AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-12-21, 12:19   Link #61
IronFox
The "Paint Pirate" Yar!

Stupid question here!

Is Negima!? the second season of Mahou Sensei Negima? Or is there someting im not seeing??
IronFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 12:31   Link #62
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFox View Post
Is Negima!? the second season of Mahou Sensei Negima? Or is there someting im not seeing??
the answer was given in the thread links just before your post, by orion ~~

anyway, it's the same franchise, yet, the story/plot is really different
the only common parts between the 2 anime are the characters themselves, the universe and the seyuu.
Old 2007-01-14, 05:20   Link #63
sevenheaven7

is there a lot of roamnce in negima?
sevenheaven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 02:18   Link #64
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

No. Not a lot in either series.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 02:53   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a lot of *friendship* and *comradeship* ... there's a few crushes but "romance"? .... no not really...

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-15 at 03:48.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 02:31   Link #66
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

guys i would like to know does the first series of negima cover the manga at all? If so can you tell about how many volumes the first series covers and what arcs... thank you for the info
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 03:00   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Other than following the first 2 or 3 volumes very vaguely and then swinging way off into left field about halfway through the series.... it doesn't really.

It covers the introduction arc, the Evangeline arc (pretty closely), the library arc (fairly well), and the early Nodoka bits. The Sayo story episode is actually very moving rather than funny haha and counts as possibly the best episode of the series. The overnighter and "Negi kiss quest" ... is sort of there. Asuna's situation with Takamichi is covered . There's some stolen bits from the Kyoto arc (the battle scene used in a different situation) but basically there isn't much connectivity after that ... The climax arc is just ... so different its hard to say much about it in relation to the manga other than it concerns Asuna --- and here's my opinion - even ignoring the manga, the anime ending crashed and burned.

In many ways it was just as "alternative" as the current run of Negima!?
Old 2007-01-18, 05:35   Link #68
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Question: Has Mahora abondoned Negima!?, it's odd I haven't seen a episode senice ep 9, but I really shoulden't be complaining(I'm not doing the hard work but I don't think translation for 1 episode should take 7+ weeks, but something could of happend ins Real Life that hinderd it, anyway I'm not slamming mahora or anyone else it's just well odd.) but it would be nice if other fansubbers would catch us up.
Now for a Negima related question, is the negima manga on US shelves and translated?
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 11:59   Link #69
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes, it is released in US by Del Rey. they are at the 12th volume (13th will be released in february 2007, the 14th in may 2007)
Old 2007-01-18, 14:22   Link #70
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theclow View Post
Question: Has Mahora abondoned Negima!?,
As Mahora has mentioned in their web page, they planned to do a multi-episode release sometime in the near future!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 15:40   Link #71
holyman282

so vexx does negima the first series cover the chao arc? or is that just very recently been released in the manga?

Does the anime also cover the festival....? you guys can put in spoilers if you like so other ppl who haven't watched it won't get it ruined..
Old 2007-01-18, 15:51   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No on the festival... and no to the chao arc (other than borrowing her trinket for another purpose). Though it borrows bits and pieces... once they get past the library arc it diverges so much all you can say is "oh.. they got that 3 seconds from this arc..." or "wtf~? this doesn't happen ANYtime in the manga". It is a roughly parallel universe where different things happen after the initial set up. I don't think its spoilerish at all to say that .... otherwise people may start watching thinking they're going to get an anime adaptation of the manga story.

Some people enjoyed it on its own. If you cut out your memories of the manga and of this new Negima!? then parts of it are pretty enjoyable (though the animation and directing were so bad in the first part the entire production team was replaced after the first 11 eps or so). If you're a fan of the Kyoto arc you may enjoy the battle sequence lifted out of that for what they used it for ... or you may be even more pissed they didn't JUST DO the Kyoto arc (which would have been a great climax). Either way, you'll have a WTF??? moment sometime after ep 19.

Its one of those things that if you're a Negima fan you probably ought to watch even if you find it frustrating in the end just because of the voice acting and the *moments* scattered here and there for the girls. (in some ways this sounds like my opinion of Shaft's PPD ... watch it for the pretty pictures, the random moment of brilliance, and the girls).
Old 2007-01-18, 15:57   Link #73
holyman282

Well that's not good... well i really enjoyed the manga and hoped that while waiting for the new negima that the original would also cover several arcs in the manga but dammit it seems the anime doesn't follow the manga at all....

Well i just hope that the new one does.. although it's looking like it's not going to either...
Old 2007-01-18, 16:28   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

and that is why the manga fans are disappointed in the new series even if they're enjoying the random fun and frolic of a 26 episode "omake theater".
(that would be me... Shinbo's Negima!? is very fun, bits of great animation ... but it looks very unlikely we'll ever get a series that actually follows some condensed version of the manga).

The people enjoying the series the most seem to be the people who really didn't care for the manga, interestingly enough.
Old 2007-01-19, 00:19   Link #75
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The people enjoying the series the most seem to be the people who really didn't care for the manga, interestingly enough.
And/or who don't mind that the anime isn't an animated form of the manga (which it never claimed it would be). I like all three, but for different reasons; they're all trying to accomplish different things. I guess it's all a matter of how high a priority you place on fidelity to the manga in terms of story and style. If that's an important/the most important thing for you, then that could certainly affect your opinion. But there's no reason why you couldn't like both or all three, so long as you can think of each as their own seperate thing, and not find yourself always wishing it were something else.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 00:45   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

true... but holyman was specifically asking whether the first series followed the manga or not and which arcs were included. Since this is important to him, it will affect his opinion of it. The Xebec series did not claim to be different up front. By making it clear up front that he isn't going to get an adaptation of the story but "something completely different" he's less likely to be disappointed (we hope).

Frankly, I'm reasonably enjoying the new series (more than the old one) but I still get the feeling that Shinbo is napping at the helm.
My remark about who is enjoying it comes from the general chatter about it over on the Megatokyo forum where people who sincerely loathe Ken A. and all his works are enjoying Negima!?
Old 2007-01-19, 00:55   Link #77
holyman282

Well seen a few episodes of the old series and i have to say even if it isn't like the manga i still find it quite funny and am really starting to like it!!

Well I guess i put too much expectation for the anime to follow the manga, but now i feel that they are a gem on it's own and really can't wait for the next mahora translation of the new Negima! (damn hilarious)
Old 2007-01-19, 01:18   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, the new series is a win if only because of the two specials and specific moments like, say, Nodoka's pactio moment or Kaede's "stalk the boy" in the tent, or the way they're portraying Konoka (and I love Nodoka's floating book mode)... I'm just enjoying the moments.

The old series had its moments but I'd say watch the whole thing before you decide --- episode 19 was a thorough win for me and there were nice bits scattered around in other episodes.
Old 2007-01-19, 01:19   Link #79
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I personally take the Anime as it is. After the first anime (the one that shall not be spoken of, save maybe episode 19), I didn't even think that another animated season run of Negima will even appear again. Shaft's Negima should be viewed as another take of the story with the same cast I suppose (and I do like it quite a bit).

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 04:44   Link #80
holyman282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, the new series is a win if only because of the two specials and specific moments like, say, Nodoka's pactio moment or Kaede's "stalk the boy" in the tent, or the way they're portraying Konoka (and I love Nodoka's floating book mode)... I'm just enjoying the moments.

The old series had its moments but I'd say watch the whole thing before you decide --- episode 19 was a thorough win for me and there were nice bits scattered around in other episodes.
lol Vexx since hearing you advertise ep 19 with so much vigour i decided to do a negima original marathon.. and got up to ep 19... it was such a touching ep, you have good taste.. i know why you would like it......

Spoiler for ep19:

Oh and to be on topic... what did the principal mean when he said that Sayo was

Spoiler for sayo: