AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 05:54   Link #581
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
No matter how good one character is, eventually even Yune would become boring if you don't switch things around once in awhile especially with such a simple story,
You have a point there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
and I certainly don't see the side characters as 'mediocre', they played their individual roles pretty well.
I was referring to the multitude of main characters from ARIA - Akari, Alice, Alicia, Akari, Aria Shachou - who, while entertaining and likable, IMO individually couldn't hold a candle to Yune. Not the ones in Ikoku, they're all doing a good job as side characters
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 06:07   Link #582
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post
I was referring to the multitude of main characters from ARIA - Akari, Alice, Alicia, Akari, Aria Shachou - who, while entertaining and likable, IMO individually couldn't hold a candle to Yune. Not the ones in Ikoku, they're all doing a good job as side characters
My apologies then

Since I've never watched ARIA, I'll let someone else debate you on that if they so wish to
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 06:37   Link #583
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

yeah! so there's really Camille X Claude pairing in this anime....

I don't really enjoy the story but very curious about Claude's past which will be explained next week
I just feel I can guess how this anime will end after watching this episode
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 08:00   Link #584
DoctorG
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Guardian Enzo
I sort of took Camille's comment to Yune slightly differently. I don't think it was much from the perspective of not trying to live up to Claude's expectations on principle - I took it more as her telling Yune that Claude wasn't the sort of guy who would be impressed by that kind of thing, so don't bother.
Poor Camille! She'd dressed up nicely with a new hat, and Claude never even noticed! Not surprising she was a bit tetchy. There's an undertone of social criticism in this show which gives it a bit of depth - Camille's sacrifice in giving up her close friendship with Claude clearly hurts - for both of them - as the conversation between them showed. It's what makes Ikoku different from "Aria" shifted to 19th Century Paris - much as I liked Aria, it never questioned the society it was set in, but this series definitely does.

We are very lucky this season to have two first rate slice of life series!
DoctorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 08:32   Link #585
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Holy crap, this episode was just OOZING with UST... and goddam, I've been waiting a long time for this.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 08:33   Link #586
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post
You have a point there...

That's because ARIA never intended to be a character focused series (at least not until the third season). ARIA is a true example of a slice of life series, where the main character is none other than Aqua itself, that is, the setting.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 08:37   Link #587
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

I fell in love with Alice as she told her story that came true.

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 10:49   Link #588
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Somehow the story of Claude and Camille is getting more interesting than Yune's, for the moment. Lets see how the next episode portrays their past and relationship.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 13:49   Link #589
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Definitely makes it easier to figure out Claude's issues with the Blanche family overall. Just how their store is killing the Gallery is good motivation, but since it was the fact that Camille was from that family that pretty much ended things for them. Not too much good has come his way from that family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Holy crap, this episode was just OOZING with UST... and goddam, I've been waiting a long time for this.
This was definitely expected . Finally getting more direct focus on childhood friends in this series .
Old 2011-08-23, 16:20   Link #590
FireChick

The OST comes out tomorrow.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 18:07   Link #591
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
I fell in love with Alice as she told her story that came true.
They still need to go to Japan to complete the story
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 00:18   Link #592
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I like how Camille just seemed to be a background character at first, but then she gradually reveals her importance to the story.

Am I sensing an Alto/Sheryl vibe between her and Claude? They were also both kinda tsundere, which made icebreaking harder.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 00:49   Link #593
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Am I sensing an Alto/Sheryl vibe between her and Claude?
Actually, if I had to put my finger on any one particular couple, it would be Kou/Aoba of Cross Game, as in both there's obvious animosity between the two parties yet they can't totally break what remains of their relationship. But even then it's superficially similar, as I'm sure what drove the wedge between Camille/Claude would be totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
This was definitely expected . Finally getting more direct focus on childhood friends in this series .
Damn right! Who cares about the wee little Japanese girl who's trying to fit in a whole new society while all the while inducing HNNNGGGs and D'AWWS here and there from the audience. All about osananajimi, dammi!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 01:33   Link #594
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Actually, if I had to put my finger on any one particular couple, it would be Kou/Aoba of Cross Game, as in both there's obvious animosity between the two parties yet they can't totally break what remains of their relationship. But even then it's superficially similar, as I'm sure what drove the wedge between Camille/Claude would be totally different.
Hot angry make-out... >.>

*cough*

Quote:
Damn right! Who cares about the wee little Japanese girl who's trying to fit in a whole new society while all the while inducing HNNNGGGs and D'AWWS here and there from the audience. All about osananajimi, dammi!
Well, it's not that I support osananajimi in particular, it just so happens that they're childhood lovers (Oh shut up Claude, the whole of Paris knows already).

But yeah, little Japanese girls are overrated [/joke]
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 16:26   Link #595
FireChick

The OST comes out today!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 16:28   Link #596
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
The OST comes out today!

Am looking forward to it as well!
Old 2011-08-25, 00:46   Link #597
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
....Was actually going to skip this 4.5 episode everyone was talking about, but after reading a blog about it... where are the subs dammit? You know, considering this episode is pretty much made for me, from the looks of it lol. XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Silence on the subbing front for now, though it isn't for lack of raws, dunno maybe it caught them offguard.
A little known subber went and eng subbed ep 4.5 - you can find it in the usual places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
....I'll post the Special ED from 4.5 here once more as the song embodied the spirit of the show :-

This Song, explained in 4.5, was composed by a European in Japanese style and dedicated to his Japanese lover after their forced separation due to racial and cultural difference....But in any case, the Japanese fans absolutely loves this song.
Absolutely my favorite part of the ep ... the VA really did a stupendous job singing it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
海よ 果ては どこどこへ 続いているのアノ国へ
Oh great sea/the end lies/wherever you'll be/You will go forth to that unknown country
波間 浮かぶ 小さい船 ゆらりゆらり流されて
On the waves/you will float/In this little boat/swaying slow swaying slow carried by the waves
海の  向こう 知らぬ国 白波つれて 消えてた
Across the/great sea/is an unknown place/Taken by white-crested waves/You disappear

海よ 果てに 何見える 可愛い君の わろうた頬
Oh great sea/in the end/what I did see/is your charming face/gleaming with joy
山よ 越えて どこどこへ 続いているのアノ国へ
Crossing these/great mountains/takes you anywhere/You'll continue on your quest to that unknown place
春は うすもも 夏は群青 紅色にそまる秋
Springtime is/colored peach/Summer's striking blue/Autumn changes into a redder kind of hue
真っ白の冬 美し山 季節は崖で 変わりゆく
Winter's of the purest white/Mountains of such beauty/Watch the seasons come and go/over the cliffside
山よ そこに 居てお くれ 変わらず君に 見えるように
In this great/mountainside/I shall stay for good/So that I can see you/Someday once again

遥か 遠く この歌よ 響いてゆけ アノ国へ
Far away/far away/this song shall go/hoping that it will reach you/in that unknown place
今も思う 懐かしい 可愛い君の 居た日よ
As I think of you/it brings good memories/When my precious loved one/is still here with me
海を渡り 山を 越えて 聞こえるだろうか 歌声
When you left for the sea/I went to the mountainside/Hoping that you might hear this/song I have for you

天が 星が 歌歌う 心乗せて 輝いて
The heavens/and the stars/sing this song aloud/As they offer their hearts/they begin to shine
遥か 遠く この歌よ 響いてゆけ アノ国へ
Far away/far away/this song shall go/hoping that it will reach you/in that unknown place

My take on the song. It actually beings tears to my eyes every time I hear the song.
Thanks so much for translation this! Rep!

Just so it is clear - the eng sub I mentioned above does not translate any of the lyrics of the songs. They only do the dialogue of the ep. Better than nothing at least.
Old 2011-08-25, 01:17   Link #598
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Episode 4.5 was a good but pretty sad episode now that I've seen the subs. Loved the music included even though I didn't understand it. Thanks for the translation above for the last song. Definitely in line with the episode's tale.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 02:47   Link #599
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

That song is definitely my favorite out of all the songs in the series so far. It's so sweet, sad, and pretty. <3
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 02:57   Link #600
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
That song is definitely my favorite out of all the songs in the series so far. It's so sweet, sad, and pretty. <3
Indeed. I'm surprised Yune was reluctant about singing, she's quite good. Suppose that's the obligatory part of her personality, being modest and all
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, romance, shounen, slice of life