AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-08, 22:19   Link #1
Seiryuu

Anyone know this one?

This is a live action, not anime, but it's been bothering me for the longest time. About the time Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon came out, I saw another live action. I'm not sure which far eastern country made it. But it was one of the few live action shows that truly impressed me with action and effects. Here's the story:

Long ago, there was a shogun who was having imperial ambitions. Through various means, he obtained a "puzzle-box", which would give him the key to power. He could not figure any of it out, and forced a monk to open it. The monk only opened the outermost portion, revealing the first half of the prophecy. It said of a small goldfish that obtained the powers of wind and cloud and through them became a dragon. This meant that the shogun could become emperor with the power of wind and cloud. Later, the shogun kills many families and steals their swords and sons. Among these sons, two are among the highest in his army: Wind, and Cloud. But the emperor is not entirely good, and there is another part to the prophecy that the priest found later: the dragon is powerful and fearsome, but he shall be made low when wind and cloud together become a storm. and then, Fate ends too soon, should the emperor be killed.

I think this was called "Storm Riders" or something like that. It came out around the same time as Crouching Tiger here in America, but I can't find it anywhere, online or offline. Anyone know the exact name of this movie, and if so, where I might go to acquire it?
Old 2004-03-09, 01:25   Link #2
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
This is a live action, not anime, but it's been bothering me for the longest time. About the time Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon came out, I saw another live action. I'm not sure which far eastern country made it. But it was one of the few live action shows that truly impressed me with action and effects. Here's the story:

Long ago, there was a shogun who was having imperial ambitions. Through various means, he obtained a "puzzle-box", which would give him the key to power. He could not figure any of it out, and forced a monk to open it. The monk only opened the outermost portion, revealing the first half of the prophecy. It said of a small goldfish that obtained the powers of wind and cloud and through them became a dragon. This meant that the shogun could become emperor with the power of wind and cloud. Later, the shogun kills many families and steals their swords and sons. Among these sons, two are among the highest in his army: Wind, and Cloud. But the emperor is not entirely good, and there is another part to the prophecy that the priest found later: the dragon is powerful and fearsome, but he shall be made low when wind and cloud together become a storm. and then, Fate ends too soon, should the emperor be killed.

I think this was called "Storm Riders" or something like that. It came out around the same time as Crouching Tiger here in America, but I can't find it anywhere, online or offline. Anyone know the exact name of this movie, and if so, where I might go to acquire it?
English name - The Storm Riders

Shown in 1998

Original name (Chinese/Cantonese) - 风云 (Feng1 Yun2/Fung Wan)
Based on the Chinese manga/comic by 马荣成 (Ma Rong Cheng/Ma Wang Shing)

You can buy the DVD off Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...767529-6600907
Old 2004-03-09, 02:47   Link #3
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
English name - The Storm Riders

Shown in 1998

Original name (Chinese/Cantonese) - 风云 (Feng1 Yun2/Fung Wan)
Based on the Chinese manga/comic by 马荣成 (Ma Rong Cheng/Ma Wang Shing)

You can buy the DVD off Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...767529-6600907
Yea, it was a really cool movie. The real title to "Storm Riders" for us would be "Wind and Cloud" (the english name for "Feng Yun" aka "Fung Wan") if you want to look it up else where for the comic/manga (I forgot what the Chinese term is for comic/manga)
Old 2004-03-09, 03:30   Link #4
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I think I saw this movie a while back... this had the guy who played Chan ho Nam from those gangsta movies right?

anyways... I thought it was alright... it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either... I liked the special powers! I don't think you should buy it... if this is the movie I'm thinking about, it was available for rent at my local blockbuster.... it's definitely worth a rental not a purchase...
Old 2004-03-11, 12:50   Link #5
takuan

Send a message via AIM to takuan
Yes, this is the one with the guy who played Chan ho Nam aka Ekin Cheng.

I didn't think this movie was all that great either, it at the time it came out in HK it looked like it had a fairly big budget for special effects. So, yep. Rent it, don't buy.
Old 2004-04-15, 19:54   Link #6
junko
model bliss

Mud Buddha was cool. But, dude, Frost, get a life!
And a spine.
Closed Thread