Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-11-09, 13:42   Link #321
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
So, it mean than we will be fewer ''photoshop element'' users around if I am not the last one...
Don't feel bad, when I actually have time to do anything with Photoshop, I still my trusty old Photoshop 6.

(I used to make aircraft profiles with it, but as you can see I'm very rusty now)

Looking forward to new sigs, Illusore.
Old 2011-11-11, 13:52   Link #322
Suomi
Kaiba

Farewell gift for Patchy. The amazing sig maker who has made so many wonderful sigs for all of us deserves a gift.
The style was a bit of an experiment, using tutorial with smudging and clipping masks, etc. I like it!
Old 2011-11-11, 15:08   Link #323
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post

Farewell gift for Patchy. The amazing sig maker who has made so many wonderful sigs for all of us deserves a gift.
The style was a bit of an experiment, using tutorial with smudging and clipping masks, etc. I like it!
Nice work! I really like the smudging. My only gripe with it would be the text maybe... I'm no good at it either but IMO, it would be nice if it felt more connected with the rest of the signature. Maybe don't have it floating so far off to the side like that... but I'm really not the authority on typography here One other thing is that the left side of the canvas feels pretty empty but it's not too big of an issue

You've really improved a lot, or is it the CS2?

Edit: Thanks for the tut! I'm trying it out now

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2011-11-11 at 15:56.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 16:18   Link #324
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Very cute sig, i liked it ~
nway the left side is a kinda empty, this problem often ocurs in smudges sigehs, try duplicate the render and smudge the borders, and try focus in a place, eyes, hands etc. then just do a blur or sharpen and some adjustaments to blend with the backgroud.
nway seeing yours last works you really improved a lot
Old 2011-11-11, 16:55   Link #325
Haladflire65
*Artist

Made this with that tut

It turned out pretty different but I learned some things, thanks again Illu-chan~ (by the way, just use this sig if you'd like, consider it a gift!)
Old 2011-11-11, 16:58   Link #326
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

That's a very nice signature, Illusore, the left side could have some more work but otherwise it good.
Old 2011-11-11, 17:48   Link #327
Suomi
Kaiba

@Bila, I did do the smudging the edges some, maybe I need to more...
@Halad, yes...I suck at text ^^; I mulled over that for a bit. I could move it over, but then the left side feels more empty...and I think the improvement is a mix of my skills+good tut+CS2

v2: put some c4d on the left and did some burning/dodging, and blurring/low opacity erasing of the render edges for blending...didn't like moving the text so made it bigger. Also thicker border.

Last edited by Suomi; 2011-11-11 at 18:27.
Suomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 17:50   Link #328
Haladflire65
*Artist

I think you should move the text over. As I said it feels very disconnected... Maybe a simple crop might suffice. There's quite a lot you can chop off the left side, I think.
Old 2011-11-11, 18:24   Link #329
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

You might not have to ''put'' anything but maybe darkening a part of the left side, I would say something like -+50pixels of the border. The right side is so dark compared to the left one...
Old 2011-11-11, 23:49   Link #330
Suomi
Kaiba

v3. I cropped the left side some and applied some settings to make it darker on that side, and moved the text over...how is it now?
Old 2011-11-12, 07:59   Link #331
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Its much better now ~
nway the tipo still very weak >:
Old 2011-11-12, 10:08   Link #332
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Glad to see a Smudge user around...

Not bad for "first time", since you followed a tut.
There's nothing wrong with it imo, just work on a better typo and try to not totally black on any side.
Old 2011-11-12, 11:36   Link #333
Suomi
Kaiba

Yeah, my typography's never been good >_> I mulled over that aspect of it for a while and couldn't figure out something good. Maybe I need new fonts or something.
Also, @Tong, it's not black...just dark blue.
Thanks for the CnC guys.
Old 2011-11-23, 19:22   Link #334
Suomi
Kaiba

Hey all~
Haven't had time to do more sigs, but I'll be doing some for Christmas
Any specific requests for images/characters?

List of people to do gifts for:
Halad
Godlike
Hooves
Bfly
Ganbaru
Rikikai
Rennir (ah! How did I forget you the firs time >_>)

Those people have been my main supporters throughout my time here at AS and are those I know best. Once I finish those I'll just make freebies that can be used by anyone

In the meantime, requests are OPEN.

Last edited by Suomi; 2011-11-25 at 00:21.
Suomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 19:30   Link #335
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ah, so someone finaly posted his Christmas list...
No particular request for me, I let the choice all to you. You know probably what to offert me anyway
Old 2011-11-24, 00:21   Link #336
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

v3. I cropped the left side some and applied some settings to make it darker on that side, and moved the text over...how is it now?
Sorry for neglecting to C&C your work I've been busy recently and I'm sure you can empathize seeing we're both in IB I haven't touched PS in like 5 months so you'll forgive me if my C&C isn't of the same quality as before

First of all, work on the typography. The font isn't bad, but you should usually place the text on part of the focal, otherwise it distracts from the render. Text shouldn't be used solely to make up for a lack of content in the left side of your tag (or a lack of anything for that matter); rather text is used to enhance your tag. Also, try not to use the overlay and duplicate layer type because it doesn't force you to consider the composition of your text as much (placement, blending, color, fonts, etc.), and thus, you won't see as much improvement.

Second, keep practicing your smudge technique and keep experimenting with the settings. Remember, you want to incorporate flow, detail, and texture in your smudges, and while cloud/fog smudges (a name I made up for the effect in your tag ) accomplishes that to a degree, trying other types of settings can lead to amazing results!

Third, you want to incorporate more than one effect in any tag, otherwise it becomes boring really quickly. The trick to tagging is to put a lot of detail into a piece, so that a person who sees the piece for the first time is captivated by it and keeps discovering the small deails and nuances in the piece even after looking at it for a couple of hours. Smudging is a great way to make solid effects, but you can add onto that by using c4ds or fractals for abstract lights effects, or use distortion filters for more texture, etc.

I suggest you check out these works to see what I mean and for inspiration:

Detail:
http://abo-amoud.deviantart.com/art/...aft2-268245057
http://abo-amoud.deviantart.com/art/...TW32-266779832

Texture:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3...deceptivx3.png
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2...edeceptivx.png

And this last one is probably among the top tier smudges that I've seen:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8067/shinyellow.png
Old 2011-11-25, 00:30   Link #337
Suomi
Kaiba

oh yeah the smudging technique was from a tut, and it's one of my first smudge sigs, but I definitely look forward to using more techniques and experimenting with settings...

Detail, yeah. I tried to make this one simpler, because as I put more detail into it it kept looking really busy...I usually like my sigs detailed though. I'm working on that, and the different effects thing is good to know. I'm starting to use light textures/c4d/etc (I always used brushes before) along with my brushes, and I hope to continue to improve/have some advice on that

Typography has ALWAYS been my weak point >_< I'm trying to get better at it...I just can't seem to get it quite right. I don't know what you mean by overlay and duplicate though, I just used clipping masks...my text is never there to make up for lack of content though, it is trying to add to it like you say, but I have a lot of trouble. Do you have any specific advice besides put it near the focal?

Thanks for the C&C. I hope my future sigs as I clean off some of the rust and dust will get better!
Old 2011-11-25, 02:55   Link #338
sukidanica

OMG! It all looks so great. Keep posting!
sukidanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 03:37   Link #339
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Waah? I just realized my name was in your list Illusore Thank you very much for including me in the list, although I haven't been an active supporter as of late due to watching too many animes... There's just too many... But I will be active a little more with the pile getting smaller
Old 2011-11-25, 14:12   Link #340
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
oh yeah the smudging technique was from a tut, and it's one of my first smudge sigs, but I definitely look forward to using more techniques and experimenting with settings...

Detail, yeah. I tried to make this one simpler, because as I put more detail into it it kept looking really busy...I usually like my sigs detailed though. I'm working on that, and the different effects thing is good to know. I'm starting to use light textures/c4d/etc (I always used brushes before) along with my brushes, and I hope to continue to improve/have some advice on that

Typography has ALWAYS been my weak point >_< I'm trying to get better at it...I just can't seem to get it quite right. I don't know what you mean by overlay and duplicate though, I just used clipping masks...my text is never there to make up for lack of content though, it is trying to add to it like you say, but I have a lot of trouble. Do you have any specific advice besides put it near the focal?

Thanks for the C&C. I hope my future sigs as I clean off some of the rust and dust will get better!
I dont know if this will help, but nway for the text i always use two text layers for one word, so you can move freely the two letters, and try varienting fonts, like the captal letter with one and the rest with other font and colors too. Also i dont know if you have some fonts installed at your comp, but try downloading some, they are better then some that come with windows, my fav site is dafont.com
ps. some tutorials for you ^~
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...orial#/d2aniq1
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...orial#/d1ia8ot