AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 27 12.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 63 29.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 26.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 15.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.42%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-10, 04:36   Link #201
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

It's strange but I like it still.

I see all the scenes that were like totaly shorten but I don't really mind.
Ok I mind a little, the scene at the end became really sad with george asking about another corpse and the music changing to worldend.

In the anime it was just another (short) part of the crusome scene.
Old 2009-07-10, 04:43   Link #202
Apathy
does not compute

Just finished watching the second episode. Even as someone who's spoiled themselves as much as I've been able to on the happenings/extra information in the visual novel so far (I haven't quite played it, but I like getting the extra information and background), I thought it was a good episode.

I found the pacing fine this time around, and the only bit I think went a bit too fast was perhaps the cut from Natsuhi leaving the study to them finding the bodies in the storage shed. Likewise, one of the only parts I found odd was Maria reading the letter near the start, and whilst the way the storage shed scene was handled wasn't bad, I felt it might have been better in the drama CD. Other than that, it was good for me. 8D I guess it's inevitable they have to cut stuff, although I'm personally fine with knowing the background and just enjoying it as an anime adaption. =3
Old 2009-07-10, 05:11   Link #203
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
Ummm, I think it would be better if we try sticking theory in to another thread because there will be even more speculations in the following episodes.
I'm glad you mentioned that or I wouldn't have gone looking for the theories thread which is in the main forum area. I'll repost there.
Old 2009-07-10, 05:26   Link #204
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Battler and his parents' relationship is unexpected, (well the TIPS provided by Klashikari did not imply it, or maybe I just get the wrong impression) but it was interesting.
6 corpses. I hate it when the major clue (the epitaph) is so close in number. Most of the time it turn out unthinkable at the end =_= I'll prepare myself.

And what the hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Witch Hunt
One shall be, even the resurrection of the lost love.
Something that I should not know yet?

Old 2009-07-10, 05:29   Link #205
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
Battler and his parents' relationship is unexpected, (well the TIPS provided by Klashikari did not imply it, or maybe I just get the wrong impression) but it was interesting.
6 corpses. I hate it when the major clue (the epitaph) is so close in number. Most of the time it turn out unthinkable at the end =_= I'll prepare myself.

And what the hell is this?

Something that I should not know yet?
Check your PM in a few minutes.
Old 2009-07-10, 06:21   Link #206
Dop
Mmmm....

Ok. I've never seen the VN or the manga which keep getting mentioned in this thread, and basically I'm viewing this series and considering it in its own right.

It's an 'old dark house' story, and so far I'm enjoying it. Yes, Maria is annoying, but I guess she's meant to be annoying and creepy too. I really wasn't expecting so many people to get killed on the first night.
Old 2009-07-10, 06:47   Link #207
Kazane

As a first time viewer, this episode was great. I probably shivered out of fear and excitement at least thrice throughout the episode.

As with Higurashi, I am saddened to find out that many things had been left out. Well, at least it makes me want to get the novel more.

For now I'll be suspecting Eva. No particular reason other than the fact that she looks and sounds evil, and that her family is the only one that's untouched.

Old 2009-07-10, 07:21   Link #208
ipernorris

Can't Beatrice be the silent butler dude, the one who says "we're furniture"?
Old 2009-07-10, 07:33   Link #209
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Can't Beatrice be the silent butler dude, the one who says "we're furniture"?
Kanon?
Well, that's up to you.
Old 2009-07-10, 07:48   Link #210
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saerianne View Post
Kanon?
Well, that's up to you.
Yeah the dude who is always silent. And I know it's up to me, I wanted to hear other people's opinions...
Old 2009-07-10, 07:51   Link #211
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't think it's Kanon for reasons I can't say. Heck in fact I have no bloody idea who it can possibly be.
Old 2009-07-10, 08:25   Link #212
oompa loompa

Err.. ok, I'm beginning to see the pacing issues (even though I havnt played the VN).. its not 'rushed' exactly.. i have trouble finding the word. its more like on fast forward ( no, they dont mean the same thing!). how should i say, its not so much forced as just going at a very fast pace. first half of the episode, meh, second half of the episode was really good though! ( i thought they could have shown battler breaking down a little bit more).. but i just want to ask ( if its permitted in this discussion) am i also right in assuming that they would have to go at a fairly fast pace to cover episode I in 5 episodes? - its a

similar feeling to higurashi - i cant wait to see the next episode, and its really good, but its more to do with the material the studio has to work with than the execution.

low point of the episode (and question!) -
Spoiler for :

high point of the episode - maria watching higurashi
Old 2009-07-10, 08:37   Link #213
Battler-kun

Hi there.
Knowing the manga, i find this episode quite painful to watch.
I guess i will stick on with the manga.
I don't know the VN.

The anime feels like skipping from one scene to another one without much to none character interaction so much to a point that it feels disconcerting.
It feels like the scenes aren't really well enough connected.

Battler-kun's dad going into the room, saying i am gonna die, i'm leaving now, bye.
Even not knowing the manga or the VN, people should make a -face.
That it feels somehow flat and empty.

Also Battler finding his dad's corpse like it was a joke (you can say that he was shocked first). Then after some time he suddenly screams and falls to the ground.
It feels too much staged and unnatural, not to mention, that after his farther mentioned it, he must have thought about this and had a premonition.
Didn't feel that in the anime.

I guess without the manga, i would say it was an okay episode.
But.....
Old 2009-07-10, 09:04   Link #214
Oekitarts
Oppai Sommelier

Send a message via Yahoo to Oekitarts
Even now as I watched ep2 on my phone while family hogs the computer (I'm even posting with my phone!)
...it still manages to capture that claustrophobic feeling I had while playing the VN.
One of the things I'm glad DEEN left was the whole 'shaky camera' effect.
Also, the gore was more disturbing than I expected it to be.
Not as OMFG as the manga,
but still.... XP
But hey. That's a good thing innit?

Btw...
Rahu_goldenslaughterer
ftw!!!!!!
Old 2009-07-10, 09:13   Link #215
Scython

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
low point of the episode (and question!) -
Spoiler for :
Exactly my problem. At least Higurashi had those those expressions whenever the situation was critical or something. In here it just seems they were like 'Oh let's give her a messed up face. People like that'. It's like a twisted version of fan service.

My only logical reasoning would be her getting possessed by Beatrice as soon as she started reading. Would make sense, as you could see she had troubles with words such as ''messenger'', but in that letter were a lot of *difficult* words, but she fluently pronounced those.

IM ON TO SOMETHING >:O
Old 2009-07-10, 09:27   Link #216
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

In the novel there's an extensive discussion about Maria's double personality, I dunno if the anime will mention that, however that's supposed to happen in a scene that should be covered in the next episode.

Anyway it suffice to say that Maria becomes creepy everytime she's in a position to teach others about magic and witches.

Old 2009-07-10, 11:53   Link #217
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Haha, the creepy mode was my favorite part! She's soooo much better than normal mode Maria.

I watched the episode last night and it didn't disappoint. The pacing was much more bearable than in the first episode, and I feel like we're getting to the meat of the story. The bloody, shredded meat. I wanted to see more of the shed, yum.
Old 2009-07-10, 12:01   Link #218
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
but i just want to ask ( if its permitted in this discussion) am i also right in assuming that they would have to go at a fairly fast pace to cover episode I in 5 episodes?
I will say that I spend around a whole night, which mean 4-5 or 5-6 hours (cannot remember correctly ), to read the whole episode. And DEEN has to make it into 5 episodes of 20 minutes each (total 100 min compare to reading of around 300 min or more).... not an easy job to do.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.

Last edited by Alaya; 2009-07-10 at 13:57.
Old 2009-07-10, 13:25   Link #219
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
So it has begun such a large body count and only in episode 2. I wish we could have seen how gruesome the bodies really were but the scene only glanced over a couple of quick shots and it was blurry. Damn i felt bad for the maid she was wearing the ring as well which means she had accepted George's proposal they only showed her hand which i guess was to mean more than actually showing how horrible her body looked after what happened to the others. They didnt show him screaming but im sure he was a wreck on the inside and im sure the next episode will convey this fact.

Battlers reaction was kind of strange i didnt really feel actually emotion from his outburst but then again we dont know much about him. However, both his parents were killed in a most horrible way and that was all he could muster i did feel it was real. But i can see where these deaths are going to turn everyone against one another. There is still plenty of family feud left to go around who had a alibi where was everyone that night.

The reading of the letter gave me some insight into what needs to happen and what the Beatrice if she exist is up too. What i didnt like was how Maria read the letter for some reason she got all eveeeel like but for no real reason. It was never stated that Beatrice possessed people so why the evil face? She does seem a little off so im sure her story is much deeper than it appears outright. But i thought it was cool as hell that she stayed in the room to watch Higurashi.

Award for best scream goes to Jessica man what a set of lungs on that girl. Her mother tried to protect and told her not to look but it was inevitable i truly felt sorry for her.

Looking at all the complaining about manga and game material i am actually happy that has yet to read the manga nor have i played the game yet which i guess allows me the freedom to enjoy the anime only version. I for one thought the episode was quite good given one of 2 things i did not like

solid 9
Old 2009-07-10, 13:32   Link #220
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Beatrice is Beatrice...just ask Maria.