AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-06-27, 08:56   Link #361
Soverence

Well it looks like Lecavalier is being bought out of his contract by the lightning, kind of surprising to me at least. Rumors say Toronto is a possibility, Rumors also say if Letang doesn't get a extension with the Penguins that he wants to go to Toronto, so if everything falls in place Toronto could get a big boost in man power over this off-season.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 09:03   Link #362
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
At this point in his career, Lecavalier is a very good 2nd line center, and he'll probably be that for a few more years.

The problem was that the Lightning were paying him 1st line superstar money, and for several more years. On the whole, it just wasn't worth it. The cap hit-to-actual value difference was just too extreme, and would have been particularly nasty in 2 or 3 years time.
Old 2013-06-27, 14:28   Link #363
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Using Toronto as a negotiation ploy all out of sudden?

Lecavalier, although I would like to see him with the Habs instead of small-height Tomas Plekanec or David Desharnais as our main centermen, would fit quite well in Vancouver right now with Torts as the new boss over there.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 10:10   Link #364
Soverence

looks like letang turned down another offer of around 7.3 million for 8 years from the penguins, its looking like unless one side is willing to compromise, he is going to be traded elsewhere.
Old 2013-06-28, 16:46   Link #365
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Using Toronto as a negotiation ploy all out of sudden?

Lecavalier, although I would like to see him with the Habs instead of small-height Tomas Plekanec or David Desharnais as our main centermen, would fit quite well in Vancouver right now with Torts as the new boss over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
looks like letang turned down another offer of around 7.3 million for 8 years from the penguins, its looking like unless one side is willing to compromise, he is going to be traded elsewhere.
I agree with both of these posts. The Penguins can't afford to pay a D-man over 8 million a year when they already have Crosby and Malkin's contracts to deal with.

And yeah, I'd welcome Lecavalier on the Habs as long as they moved out DD to make room for him. Pleks/Lecavalier/Chucky would be an awesome 1-2-3 punch at center for the next two to three years.
Old 2013-06-29, 23:04   Link #366
Soverence

So we have the draft going on tomorrow, any idea what picks could be made and what trades could be made tomorrow?

The bruins want to get back into the first round rumors say, so the question is how they plan on getting back in with the players and picks that they currently have.

Also, the fact the penguins still don't have a deal with Letang means he could be traded for a pick, say a top 5 maybe?
Old 2013-06-30, 23:52   Link #367
DarkJak2050

Well, one of the biggest things to talk about that happened during this year's draft is Vancouver trading Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for a first round Draft pick.

It happened right before New Jersey's turn at their first round pick. It caught everybody off guard. Even Cory was unaware of it untill the very last minute.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 00:19   Link #368
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
Well, one of the biggest things to talk about that happened during this year's draft is Vancouver trading Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for a first round Draft pick.

It happened right before New Jersey's turn at their first round pick. It caught everybody off guard. Even Cory was unaware of it untill the very last minute.
It makes sense for Jersey. With Brodeur now 41 years old, and clearly nearing retirement, the Devils where in bad need of a new No. 1 to take the reigns very soon. Schneider gives them one of the very best under-30 goalies in the entire league. He's probably more valuable to them than anybody they could have selected 9th overall.

As for Vancouver, I guess they just couldn't get anything for Luongo, and decided that Luongo and a good prospect (9th overall) was better for them than Schneider alone.
Old 2013-07-02, 12:23   Link #369
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It makes sense for Jersey. With Brodeur now 41 years old, and clearly nearing retirement, the Devils where in bad need of a new No. 1 to take the reigns very soon. Schneider gives them one of the very best under-30 goalies in the entire league. He's probably more valuable to them than anybody they could have selected 9th overall.

As for Vancouver, I guess they just couldn't get anything for Luongo, and decided that Luongo and a good prospect (9th overall) was better for them than Schneider alone.
For the Devils it is a steal in my opinion, they now have themselves covered at goalie for the foreseeable future (assuming nothing dramatically changes in Schneider). And all they had to give up was a single first round pick, to me it was a steal for them.

For the Canucks though, I find this to be a bad move, not because getting the 9th pick was bad but because Luongo stated so much that he wanted out of there that I feel like they have created a lot of needless internal issues. I know as you said they might not have been able to get a lot for him, but I am sure they could have still gotten something good out of it and avoided the internal issues at the same time.
Old 2013-07-02, 20:01   Link #370
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Lecavalier signed with the Philadelphia Flyers... when that team still has no goalie. What the hell is Paul Holmgren telling to the players to lure them there despite being stuck more or less in the same spot in every year (the lack of goalie killing them in the playoffs)?
Old 2013-07-02, 21:56   Link #371
Soverence

Quote:
Lecavalier signed with the Philadelphia Flyers... when that team still has no goalie. What the hell is Paul Holmgren telling to the players to lure them there despite being stuck more or less in the same spot in every year (the lack of goalie killing them in the playoffs)?
You gonna get to punch stuff.
Old 2013-07-02, 23:27   Link #372
justavisitor

a lot of weird trade/signing lately

Schneider, the supposedly no.1 goaltender, turns out to be no better than a 9th overall first round pick

How can penguin keep the core when Letang becomes another player that earns 7.25 million a year?

Flyers just basically goes through some trial and error. They let Briere go and now they try the new experiment with Lecavalier

Oh well, none of them are my favorite team so they can do all the weird moves they want XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 23:48   Link #373
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
You gonna get to punch stuff.
I'm only puzzled at how so many players fall for God knows what kind of lure with Holmgren, but they keep ending up with the Flyers with those bizarre contracts and it's always the same story (no goalie). They just bought out Daniel Brière's contract for what I can remember.
Old 2013-07-02, 23:53   Link #374
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Maybe nobody else was willing to give him that 5-year term.

The price is fine (Lecavalier is worth a $4.5 million cap hit), but that term is a bit long for a declining forward at 33 years of age.

I'm almost glad the Habs didn't get him at that term. However, I'm a bit disappointed. It is a good cap hit for what he brings right now.

But yeah - Holmgren must have a great sales pitch. He's good at landing high-profile UFAs.
Old 2013-07-03, 00:02   Link #375
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Maybe nobody else was willing to give him that 5-year term.

The price is fine (Lecavalier is worth a $4.5 million cap hit), but that term is a bit long for a declining forward at 33 years of age.

I'm almost glad the Habs didn't get him at that term. However, I'm a bit disappointed. It is a good cap hit for what he brings right now.

But yeah - Holmgren must have a great sales pitch. He's good at landing high-profile UFAs.
And I thought the Flyers would not dare trying the same thing with Lecavalier as they did with Brière. The funniest thing that could happen now is Philly signing Tim Thomas, overweight and out of shape.

At the most, he would have been worth 3 years of contract (plus 1 year option). Just like you, I'm a bit disappointed. But I guess the story with Erik Cole (quite a shame on how it ended when he was great the year before) got Marc Bergevin a little more careful when trying to sign contracts with players of that age.
Old 2013-07-04, 15:04   Link #376
Triple_R
*Author

So what do people think of the Seguin/Eriksson trade?

Biggest trade I've seen in a very long time.
Old 2013-07-04, 16:00   Link #377
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
So what do people think of the Seguin/Eriksson trade?

Biggest trade I've seen in a very long time.
To me, the Bruins' GM must be out of his mind (no disrespect, Soverance) to trade the key of the Phil Kessel trade because he and/or someone else upstairs was not patient enough with him... unless it's a money issue because of that upcoming 6-year contract. I watched him play during the playoffs and there's no way I can blast a player of his age at all although he didn't score. Still, it's a display of very little faith in the future of a team when the guy only knew the Bruins in his career. On the other hand, no one can tell whether or not Loui Eriksson (a natural Dallas Stars product) would fit into the Bruins' system considering how Jagr was heavily criticized for not finding his groove.

Tomorrow is the first day of the free agency market. I can't wait to see how things will unfold.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-07-04 at 16:44.
Old 2013-07-04, 19:11   Link #378
Triple_R
*Author

Eriksson is a very good player, but I'm inclined to agree with you. I think the Bruins will probably regret this trade in a few years time.
Old 2013-07-04, 23:41   Link #379
Soverence

Quote:
Eriksson is a very good player, but I'm inclined to agree with you. I think the Bruins will probably regret this trade in a few years time.
My thought about this trade is that the Bruins are throwing away their chance at a future, to attempt to win the cup now. I feel like at this moment, right now, Eriksson is a better player then Seguin but in the long run Seguin will be a better player. But the problem is, a lot of the Bruins key players are starting to get older. The Bruins do have a lot of talented people coming up, but there is no way to know if those talented people will become star level players or not that are usually needed to win the Cup. Bruins got 5 or 6 more years were all their players are in their prime, but after that it is hard to say what the team will look like.

Also another point to make on this trade, I am not sure if they plan to use him or not (Probably not, considering his age), but adding Matt Fraiser from the trade as well gave the Bruins a right wing that at this time they really kind of needed. Before they got him, the only other right wing currently on the team is Shawn Thornton. I am going to assume they will get some more right wings in free agency, but who knows. EDIT: Well it seems Eriksson will be going to right wing so I guess that fills that problem quite nicely.

Also a quick comment on Jagr, I believe he did great for the time that the Bruins had him and I don't know what people could complain about. Yes, he didn't score in the playoffs, but the amount of time he controlled the puck, set up big players, and played good defense was well worth what they gave up for him. He was the main reason the Bruins powerplay was able to do anything in the later rounds of the playoffs.

Last edited by Soverence; 2013-07-05 at 10:09.
Old 2013-07-19, 21:15   Link #380
DarkJak2050

An agreement has been settled for all parties.

The NHL's best are going to Sochi, Russia!
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, hockey, nhl, playoffs, stanley cup