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 03:30   Link #234
Shadow5YA

So... what exactly happened at the beginning of the episode in that city?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 04:17   Link #235
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
So... what exactly happened at the beginning of the episode in that city?
Kids suddenly got telekinetic powers and started to slaughter?
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 05:11   Link #236
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Colour me interested. It was a series I wasn't sure of but was considering when looking at the Fall list.

Hope it's a big hit.
Old 2012-10-03, 07:25   Link #237
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

The first episode was very interesting; The first few scenes were chilling. Too artistic than plot focused, tough.
Poor Reiko..

Last edited by ninryu; 2012-10-03 at 07:37.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 12:49   Link #238
Kirarakim

Really enjoyed the first episode. There were some moments like the story about the ogre that looked really beautiful.

Now I wonder what happens to those kids who don't make it or who can't keep up in class. Killed? Or something worse. I am guessing worse.
Old 2012-10-03, 15:08   Link #239
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I'm guessing erased from memory. Considering that Saki (I think) was the "last" to graduate in her class at the little kid school, despite remembering the fact that there were other kids there that weren't in the new school, I would say they have their memory modified, and something went wrong when modifying Saki's.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 18:42   Link #240
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A bit late to the party, but I finally got a chance to watch this.

I wasn't wowed by the first episode, but I thought it was very solid.

The show's main strength so far is that it exudes a certain confidence about itself, while not coming off as downright cocky. A lot of that is the complete and utter lack of pandering in this show that truly distinguishes it from a lot of other anime shows (I dare say that it was Ghibli-esque in this regard). But some of it is also the directing, the dialogue, the voice acting. I get a real sense that the producers behind this show have a plan, that they believe in that plan, that they are meticulously putting that plan into motion, and that they aren't doing things off the seat of their pants.

With some anime, you can kind of feel that it's "trying too hard", but with this anime I felt that it knows precisely what it wants to do, and it just does it. There's no excessive embellishment, nothing felt forced, nothing seemed like an obvious attempt at meme-generation.

I'd say the show's second greatest strength is that these kids felt like real kids to me. I'm not sure what the ages of these kids are, but if they're in the 10 to 15 age range, I think this show pretty much nails kids being kids.

Finally, the show does have a nice atmosphere and mystery and intrigue to it that's pretty engaging. So while it didn't wow me, it did pique my interest. A very good start.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural