AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2011-01-03, 17:23   Link #81
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Never would have thought that the Tokiwadai Middle School Girls' Uniform would be the #1 top-selling cosplay outfit there.
Old 2011-01-03, 22:40   Link #82
tester

I managed to get the figma Mikoto early!! Got it in HK without the game, apparently a few hundred of them were stolen from the factory in China a few weeks ago and sold on. Quality is very good, definitely not a bootleg as I have been stung by bootlegs before in the past, the quality matches the genuine figmas I have bought in the past, I made sure to inspect it before I bought it .

Doesn't come with all that many accessories though, just the hands, bag, mobile phone and lightning bit. No box as well (obviously as the box is the game), just a plastic sealed wrap. Cost me quite a bit but obviously cheaper than getting it with the useless game which I don't want at all :P so worth it imo.

I managed to get 2 so if anyone is interested in the other one, send me a pm, I am on holiday in HK but will return to the UK on the 10th and send from there.
tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 07:43   Link #83
ueXia

So .. this means the light novels are not sold in english? That sucks! Even Haruhi has its own licensed translation, why? T_T
ueXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 14:45   Link #84
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
So .. this means the light novels are not sold in english? That sucks! Even Haruhi has its own licensed translation, why? T_T
we have people who translate this in english. this question should be on the Light novel thread
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 15:59   Link #85
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
There's no 'Even Haruhi' about it; the Haruhi series is a very big title so it's no wonder that people would bring it over to English.

Unfortunately Index is just not as big and popular as Haruhi. (or even Shana I think)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 16:11   Link #86
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
There's no 'Even Haruhi' about it; the Haruhi series is a very big title so it's no wonder that people would bring it over to English.

Unfortunately Index is just not as big and popular as Haruhi. (or even Shana I think)
i though someone mentioned it did better than both based on some statistics
Old 2011-01-20, 16:23   Link #87
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
i though someone mentioned it did better than both based on some statistics
I don't doubt that, but Index is not exactly a household Anime name just yet if you know what I mean.
Old 2011-01-20, 16:53   Link #88
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I don't doubt that, but Index is not exactly a household Anime name just yet if you know what I mean.
ACtually i dont.

Dude i havent even finished haruhi and i started in the summer. im on ep 8 season 1
Old 2011-01-20, 18:12   Link #89
outerelf

Haruhi is actually a very popular Anime in America, that's why its light novels were translated.

However, from what I've seen- most companies don't bother translating the Light Novels because it just isn't cost efficient. Americans avoid them because they look like kids chapter books, and they're too advanced for kids. If you were to translate them, you'd have to be absolutely certain that you could make a profit. Index hasn't proven to be that popular in other countries.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:05   Link #90
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
Haruhi is actually a very popular Anime in America, that's why its light novels were translated.

However, from what I've seen- most companies don't bother translating the Light Novels because it just isn't cost efficient. Americans avoid them because they look like kids chapter books, and they're too advanced for kids. If you were to translate them, you'd have to be absolutely certain that you could make a profit. Index hasn't proven to be that popular in other countries.
Its cuz many kids and people in America are too mainstream. Bleach and naruto basically.

Anime itself isn't that popular in many countries i believe.
Old 2011-01-21, 12:00   Link #91
ueXia

Quote:

You're kidding me right? Index novels score over 10million copies so far.

What you wanted to say was "Haruhi is more popular in the USA"
Old 2011-01-21, 13:05   Link #92
tsunade666

Haruhi and Shana is popular world wide that even in my country its well known and dub.

Given the premises of Index. It wouldn't hit that good on christian or religious dominating country.

The proof of the fame of haruhi and shana is the novel is translated and the anime is dubbed.

EDIT:

if the novel sales only in japan it scores almost 11 million and it's already in the top 10 best selling light novel of all time in japan. But that's japan only.
Old 2011-01-21, 18:01   Link #93
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
You're kidding me right? Index novels score over 10million copies so far.

What you wanted to say was "Haruhi is more popular in the USA"
Well what I meant to say was "Haruhi is more popular anywhere".

Light Novel sales is one thing, but Index hasn't reached a point where it becomes an Anime phenomenon much like what Haruhi is/was...
Old 2011-01-22, 02:41   Link #94
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Even slayers which is the most popular light novel havent had much success with its novels outside japan, point is that most of this novels dont have bishi guys, moe girls, or even pretty girls and hot guys, and even whey they are their antics arent that suggestive most of the time.

And most of the time they are coven from head to toe. Touma and Accelerator arent exactly hot or pretty, nor sexy (in other series senses).
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 10:21   Link #95
ueXia

I see, it's a real shame though .. I would absolutely pay whatever the price is for the current 22 novels. Don't get me wrong with Baka-Tsuki, but I always enjoy having something oficial and (why not) hard-covered books.
Old 2011-01-22, 22:25   Link #96
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:

Index is more popular than Shana in Japan (by a good margin). It's not more popular than Haruhi. The argument can be made that Shana was more popular than Index in the west at a time due to it having been licensed and dubbed early, thus leading to it being one of the first anime many people watched in the west, but these days I peg Index as being more popular than Shana in the west due to the online community. And none of them are household names. The only real household name anime are Gundam, Dragonball, Naruto, etc.

Also, the reason why Index hasn't been licensed is because publishers learned light novels are not a popular medium in the west.
Old 2011-01-23, 01:18   Link #97
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Index is more popular than Shana in Japan (by a good margin). It's not more popular than Haruhi. The argument can be made that Shana was more popular than Index in the west at a time due to it having been licensed and dubbed early, thus leading to it being one of the first anime many people watched in the west, but these days I peg Index as being more popular than Shana in the west due to the online community. And none of them are household names. The only real household name anime are Gundam, Dragonball, Naruto, etc.
Index's more popular than Shana?

Guess it shows what I know I thought Index had just as many fans as it has haters, but Shana was generally more well liked or favored... That's My impression from everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Also, the reason why Index hasn't been licensed is because publishers learned light novels are not a popular medium in the west.
I've always thought that was unusual, my impression was that a (light) novel, one with words and literature, would be more easily accepted than a manga...

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-01-23 at 01:32.
Old 2011-01-23, 04:03   Link #98
outerelf

Quote:
Index's more popular than Shana?

Guess it shows what I know I thought Index had just as many fans as it has haters, but Shana was generally more well liked or favored... That's My impression from everything.
The problem with a generalization like that, is that if you look at a work, the more popular it is, the more vocal the haters. Take a look at Twilight. It's a best-seller, but all people do is complain about sparkly vampires and idiot heroines.

Quote:
I've always thought that was unusual, my impression was that a (light) novel, one with words and literature, would be more easily accepted than a manga...
...People don't like to read, and seeing the movements, and faces of a person talking generally ingrains it on a persons mind more. Moreover, when you translate from Japanese to English, some- or many- of the jokes are lost. Just look at Gintama. It's funny, but it's infinitely funnier if you can read Japanese.

Moreover, A light Novel, can only sell for about $5 in the West at most. It's too thin to be considered an 'adult' book. However, there isn't enough people who are of the right age group who would be seen with a LN because it looks like a kids chapter book. Moreover, once upon a time I did the math- a LN translator would make anywhere to around 4,000-5000 dollars for every translated novel. That would mean you need to sell quite a few LN's for the money cost to be efficient. However, it looks like a kids chapter book, thus people who might read it avoid it, and it's only the fans that buy it. But the publishers need some way of creating that fanbase. Thus it goes full circle.

Plus- many Japanese publishers couldn't care less about what happens outside of their own country, just so long as they sell well in their own.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 09:15   Link #99
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
The problem with a generalization like that, is that if you look at a work, the more popular it is, the more vocal the haters. Take a look at Twilight. It's a best-seller, but all people do is complain about sparkly vampires and idiot heroines.
Not exactly , reason why everyone hates it is because its too girly. If its manly people will love it. Compare Jutsin Bieber with Eminem. Justin beiber has a girly voice and lovey dovey love songs while Eminem talks about life and his hardships.
Old 2011-02-01, 07:22   Link #100
darktruth

Finally received vol 1 LE BD of season 2 today. Have yet to watch the pleasure disc that contains the new index-tan though.

Spoiler for Index II vol 1 LE BD goodies:
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote