AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-10-09, 18:55   Link #17961
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I think Kyrie was confirmed dead for EP's 1 & 2's 1st Twilights in EP4.

Anyway, I remember I came up with a crack-theory for Kyrie, before EP7 was released:

Spoiler for Le Kyrie et 00Gohdá:
Hmm. I read the Red Truth list and Kyrie actually did die in the First Twilight in EP2. But that's the only outlier.

Well, she could still have done it for EP1, EP3 and EP4. Can't really explain EP2's First Twilight, though, without using another culprit.

Maybe Kyrie can coordinate the murders before she dies, and when she actually dies she can still be considered the "culprit." I still find it funny how all of the Umineko mothers end up protecting the children at some point except for Kyrie.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 19:48   Link #17962
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
That said, I understand where you are coming from. But I personally prefer crimes that seem impossible, yet remain fair with the reader.
Depends on what is considered fair. It always depends on your educational, social and general private background what you consider fair.
There are some Western readers who don't consider the solution to the epitaph fair, because it uses knowledge of the Japanese language and writing as well as East Asian history.
Just as well, many readers would consider it unfair if the solution depended on certain knowledge of the occult, foreign languages or meta-symbolism.
In a Japanese mystery novel I read once,
Spoiler for hint to solution of 霧越邸殺人事件:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
...Or it just isn't a mystery, and it fits Ryuukushi's initial promise? Hmm.
This would be hilarious, and I would actually be okay with it. Though even if it isn't a mystery, it will be a Burning Court ending of sorts.
Nah, I think the point where I would still buy that has long passed.
He has put so much effort into playing us into making us believe that there is nothing supernatural going on hidden behind all that 'magic'...anticlimactic wouldn't even begin to describe the effect of it.

And even then, basically the story is a mystery wether natural or supernatural.
There is a truth hidden behind many different representations of the same event. The only way of not making this a mystery was, if he would refuse to give any answers to questions he brought up himself. And then it would just be a big hoax...
Of course, for those who love Umineko for being 'a troll' it would be great fun. But I think for many others, including me, it would just be a disappointment because of the many lost hours thinking about a mystery that did not exist.

In that matter Umineko is fundamentaly different from Higurashi.
While Higurashi was also a mystery in a way, the quality of the answer did not really matter as long as it did not contradict anything that was introduced before.
Takano could have been Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation, there could have been real aliens or mole-people...it could even have been a giant case of raving madness. It never set real limits for the answer it gave in the end.

But Umineko made it very clear that there are fundamental qualities to the answer, one way or the other.
If the witch is true, all was true from the beginning. There would be no point in drawing out the story in the first place and every reason is lost to magic.
If there is a human solution, then it has to be by human means and in the confines that the witch trapped us in, or else the battle was not fair and there was no point in even starting to play the game.
And a solution that's neither of the two would be just sad. Higurashi could pull it off, because basically it didn't matter, but in Umineko's case Ryukishi made it more and more clear that it is 'either, or' and not 'neither, nor'.

In the end there is no chance for Umineko NOT to be a mystery. The only pathes left are to succeed or to fail as one.
Old 2010-10-09, 20:40   Link #17963
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Depends on what is considered fair. It always depends on your educational, social and general private background what you consider fair.
There are some Western readers who don't consider the solution to the epitaph fair, because it uses knowledge of the Japanese language and writing as well as East Asian history.
Just as well, many readers would consider it unfair if the solution depended on certain knowledge of the occult, foreign languages or meta-symbolism.
In a Japanese mystery novel I read once,
Spoiler for hint to solution of 霧越邸殺人事件:
Well, I think that anyone who thinks that the epitaph solution isn't fair has to remember that they are not exactly the intended audience.

I not once bothered with the epitaph because I knew perfectly well that my rusty Japanese wasn't enough to make me understand it. It's kind of a given.

As for the novel you cited, it sounds...Interesting. Had anything in the novel hinted a
Spoiler for 霧越邸殺人事件:

Quote:
Of course, for those who love Umineko for being 'a troll' it would be great fun. But I think for many others, including me, it would just be a disappointment because of the many lost hours thinking about a mystery that did not exist.
I would be disappointed if it had a non-existent mystery, but if the ending was
Spoiler for Burning Court:
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:00   Link #17964
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I'd still be all for "there was a witch after all, but she wasn't the murderer and didn't use her magic to cause or cover up any of the crimes." Just to see the twitch in Bern's eye.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:03   Link #17965
Will Wright

I'm only fine with a witch if her existence can be denied. If it goes "there was a witch after all, but she wasn't the murderer and didn't use her magic to cause or cover up any of the crimes." let's just say that Bern wouldn't be the only one twitching.
Old 2010-10-09, 21:08   Link #17966
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Awwww c'mon, it's still totally explicable by human means!

The better question would be why she didn't use her damn magic to stop it. Must be a Samantha Stevens kind of witch.

Old 2010-10-09, 21:19   Link #17967
CainSonozaki

Quote:
"there was a witch after all, but she wasn't the murderer and didn't use her magic to cause or cover up any of the crimes."
Umm. MARIA
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:20   Link #17968
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Wouldn't we all feel like assholes if everything Maria ever said was true.

Old 2010-10-09, 21:21   Link #17969
Leafsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'd still be all for "there was a witch after all, but she wasn't the murderer and didn't use her magic to cause or cover up any of the crimes." Just to see the twitch in Bern's eye.
I can definitely imagine Battler concluding this after explaining the entire thing from a human perspective.

And possibly leaving one non-murder related mystery in order to prevent the witch from being denied.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:28   Link #17970
TehChron

Quote:
I would spend the remainder of my existence figuring out a way to travel to those Kakeras just so I could punch her in the face while shes in the middle of one of her rants.

FAL-CHRON...PUNCH!
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 22:34   Link #17971
Will Wright

Quote:
Considering how I hate Maria, I would probably hate Umineko.
Old 2010-10-09, 23:32   Link #17972
Marion
The Great Dine

Well Maria believes Beatrice IS causing all the crimes, not the opposite
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 02:46   Link #17973
Used Can

Quote:
Well, I think that anyone who thinks that the epitaph solution isn't fair has to remember that they are not exactly the intended audience.
Well, you didn't really need Japanese to solve it. In fact, the few hints that relied on some Japanese understanding were explained - like the difference between Golden Land and Capital of Gold. In fact, rather than Japanese, you needed English, to go through the whole QUADRILLION, and LORDU thing. In fact, if the last part of the Taiwan theory is correct, then you also needed some Western knowledge about 0 hours = Witching hour.

Of course, you also needed the info that Taiwan was a Japanese colony once, and that it was known for gold mining. Needless to say, going as far as using Qilian was a bitch, but yeah... fuck Taiwan. Either way, you do not really need Japanese to solve this. Anyhow, it makes me wonder how many Japanese people know about Taiwan being used for the gold, and the whole info about Qilian. Personally, I think even if you were Japanese, the Epitaph was indeed slightly unfair (and "slightly" may be an understatement).

Quote:
Nah... I always find children with dual personalities interesting.
Old 2010-10-10, 04:34   Link #17974
fuff

okay i was reading wiki and this does not make any sense...who is Lion Ushiromiya???

is "it" the child of Natsuhi??

this is what wiki says:
"Lion is actually Kinzo's son/daughter that he had with his other daughter"
.....from this i get kinzo did rosa or eva?? WTF
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 07:57   Link #17975
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Spoiler for answer to fuff, this is Episode7 spoiler.:

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 08:15   Link #17976
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well you need a minimum understanding of Kanji in order to get the part of "the two" the "mouth" and the "shore". In fact the "mouth" part isn't even possible to translate in english.

Without any knowledge of that sort even if you get to Taiwan and even if you understand that the river is the danshui line you still wouldn't be able to understand which is the station that you are supposed to pick, apart from some reverse engineering if you already take for granted that initial sentence is quadrillion.

But this is where the riddle gets a little ridiculous in my opinion, that's the only flaw I can see in the whole construction and solution:

If you already know about "quadrillion" then that part of "ougon no kyou" is totally useless.

Old 2010-10-10, 11:57   Link #17977
Leafsnail

"Kuwadorian" and the "Quadrillion to one" things are both clues that that's the "key". I guess the idea is that all the siblings had a chance since they knew where Kinzo was brought up, but some working out (and possibly an atlas) would be required for the reader.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 12:07   Link #17978
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Actually "Kuwadorian" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the epitaph, and it isn't even the place where the secret room with the gold exists.

In fact, Battler and Erika solved the riddle without having any knowledge about that place. (Although they weren't supposed to have any knowledge about the chapel's inscription either)

Old 2010-10-10, 13:19   Link #17979
Kataryn

Spoiler for Question:
Kataryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 13:36   Link #17980
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Spoiler for Question:
Yasuda (Yasu for short) is the fake surname that was given to the child that Natsuhi (in 1967) was supposed to adopt and raise as her firstborn son/daughter.She/he was supposed to be named Lion Ushiromiya.

Since Natsuhi refused the child and since Kinzo is a pervert swine, Genji with the cooperation of Nanjo and Kumasawa let them believe that "Lion" was dead. In truth that child was still alive and was saved by the doctor. For a while Lion lived in the fukuin orphanage but then Genji thought it was more appropriate for someone with the Ushiromiya blood (yeah Yasu/Lion is Kinzo's and Beatrice2's child) to live in Rokkenjima. So that poor child was hired as a servant at the tender age of 6 (in 1976)... or so everyone believed because the real age was actually 9. Genji even manipulated that in order to remove any possible connection with the child that Natsuhi was supposed to adopt.

Anyway from that day onward "Yasu" began working like every other fukuin children while attending school at the same time. Needless to say it was a chore, and the older fukuin servants didn't like to work alongside a brat that had no reason to be there. Yasu is in fact a nickname that they gave to her/him, and she/he never really liked to be called by that.

We were never told what was Yasu's fukuin name or "real" name. We also never seen how Yasu looked like, but by logic she/he should have the same face of the "Lion Ushiromiya" of the alternative reality that Willard Wright meets in Bern's catbox world.

The story as it was narrated shows Yasu and Shannon as two different persons, however Yasu's background completely matches with Shannon's background as it was told to us from Ep1 to Ep4. So it's pretty much certain that Shannon and Yasu are the very same person, but Yasu for some reasons split her Shannon self from his/her real self. And that isn't even the only "personality" she/he build in her/his imaginary world.

Yasu is the same person as Lion, Shannon, Beatrice, Claire, Gaap and probably Kanon too.