AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-25, 01:27   Link #261
cyth
Banned

I'm kind of wondering what DUCK's organization's goals are supposed to be. I mean, they sent Akira (and cute Tapioca <3) to investigate the aliens, but his bosses opt to not believe anything he says, as if they don't believe in their own agenda. This is just plain weird.

I really liked the scene between Natsuki and his dad. It parallels what's happening in Japan, where the youth is expected to pick up the slack of senior generations. But what the youth wants is to live their own future and not be tied down to the past, such as Natsuki leaving Enoshima. But even Natsuki has very complex feelings about it, because Enoshima is still his home.
Anyway, a similar underlying theme was running throughout Nakamura's C - The Money of Soul and Possibility (which is something you guys should definitely check out if you haven't already!). Well, maybe it's a coincidence, but I really liked that scene because of that correlation.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 05:36   Link #262
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am loving the Natsuki/Yuki pair and I have a feeling Akira & Haru will become close friends before the end. I know Akira mistrusts Haru now, but you just wait (they were already a bit of a team when they saved Sakura)
Going by the end of the episode, it appears they've already started to bond. I think Akira realized Haru was not the bad alien in this story when he saw him saving Sakura (he noticed he was genuinely affected by what happened at Akemi too).

I felt really bad for Sakura. All she wanted was for her family to get along on her brother's birthday, and Natsuki couldn't even grant her that. I understand his position, but he really acted like a dick to her here. Hopefully, he'll get over his issues soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I really liked the scene between Natsuki and his dad. It parallels what's happening in Japan, where the youth is expected to pick up the slack of senior generations. But what the youth wants is to live their own future and not be tied down to the past, such as Natsuki leaving Enoshima. But even Natsuki has very complex feelings about it, because Enoshima is still his home.
Anyway, a similar underlying theme was running throughout Nakamura's C - The Money of Soul and Possibility (which is something you guys should definitely check out if you haven't already!). Well, maybe it's a coincidence, but I really liked that scene because of that correlation.
There is that as well, but I was under the impression this is only a "minor" issue and what initially caused the rift between father and son is the fact his father is dating another woman. Natsuki hasn't gotten over his mother's death yet.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:50   Link #263
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
!! Natsuki, you jerk. No matter what, you don't hit a little girl!
Is this a Japanese cultural thing, or just this show specifically, where an adult male can slap a young girl (his own sister, even) with all his might and not suffer any consequences by the other adults that witnessed the event? I just don't get it. If I were Natsuki's father, he certainly wouldn't have been able to simply walk away from the situation. At least not until he regained consciousness.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 09:50   Link #264
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So the disaster the 4 are going to save the world from is from non stop enoshima dancing?

Dangit, Erika, where are thou?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 10:09   Link #265
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I loved the way Akira dressed up in a raincoat and had an umbrella at hand as insurance against Haru!
'
Natsuki...I don't blame him for being sour on the boat. It was his birthday, and he didn't get to decide for himself what he wanted to do. Other people went ahead with a plan he didn't want in the first place, and then they expected him to be happy about it. But slapping Sakura was terrible, and there's no way he should have been able to get away with it. Yuki's the only one who said anything about it to him. It should have been his dad.

I really liked Haru's character development in this ep. It was fun seeing something other than super-cheerfullness from him.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 10:32   Link #266
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
So the disaster the 4 are going to save the world from is from non stop enoshima dancing?
Man, you have no idea how much chills that thought just gave me. Now I'm really interested in when the concept for this show was conceived. Because if there's a pending disaster involving the fishing industry, that also parallels the recent Touhouku earthquake and tsunami disaster.

I'm seriously in anticipation of something great from this show now.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 11:02   Link #267
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Wow, who would have expected Tsuritama to depict such raw emotions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
There is that as well, but I was under the impression this is only a "minor" issue and what initially caused the rift between father and son is the fact his father is dating another woman. Natsuki hasn't gotten over his mother's death yet.
I think so, too. Natsuki is angry with his father for not making a bigger deal of his mother's death and dating. I doubt the two of them have had much bonding over her death. As for his father's dating, I recall hearing that it's been a year and a half since she died, so I think it's Natsuki with the bigger problem.
Spoiler for store:

Spoiler for other boat:

Spoiler for families:

So, is there a real Enoshima dance? If not, will it become the next otaku tourist trend? A combined fishing and dancing holiday with a side tour of the Samuel Cocking Garden where Keito works.

Keito

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Well this is always fun, comparison shots with the real Enoshima.
At the time I neglected to mention Showa Monogatari for those of you who like these types of comparisons. The show is set in 1964, and the OP is full of then-and-now photographs of places depicted in the anime. There's also a "neighborhood tour" segment at the end of every episode that compares the anime version to places in Japan today.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-25 at 11:30.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 12:58   Link #268
gianna
gigi

One thing I love about this series is how supportive the characters are of each other (especially Ayumi! This guy has to get best end with Misaki!)
They all know Natsuki and his father have a bad relationship but try to get them to spend time together -- which kind of works until the inevitable explosion of everything Natsuki has wanted to say to him

And here we see that dad has made it worse with how he's been handling some things

I see a lot of people upset about the slap but if you keep in mind that Natsuki himself just received a slap from the only family he (feels) he has and whom he has been caring for and taken a role in raising Sakura -- then it doesn't seem so extreme

Akira has to change at some point! Whether he stands aside on an order from DUCK and or actually lends them a hand I don't know but it will happen! And another unknown is Tapioca
What could or even will she do? I'm thinking we could see something as wild as a transformation into another form like Coco

I'm still picturing some huge scene with DUCK, triangles, mind controlled dancing fishermen, aliens, dragon, princess, shrine girls (i know you erika fans want it) and old man (how much does he know), and of course the fishing bros battling together (that includes Akira)

Kate having a relation to or at least knowledge of the princess would explain a lot (why they've moved - welcomed in Haru without a question - being watched by DUCK)

A little long wind there but I can't help but expect a great finish to this series
It quickly became a favorite for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So, is there a real Enoshima dance? If not, will it become the next otaku tourist trend? A combined fishing and dancing holiday with a side tour of the Samuel Cocking Garden where Keito works.
Funny you should say that
I came across a blog of some people going there and doing the dance at the shrine and the enoshima don move on the beach lol
Maybe it's gotten some people interested in fishing too

And back to fishing -- how about Natsuki showing off that nice side casting! Takes a lot of skill

Maybe in the end we will see him go on to become some sort of champion or at least fish more how he really wants
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 13:07   Link #269
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna View Post
I see a lot of people upset about the slap but if you keep in mind that Natsuki himself just received a slap from the only family he (feels) he has and whom he has been caring for and taken a role in raising Sakura -- then it doesn't seem so extreme
I don't think I'd want to be your little sister. Not extreme to haul off and slap your younger sister with all your might, channeling all your anger and rage you feel towards your father and concentrating it in that one blow? I just don't understand how you can justify it.
Old 2012-05-25, 13:08   Link #270
ookamigirl

Yui getting some nice fishing gear.
It wasn't cheap either..
Even Yamada got into fishing.
Guess it's pretty contagious since everyone got hooked so easily.
Looks like Haru was feeling a bit guilty about what happened last time.
Group fishing trip was nice ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 13:25   Link #271
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Is this a Japanese cultural thing, or just this show specifically, where an adult male can slap a young girl (his own sister, even) with all his might and not suffer any consequences by the other adults that witnessed the event? I just don't get it. If I were Natsuki's father, he certainly wouldn't have been able to simply walk away from the situation. At least not until he regained consciousness.
So you're response for Natsuki slapping Sakura once and then storming off would be to beat him unconcious? And you don't see the double standard there?

Natsuki isn't an adult male. He's a teenage boy who smacked his sister when she was mouthing off about things she didn't understand. Violence between siblings happens, and though its not something I would condone, its more acceptable than if he was unrelated to her.

Basically, he shouldn't have hit her, but I can totally understand why he did.

How many years apart are Natsuki and Sakura anyway? 4, 5?

Well, apart from hitting her, I'm firmly on Natsuki's side on this one. He's clearly been very upset for quite awhile; about his mothers death, his father dating a new woman, being torn up between his inheriting his family business and following his own dream. And now Sakura's laying the blame on him for her losing a wristband because his feelings finally burst out.

This was a long time coming. Its just unfortunate for Sakura that it had to happen then.
Old 2012-05-25, 13:26   Link #272
Kirarakim

Quote:
I don't think I'd want to be your little sister. Not extreme to haul off and slap your younger sister with all your might, channeling all your anger and rage you feel towards your father and concentrating it in that one blow? I just don't understand how you can justify it.
I am not justifying it but it was obviously a "heat of the moment" thing. I don't think Natsuki normally goes around abusing his little sister but he reacted out of anger. He was wrong but I don't think we should crucify him over it. The important thing will be how he handles the mistake from here on out.

We saw Yuki develop positively but it is obvious Natsuki needs some development too. I am sure he will be sorry he hurt his sister (both emotionally & physically) he was just too angry & upset at the moment to realize he was wrong. Sometimes we need to cool our heads before things hit us.

You can already see that it took Natsuki a moment to process his sister was missing when his father said she was not with him. That is because Natsuki couldn't think of anything but his anger. However when it hit him he showed concern for his little sister (who he obviously loves very much)
Old 2012-05-25, 13:33   Link #273
gianna
gigi

Quote:
And that's fair to say and I understand why you think that
I just got a different impression from that scene
I think it was the break in tension
Safely back on the boat Natsuki is relieved and everything would have been dropped except she yells at him for it
He clearly feels bad and tries to calm her down but she keeps going and hurts him
Yes it was related to their father but it came from his little sister the one person he never wants to be seen in a bad light by

I'm guess I'm trying to say that though yes it was wrong I understand why he did it
Does that make sense?

I'm going on too much here

Last edited by gianna; 2012-05-25 at 13:48.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 14:24   Link #274
kuromitsu

Eh, while I understand why Natsuki was super pissed off, it was a really dick move to hit a little girl (especially his own sister). Of course little kids can be annoying and I see how Natsuki just snapped and happened to lash out at poor Sakura, but still, he's 17(? I think) and she's in elementary school. Bad Natsuki, bad.

But I also understand why nobody did anything about it... It wouldn't have done any good. Natsuki had already brushed off Yuki and stomped away, nothing that his father or anyone could've done would have had any effect on him, it would have just made everything even worse given the tensions running so high. (Maybe Ayumi could've tried talking to Natsuki, I think he'd listen to Ayumi more than to his father... but I guess Ayumi didn't want to meddle in what is ultimately another family's private business.) Given how much Natsuki loves Sakura, I think it's safe to assume that he hates himself for what he'd done, and blames himself for her disappearence. I suppose he and his dad are going to have a talk sooner or later, but now it wasn't the time or the place. Even Haru, KY that he is, understood that.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 14:29   Link #275
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am not justifying it but it was obviously a "heat of the moment" thing. I don't think Natsuki normally goes around abusing his little sister but he reacted out of anger. He was wrong but I don't think we should crucify him over it. The important thing will be how he handles the mistake from here on out.
[I see we've pretty much dispensed with spoiler tags in this thread. I thought the whole confrontation on the boat and the slap deserved to be marked as a spoiler.]

I think it could haunt him for quite some time, and I doubt that Sakura will ever forget this event. Even after she forgives him, the memory will still linger and color her feelings for her brother. In the early episodes she seemed the typical imouto who loved and admired Natsuki. I doubt she'll have the same unwavering devotion to him after the confrontation on the boat. I hope they don't take the easy way out here with a lot of mutual apologies, and everyone moves on unaffected. Given how unexpectedly powerfully this scene played out, I suspect it won't just be swept under the rug, but they do have only three (!) more episodes to go.

I wonder if the two of them ever spent any time together mourning their mother's loss?

Oh, and for a guy who wasn't going to teach Yuki anything, Natsuki sure taught him (and me) a lot about fishing strategy.

I went back to look at that article with all the Enoshima photos that wandering-dreamer posted and pushed it through Google translate. I was puzzled by all the references to "snow" in the photo captions when there clearly wasn't any snow in the pictures. It suddenly dawned on me that these were references to Yuki, and that the references to "spring" were about Haru! One image from the show depicts Yuki with a caption about "snow" on the train platform.
Old 2012-05-25, 14:43   Link #276
LKK

Quote:
[I see we've pretty much dispensed with spoiler tags in this thread. I thought the whole confrontation on the boat and the slap deserved to be marked as a spoiler.]
Not according to the forum's spoiler policy. Once an episode has been subbed, anything that happened in the episode is fair game to talk about in open text. At least that's how I interpret the implication of the policy regarding raw versus subbed episodes.

Quote:
Note regarding unsubbed "raw" anime episodes:
Because our forum is targeted primarily at fansub viewers, it is inconsiderate to openly discuss or post impressions of an episode before the fansubs are released, except in threads discussing that specific episode. So, when multiple raw and fansubbed episodes are being discussed in the same thread, please keep all discussion of unsubbed episodes behind clearly-marked spoiler tags. Discussing unsubbed anime is not a spoiler according to this policy, but please be considerate.
(source)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 14:51   Link #277
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
So you're response for Natsuki slapping Sakura once and then storming off would be to beat him unconcious? And you don't see the double standard there?
Not beat him unconscious; one punch would've laid him out. No double standard, whatsoever. Parent disciplining a violent, male, teenage son. Even if I was his friend and had been there, I probably would've whacked him one. If he's willing to treat someone younger and weaker than himself in such a fashion (girl or boy), he should be prepared to be treated in the same manner by someone older and stronger.

Anyway, I come from an era when boys were taught that hitting girls was simply wrong. I guess it's just different these days when people feel Natsuki angrily slapping Sakura is acceptable and justifiable behaviour.

Frankly, I doubt it's the first time he's slapped her like that. It looks more like it's his normal response when he doesn't like her attitude. Particularly since he's shown absolutely no remorse. Like Sakura said, Natsuki really is a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Natsuki isn't an adult male. He's a teenage boy who smacked his sister when she was mouthing off about things she didn't understand. Violence between siblings happens, and though its not something I would condone, its more acceptable than if he was unrelated to her.
You really consider that "mouthing off?" What did she not understand? It was his fault. He was being an angry jerk. He wasn't smiling. He chooses not to get along with his dad. Would you think it okay for him to slap her like that if she wasn't "mouthing off?" And how would it be "more acceptable" if they're related? Personally, I don't think it would have been acceptable if she wasn't related, either. I would think it would be equally unacceptable behaviour.

Quote:
I think it could haunt him for quite some time, and I doubt that Sakura will ever forget this event. Even after she forgives him, the memory will still linger and color her feelings for her brother. In the early episodes she seemed the typical imouto who loved and admired Natsuki. I doubt she'll have the same unwavering devotion to him after the confrontation on the boat. I hope they don't take the easy way out here with a lot of mutual apologies, and everyone moves on unaffected. Given how unexpectedly powerfully this scene played out, I suspect it won't just be swept under the rug, but they do have only three (!) more episodes to go.
I gotta agree with this, particularly the long-term effect it will have on their relationship, even if she forgive him, which I hope they don't just gloss over.

On a different note, I found it very amusing that Natsuki called his dad "cold" during their "discussion" when, in reality, during the whole of this anime up to this point, it has been Natsuki himself that has been giving his father the cold shoulder.
Old 2012-05-25, 15:02   Link #278
kuromitsu

Quote:
I doubt she'll have the same unwavering devotion to him after the confrontation on the boat. I hope they don't take the easy way out here with a lot of mutual apologies, and everyone moves on unaffected.
Well, I'm sure Sakura will eventually forgive him, and I don't think they'll make this into a huge deal (the preview is mostly about Natsuki and Yuki), but I think Sakura will draw the conclusion that despite what she used to think, Natsuki is not perfect. And maybe Natsuki will be more open with her in the future.

Quote:
Ibut they do have only three (!) more episodes to go.
WHAT??? It's only 10 episodes?? I thought it would be 12 or at least 11... Nooooooooooo ;___; Damn you, Noitamina! Damn you!

A while ago I listened to an interview with one of the producers, Minami Masae, and she mentioned that they'd been working on this project for... four years or so? (don't quite remember, but it was a long time) And it's over in only 10 weeks... uuu...

Quote:
II wonder if the two of them ever spent any time together mourning their mother's loss?
I'm sure there was a lot of comforting going on (it may be one of the reasons why Sakura is so attached to Natsuki), but it's been 2 years since she died. I don't know how old Sakura is, but since she's in elementary school she was probably around 10-11... so I suppose it's a bit easier for her to move on (in her own way) and accept her father moving on, too, than for Natsuki.

By the way, am I the only one who wondered what Akira was doing at Yuki's place when Misaki(?) called to ask Yuki about Sakura?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 15:21   Link #279
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Not according to the forum's spoiler policy.
I stand corrected. Thank you, LKK.

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

As always I adhere to the rule of not looking into a show's thread after an episode appears unless I've watched it already.

Quote:
WHAT??? It's only 10 episodes?? I thought it would be 12 or at least 11... Nooooooooooo ;___; Damn you, Noitamina! Damn you!
I can't subtract today either. There are four more episodes left for a total of eleven, the current norm for noitaminA.

Quote:
By the way, am I the only one who wondered what Akira was doing at Yuki's place when Misaki(?) called to ask Yuki about Sakura?
No, I wondered about that, too. They seemed awfully chummy all of a sudden, but there's definitely an Akira and Haru vibe going on here. I think Akira joined them on the boat in the last episode because he likes being with Haru; he just had a hard time admitting it to himself. Now after the scene where Haru protects Sakura, he and Akira seem have to become more attached to each other. I wonder if Tapioca or Coco will become jealous? Both of them seem like they could be formidable opponents.

What you say about Sakura's age makes a lot of sense, too, kuromitsu. It would be easier for her to move on than Natsuki.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-25 at 15:42.
Old 2012-05-25, 15:36   Link #280
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
No, I wondered about that, too. They seemed awfully chummy all of a sudden, but there's definitely an Akira and Haru vibe going on here. I think Akira joined them on the boat in the last episode because he likes being with Haru; he just had a hard time admitting it to himself. Now after the scene where Haru protects Sakura, he and Akira seem have to become more attached to each other. I wonder if Tapioca or Coco will become jealous? Both of them seem like they could be formidable opponents.
^I think Tapioca likes Haru. I don't speak Duck, but judging by Akira's reaction, I'm pretty sure Tapioca defended Haru when Akira claimed he was trying to fool them.

As for Coco, I believe she would be more distrustful than jealous. I still wonder why Haru was initially so scared of Akira. Did they have a previous run-in or could he simply sense his hostility towards him?

Tags
fishing, friendship, noitamina