Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-11-03, 23:29   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Needing good slice of life like Tari Tari

Hello AS.

Some of you may know me frequenting some anime threads, others may know me from my fanfiction.

I'm currently on what is commonly referred to as "writer's block". Basically not knowing what to write and not wanting to sit down to think.

I'm working on what I decided will be my attempt at a slice of life light novel. While characters and setting are all fleshed out in paper already, I don't trust my writing to really do it justice.

And since that is my problem, I'm looking for Slice of Life like Tari Tari so that I can inspire myself to write some more fanfiction about said manga/anime and get more experience in a way, and to do my idea of a light novel justice.

Suggestions?

Cheers

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 00:15   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Hanasaku Iroha is a two cour Tari Tari with higher peaks, but also lower valleys, imo. It has a bit more romance than Tari Tari, and a bit more drama, but a large chunk of its episodes have a definite SoL feel. HSI is definitely the first show I would recommend to any big Tari Tari fan that hasn't seen HSI yet.

Tamayura (both Hitotose and More Aggressive) is a very heartwarming show with a nice SoL feel in many of its episodes.

Hyouka's mysteries are taken somewhat seriously, but I think the show still manages to have a decent SoL feel at times. Hyouka also has a good male/female mix with its cast.
Old 2013-11-04, 01:37   Link #3
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think it also depends on whether you're looking for the "mono no aware" aspect of the "classic" Slice of Life definition too, aka the appreciation of transientness of things. In that case, YKK and ARIA immediately leap to mind as foremost examples of this.

You need to add some more qualifiers to this, like oh, "Not based on a 4koma", etc.
Old 2013-11-04, 02:37   Link #4
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I haven't watched the full anime (it's in limbo currently), but Tari Tari doesn't quite strike me as a slice-of-life, unlike the quintessentially SoL anime that Myssa Rei mentioned. But nobody can agree on that definition anyway.

If you're looking for light drama shows about high school-level teens similar to Tari Tari, I recommend you Love Live and Free.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 06:47   Link #5
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

RRR reminded me that i have to finish HSI. Hyouka was nice but the detective subplot ruined it for me. The rest i'll give a shot.

Cheers

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 17:20   Link #6
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Tamayura (both Hitotose and More Aggressive) is a very heartwarming show with a nice SoL feel in many of its episodes.
Don't forget Aria. If you're going to point out Tamayura you have to remember it's ancestor. Both are great SOL shows even if the older show takes the crown imho.

I'd also add Hidamari Sketch in the pure SOL category but Shinbou's art style tends to be polarizing.
Old 2013-11-12, 18:15   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Sketchbook Full Colors is another nice one imo. ^^
Old 2013-11-12, 18:58   Link #8
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

I highly recommend Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!. One of the best in the SOL/"School is closing down we should do something together" genre. All-star seiyuu cast + Ufotable animation is a nice bonus.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 00:03   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Sora no Manimani might also be a good choice if you are looking for something like Tari Tari.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 20:14   Link #10
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think it also depends on whether you're looking for the "mono no aware" aspect of the "classic" Slice of Life definition too, aka the appreciation of transientness of things. In that case, YKK and ARIA immediately leap to mind as foremost examples of this.

You need to add some more qualifiers to this, like oh, "Not based on a 4koma", etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Don't forget Aria. If you're going to point out Tamayura you have to remember it's ancestor. Both are great SOL shows even if the older show takes the crown imho.

I'd also add Hidamari Sketch in the pure SOL category but Shinbou's art style tends to be polarizing.
Aria and YKK are my favorite SOLs, though Aria wins for me. Aria seconded.
Old 2013-11-14, 17:31   Link #11
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

If we're talking about slice of life with no particular direction, Fall 2013's Non Non Biyori is shaping up to be an enjoyable anime