AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-06-12, 10:16   Link #4101
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Interesting fact from this article. We can't blame Tanigawa for not putting out Surprise last year. He finished it last fall and it could have been released in Japan last November. Kadokawa thought to release it simultaneously throughout Asia, thus delaying the release by 6 months, as a way to prevent bootleg copies from being sold in those countries.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2011-06-13 at 05:20.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 14:19   Link #4102
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Interesting fact from this article. We can't blame Tanigawa for not putting out Surprise last year. He finished it last fall and it could have been released in Japan last November. Kadokawa thought to release it simultaneously throughout Asia, thus delaying the release by 6 months, as a way to prevent bootleg copies from being sold in those countries.
That's marketing for you; to promote the simultaneous release as a good thing, when in reality there had been a delay.

I don't suppose this is standard practice? But if they liked the outcome they might do this more often.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-06-14 at 12:13. Reason: Fixed link in quote.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 02:55   Link #4103
ijuinkun

Pardon, the link is broken.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 05:20   Link #4104
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Pardon, the link is broken.
It has been fixed in the post.

Old 2011-06-14, 02:37   Link #4105
ijuinkun

Odd. I'm still getting a 404 error.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 03:53   Link #4106
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

You need to remove the first http//

Then all will be swell.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 09:06   Link #4107
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Released today by the Sneaker Bunko editorial staff, here are some images from OFFICIAL FANBOOK: The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya:

(Spoiled for size. There are no spoilers for the latest novels in the images)
Spoiler for Relatively big images:

The front cover and insert pinup illustration were newly drawn images from Noizi Itou. This image contains Haruhi, Sasaki, and the new girl in Surprise:
Spoiler for size:

The layout is as follows:
Chapter 1: Characters
  • Kyon
  • Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Yuki Nagato
  • Mikuru Asahina
  • Itsuki Koizumi
  • Ryouko Asakura
  • Tsuruya-san
  • Sasaki
  • Kuyou Suou
  • Kyouko Tachibana
  • Fujiwara
  • (New Character)
  • Taniguchi
  • Kunikida
  • Sonou Mori/Arkawa
  • Emiri Kimidori
  • Student Council President
  • Kyon's Sister
  • Everyone Else
Chapter 2: Summary of works
  1. Melancholy
  2. Sigh
  3. Boredom
  4. Disappearance
  5. Rampage
  6. Wavering
  7. Intrigue
  8. Anger
  9. Dissociation
  10. Surprise (First/Final)
Chapter 3: Question/Answers with Nagaru Tanigawa/Noizi Itou
Chapter 4: Unreleased Manuscript from A Study in August (It's 16 pages long, I doubt it's the full version but it should have some details about what the story was about)
Chapter 5: Roundtable Discussion (Tanigawa/Itou/Editor-in-Chief)
Chapter 6: Supplementary Information

(All credit goes to an anonymous poster on 2ch)

Old 2011-06-15, 10:01   Link #4108
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Sorry for double-posting, but I have gotten permission to post something.

In the 64 page booklet included in the LE first pressing of Surprise, the new editor-in-charge wrote about some interesting tidbits regarding the titles/cover of Melancholy as well as the cover illustrations of Disappearance and Wavering-Anger. I really liked reading about their thoughts in the process. In order to keep the images ordered specifically, I've had to keep them in a separate document, but I have three variations.

Without further delay, here is a translated version of The Untold Story of Haruhi Suzumiya:PDF/DOC/DOCX

(This is not included in the fanbook mentioned in the above post)

Old 2011-06-15, 10:19   Link #4109
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Released today by the Sneaker Bunko editorial staff, here are some images from OFFICIAL FANBOOK: The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya:
Ah, is that the fabled novel time-line I see?

I know the author keeps track of the events in every single book and date them precisely. And it appears this is what the book is showing us.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:13   Link #4110
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Nice! I especially love the pinup pic ^.^ I'll have to see if Kinokuniya has copies when I go to AX~

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Yumeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 22:05   Link #4111
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Oricon is reporting that the LE sold 16,618 copies last week to reach 405,113 total copies in three weeks. That's just under 79% of all copies printed sold thus far. When the CE charts next week, we'll have to separate that into another count from the LE as that only counts as one book sold.

Old 2011-06-22, 23:06   Link #4112
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Kadokawa took out an ad in today's Nikkei newspaper to promote the novel series. In it they announced that, for the first time, a light novel has sold over one million copies. That novel is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, the first novel.

Old 2011-06-23, 00:32   Link #4113
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Kadokawa took out an ad in today's Nikkei newspaper to promote the novel series. In it they announced that, for the first time, a light novel has sold over one million copies. That novel is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, the first novel.
That is fantastic news! Yet another "first/only series to___" in Haruhi's repertoire XD

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Yumeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 01:08   Link #4114
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
That's great news for the franchise. I wonder if the release of Surprise and the marketing that Kadokawa has done to promote it also led to more sales of the first novel. Perhaps this may be a further clue that Kadokawa may want more Haruhi anime to keep up the excitement.

Since I don't want to double post, I'll add that I bought and read Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya three weeks ago. Reading the original material for the Endless Eight and Day of the Sagittarius was interesting, and I loved Snowy Mountain Syndrome. I thought the change from Haru-nyan to Harls was a little awkward but I suppose it was the best way in English to show that Tsuruya likes to give people nicknames. Koizumi's punning remark to Kyon about snow was very well done too.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 07:03   Link #4115
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The LE of Surprise sold 8,888 copies last week to reach 414,001 sold via Oricon. It was 31st place.

The Official Fanbook: The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya sold 19,542 in its first week to rank 8th via Oricon's rankings.

Old 2011-06-23, 17:10   Link #4116
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

They mention an explanation for the four year delay in these extra novels getting published being in the postscript. Does anyone have that?

Also, does anyone know where it was that Itou posted that alternate style of Haruhi with pigtails+glasses?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 20:52   Link #4117
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

So here's part I of what I'll be translating from Observation:

The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya
Chapter 3: Question-and-Answers
Part I: Nagaru Tanigawa Collection

1. Of the Haruhi Suzumiya series which is the character you like best (or is most impressive)?
Haruhi. She's the beginning of it all and one day will be the end.

2. What's your favorite story?
If I had to say one it'd be Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Thanks to that story being written, I was able to compose Disappearance.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines you go by when you compose a title in the series?
Well, they have to all be The (blank) of Haruhi Suzumiya, but that (blank) has to correlate to something in the book. If I choose a title that's misdirecting, then that would give off a negative image.

4. How were you able to come up with Haruhi, Nagato, and Mikuru's characters?
They were unchanged from the beginning. As characters, Haruhi gives off a high-tension image, Nagato is more of a low tension character and somewhere in the middle is Mikuru. They all just happened to be like that.

5. Who do you think is the strongest between the aliens, time travelers, espers, and sliders?
That depends on the situation they're in. Don't forget that humans are pretty resilient too.

6.Please give some advice to any Haruhi cosplayers.
When performing as someone you like you have to be in the mental shape of the character.

7. Are there plans to introduce new characters in future works?
Classified information.

8. What ideas for future works have you thought about?
Very classified information.

9. Do you have any plans for the members of the SOS Brigade will do after graduation?
That's also classified information. Well, really I don't know myself.

10. Who do you think you most resemble in the SOS Brigade?
I'd have to go outside the Brigade and say Taniguchi. Ideally I'd like to be like Koizumi, but I don't think I'm suited to fulfill that spot.

11. Haruhi always keeps an eye on events that happen each season. Tanigawa-sensei, do you have any plans for this summer?
I tend to let the seasons pass without doing anything special in particular. Occasionally now I end up forgetting what month, date, or even day it is right now.

12. Please tell us what is the best summer you had forgotten about.
I suppose it would be the summer of my second year in high school. Instead of studying like I should have been doing, I was busy writing stories in my notebook. Even now I tend to blush when I think about it.

13. In the postscript for Intrigue, you wrote about "Strange enigmatic transmissions [in my] notes." Would you mind expanding on that for us?
When I was in middle school, I started a notebook that was full of joking things. When I had a joke for a story I would write it down. Eventually it became my everyday habit to think and write in that notebook. It's already been ten-odd years since I started that and through countless books. I'm sure if I read through them now they wouldn't be interesting…. or perhaps I should say that I shouldn't re-read them again. Whatever I wrote about is likely buried deep in the gaps of my memories by now.

14. What's your favorite genre of books?
Foreign sci-fi and Japanese classic mysteries.

15. What's your favorite type of game?
Strategy simulations and shooting games.

16. What's your favorite sport?
American football. Of course that's only watching, not playing.

17. What's your favorite food?
Spicy curry.

18. What don't you like to eat?
Raw eggs and eggplant.

19. What is your favorite brand of cigarettes?
As long as the smoke rises anything would be good for me.

20. What's your favorite kind of alcohol?
Beer.

21. What is your favorite movie?
Among other things, my favorites would be The Hidden and Killing Time.

22. Do you keep any pets?
While she's not male, I do have a tortoise shell cat. Already she's twenty years old now.

23. What kind of music do you listen to while writing?
I have to have a soundless environment while writing or else I can't concentrate.

24. What must you have beside you when you are writing?
Tea and a Japanese dictionary.

25. What do you do when you're discouraged when writing?
I lie down in bed or go take a bath.

26. What did you do when you were a student? Was there something like the SOS Brigade in your school?
I didn't have that type of experience at all. There wasn't anything like the SOS Brigade that I know of. To answer your first question, I thought preparing for the cultural festival was very fun.

27. Please tell us any special memories you had from your high school days.
You might be surprised, but there's none from those three years. The only thing I can remember is breaking the rules by coming on bike for those three years.

28. Do you have any memories from your school festivals?
The only thing I remember is the art club and another class that had a fried soba café. I wasn't able to enter that shop though.

29. What was your favorite subject in school?
World history.

30. Do you have any policies when you play mahjong?
Just don't disturb the field.

31. Up until now, what was the best game of mahjong that you remember?
On the last turn one time I was able to turn it around and get a little four winds yakuman.

32. How old were you when you rode a motorcycle for the first time?
I was about 22 when I rode my coworker's worn-out FZR.

33. What kind of motorcycles do you ride now?
Just a little while ago my bike was decommissioned, so I'm not riding anything now.

34. How old were you when you had your first love? What kind of person was she?
It was in kindergarten…. no, elementary school…. no, it was middle school when I met her. She was a little bit of an airhead if I remember. I can't remember anything else.

35. How old were you when you wrote your first story? What was it about?
It was in my second year of middle school when I wrote about my classmate N as a protagonist in a gag short story. Incidentally, he never got to see it.

36. Do you wear glasses, contacts, or do you go without eye correction?
Up until now I've went without, glasses, contacts (that I kept losing), and then glasses.

37. Is there anyone you're awaiting on your cell phone now?
I'm waiting to hear from Noizi Itou-san about using Haruhi for a charity event for the massive earthquake.

38. You were a manager for an apparel shop at one time if I remember. Do you have any stories from then?
I remember one girl who was a part-timer that came in and was talking on her phone. She got into a fight with her older brother and was late due to him.

39. Please tell us about the history of your pen name.
Well, already I'm starting to regret the specifics of it. Now what I chose as "Nagaru" ends up having to be written as "Ryuu." I'm already having to write myself as "Tanigawa Ryuu" in order to properly identify myself. Other than that, everything has been fine.

40. Please tell us what you think of the new head of the Sneaker Bunko editorial department.
After being married he's often truly happily boasting about his wife and dog. He's also got an interesting name too.

41. Was there anything that impressed you during the exchange of information with the new head?
During the correction of the manuscript, we were able to fix almost half of all the mistakes right there.

42. Are you a morning, afternoon, or evening person?
Easily a super late night person. Around midnight or at least after ten is when I most prefer it.

43. It's now May of 2011. Is there anything you really wish for now?
I'd like a robot maid who specializes in cleaning after cats and who can also help prepare me to ride the bullet trains.

44. What historical figure do you like best?
Cao Cao.

45. If it's possible to freely go to the past, what year would you go to and what would you do?
I'd go to the 1994 Imora Circuit race before the Sena machine ruined it.

46. Up until now, who would you say most influenced you? (excluding family)
My classmate Y-kun who I shared classes with from 4th year of elementary school until the first year of middle school.

47. What do you find yourself most enthused about in your spare time recently?
I arbitrarily think about historical riddles and try to come to my own conclusion for them.

48. Please tell us what you look forward to in the future.
I hope to continue working hard and trying my best not to be a bother to anyone.

49. What were your thought about the worldwide simultaneous release of The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya?
It was an extreme honor. I never imagined when I submitted Melancholy to the Sneaker Grand Prize that it would win much less be immensely popular not only in Japan but around the world as well. I had only thought of a title about ten seconds before the due date when I submitted it and I was lucky that it became so popular. Fortune is truly an unpredictable thing.

50. Please give a message to the fans who are awaiting your next work.
To everyone reading, please continue living your life the way you think best. We'll all do our best from here on.

Old 2011-06-24, 21:25   Link #4118
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Those questions are so thourogh, I feel rude reading them.

But honestly, I feel kind of strange. Maybe it's because i'm a big fan or maybe its calcium deficency, but I'm sort of in awe. Nagaru Tanigawa always fascinated me. He came up with an amzingly unique story that I dream about most nights. How did the one little idea become the hopes and dreams of so many who want this life?

Maybe I just like him 'cause he likes Haruhi for the same reasons I do. I don't know. I always feel strange whenever I read the Author's Notes and inverviews. Not strange bad, but in a peaceful way.

headache.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 23:08   Link #4119
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
9. Do you have any plans for the members of the SOS Brigade will do after graduation?
That's also classified information. Well, really I don't know myself.
That pretty much confirms that the Haruhi novels will not continue past Kyon and Haruhi's highschool graduation. Though there is no reason Mikuru can't graduate a year earlier.

Quote:
1. Of the Haruhi Suzumiya series which is the character you like best (or is most impressive)?
Haruhi. She's the beginning of it all and one day will be the end.
There we go, folks. Haruhi is the Alpha and Omega, straight from the author's mouth.

Can we please kill the "Kyon is God" theory once and for all now?
Old 2011-06-25, 02:03   Link #4120
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That pretty much confirms that the Haruhi novels will not continue past Kyon and Haruhi's highschool graduation. Though there is no reason Mikuru can't graduate a year earlier.
And I think that's a good thing. Having an indefinite period for this series to go on would result in stagnation for sure. At most, I think a final epilogue that take place years later would be the last of it.

Quote:
There we go, folks. Haruhi is the Alpha and Omega, straight from the author's mouth.

Can we please kill the "Kyon is God" theory once and for all now?
I think the "Kyon is God" theory has been losing steam lately anyway, although I've heard a more plausible theory that they're both Gods. Whatever.

Also, didn't Tanigawa once say that Nagato was his favorite? Maybe he changed his mind over the course of the last few years.

In any case, Haruhi is a blast to write, so I can see why he'd like her so much.
Jonbob0008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga