AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 15:50   Link #21
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

To add a little to the news. The great promise thrown to the wind recently is the effort for compatibility with non-standard crap, including stuff that doesn't even work in Firefox. It's a huge step forward since not even Firefox works for the developers, it's success being largely attributed to developers who just worked for it. Oh and it's OSS flag... but the that is fading.

NSW, I don't want be the ney sayer but I'd still rate the latest build as hazardous to the average user.

edit
* Ahh dammit my post made the next page. Gar~ >_<
Old 2008-01-29, 16:05   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
NSW, I don't want be the ney sayer but I'd still rate the latest build as hazardous to the average user.
Would you? What are you having problems with? Certainly most of the previous ones had serious bugs, but I haven't had any problems since I installed this one on Friday. (Aside from that one little bug where dragging a picture still cancels the right-click menu, but I've got a work-around for that.)

BTW, I'm also enjoying ctrl-alt-drag. It's wonderful for panning around those large images. Though there is still the option of using "fit to width," sometimes I just don't want to shrink them.

Quote:
To add a little to the news. The great promise thrown to the wind recently is the effort for compatibility with non-standard crap, including stuff that doesn't even work in Firefox. It's a huge step forward since not even Firefox works for the developers, it's success being largely attributed to developers who just worked for it.
Yeah, that is nice. There's a lot of talk about that for the latest several builds when they weren't talking about nonsense like improved native skinning.

And lets not forget the awesome new developer tools that are being promised "soon." Those certainly deserve a mention. Sorry I can't find a link on that to show people right now.

Here's a nice link I have lying around, on another Kestrel feature: MathML Support.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-01-29 at 17:53.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 16:22   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's not that I'm having problems with it. It's just that it's still easy for certain people to screw themselves if their not conscious of all the current issues and bugs before installing it.
To throw something in the air: Text Selection; not that great but I need it to work 100% it affects my work.

Mah ~ I guess I'm being over sensible and protective since it's closer and closer to a final version.
I don't want people to get bad impression with the still a lil' buggy versions. I'll shut up now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Yeah, that is nice. There's a lot of talk about that for the latest several builds when they weren't talking about nonsense like improved native skinning.
Yes, Olli and team have a subtle sense of humor in their work.
Old 2008-01-29, 17:51   Link #24
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
To throw something in the air: Text Selection; not that great but I need it to work 100% it affects my work.
What's off with the text selection? I haven't noticed that bug...

Quote:
Mah ~ I guess I'm being over sensible and protective since it's closer and closer to a final version.
I don't want people to get bad impression with the still a lil' buggy versions. I'll shut up now...
Don't shut up! Have they announced a release date for the final? Oh dear, I imagined we'd have at least a few months to finish up the problems that still exist. I really pray that they don't release it with stupid bugs still hanging around. Suddenly I'm nervous also.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-01-30, 02:10   Link #25
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I think the native skinning aspect is relatively important. I use Opera on Mac OS X, Windows, and occasionally Linux. I can appreciate the fact that there's a consistency in design across all three, but Opera on the Mac really feels like a Windows application in practically every aspect. I've tried their Mac skin and in addition to looking horrible (it's basically the Safarai look) it still doesn't feel native. But what I really care for is menu designs. When I download something, I want the option of "show in Finder" (brings up the file in the folder view). Practically every other Mac OS X application has this and I feel it's too useful to not have.

Of course, even if they do skin it properly I may go back to the old Windows default just out of habit... who knows. The big thing I really need fixed is printing: trying to print causes Opera to crash in OSX 10.5. I emailed Opera the bug log and in the next developer update they mentioned that they MAYBE had it fixed. I frequently make PDFs of electronic receipts, and in OSX you do that through the Print dialogue. This is incredibly inconvenient for me...
Old 2008-01-30, 02:31   Link #26
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The big thing I really need fixed is printing: trying to print causes Opera to crash in OSX 10.5. I emailed Opera the bug log and in the next developer update they mentioned that they MAYBE had it fixed. I frequently make PDFs of electronic receipts, and in OSX you do that through the Print dialogue. This is incredibly inconvenient for me...
Well, you could always install Kestrel to a new directory to see if the bug is fixed. If it doesn't print, please submit the bug to improve the chances that the final version will work properly.

You don't have to use the beta regularly just to test it for a few bugs.

Old 2008-01-30, 03:23   Link #27
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Well, you could always install Kestrel to a new directory to see if the bug is fixed. If it doesn't print, please submit the bug to improve the chances that the final version will work properly.

You don't have to use the beta regularly just to test it for a few bugs.
I suppose... I was just so surprised that their forums didn't have anything on it. I mean, I've seen other OSX users complain about it, but I guess the user base is so small that everyone just figured that someone else would file the bug report. So I filed a bug report and they emailed me back asking for the crash log, and I sent it. I don't know, I've never been much of a bug hunter, but maybe one of these days I'll try it out and at least check on that bug.
Old 2008-01-30, 04:42   Link #28
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I must have the most unimportant and minor issue with Opera (9.25)
But was wondering if they had sort of fixed it.

I only use Opera because opening several scan size pages on Firefox will make it lag and become horrible slow. So i use Opera to browse imageboards and to download images.

Mouse gesture is really handy for that in closing the pages after "looting"
But i also set mouse gesture for "Save image" But the problem is that the name doesn't change. So if i save image one with name "image11" and go to next tab and save the next with mouse gesture again, it's again "image 11" The problem only happens when using mouse gesture. So was wondering if it's something i'm doing wrong or it being a big.

And the other problem was. If you do save image in Firefox even when the image isn't fully loaded it will just sort of turn it in to a download in download tab and slowly download it and finish the image. In Opera it saves image the moment you press it and saves whatever is loaded. Leaving the rest gray. Is there a way to tell Opera to do it like FF? First fully download the image than saving it?

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 04:48   Link #29
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Hmmm. It would take me a bit of experimentation to answer those questions since I don't use my browser that way, but I can tell you one thing that would work better than your image saving method.

If you hold down the ctrl key when you click on an image it will save the image. It rather seems like a waste of my time to set up a mouse gesture for this when the feature is built in. It will call up a save dialog where you can name the image, just like you want to do. This also works in 9.25, so try it out now by saving my signature or something.

I'd have to find some slow loading images to test the second question.

Old 2008-01-30, 05:39   Link #30
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Hmmm. It would take me a bit of experimentation to answer those questions since I don't use my browser that way, but I can tell you one thing that would work better than your image saving method.

If you hold down the ctrl key when you click on an image it will save the image. It rather seems like a waste of my time to set up a mouse gesture for this when the feature is built in. It will call up a save dialog where you can name the image, just like you want to do. This also works in 9.25, so try it out now by saving my signature or something.

I'd have to find some slow loading images to test the second question.
Your right. I never knew about the CTRL thing. It works like a charm, thanks
As for a big image. Here is one. 8mb. Should give you few seconds to load it.

And this one 16mb, (bit ecchi) if the first one is to fast.

Old 2008-01-30, 06:05   Link #31
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Interesting. When I right-clicked and told it to save the picture, it opened a transfer window to download the file, much like your description of Firefox. It looks like 9.5 is going to make you happy.

Old 2008-01-30, 08:47   Link #32
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Interesting. When I right-clicked and told it to save the picture, it opened a transfer window to download the file, much like your description of Firefox. It looks like 9.5 is going to make you happy.
Sounds great. I'll be looking forward to the release

Thanks.

Old 2008-01-30, 21:03   Link #33
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I have been an Opera user for close to 3 and 1/2 years , currently I am using 9.5 version I am bit dissapointed . Overall 9.5 is way better than the older versions but I faced some problems with 9.5

* Firstly 9.5 installation is taken as a new installation rather than upgrade so all your wands saved passwords / ids dissapear .

* When you just open your browser and your page is getting loaded . if you click on another link ( with shift for tabs) it opens in the same page .

* Hyperlinks in older versions of Operas there was a feature just to copy the text in Hyperlinks without having to goto the link . In Opera 9.5 there is no such copy feature the only option is CTRL + C .

- Animesuki ( I block the link but I cant copy the name Animesuki , I can copy the web adress but not the name ' Animesuki ' )

This SC will make it easier to understand

Quote:
* Spell Checker , bieng frequent to forums I would have loved it if a spell checker was embedded in Opera as Firefox . There are widgets but a embedded spell checker is always good

Quote:
I'll admit that the ability to see animated PNGs means very little when there just aren't any on the web yet.
Wrong Thread to ask the Q ,but what software do you need to create APNGs or how to create them ?
Old 2008-01-30, 21:45   Link #34
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Geta Boshi ~ You can use OSpell as a sort of Firefox Integrated Spell-Checker, see: Optimization thread in Sticky above...
OSpell is limited to 2-3 paragraphs worth of spell-checking however.

Oh and thanks Boshi, that reminds me of this little fragment from the QA thread...
Quote:
The PNG group may have rejected APNG, but current browser development is supporting it, so the facts on the ground will determine the future. Of course, Microsoft will basically settle the matter if they support it in IE8. For now, Firefox's decision to support APNG is most important. I'm certainly eager to see a superior replacement for animated gifs.

As for MNG, it has existed since 2001 without ever becoming relevant. I have nothing more to say.
And You think they are wrong?

Besides the small transparency advantage PNGs are pretty irrelevant to the web. The format stores far more colors, detail and redundancy then is required. As opposed to jpeg encoding which has a fun way of playing with your eyes... The standard .png is good as a image format for the web, images which would require printing need the extra information. When the color table shifts from RGB to CMYK (printable colors; a hole different unrelated beastie) other tones become important... relevant.

But a animated .png? Can you print animation? Can you do anything with all the extra junk...
PNGs are wasteful period, taking the extra overhead to no real advantage is stupid.

As it is, the PNG group -as you call it- has all the right in the world not to support it.
If it was a AJPG maybe I would have some faith in it.

edit: Hm. This png group is it. Hehe Just to clarify, above I wasn't thinking of them...

Last edited by felix; 2008-01-30 at 23:43.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 00:14   Link #35
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Quote:
As for MNG, it has existed since 2001 without ever becoming relevant. I have nothing more to say.
And You think they are wrong?
Nope. I don't think that the PNG group is wrong. I only mean that MNG is irrelevant and APNG is the upcoming standard regardless of right or wrong. It wouldn't be the first time that the better standard was ignored. Betamax was clearly better than VHS, but I have nothing more to say about it's relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
* Firstly 9.5 installation is taken as a new installation rather than upgrade so all your wands saved passwords / ids dissapear .
I cannot answer to this since it does not match my own experience. It installs as an upgrade for me.

Quote:
* Hyperlinks in older versions of Operas there was a feature just to copy the text in Hyperlinks without having to goto the link . In Opera 9.5 there is no such copy feature the only option is CTRL + C .
Once again I don't know what your problem is. Perhaps a feature I never used in 9.25 was removed, but to copy the text of links I just do the same think I always have. Just highlight the link and CTRL-C or chose copy from the right-click menu. It works perfectly for me. Here's how it looks on my browser:
Edit: Oh. I just remembered that I had that problem with the 9.5 beta, but it was fixed in the weeklies so long ago that I forgot. Are you using the beta? The currently weekly is much better and much more stable than that beta.

Quote:
* Spell Checker , bieng frequent to forums I would have loved it if a spell checker was embedded in Opera as Firefox . There are widgets but a embedded spell checker is always good
Okay, I agree. I make use of a javascript called O-Spell, but it would be nice if there was a better spellcheck function built in.

Old 2008-01-31, 00:37   Link #36
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
I cannot answer to this since it does not match my own experience. It installs as an upgrade for me.
I upgraded from 9.24.8816.0 to 9.5 beta two weeks back and I have a seperate installation . Not only installation is seprate even the directory folders are seperate

Quote:
Once again I don't know what your problem is. Perhaps a feature I never used in 9.25 was removed, but to copy the text of links I just do the same think I always have. Just highlight the link and CTRL-C or chose copy from the right-click menu. It works perfectly for me. Here's how it looks on my browser:
Edit: Oh. I just remembered that I had that problem with the 9.5 beta, but it was fixed in the weeklies so long ago that I forgot. Are you using the beta? The currently weekly is much better and much more stable than that beta.
Yeah I am using the Beta version and this was the diffrence from 9.5 beta and 9.24.8816.0

Quote:

- Animesuki ( I block the link but I cant copy the name Animesuki , I can copy the web adress but not the name ' Animesuki ' )

This SC will make it easier to understand
9.5 Beta

Quote:

Quote:
Let me check out 9.5 ^o^

EDIT : Its not feautured on their site

http://www.opera.com/download/

only one is 9.5 series is Beta
Old 2008-01-31, 00:56   Link #37
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Try this build. It fixes the bugs you're complaining about. Those are just bugs, not a change in features. (Beta software is expected to have a few bugs, but beta 1 is closer to alpha in terms of suckiness.) That's why I posted this link earlier.

As for installing as a separate installation, that was because of how you instructed it when you ran the installer. It will create a brand new directory and a new installation if you tell it to create a new directory. If you change the default directory to a directory that already has a copy of Opera, then it will upgrade.

Old 2008-01-31, 03:40   Link #38
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Disclaimer: I'm a little confused and tired so sorry if I just misread something...

This "should see upgrade", isn't entirely true... The behavior depends on whether you have a stable release of Opera installed ATM (in which case you should see the option but not as recommended), and the other factor -which I believe to be your case NSW- if you have previous Alpha's installed. Otherwise, if you're sure to have previously uninstallable them (for whatever reason) which I believe is the current case for Boshi, then it's likely a bohr-bug. (a bug in programs which occurs only under certain non-user influenced circumstances)
Old 2008-01-31, 16:40   Link #39
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Bah, maybe they didn't fix the Mac OS X print bug yet. They emailed me back today stating that they can't reproduce the error, and asking for more steps on my part. I can reproduce it each and every time, so I guess at least it makes generating crash logs easy :P I know other users have reported problems like this, so I know it's not too isolated an incident, either. Oh well, it feels nice to be able to contribute toward making Opera a better browser!
Old 2008-01-31, 17:48   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes the Opera community is open, friendly and down to earth.

Tags
browsers, opera, software