AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-07-31, 18:19   Link #1
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Anime OAVs vs. Anime Series

As the title of my topic explains, I'm just trying to do a quick comparison between original animated videos (OAVs) and the anime series in particular (whatever it may be).

Now...I'm sure as many of you do that when it comes to an OAV of a series that you like, it seems to be almost like a separate story or sidestory to the series.

Take for example, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, in the opening sequence, you see a slight re-creation of the final battle in episode 50. The only slight difference in terms of the Gundams themselves is their appearance (except for DeathScythe and Nataku IMO [they still look the same]).

What do you guys think in terms of anime that have OAVs? Do you see it as an extension of the series or a separate story for the anime series?
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 18:23   Link #2
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It depends on what's being covered by the OVA. I consider Higurashi Rei an extension of the series, but I consider the Seto no Hanayome OVAs to be separate stories or extra stories.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 19:11   Link #3
Hurricanez
Air Class

Anime Series is really good. but i dislike is like this.

Toradora episode is only 25 because of manga.

i know i read that manga before.
Spoiler for Toradora light novel ending:

but i read that manga is not actual one. its a writing manga and a bit of image.

Last edited by xris; 2009-08-01 at 06:18.
Hurricanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 20:29   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

I find it rather difficult to answer your question as that it varies. Sometimes, the ova are just spinoff of the main series, while other times its somewhat of a sequel. And there are also times in which it plays the role of either fanservice or a possible remake by picking an alternate route if the story originates from visual novels.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 23:16   Link #5
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Most OVAs that are based off of anime series seem to generally be extensions of the series. Sometimes you'll even get some prequel material in there. As mentioned above though it really does depend on the OVA. In terms of actual animation and visual appearance, OVAs usually (though not always) look better due to higher budgets and less time constraints.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 23:25   Link #6
Cirrostratucat
絶対領域

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirrostratucat
I think almost all OVA out there have better visual animation compared with the TV series. However not all of them are an extension, sometimes the ova are just side story, spin-off, or even doesn't make sense at all (at least to me). Usually I found that they make the ova for the purpose to explain/sequel/prequel based from the manga version of that series.
Cirrostratucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 01:13   Link #7
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
An OVA is called an OVA because it is NOT airing on television. That's what the initials mean in the first place.

By extension, OVAs are far more expensive to produce and have much better directing than tv series because they do not have fixed weekly airings. For the same reason their sales are also far lower and it is not profitable to make them if a fan base is not already established. That is why they usually make them as side stories of already famous series.

Another thing to notice is that OVAs are not afraid to show nasty things. Unlike tv series where anyone may see something offensive by just zapping the tv and sue some tv station, OVAs are watched only by individuals, so sex and gore are hardly censored.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 06:02   Link #8
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanez View Post
Anime Series is really good. but i dislike is like this.

Toradora episode is only 25 because of manga.

i know i read that manga before. its true that Ryuuji and Taiga are XXXXXXXX XX XXX XXX.

but i read that manga is not actual one. its a writing manga and a bit of image.
I think you mean "light novel"... and umm... about what happens to Ryuuji and Taiga in the future (after the anime), I think you need to hide it in a SPOLER tag there ..
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote