AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-19, 16:46   Link #41
Kirarakim

Well my favorites are Kanba, Ringo, and Shouma. I can't really decide between them.

But as much as I am interested in learning more about Kanba. I actually expect there is a lot for us to learn about Shouma too.
Old 2011-09-19, 19:25   Link #42
EhrinUCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
-snip-
yeah, Kanba is also my favorite & I agree with pretty much everything you said^^

Quote:
I actually think the thing with Himari is kind of sweet... I realized that I really liked the pairing after episode 10, when they had their discussion in the cafeteria. (I'm not bothered by the fact that they're siblings - a clear sign that I've watched too much anime, I think. XD)
lol same for some reason i don't really mind the pairing ...but it probably won't happen anyway...
Old 2011-09-19, 19:31   Link #43
Kirarakim

Yeah I highly doubt Kanba/Himari will actually happen. Incest/love of one's siblings was a theme in Utena too. But it was definitely not shown to be something positive. And I don't think it is going to be portrayed as something positive here either.

Personally think part of Kanba's arc will be letting his ideal of Himari go.
Old 2011-09-19, 21:00   Link #44
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well my favorites are Kanba, Ringo, and Shouma. I can't really decide between them.

But as much as I am interested in learning more about Kanba. I actually expect there is a lot for us to learn about Shouma too.
What's a racist! You dislike Himari because she's half-penguin don't you
Old 2011-09-19, 21:10   Link #45
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Yeah you discovered my dark secret

But actually I do like Himari and episode 9 helped a lot with that. I just don't like her as much as the other 3 I named.
Old 2011-09-19, 23:20   Link #46
YayPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Gasp! How terrible!

Quote:
Yeah I highly doubt Kanba/Himari will actually happen. Incest/love of one's siblings was a theme in Utena too. But it was definitely not shown to be something positive. And I don't think it is going to be portrayed as something positive here either.
Yeah, that's true. I'm sure it's not going down a warm and fuzzy road. XD I am interested in seeing how it began for Kanba though, and how Himari will react if she ever finds out. I have a feeling that possessed!Himari already knows.

Quote:
yeah, Kanba is also my favorite & I agree with pretty much everything you said^^
Hurray for Kanba fans.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:40   Link #47
fukarming

Quote:
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but Kanba is my favorite character so far. He's the most intriguing of the characters IMO. I started off liking Shoma best, and I still like him, but the fact that he's with Ringo so much has brought him down for me. Not that I don't like Ringo...it's just that I think her plot is kind of boring and I wish they'd focus more on the three siblings.

But Kanba has become my favorite faster than I expected, and I didn't even like him all that much to begin with. The kiss in the first episode got me intrigued but other than that I didn't really think much of him. He grew on me though. He's so mysterious and I want to know more about his past. He obviously loves his family a lot and wants to keep them together, which is admirable. The whole playboy thing on the other hand isn't admirable, but I'll reserve my judgement on that until we know the whole situation. Of course, he may just turn out to be a "playboy with a heart of gold" or something like that. :P

I actually think the thing with Himari is kind of sweet... I realized that I really liked the pairing after episode 10, when they had their discussion in the cafeteria. Before that point Himari and Kanba hadn't really spent much one on one time together and whenever Himari was in a room with Sho and Kan, she'd usually address Sho. It seems like she prefers him. So it was nice to see the two of them have some time together. (I'm not bothered by the fact that they're siblings - a clear sign that I've watched too much anime, I think. XD)
I also like Kanba the most.

To understand Kanba's "playboy" attitude you need to consider the Japanese teenage dating scenes in anime:

Girls confess to cool guys, which Kanba is undoubtedly one. And if the guy is not involved/ like someone else, he will date the girl even if he just met her on her confession day. (It played out many times in anime). If they found incompatible later, they will break up. The only fault I can find Kanba is he is brutally brute/ honest when he breaks up with a girl (ep3, when Ringo's classmate explain how Kanba breaks up with Kupo), which I don't find to be necessarily a negative trait.

As of his disregard to people other than his family, are you referring to Ringo? The surveillance and stuff? I am surprised Shouma keep up with the moral to someone as crazy as Ringo. I don't see much problem in that, as Kanba explain it himself "How should you investigate someone you don't know?" "As long as she didn't find out it is OK" "There is no need to concern about a crazy stalker like Ringo"
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
Old 2011-09-20, 15:42   Link #48
Razziell22

Yay more Kanba fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Personally think part of Kanba's arc will be letting his ideal of Himari go.
yeah, I also think that part of his arc is going to be of letting go of those 'feelings' he has for Himari. But anyway, i hope he's gonna get a happy ending..(or at least partly happy >_<)
For some reason i can't get this thought out of my head that he's gonna die at the end, sacrificing himself for his family or something...
Old 2011-09-20, 16:47   Link #49
faburosumakusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razziell22 View Post
Yay more Kanba fans
For some reason i can't get this thought out of my head that he's gonna die at the end, sacrificing himself for his family or something...
Yeah I get that feeling too! I hope I'm wrong though because that whole die-for-someone-else deal in the end is getting very old and boring.
Old 2011-09-22, 23:19   Link #50
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

i'm definitely a fan of kanba as well.

i'm intrigued by him and his playboy reputation. he's also very brash with the girls he's been onscreen with, disregarding himari, so it's odd to imagine how he's even dated any of them lol. just cementing my belief that there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 2011-09-28, 09:44   Link #51
YayPepsi

From the Ringo thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I don't see much difference in her attitude really. Shouma gets the trapdoo because she has selected Kanba for whatever she's doing. Other than that, she seems equally harsh with both of them IMO.
Really? She insults Sho a lot. She calls him a retard, furniture, stupid and all sorts of other things. She's even worse with Ringo and calls her a perv, a whore, a stalker ect. The worst she's ever said to Kanba is addressing both him and Sho as lowlifes. She's never said anything else bad about him.

Last edited by YayPepsi; 2011-09-28 at 09:55.
Old 2011-09-28, 10:46   Link #52
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Really? She insults Sho a lot. She calls him a retard, furniture, stupid and all sorts of other things.
I suppose that's mistranslation. I just re-watched all the survival strategy and the worst she's called him is "useless dimwit", in episode 7 (after he complains a lot about shit and whatnot). That's all.

So like I said before, she's pretty much equally harsh with both of them.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:07   Link #53
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
I suppose that's mistranslation. I just re-watched all the survival strategy and the worst she's called him is "useless dimwit", in episode 7 (after he complains a lot about shit and whatnot). That's all.

So like I said before, she's pretty much equally harsh with both of them.
that being said, i definitely felt as though she favoured kanba what with sho being thrown down the shaft all the time. and pulling the red stuff out of him first episode.

and
Spoiler:

that said i definitely think kanba's feelings for himari are a result of their interactions. i don't think he initially liked his sister romantically.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:34   Link #54
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
that said i definitely think kanba's feelings for himari are a result of their interactions. i don't think he initially liked his sister romantically.
I disagree. I think he did have those feeling before, and that's why PoC chose him in the first place (read below)

Quote:
that being said, i definitely felt as though she favoured kanba what with sho being thrown down the shaft all the time. and pulling the red stuff out of him first episode.
It's the opposite I think. She's not favoring him, since you could say she was taking his life to keep Himari alive. You can tell this was affecting Kanba in a very negative way, maybe even shortening his life span. But she chose him and not Shouma because of his feelings for Himari. Those feelings are part of what she was taking from him to preserve Himari's life IMO.

All in all, I don't think Himari has feelings for him. That's why he's "not good enough". Only her fated one, the one she truly loves, can be good enough. How does this fit into the overall plot, I don't know.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:41   Link #55
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
I disagree. I think he did have those feeling before, and that's why PoC chose him in the first place (read below)

It's the opposite I think. She's not favoring him, since you could say she was taking his life to keep Himari alive. You can tell this was affecting Kanba in a very negative way, maybe even shortening his life span. But she chose him and not Shouma because of his feelings for Himari. Those feelings are part of what she was taking from him to preserve Himari's life IMO.

All in all, I don't think Himari has feelings for him. That's why he's "not good enough". Only her fated one, the one she truly loves, can be good enough. How does this fit into the overall plot, I don't know.
the main reason why i think it's after is how resigned, defeated he was when himari first died in the first episode. look how different it is now. it's like him and sho reversed roles.

not to mention this is a show about subverting fate--kanba isn't good enough because he isn't fated. but he's also trying his damnedest. just referring back to that monologue in the first episode and even this episode. of how cruel fate is.

it's interesting you say that she may be using his feelings to save her own life. i hadn't thought of that.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:58   Link #56
Kazu-kun

Quote:
not to mention this is a show about subverting fate
Wow, you're assuming way too much here. With Ikuhara there's no way you can tell what he show is about until the very end. The show could easily be about the opposite of what you think, you know?

Quote:
the main reason why i think it's after is how resigned, defeated he was when himari first died in the first episode. look how different it is now. it's like him and sho reversed roles.
No, he was avoiding the issue at the moment. It was a facade. But you can see the real Kanba in a previous scene, when he told the doctor he could use his life if that would help Himari. It was the scene that marks him as the chosen one to sacrifice his life for her. That's why the PoC goes directly after him in the first Seizon Senryaku.
Old 2011-09-30, 04:10   Link #57
Warm Mist

I'm not getting all the "Kanba's not good enough" thing. I don't understand a thing of Japanese, and on gg's release they never say anything about being or not being good enough. Kanba just says "why can't it be me?" obviously meaning "why can't I die and Himari live, instead of it being the other way around?". Was there a mistranslation somewhere, something I missed on the episode, or what?
Old 2011-09-30, 04:30   Link #58
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
I'm not getting all the "Kanba's not good enough" thing. I don't understand a thing of Japanese, and on gg's release they never say anything about being or not being good enough. Kanba just says "why can't it be me?" obviously meaning "why can't I die and Himari live, instead of being the other way around?". Was there a mistranslation somewhere, something I missed on the episode, or what?
Both lines are accurate enough, but "why can't I die and Himari live" is a bit off IMO. He's talking about his failure to save Himari, about not being good enough to help her. The underlying meaning is that he isn't good enough (to save her) because he isn't her fated one. This is implied by Sanetoshi's words and besides the PoC did say the survival strategy was somehow like love....
Old 2011-09-30, 04:54   Link #59
Warm Mist

Well, he also did explicitly say that he wanted to trade his life for Himari's, but I'll concede you that point. However, I'm still not completely sold on the idea that the thing needed to save her was "love" or to be her fated person (which heavily implies love).
Old 2011-09-30, 06:09   Link #60
Kirarakim

In this case I agree with Kazu-Kun...that was my impression even with the GG subs. The reason why Kanba couldn't save Himari is because he is not the right one. (even if he was willing to give up his life for her).

Whether Himari's fated one has to do with physical love or something else though remains to be seen.

Tags
characters