AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-03-18, 07:37   Link #2361
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't know. I never got into MMOs either, but I read Sword Art Online, and it looked rather interesting. (Though I could do without the "being permanently stuck and in real danger of dying" aspect.) It did have an aspect of the "story", maybe not changing, but progressing according to the players' actions, what with every level becoming open as the boss of the previous level was defeated.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-03-18 at 13:21.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:19   Link #2362
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
People who play MMO get jealous of what Skyrim is capable of, and want the same thing transplanted to multiplayer.

What they completely failed to realise, is that Skyrim was good because it wasn't multiplayer. I keep hearing about "wouldn't it be cool if you could quest with a friend"? in game review sites, and it makes me want to punch someone. People who want multiplayer don't want what Skyrim offers. They are not interested in custom story where the universe changes depending on what you do. You can't do it with an MMO because the butterfly effect would drive the whole world into chaos, if each player seriously affect the world around them.

An MMO is one-size-fits-all. A single-player is a personal and custom experience. They are not compatible.
I don't want an MMO.. but I *would* like an in-between concept that appears lost to the ages: a co-op or LAN game version .... Several of my characters are doing the "not a dragonborn" mod, for example. I love questing with my sons and their girlfriends in the older LAN games we have.

I'd like to see a revival of real co-operative LAN games like many RPGs were in the 90s and early 2000s.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-18 at 14:30.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:26   Link #2363
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't want an MMO.. but I *would* like a co-op or LAN game version .... Several of my characters are doing the "not a dragonborn" mod, for example. I love questing with my sons and their girlfriends in the older LAN games we have.

I'd like to see a revival of real co-operative LAN games like many RPGs were in the 90s and early 2000s.
Upcoming :

Diablo III
Operation Raccoon City

Have fun, old man.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:58   Link #2364
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Diablo III: Operation Raccoon City? How does that work?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 14:14   Link #2365
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, I've ruled out Diablo III for a variety of reasons .... I'm more likely to be seeing what develops with Torchlight sequels. We still do the occasional NWN run when we find a new module.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-18 at 14:31.
Old 2012-03-18, 15:14   Link #2366
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
People who play MMO get jealous of what Skyrim is capable of, and want the same thing transplanted to multiplayer.

What they completely failed to realise, is that Skyrim was good because it wasn't multiplayer. I keep hearing about "wouldn't it be cool if you could quest with a friend"? in game review sites, and it makes me want to punch someone. People who want multiplayer don't want what Skyrim offers. They are not interested in custom story where the universe changes depending on what you do. You can't do it with an MMO because the butterfly effect would drive the whole world into chaos, if each player seriously affect the world around them.

An MMO is one-size-fits-all. A single-player is a personal and custom experience. They are not compatible.
It may be possible in a co-op form, where you utilize someones save to play in, or maybe create an entirely new co-op save. but MMO? No. Persistent worlds negate most chances of the singleplayer world-changing experience by design.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 15:27   Link #2367
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

The only MMO i could ever get into (unless TF2 also counts as one), is lineage 2, plus modding is one of TES's good points, SKyrim was a good game to complete once vanilla, but it was also thanks to modding that i played more then once. If it goes MMO i 'm pretty certain i wouldn't lay a finger on it.
Old 2012-03-18, 15:32   Link #2368
Aqua Knight

Why MMO?
Bethesda just look on SWTOR MMO and see the failure. Nothing will ever beat WoW in next 10 years I guess.

PS
Never played MMOs, tried Lineage 2 ( lasted 1 month) and Wow ( also a month). Both were extremely stupid and repetitive.
Old 2012-03-18, 16:42   Link #2369
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

GW2 looks to be a good contender, but then many before did too. It does have the advantage that it always was an MMO, so there are less single-player oriented expectations there.
Old 2012-03-18, 16:43   Link #2370
DuoRanger
Banned

we dont know yet if this romors are true, if it this happen, will be based only on the second era, the main timeline won't be affected

(and im still pissed off with the creation kit)
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:33   Link #2371
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
we dont know yet if this romors are true, if it this happen, will be based only on the second era, the main timeline won't be affected

(and im still pissed off with the creation kit)
whats wrong with the creation kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Why MMO?
Bethesda just look on SWTOR MMO and see the failure. Nothing will ever beat WoW in next 10 years I guess.

PS
Never played MMOs, tried Lineage 2 ( lasted 1 month) and Wow ( also a month). Both were extremely stupid and repetitive.

next 10 years? lol please, WoW's dead THIS year.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:09   Link #2372
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

A phrase I heard often the past six years.

Though it's rather irrelevant at this stage. Rumors are rumors, so far there's no confirmation on a TES MMO, and I'd be surprised if they did so. Combat has never been TES's strongsuit, world building and storytelling is. And while world building is something that exists in MMO's as well, story has almost always taken severe hits.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:19   Link #2373
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
whats wrong with the creation kit?.
Having worked with a lot of software development kits and database interfaces... my take (and I'm not exactly alone on this) is that its a clusterfuck of bad UI seemingly designed by ADDled cats on crack

Yeah, that's a bit extreme but it could have had more of an object driven philosophy. The "visual drag/drop" seems to be really unstable for a lot of users, etc etc.

I use it but I save about every two seconds --- otherwise my most challenging area is in understanding the AI module interactions when designing a character. The tutorials often raise more questions than they illuminate.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-18 at 19:30.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:52   Link #2374
DuoRanger
Banned

well some annoying bugs, some random crashes, thus the annoying error with some nif files and npc's
Old 2012-03-20, 12:50   Link #2375
DuoRanger
Banned

it looks like bethesda is really plannning to upgrade the CK and release 2 more DLC
Old 2012-03-20, 13:20   Link #2376
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's very cool (especially the DLC)... but Steam is telling me there may be an Elder Scrolls Online (MMO)??? Let me be the first to say that really isn't what I asked for or wanted... I just wanted a way for me and friend or two to go romping in Skyrim, LAN style, no mother ship dial in thanks.
Old 2012-03-20, 22:12   Link #2377
DuoRanger
Banned

patch 1.5 released, CK updated too in the same patch, the new kill scenes are freakin good(the german suplex is priceless)
Old 2012-03-21, 12:21   Link #2378
DuoRanger
Banned

Updating: some mods aren't compatible with this patch
Old 2012-03-21, 12:38   Link #2379
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eyup, trying to spend some lunchtime testing the patch for wonkiness.
Old 2012-03-21, 22:42   Link #2380
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't know who to marry for my next character (warrior Nord woman). I am looking at Aela The Huntress, Mjoll The Lioness, and Lydia. I'm tempted to marry all three. XD

I'd like to have a wife that can be a follower.

Who should I marry? Should I marry all three and just switch out who I adventure with from time to time?

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim