AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-06-24, 09:54   Link #21
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW
"Block unwanted popups" is working properly for me.
It's the full v9 release though isn't it? It wasn't working properly in the last beta I tested. Still got to get round to installing the full release
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 11:24   Link #22
Lost

Thats funny... I swear it was reloading on me when I last used it. Now its blazing as hell fast... Maybe because that was its first run? Hmm thats a good thing I guess.. Anyway sorry for the trouble. My Opera preferences show the same as yours for that bar, NSW. Every 5 hours.

Ahwell, now I don't mind changing over. Another question; is there a way to change the order of the toolbars at the top of the page? Because I tried looking in the options, but other than changing their position within the page, I couldnt find a way to change their stacking order. Something like this:

(in Opera)

to become what I have in FF, where topmost is address, second are links and last are the tabs.

Thanks all, and sorry bout the trouble. If I can't change it in Opera, no worries, its something I can live with.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 12:31   Link #23
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Go into Appearance, any of the tabs, it doesn't matter which. From there you can drag toolbars around and set them up how you like. Just click the address bar for example, keep it held, and drag it up to move it.
Old 2006-06-24, 14:15   Link #24
hcl4

Its more of a workaround but use the main bar to replace the address bar.
http://nontroppo.org/-/media/mainbar.htm
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 20:44   Link #25
Lost

Hmmm, Opera doesn't let me drag and drop the toolbars, only the buttons within the toolbars. Nice workaround, never thought of it.. thanks, all.
Old 2006-06-24, 21:36   Link #26
Mune
The Sleepy One.

Send a message via AIM to Mune Send a message via MSN to Mune Send a message via Yahoo to Mune
I've been thinking of making the move to Opera since Firefox uses up too much resources for my taste. I've heard it uses about the same amount as Firefox, but I'd just like to have some feedback before I stick with Firefox.

I've disabled several settings said to help with memory usage, but they have only slowed it down. I'm still getting memory leaks, and I'd like to find something that's more "stable" in that sense. So, any feedback is appreciated.
Mune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 08:54   Link #27
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Opera can use a fair amount of RAM like any browser if you've got dozens of tabs open, but it doesn't have memory leak issues like FF.
Old 2006-06-25, 12:56   Link #28
Mune
The Sleepy One.

Send a message via AIM to Mune Send a message via MSN to Mune Send a message via Yahoo to Mune
Hmm, I guess I've decided to stick with Firefox for now. At all times I usually have 5-8 tabs open, and none of them are heavy on images or flash. What my problem probably is is that I have a few sites I look at heavy on the youtube videos and can have some larger images, so they're probably being stored in my RAM for later use. Unless I find a browser that clears up RAM periodically, I guess I'm stuck with Firefox as my best choice.
Mune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 13:38   Link #29
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Um, Opera doesn't leave anything resident in ram, not even after viewing things on GoogleVideo or YouTube. If Firefox does then it kinda sucks I guess. Generally you'll be looking at 30-50mb RAM usage during normal browsing (could be different in v9.0 though, i'm still using 8.5 for now). I have about 800mb of free memory at all times, dropping to maybe 750 with opera running, but it's straight back to 800+ after closing opera.

If FF leaves stuff in memory then it has issues and I wouldn't use it if you paid me.
Old 2006-06-25, 14:55   Link #30
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Um, Opera doesn't leave anything resident in ram, not even after viewing things on GoogleVideo or YouTube. If Firefox does then it kinda sucks I guess. Generally you'll be looking at 30-50mb RAM usage during normal browsing (could be different in v9.0 though, i'm still using 8.5 for now). I have about 800mb of free memory at all times, dropping to maybe 750 with opera running, but it's straight back to 800+ after closing opera.

If FF leaves stuff in memory then it has issues and I wouldn't use it if you paid me.
Firefox doesn't leave anything in ram after you quit. It just caches stuff in ram while its running so that if you happen to go back to a page you were just on it'll load faster. The settings for that are tweak-able though so you can change how much stuff it'll cache.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 02:31   Link #31
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Opera can use a fair amount of RAM like any browser if you've got dozens of tabs open, but it doesn't have memory leak issues like FF.
That's not entirely correct. On some systems it uses less memory than Firefox, but on other systems it can use more than Firefox. (Though I've never seen it use an unreasonable amount.)

Opera scales its RAM usage to take advantage of the unused RAM on your system. When a system has scarce RAM, Opera tries to use as little as possible. However, since most systems have lots to spare, Opera will use that RAM in order to speed up the browsing speed by caching more information. The philosophy is that unused RAM is a wasted resource.

In other words, Opera will run slower on less RAM and faster on more RAM. Rely on it to scale back its usage when other programs need more memory.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 05:41   Link #32
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

FYI: anyone interested in switching to Opera might want to wait until v9.01 or something.

While Opera 9 is supposed to pass the Acid 2 Test, I was actually able to build a site
that doesn't work well at all on Opera 9 [and only Opera 9, even v8.5 works fine...]

Essentially it involves some pretty weird bugs with frames & basic http authentication.
However, this does mean that random other sites might also start to act weird if they
somehow trigger the same bug.

If you encounter a site with content that doesn't want to load, you might want to either
downgrade back to 8.5 or wait for a bug fix...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 09:38   Link #33
Lost

Well, one site that won't work for me in Opera9 is the imageshack image-loading page; when I access it from my login link.

It refuses to upload images
Old 2006-06-26, 13:47   Link #34
Ghettobob
GTO Fan!

Send a message via AIM to Ghettobob Send a message via MSN to Ghettobob Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Well, one site that won't work for me in Opera9 is the imageshack image-loading page; when I access it from my login link.

It refuses to upload images
Yeah, that happens to me too. Thats the reason I switched back to firefox. Because, when I use Opera. Not everything works properly, I would have to go on Firefox or IE just to look at some pages.
Ghettobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 14:23   Link #35
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Opera 8.5 works perfectly for everything that I've tried so far. V9 is only just released so it's still missing a lot of support on various sites (I can't log into my bank account using that version for example, which is the main reason I'm sticking with 8.5 for a while).
Old 2006-06-27, 12:24   Link #36
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

You can set the amount of RAM that Opera uses (for cache, which is most of it) in the Opera options.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 10:57   Link #37
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic

Image speaks for itself.
One tab open in Opera, two tabs in Firefox. People should stop lying about Firefox being a resource hog.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 14:21   Link #38
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I can post a pic that shows opera using 22,376k and firefox using 33,124k, both with four tabs opened. However, I won't because it doesn't prove anything. Your pic doesn't either. The memory usage of a web browser can be manipulated pretty easily. With a few seconds of trying I was able to get both firefox and opera above 40 mb of ram usage, which is higher than either normally use on my system. Normally, I'd let this go, but don't post a misleading pic then accuse people of lying.
Old 2006-06-29, 18:33   Link #39
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Ah, I haven't been "trying" at all. Firefox almost never goes over 40,000k, while Opera ALWAYS stays at around 60,000k- 80,000k.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 07:02   Link #40
bluemist
i am the mist

I've been a user since Opera 5, and I am continually appalled at all the convenience this browser has given me ever since. I do admit that Opera 9 is much heavier than ever on the memory. In the transition (8.5 -> 9), memory usage seems bigger but then the performance remained the same. All the features seem to make it an excellent web package. It has IRC, Mail, RSS, and now Widgets, all amazingly packed into a binary so small it boggles the mind.

I also use Firefox since back when it was still named Mozilla Firebird. This one seems to be more compliant to some websites I frequent. When Opera doesn't display the page correctly, I fire the Fox and it shows it right. This is practical comparison though. Opera seems to be browser standards leader. The reason that some sites break in it is because of poor web coding (trying to comply to IE standards as well). Firefox also gives me neat extensions that it almost gets addictive. I install and try so many of them, the browser starts to get bloated by that time.

Opera has the strength of being an all-in-one browser, while Firefox has the power of extensions. User opinion can go both ways depending on the user's needs:

- A mainstream user may see Firefox to be just IE with tabs, and opt to take their browsing one step further with feature-rich Opera.
- Another mainstream user may find Opera visually boring, and may opt for the Firefox browser that arguably looks and feels almost like IE, but with tabs.

- A semi-techie user may love the whole Opera package whenever they feel that installing lots of Firefox extensions (just to make it work their way) become too troublesome.
- Another semi-techie user may love the seeming endless possibility of Firefox extensions, and would say goodbye to inextensible Opera.

- A hardcore user will appall Opera because their uber l33t webpage displays just the way it was programmed to be.
- Another hardcore user will appall Firefox because they can modify the code all they want and install those neat extensions that will terraform the browser into an ultimate internet machine.

IMO both browsers are as good as it is, no need to compare which is more efficient because both are efficient enough (only a matter of tens of megabytes). Be thankful that both are free, one is open-source, and the other has high-quality development. What do you see in IE now? Beta 1... beta 2... beta 3...

Last edited by bluemist; 2006-06-30 at 07:41.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote