Notices

Old 2009-08-30, 03:47   Link #181
kalbron

Heh. That'd be pretty funny too.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 04:46   Link #182
kujoe
from head to heel

Ok, my memory is a bit sketchy right now... but doesn't the game mention that Vyse and Aika come from a different country from the west..?

Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 04:58   Link #183
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Ok, my memory is a bit sketchy right now... but doesn't the game mention that Vyse and Aika come from a different country from the west..?

Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me?
Rather than a different country they come from a different game ^^

I'm pretty sure the background of Sky of Arcadia's crew in the VC world is supposed to stay mysterious.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 05:13   Link #184
kujoe
from head to heel

Of course, I know that. I was referring to their bio on Valkyria Chronicles itself.

They were spun off from their original counterparts, but their versions here are different.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 21:38   Link #185
attobyte

Well, if in the scans were not written 1937 as the year for this new game I would speculate about little Isara ...

Spoiler for Valkyria Chronicle PS3 game:

trying to save her school and friends.
attobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 23:03   Link #186
Neovoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
As par mentioned way back on page 3, they will retain the CANVAS graphic engine, but will tune it to suit the PSP.

Also :-

Apparently, Max's reseach had not gone unnoticed. Think we'll take on an army of those ?
Well, the second game looks like its stepping into Wolfenstein territory here with the enemy carrying on paranormal research creating advance weaponry and presuming powered armor. I'm pretty sure this'll fall under the Stupid Jetpack Hitler Trope.
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 14:00   Link #187
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovoid View Post
Well, the second game looks like its stepping into Wolfenstein territory here with the enemy carrying on paranormal research creating advance weaponry and presuming powered armor. I'm pretty sure this'll fall under the Stupid Jetpack Hitler Trope.
Ummm yea they kinda already had that in the first game. I disagree about it falling under that trope, and hardly Wolfenstein territory since ppl have been using that theme/trope years before Wolf...
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 14:50   Link #188
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Besides, that occult phenomenon in Wolfenstein is way overblown. To the point that its slightly offensive for my sensitivities. I have recently played Wolfenstein (2009), and I have concluded that it is definitely one of the worst of the genre. The entire game was bullshit in the making. This is probably the one and only game I will ever recommend the Bundestag to ban.

Valkyria Chronicles does not deal with cult worship. The sources of supernatural powers in the world of VC is a confirmed historical fact. Especially since relics of a lost civilization, namely ragnite, exists in abundance. There are visible ruins of a once great civilization still dotting all over the landscape of Europa. This is very unlike Wolfenstein, where information associated with the occult comes in scraps.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 02:49   Link #189
Neovoid

Regardless, the idea of humans that are almost literally walking WMDs when wielding special weapons made from a fictional material is still considered paranormal or at least unconventional in our world. set in tI'm not saying the VC and Wolfenstein are the same, its just they're both h

Also according to the glossary:

Quote:
Valkyrur Common Knowledge

Legends of the War of the Valkyrur and a number of traditions that stem from
this ancient people can be found in all areas of Europa, and a basic awareness
of the Valkyrur's existence pervades the land as common knowledge.

The generally held view of this race is as saviors of the continent who led all
of Europa to prosperity, with some going as far to worship them as divinities.
That said, the bloodline is said to have died out long ago, resulting in a
thinning of their presence within the popular consciousness. Today, there are
many who view them less as historical fact than as the stuff of legend.
In fact people in Europa have even started revering them as gods

Quote:
Valkyria Worship

Some Europans hold the Valkyrur as the object of religious worship. Known to
have possessed superhuman abilities, the Valkyrur are understood as either gods
or the vassals of god in several sects, the largest of them known as Yggdism.

The Yggdist faith arose at the start of the 3rd Century and gradually spread to
all regions of Europa. Its tenets hold that the Valkyrur were a race of gods,
and its mythology draws heavily from the northern legends brought in during
their conquest.

Because beliefs have traditionally taken the form of popular superstitions tied
closely to everyday practices, regional differences abound, blurring the lines
between one sect and the next.
I'm not saying that VC and Wolfenstein are the same, its just they both take place in a WWII setting with supernatural elements. Speaking of which, looks like those new Elite Mooks are carrying a portable generator via their backpack on a smaller scale then the one Max was using (multiple generators). If they're immune to damage like Max, I have feeling we're going target and fire at those two "Rods" to bring them down.

Last edited by Neovoid; 2009-09-02 at 03:03.
Old 2009-09-02, 07:31   Link #190
Tak

Quote:
In fact people in Europa have even started revering them as gods
Yes, but there is a difference between public faith (this) and occult worship.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-02, 08:57   Link #191
Neovoid

I never mentioned the word "Occult" at all in any of my posts or called the people in Europa who worshiped the Valkyrur cultists or religious fanatics. In fact, the glossary even stated that most people believe it was all superstition probably thanks modern day discoveries like the Scientific Theory.

Although the Empire (Maximillium's Faction) did carry out their Valkyrur research in secret hoping that it would be their "Trump Card" (or at least one of their Trump Cards) to conquer all of Europa. If all of Europa knew the the Valkyrur Legends were true and that there are individuals that possess incredible destructive power when wielding ragnite weapons, then why wouldn't other nations like the Federation carry out their own Valkyrur research like by testing its population for potential Valkyria lineage? Its not like they didn't have the technology.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:54   Link #192
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
If all of Europa knew the the Valkyrur Legends were true and that there are individuals that possess incredible destructive power when wielding ragnite weapons, then why wouldn't other nations like the Federation carry out their own Valkyrur research like by testing its population for potential Valkyria lineage? Its not like they didn't have the technology.
Why not? I for one suspect some combination of politics and paranoia on the part of assorted government officials. After all, they reason, a Valkyrur is not exactly as controllable as, say, a dog... and the 'kill switch' technology seen in Deus Ex and a few other places is a couple of generations down the road. If you like, we over in the fanfiction thread would be happy to discuss this further therein.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 18:52   Link #193
Neovoid

I guess a real life version of that scenario would be why the US started the Manhattan Project in secret due to Albert Einstein's letter to President Roosevelt warning him that Germany is researching the atomic bomb and that they needed to complete this before they could.
Old 2009-09-02, 20:55   Link #194
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On that issue, another consideration is resources. The US was able to get the bomb because they poured money into the Project, in addition to their massive production of weaponry (bombers, tanks....). The very fact that they lost "only" half a million as compared to the millions of Soviet, Japanese, German and Chinese deaths says something about this resource capacity.

The Fedderation could have tried, but my guess would be that they didn't go along because it would bankrupt them.
Old 2009-09-02, 21:49   Link #195
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
On that issue, another consideration is resources. The US was able to get the bomb because they poured money into the Project, in addition to their massive production of weaponry (bombers, tanks....). The very fact that they lost "only" half a million as compared to the millions of Soviet, Japanese, German and Chinese deaths says something about this resource capacity.
Well, they also joined after 1942. By then, what do we have...

China & Japan were fighting since 1931, in addition to the Chinese civil war. In the Eastern Front, Germany dedicated no less than 75% of its military manpower in the Soviet Union. By the time America joined, most of the Axis' manpower were wasting away in vast, continental battlefields.

America, on the other hand, had the capacity to pick their battle most of the time. Its not really a fair analogy, if you ask me.

- Tak

Old 2009-09-02, 22:09   Link #196
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, how would the Axis Powers attack the US mainland? The two oceans are no small obstacle, last I checked. Also, total war between China and Japan broke out only in 1937. The '31 invasion was of Manchuria.

The US economy is huge and it's under-utilised. Ol' Hitler made a huge mistake (on par or even greater than launching the invasion of the Soviet Union) by declaring war on the US. Roosevelt had the issue of selling the European war to Congress and the Americans, since it was Japan who attacked Pearl Harbor. Hitler saved him the trouble. In fact, it isn't a stretch to imagine that the Allies never attempted to assassinate Hitler, since he was one of the Allies' greatest assets in defeating Germany.

Germany could potentially come up with the bomb, but that became impossible with the invasion of the Soviet Union. For Japan, the possibility was already remote to begin with, then they had to have their Chinese adventures....

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-09-02 at 22:22.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 22:37   Link #197
Tak

Quote:
Well, how would the Axis Powers attack the US mainland? The two oceans are no small obstacle, last I checked. Also, total war between China and Japan broke out only in 1937. The '31 invasion was of Manchuria.
I did not realize that we are discussing a possible invasion of the US mainland.

But the answer to that is, they wouldn't. The fact is that no commanders in both Japan and Germany ever seriously thought about the occupation of the United States. You can claim cases of black propaganda, but we have absolutely no conclusive evidence indicating that the Axis powers would have consider the US mainland a viable target for invasion. When U-boats were intercepting shipping from the US, Hitler was very adamant in having the Kriegsmarine doing its best not to harm US vessels. In fact, Hitler did not even want the Battle of Britain. His idea was that he'd leave the British isles alone provided the latter would allow him to have a free reign over continental Europe. Hitler would have preferred to continue business with the UK and US as usual.

Moreover, regardless when full-scale war begin, the fact is that China had been fighting Japan since '31 in addition to its own domestic agenda. I hate to say this, but the Chinese don't need foreigners to kill them, for they are way better at that themselves. Ever since the establishment of the republic until recently, China was in a constant state of warfare. I cannot think of any other country in the world today that can bear this much punishment and still remain standing.

Quote:
The US economy is huge and it's under-utilised. Ol' Hitler made a huge mistake (on par or even greater than launching the invasion of the Soviet Union) by declaring war on the US
In some perspectives, that is a foolish decision, but if you think about it, the only thing iffy about a declaration of war against the US would have been redundancy, simple as that. The US declared war against Japan as well as Germany by extension. FDR never made it a secret that he'd pursuit a Germany-first policy before and after his declaration of war against Japan. Except by that time, the German army was slowly wasting away in the Russian plains.

Quote:
Germany could potentially come up with the bomb, but that became impossible with the invasion of the Soviet Union.
Not really. Germany was awfully close. Some of their most important experiments were actually done in Norway, but it was foiled by a commando raid. While I have read sources indicating that Germany in fact completed and even tested a tactical nuclear device.

- Tak

Old 2009-09-02, 22:42   Link #198
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The extension to Germany would need some selling. That's what I'm trying to say. The "Europe first" strategy was not shared by the majority of US politicians before US entry into war. Hitler's wishes were pipe-dreams, really. Leave the British isles alone provided the latter would allow him to have a free reign over continental Europe? Britain would never live with a hostile power if it occupies Belgium across the Channel. And there's Winston. As for not harming US vessels, they are already sending shipments to the UK and the Soviet Union. Again, goes back to my assessment of Hitler being a liability to Germany with the outbreak of war.

As for the Chinese in-fighting, I'm reminded of Iraq and Afghanistan. They fight best among themselves, but any foreigner who finds their way in would have wished they didn't. As a Chinese, I dare say that the Chinese were among the best at waging civil war.

The German bomb: They had one, yes. The US prepared two, although subsequent ones would have to wait until at least Sept '45. And this was after US experiments in the desert.
Old 2009-09-02, 22:50   Link #199
Tak

Quote:
The extension to Germany would need some selling. That's what I'm trying to say. The "Europe first" strategy was not shared by the majority of US politicians before US entry into war.
The keyword here is before. After the declaration of war was made, FDR was pretty much given a free reign of directing the grand strategy, where he pursued a German-first strategy. He did encounter obstacles, particularly by the Navy, but the fact is that it did not stop him.

Quote:
As a Chinese, I dare say that the Chinese were among the best at waging civil war.
Well, yes. I think its easy to see that through the last several thousand years of Chinese history.

- Tak

Old 2009-09-02, 22:58   Link #200
Snowman24

Um...not really Valkyria chronicles talk here...you know
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote