AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-07, 21:32   Link #21
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I missed the classic Mushroom spaceship of their's.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-07 at 23:27.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 23:06   Link #22
Lost Cause

Sign me up for another tour of duty! I was hoping they would do a "Space Seed" reboot, but this might do nicely! Besides its nice to see that Starfleet HQ isn't invulnerable after all!

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2012-12-08 at 11:45.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 00:52   Link #23
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If this is what I think it is, they went way back in the series to grab this plot and set of characters. Nearly to the beginning.
Old 2012-12-08, 01:13   Link #24
GundamFan0083

I agree, it would seem that JJ has gone back to "where no man has gone before."
Old 2012-12-08, 01:55   Link #25
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which means in some respects, the first film was a "repalcement" for "The Cage" and this is the second pilot.

Though I hope they don't try to remake all the episodes. At least in movies. Some where dull, but also there are 79 episodes.
Old 2012-12-08, 02:16   Link #26
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Though I hope they don't try to remake all the episodes. At least in movies. Some where dull, but also there are 79 episodes.
Isn't it supposed to be a trilogy?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 03:23   Link #27
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Everything is a trilogy these days, even the trilogies.
Old 2012-12-08, 03:25   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know if it is a trilogy (as in three movies that follow a story arc), more than it is just three films that might only have the characters in common with each other. And that is just the contracts for the actors really. If they want to make more they need new contracts.
Old 2012-12-08, 03:44   Link #29
CrazyPerson

Right now, people have been betting on Gary Mitchell or Kahn, despite Abrams saying it's not Kahn. Outside money is suggesting Garth of Izar of Gary Seven.

Lots of little hints for Mitchell though. Elizabeth Dehner comparison from the TOS episode compared to the girl from the trailer is one big one. The Japanese trailer also suggest that the power of love would save humanity backs this theory. Some tie-in comics that predate the second movie kills of Mitchell, with a torpedo send off like Spock had in the prime universe.

However, also in the new trailer is a nice shot of hand on glass. which is teasing of Kahn. But Kahn has been denied up and down.

Karl Urban has said that is was Gary Mitchell, but Orci has strongly denied it. Random theorizing suggests that Urban made a mistake in the name, that it's actually Gary Seven and not Mitchell.

Official plot synopsis mention epic chess battles, but that can actually support all four characters.

So what does everyone here thing? Mitchell seems very likely.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 04:02   Link #30
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Of the people that would be in a Starfleet uniform...of the known TOS characters, there are basically two people it could be that would have powers. Gary Mitchell, or Garth of Izar (though in TOS he had only learned shape shifting really).

An random outside though a friend of my had to day was Charlie Evens ("Charlie X").

Gary Seven's job was to make sure humanity survived its nuclear era and such things.

We are trying to write off Kahn as he didn't particularly have power...he was just a "superman" so to speak. Genetically enhanced.

But whoever this is can either shrug off a Vulcan Neck Pinch, or it doesn't work on him at all. That almost screams Godlike powers Gary Mitchell.

The blonde could be either Elizabeth Dehner (fits with Mitchell's story) or Carol Marcus (who, oddly enough also fit with Mitchell's story...as the little blonde he sent Kirk's way). Though I can't remember if Carol Marcus was in Starfleet in those days, or if she was always outside Starfleet. Dehner was definately Starfleet and serving on Enterprise in the second pilot.

The hand on glass scene we came up with a few things. One the probably Spock is on the outside of the glass, not the inside. Thus if they wanted to play a prequel or different variant of the Star Trek II death scene, they have options (aside from the main villain character which is also possible if it is Gary Mitchell...the scene he gets powers might have them think he's dead or something).

Option One: Kirk dies (that would be different, and mirror the old version prefectly).

Option Two: Pike, and his hard dose of Delta Radiation...leaving him in the chair by films end. This would "foreshadow" Spock's death in the Wrath of Kahn even if that never happens in this timeline.

Option Three (from above): Mitchell "dies".
Old 2012-12-08, 04:03   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not sure why Gary Seven would go evil ... Mitchell seems more likely given the trailer but its so early I'm just speculating as much as anyone.

edit: posted as Ithekro posted ... several of his options sound promising.
Old 2012-12-08, 10:31   Link #32
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm not so certain of the Mitchell theory. Everything about that trailer just screams Khan. But, being alternate universe now....it's possible we'll get some kind of mashup between Mitchell and Khan, or something new entirely. It's possible the whole trailer is loaded with red herrings too. The Mitchell theory is the most likely one, but man....that Khan teaser just makes me wonder.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:10   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm leaning most towards red herrings galore at the moment. They're consciously creating this kind of buzz
Old 2012-12-08, 15:31   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hopefully those that see the first nine minutes will at least know who that guy is.
Old 2012-12-11, 16:21   Link #35
CrazyPerson

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/10/alic...d-robot-visit/

So the supposed place holder name "John Harrison" isn't actually a placeholder. The main baddie will be someone called John Harrison apparently. So the whole "villan will be a previously existing character" is a red herring. The producers will be explaining why they've changed things tomorrow.

Oh, the Elizabeth Dehner lookalike? That's Carol Marcus. Red herrings galore.

Anyway, article has lots of other news too.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 17:23   Link #36
james0246

Here's the full trailer (shown in theatres):

There are some strong Wrath references (Chekov being mentioned during Pike's monologue concerning Kirk's pride and lack of humility (it doesn't help that Chekov is wearing the red suit ), and the big one, seemingly Kirk and Spock's hand, separated by glass, about to touch...there could be others, but they are the two that stuck out for me). Whether Cumberbatch is Khan or not is almost inconsequential to me, this just looks like fun . I will admit that the trailer is a now somewhat standard 'dark sequel' style trailer, but it still seems fairly epic in size and scope, with lots of actual star trekking across the universe.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 18:50   Link #37
Samari
World's Greatest

Meh. We will see. If they repeat Spock's death in this film I think that will be extremely lazy. And the same goes if the bad guy is actually Khan himself.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 19:19   Link #38
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I wasn't really impressed with 2010 and I'd rather not judge it beforehand, but the trailer just feels extremely generic as the first film.

With very few exceptions, Star Trek was never suited for the large screen, and most movies ended up being dumbed down wannabe action thrillers in space. II, IV, VI were good. The TNG movies were pretty much trash outside of First Contact and that was only due to the action. Of these, only II and VI feature solid storytelling. I'm not saying that Trek was some kind of magical philosophical and deep tv show and consider Roddenberry in TNG to be a hack, but I just feel it's a series that works better across a television series so you got to know the characters better. Trek is a character driven series, after all, and the original cast as portrayed in 2010 just don't seem like I'd get attached to them if any of them died.

But I really preferred Ds9 out of all of them... TOS is nice but I don't have any interest in rehashing it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 02:51   Link #39
Samari
World's Greatest

I wonder if this new Star Trek film is actually going to have the crew of the Enterprise actually exploring instead of just taking down another bad guy.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 04:14   Link #40
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I think that's a big reason why it's hard to make Star Trek movies work on the big screen.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote