Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-09, 23:26   Link #1
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Need some kick-ass guys

So this is probably going to sound strange coming from a guy, but my recent anime watching has been pretty much consumed by harems... and while I have a soft spot for harems, they have one factor that generally makes me bash my head: harem leads tend to be pathetic, and if action is part of the anime, it's usually the girls who are kicking ass. Not to sound sexist or anything here but... I need some recent animes (like within the last two years) where we have a male protagonist who can actually kick ass. While some of the harems I've watched have a guy who can hold his own at some point (Kore wa Zombie, Daimou, I.S., and bits of Freezing and Omamori Himari), I'm looking for animes where the guy is pretty much badass and not a wuss for the majority of the show, especially at the end (though if he turns badass at the end of the show, and I mean before the last couple episodes, that'll work too). Please also note that I'm not even looking for harems in particular; just a show where the male protagonist can kick ass.

... and if possible, I'd prefer that the shows not have a Bad End, but I might not be able to win on that one...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2011-10-09, 23:37   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Kick ass in an action flick or pretty much an ass kicker in whatever it is he specializes in (not necessarily action)?
Old 2011-10-09, 23:41   Link #3
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

The latter option... basically, I'm looking for shows which have a guy that doesn't fall into the "pathetic male lead" category; should he encounter an enemy for whichever reason, he doesn't have o rely on a girl to come and save his ass (again, I'm not trying to sound sexist here, despite what it might sound like) (which means I need to rip myself away from harems for a while, probably)

Old 2011-10-09, 23:55   Link #4
Echoes

If that's the only prerequisite, then there's tons of shows to pick from. Maybe narrow it down a little, for instance, by genre or themes?

Darker than Black has a fantastic lead. Clannad and Higashi no Eden also have very impressive male leads. Kaze no Stigma has a strong male lead too, sort of arrogant as well though.

These are just some random shows that fit the bill that spring to mind, you might've seen them all, as they're pretty popular.
Old 2011-10-10, 00:02   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
(which means I need to rip myself away from harems for a while, probably)
Yes, please do that . Watching too much harems is bad for your health. It's like eating too much hamburgers.

It'll be much easier if you have a list of anime that you've watched.

Ok, I'll add some adventure series with beautiful women (as you seem to like it ). The Tales series: Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, etc. Also Macross Frontier if you haven't seen it yet.
Old 2011-10-10, 00:05   Link #6
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Let's see just how much more specific I can make this... for one, I want it to be a "recent" anime- i.e., probably no older than 2010, since I think DtB came out in either 08 or 09 (and I have seen it... everything but Clannad I've seen). And I'd prefer it to be more action-orientated, if possible

Actually, let me try and give a list (which be warned, is going to be HUGE) of stuff I've seen and liked:
Kaze no Stigma
Heroic Age
Infinite Stratos
Bakemonogatari
Darker than Black (First season; seen second, but second was meh)
Sengoku Basara
Soul Eater
Tears to Tiara
To Aru
11eyes (well, at least the guy could kick ass, even if the show itself was a bit of a failure)
Sacred Blacksmith (same as 11eyes)
Fairy Tail
Daimou
IS
Kore Wa zombie desu ka
Beezlebub
Tales of the Abyss (which also has a slightly meh ending)
Macross F
Gundam 00

also, I have a ton of stuff that's on my to-watch list... I guess I'm using this topic as a way to filter through that list

Old 2011-10-10, 00:48   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ok, then. Have you seen Needless? It sure have one kick-ass main-guy although the ending is what you called 'meh'. In addition, there's the newest Trigun anime called Trigun: Badland Rumble or so (I kinda forgot the sub-title). Also, I didn't see Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in your watched list.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:05   Link #8
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

There aren't really that many kick-ass male protagonists within the last two years, as it has become increasingly popular to portray men as weak in anime, so I'm going to ignore that part of your request for suggestions.

1) Yugo the Negotiator. He uses words. He's a negotiator. Yet, he's so badass, you'll still feel like you've just watched an action flick/drama.

2) Cowboy Bebop. I used to think everyone had seen Bebop, but it's old enough now that it's amazing how many newer anime fans have not. Spike pretty much defines laid-back kick-ass.

3) In a similar vein to Bebop: Outlaw Star. Gene Starwind spends 26 episodes kicking the ass of pirates, outlaws, assassins, you get the idea.

4) L/R. Or, aka Licensed by Royalty. Jack and Rowe are basically James Bond types who's job is to protect the royal family of a fictional country called Ishtar.

5) Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. Kenshin is a bad-ass assassin in the Japanese Revolution. Much of the humor was removed, to keep the story dark.

6) Katanagatari. Was actually done within the last two years. Very wordy, but Shichika is a bad-ass who defeats some of the best warriors of the time using his fists and body. He is subservient to a woman throughout the series though, so may not really fill your hunger for male action empowerment.

7) Cat Shit One. Don't let the name or cute bunnies fool you. These anamorphic special forces soldiers kick ass. Also, was released within the last two years.

8) Blade of the Immortal. Manji is cursed with immortality until he kills 1000 immoral men. He wants to die. Connect the dots. He's also bad-ass.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:57   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The redoubtable, reliable, responsible and supremely GAR Kitamura Kou in Cross Game. He kicks ass in all the ways that count.
Old 2011-10-10, 05:34   Link #10
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The redoubtable, reliable, responsible and supremely GAR Kitamura Kou in Cross Game. He kicks ass in all the ways that count.
Yes indeed. You must have more Cross Game.
Old 2011-10-10, 08:37   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hakuouki Shinsengum Kitan is a "reverse harem" where the female lead joins the Shinsengumi, a kick-ass bunch if ever there was one.

Another historical epic, Hyouge Mono, includes all the major figures from the Sengoku period. Be warned that its subs are coming out slowly, and some episodes have more talking and plotting than action. Still all the guys are "kick-ass," even the protagonist who is a diplomat and esthete.
Old 2011-10-10, 18:06   Link #12
Elegance

How about a harem with a kick ass guy? Trust me Tenchi turns badass when he needs too ^.^

Isekai No Seikishi Monogatari
Old 2011-10-10, 20:59   Link #13
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Might want to try Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom. The guy starts off as a nobody, but quickly becomes a powerful assassin(he gets his skills in like 2 eps).

Casshern SINS would definitely fit the criteria. The main male char(well, robot) can kick ass for sure, but he does have some identity issues which lowers his badassness.
Old 2011-10-10, 21:13   Link #14
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Ah yes... Tenchi... the most powerful harem pretty much ever in anime. Also, add Needless and Casshern SINS to the list of stuff I've watched... although Casshern was pretty good, but not the greatest

Cross Game... I don't usually watch sports, but I'm guessing its probably something I'll like. Otherwise, thanks for the suggestions (especially creb)

Old 2011-10-10, 21:51   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The latter option... basically, I'm looking for shows which have a guy that doesn't fall into the "pathetic male lead" category; should he encounter an enemy for whichever reason, he doesn't have o rely on a girl to come and save his ass (again, I'm not trying to sound sexist here, despite what it might sound like) (which means I need to rip myself away from harems for a while, probably)
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
There aren't really that many kick-ass male protagonists within the last two years, as it has become increasingly popular to portray men as weak in anime, so I'm going to ignore that part of your request for suggestions.

Quite the opposite actually; it's getting harder to find Keitarou(s) and Shinji(s) these days. Every male protagonists from at least three years have 2 or 3 GAR moments minimum.

Then again, Mirai Nikki just came out so you might want to avoid that then...

Quote:

Actually, let me try and give a list (which be warned, is going to be HUGE) of stuff I've seen and liked:
Kaze no Stigma
Heroic Age
Infinite Stratos
Bakemonogatari
Darker than Black (First season; seen second, but second was meh)
Sengoku Basara
Soul Eater
Tears to Tiara
To Aru
11eyes (well, at least the guy could kick ass, even if the show itself was a bit of a failure)
Sacred Blacksmith (same as 11eyes)
Fairy Tail
Daimou
IS
Kore Wa zombie desu ka
Beezlebub
Tales of the Abyss (which also has a slightly meh ending)
Macross F
Gundam 00
I see... It's nothing unreasonable and it doesn't look like you're looking for superman, the easiest and most popular that comes to mind is Ao no Exorcist which just ended last month.
Old 2011-10-10, 22:17   Link #16
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Ao no Exorcist is on my list of to-watch... though I've heard a couple people say that the first episode is rather hard to get through

and no, I don't need anything superman... just a guy who can hold his own in a fight, without his ass needing to be saved. Then again, it seems to me that there's tons of moe these days versus the old GAR, which seems to be lacking recently... it's out there, but there's far less of it these days compared compared to the classics (which I personally blame K-On for, but that's just me...), and I have friends who have the older stuff which I highly enjoy

Just to name some older stuff:
RahXephon
S-CRY-Ed
Chrno Crusade (okay, the ending wasn't the best in the world...)
Witch Hunter Robin
Hellsing
Trinity Blood
Trigun
Rurouni Kenshin
Shana
Orphen
Samurai Champloo
Black Blood Brothers
Tower of Druaga
FMP!
Zero no Tsukaima

... and that's just the stuff I highly liked

Old 2011-10-10, 22:24   Link #17
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

...If you're looking for 'old GAR' shouldn't you be focusing on shounen manga adaptations instead of the more otaku-ish Animes? You know, in shows where there are more guys than girls?
Old 2011-10-10, 22:27   Link #18
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

... you just made me realize that was the one thing I've been overlooking this whole time: so much these days is catered to the "stereotypical" otaku (i.e., collects cute figurines and doesn't leave their room often, sorts like in NHK)... but I guess I should keep an eye out for the adaptations (even if a good majority of them butcher their original source)

Old 2011-10-11, 03:01   Link #19
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Unfortunately this is correct. I myself am trying to find shows like that which is why I've been following this suggestions thread closely but unfortunately most of the stuff that's been suggested I've already seen.

It's true that most recent anime tends to portray men as weak and even if they are not usually it's the females who are more competent, likable and "carry the show" so to say. IF you are looking for strong male character you should be looking at "old-school" anime like Hokuto no Ken, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, JoJo's Bizarre adventure etc. There is some more recent stuff such as Gurren Lagann and Sengoku Basara but those are rare and you've seen them.

Regarding ongoing shounen shows (One Piece, Gintama, Bleach, etc.) they all fit your requirement but there is a certain unfortunate tradeoff between strong male characters and boring, predictable story with pacing issues and plagued by fillers.

Looking at the anime that's come since 2010 as you've put it, I can try to make a list of the ones that have strong male characters. I'm sorry but I have not seen everything, so I will probably miss a lot.

Dantalian no Shoka - main guy is pretty cool (voiced by Ono Daisuke, which might be further plus for some), but unfortunately he falls victim to his tsundere companion's "abuse" and also in general the anime is all over the place story-wise.
NO.6 - One of the two male leads is very strong and cool...BUT...there is one big but for this show, which I'm sure you'll notice once you watch the first episode. It might not be a problem for you, but it was for me.
Usagi Drop - Main character is not an "ass-kicker" but he is a pretty reliable and likable protagonist. The show is a slice-of-life, though, so it wasn't very exciting.
Sacred Seven - Main guy is pretty strong, but in general the show was terrible.
TIGER & BUNNY - One of the few animes that features both competent males and females coupled with a good story to boot. I recommend this one strongly.
Kaiji - Main guy seems like a loser but trust me, he is not. The show has two seasons. It does have its pacing issues though, but since it's already completed it's not such a big deal.
Steins;Gate - If you have not seen this, WATCH IT NOW. Not only does it have a great suspenseful story and enjoyable comedy but it has one of the best male protagonists ever paired with a girl who is just as good.
Deadman Wonderland - Main guy is a wimp. However, there is one supporting character who kicks all sorts of ass. He has little screen time, however, and in general the show is a failed manga adaptation.
Ao no Exorcist - Has several competent male characters but again, as an adaptation of an incomplete manga it was the usual issues of fillers (though not as much here) and an anime-original ending which wasn't very good.
LEVEL E - Main character is an idiot but a very likable and funny idiot. This is one of the more unique recent shows, which was really good.
Kuroshitsuji - I haven't finished the series (both seasons) but one of the main character is a really badass butler. He's actually so strong that it was getting annoying.
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes - Again, haven't seen the whole thing. Main guy is pretty strong, but unfortunately he's constantly abused by the tsundere female lead, which pretty much made me drop it. If you can handle that though, it will be a good choice for you.
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD - Main guy may seem timid at first but he's actually pretty cool. Same for the supporting male character.
GIANT KILLING - Well, being a football anime, girls are very few, so most of the characters are guys and they all have good qualities. It's actually a very exciting sports anime.
Yojou-han Shinwa Taikei - Main character seems wimpy but he is incredibly well developed throughout the course of the show and is very easy to like and relate to. Great anime in general as well!
Durarara - Has many strong male characters some of which you did not even expect to be that strong or cool.
Katanagatari - Main guy is pretty strong, no doubt about that, but he's pretty dependent on a woman and often times she has to bail him out (although not in the traditional sense, since she is not a fighter).

Those are all that I can think of. It might seem like a long list but for a year and a half (about 150 shows) only 15 or so of them have strong male characters - it's pretty sad I know I have not seen everything, but there are not many things I have missed.

I apologize if this post seemed more like a rant but as I've said initially, I've grown tired of seeing weak male characters as well as you, so it's a really big issue for me. Hopefully you can find something to watch from the shows I suggested.
Old 2011-10-11, 04:30   Link #20
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Gundam Seed... This show has a little bit of everything you are looking for.. If you have not seen it. It would be a great show to watch.. Its kind of long because of its sequels but if you like the show you wont mind watch them..

Vampire Knight.. I know what you are thinking no way... But if you have not seen it i'm sure you will like it.. The main chars are not weaklings and even when they are outmatched they never let you know it... well...

Dance in the Vampire Bund.. This show is graphic... but you might like it because the action is good and the main char is not a weakling...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Closed Thread