AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 30 16.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 25.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 23.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 17.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 8.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 4.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-22, 20:40   Link #81
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko View Post
Why do they have to be fast-paced? Isn't it important to know the characters a little? When reading a book, one likes to know them too, right? I don't see I would buy a book where about 20 people die in 6 pages' time..
But they still have to fit all the arcs into a certain amount of episodes. It's not like they can choose how long they want the series to run...well they can, but if they keep the series running if they did is another question...and if a broadcasting station would by it (they probably would....but well).

It's not like you knew much about the characters from Higurashi during the Question arcs in the Anime. You learned a bit about Rena, K1 was virtually cut away completely from the Anime...it's not like they didn't butcher Higurashi, too, in a way....there just weren't so many people ranting how bad the series is.
At that time there were like 3 people always telling that there was 'this missing and that missing' and the 30 or 40 people watching the Anime as first timers thought 'who cares, I like it'.
Now it is the other way around in a way, it's maybe 10-20 anime only watchers, against an ARMY of VN-readers who all rant about their individual most beloved character/BGM/scene/picture/room/weather/sickness not getting enough recognition from DEEN.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:40   Link #82
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Okay.. guess it might get better when watching on. Hope it will. Still, in Higurashi I liked them all from the first episode on.. I miss characters as cute as Rena and Rika ;_; there's noone like that in Umineko.. but they have hot Battler at least xP but I really do hope, next week holds a better episode.
next week will most certainly be better than this episode... or at least I hope so, considering I have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2009-07-22, 20:43   Link #83
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

With regards to Maria's face being funny than scary, it's supposed to be that way. I remember when I played the game that it was more of a comical effect than scary at this point. And with Battler giving the "tsukkomi" bonk, it adds to the comedic effect during the times of despair.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:44   Link #84
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

I really want to read the VN ._. but thing is, I'm no good at Japanese; never learned enough yet. Well, but after having watched the series completely, I will buy it, no matter what. After all, I like some characters up to this point, and that's saying something (Battler, Beatrice and Eva.. because Evas voice is from Higurashi <3) Marias voice might be from Higurashi too, but I don't see any Hanyuu in her.. stupid little brat that she is, when Hanyuu was cute and always wanting to protect Rika-chama.

@Klashikari: Sorry, I guess I overlooked it ._. I don't have much time to read through the forum everyday, and it ends up me always only discussing the episodes =/ will take the translated version, thank you. and also thanks @Kitsu ^^
Old 2009-07-22, 20:44   Link #85
Kitsu
The unlucky one

*rapid Jessica fan*
I'm fine without Rena and Rika, I wonder why xDD

But is someoneelse here disturbed that george said he wanted to kill? wasn't he the calm one who wanted the police to get the culprit

@Umineko
No good with japanese? NO PROBLEM! We have the Witch-Hunt! An awesome tranlator team
www.witch-hunt.com

@ Vandakiara I had to beat you
Old 2009-07-22, 20:45   Link #86
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
With regards to Maria's face being funny than scary, it's supposed to be that way. I remember when I played the game that it was more of a comical effect than scary at this point.
I disagree: considering what Battler says in his monologue, he certainly felt something was wrong and even started to have the creeps.

The problem is... Ryukishi really don't have the knack at drawing and make the mood more relying on the description and readers' imagination (i.e corpses etc).
Thus, stating it is "working as intended" despite Maria arguably have a very poor expression panel on the "creepy mode" doens't mean much here.

Quote:
I really want to read the VN ._. but thing is, I'm no good at Japanese; never learned enough yet. Well, but after having watched the series completely, I will buy it, no matter what. After all, I like some characters up to this point, and that's saying something (Battler, Beatrice and Eva.. because Evas voice is from Higurashi <3) Marias voice might be from Higurashi too, but I don't see any Hanyuu in her.. stupid little brat that she is, when Hanyuu was cute and always wanting to protect Rika-chama.
For your instance, all episodes so far are translated in English (not like the translation thread is unexistent...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
But is someoneelse here disturbed that george said he wanted to kill? wasn't he the calm one who wanted the police to get the culprit
You can't keep a composed and logical reaction in such extreme situation. Right there, he just learned that not only his love died, but his parents did as well.
So it is no wonder he has a rage fit, even for a single moment.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:00   Link #87
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I disagree: considering what Battler says in his monologue, he certainly felt something was wrong and even started to have the creeps.
I disagree with the disagreement.
I never felt something menacing from Maria either and always imagined it rather out of place in a grotesque/funny way what she was doing/saying. She always reminded me of the Cheshire Cat during Episode 1.
That's the 'problem' you have, when you translate something from a written medium, with very little visual evidence (and I don't count Maria's bratty/scary/angry/annoyed all-in-one face as a good visual evidence). Much is up to the reader's imagination and the reader's imagination is formed by things he has read, he relates those descriptions to.
In that way you can't say that the depiction is WRONG, because you don't have Ryûkishi sitting next to you saying 'That's not what I intended...'. Just because it is not what you/or however many other fans saw inside your head(s), doesn't prove it wrong instantly.

And one can find many things unsettling and 'creepy', a dancing clown on a beach on an abandoned island would be creepy too if you would witness it...but watching a movie showing that you would probably laugh.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:04   Link #88
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
It's not like you knew much about the characters from Higurashi during the Question arcs in the Anime. You learned a bit about Rena, K1 was virtually cut away completely from the Anime...it's not like they didn't butcher Higurashi, too, in a way....there just weren't so many people ranting how bad the series is.
At that time there were like 3 people always telling that there was 'this missing and that missing' and the 30 or 40 people watching the Anime as first timers thought 'who cares, I like it'.
Apparently though, Higurashi wasn't AS butchered as this is turning out to be (and I agree). Then again...I am being more and more accepting of first time viewers who are enjoying this. More power to them as well since a positive impression of the series is better than a negative one (whilst it does seem so for VN players like me, though you will be surprised at the number of VN readers who still adore the anime). I just hope that some would play the game after watching this to see the "vastly superior" story being told by a pro.

And once again I've been watching another summary of the story. Maria did her screwed up faces again and is more than I could handle anymore. It was hilarious to watch Battler bonk her on the head a few times but it was hardly enough. He should do it more often dammit! Meanwhile Maria's expressions ARE supposed to be creepy, not funny, so if people are finding her funny then the wrong image has already been portrayed from her anime self. In this case DEEN was trying too hard since they made her face fucked up 24/7.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-22, 21:05   Link #89
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I personally don't think that Maria's face should be so distorted all of the time, I also don't think the manga got it down. I figured, that if Ryukishi07 wanted a super contorted psycho face for Maria, then he would draw one himself and put the sprite up in the right scenes. He is indeed at least capable of drawing a psycho looking face.

Old 2009-07-22, 21:20   Link #90
MarthX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Apparently though, Higurashi wasn't AS butchered as this is turning out to be (and I agree). Then again...I am being more and more accepting of first time viewers who are enjoying this. More power to them as well since a positive impression of the series is better than a negative one (whilst it does seem so for VN players like me, though you will be surprised at the number of VN readers who still adore the anime). I just hope that some would play the game after watching this to see the "vastly superior" story being told by a pro.

And once again I've been watching another summary of the story. Maria did her screwed up faces again and is more than I could handle anymore. It was hilarious to watch Battler bonk her on the head a few times but it was hardly enough. He should do it more often dammit! Meanwhile Maria's expressions ARE supposed to be creepy, not funny, so if people are finding her funny then the wrong image has already been portrayed from her anime self. In this case DEEN was trying too hard since they made her face fucked up 24/7.
Higurashi was butchered far worse, at least the first season. Tons of important details and scenes were cut.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:26   Link #91
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Don't compare the cuts from Umineko with Higurashi. Even if we're having pacing issues in Umineko, Higurashi's cuts were far worse.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:32   Link #92
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Much is up to the reader's imagination and the reader's imagination is formed by things he has read, he relates those descriptions to.
In that way you can't say that the depiction is WRONG, because you don't have Ryûkishi sitting next to you saying 'That's not what I intended...'. Just because it is not what you/or however many other fans saw inside your head(s), doesn't prove it wrong instantly.
That's exactly what I said. The thing I was disagreeing was basically the "it was intended like this". However, what I mentioned was Battler didn't felt that way, which means it "isn't intended like this" (thus why I didn't used facts or my own interpretation in my answer), yet it doesn't mean KJ is wrong to think it is funny.

Hence, I have no issue that it is up to someone to consider how the mood is, given a certain context, but I don't think a "working as intended" can be claimed here.
All is left afterwards is if people agree with the vision of the animators regarding this, which is a mixed bag as you can see.

Anyway, after watching a proper raw, my blunt reactions would be:
Spoiler for reactions:

Too many things they did wrong in my books , despite they cut even less than before, even putting stuff that were skipped previously (as you can see, I'm more annoyed by the execution rather than the content in fact). And with another reckless pace, to boot.
Ah well... more time for Episode 2-3-4 then...

Now, as usual: Episode 1-4: screencaps, summaru and comments

and as for the TIPS/
Episode 1-4: Blunder

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-23 at 14:19. Reason: comments available
Old 2009-07-22, 21:32   Link #93
BakaOnna

Quote:

It's almost as if you expect the anime to be exactly verbatim from the VN. Or that anything that doesn't come out as what you expected (such as Maria's expressions) is completely wrong from the VN.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:47   Link #94
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna View Post
It's almost as if you expect the anime to be exactly verbatim from the VN. Or that anything that doesn't come out as what you expected (such as Maria's expressions) is completely wrong from the VN.
Now what kind fan wouldn't want an adaption to be perfect? Or at least as close as possible to the original (or why call it an adaption in the first place?). Alas, If they did "try hard" then we will see, but Maria's expressions are a joke in comparison (ie they didn't try and though that big eyes and a big grin reflects the actual mood).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-22, 21:56   Link #95
Orophin

Quote:
I really want to read the VN ._. but thing is, I'm no good at Japanese; never learned enough yet.
All the games released so far are already translated into English and the first game is free to download on 07th Expansion's website.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:56   Link #96
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just saw the raw. I really don't have an issue with all the cuts since they could also wrap those up in the next arc, my bigger issue would be the contents of episode 5. I mean, is there even even enough content in the post-arc sections to last 20+ minutes? Maybe if they choose to gleefully animate the more... sadistic scenes.

The best possibility is that they could have Battler talk of the mising exposition scenes a little bit, and completely animate the VN dialogue for the post-arc scenes to fill up 24 minutes.

Will post more comments with the subs later.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-07-22 at 22:16.
Old 2009-07-22, 22:25   Link #97
MarthX

Quote:
Now what kind fan wouldn't want an adaption to be perfect? Or at least as close as possible to the original (or why call it an adaption in the first place?). Alas, If they did "try hard" then we will see, but Maria's expressions are a joke in comparison (ie they didn't try and though that big eyes and a big grin reflects the actual mood).
Unrealistic expectations. There's things called a budget and time restraints. The medium is also different. You can't have 20 minutes of nothing happening and expect the viewer to stick around. As a result, it's impossible to have a near perfect adaption. An anime adaption will always be a condensed version of the visual novel.

I don't believe someone who's played the visual novel can judge whether the atmosphere or pace are good. Because both will always be inferior to the VN. You need to hear what people who haven't played it think.
Old 2009-07-22, 22:30   Link #98
Avisch
Reality Blender

I'll commend DEEN
Spoiler for episode 04:

One crazy B****
Old 2009-07-22, 22:38   Link #99
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I don't believe someone who's played the visual novel can judge whether the atmosphere or pace are good. Because both will always be inferior to the VN. You need to hear what people who haven't played it think.
Hence why even as a novel reader I decided to stay out of the weekly discussion threads for the most part. To be truthful, the Umineko forum is almost poisonous to the enjoyment of the anime series.
Old 2009-07-22, 22:48   Link #100
Tomoya-kun
Live the life you love
*Author

Psycho Natsuhi scene needed to be longer!! But the rest was pretty good (except for the pacing in the first part and the part where George was crying, I'm sick of the boob/butt shots every 2 minutes).

Little Busters!
Closed Thread