AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-12, 17:25   Link #41
sarpal
AnY Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
AonE-AnY just released the MKV version. Knowing them, it's likely they will release an AVI version later on.
At this point, we have no plans to release an AVI version.
sarpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 17:27   Link #42
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpal View Post
At this point, we have no plans to release an AVI version.
Aww, I see. Whatever works for the groups I guess.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 18:48   Link #43
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

We decided to do softsubs in H.264, thus the mkv-only release. Frankly, none of the stuff I do in the future will be avi anymore, and I can't think of credible reasons for needing it.

The resolution is small and should play on older pcs. Decoding power is not an issue.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 18:51   Link #44
Westlo
Lets be reality

Happy to see a sub out, thanks to the people at aone and animeyuki!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 21:10   Link #45
Zippicus

I just finished up the 1st episode, this show looks pretty watchable. It's got a pretty interesting feel to it that's not too similar to anything I've seen in a while. I'm looking forward to future releases.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 22:23   Link #46
nanafan
horo fan

wow i am liking this show already, i like ryoko she's awesome and her subordinate(can't remember the name )
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 01:02   Link #47
wao
OK.

So I decided to check the first episode out on a whim and was pleasantly surprised

I haven't read any of Yoshiki Tanaka's novels although I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy them, so I don't know the original story behind this at all but I did check out the site and some promo materials before the show aired - I had low expectations because at least the first 2 stories would be original material by a writer I'm not that fond of, and the animation studio is Dogakobo which afaik has been doing only subcontractor work - I think this is one of their first, if not the first, major anime that they are doing the actual production of.

Therefore I was actually quite surprised by the animation - frankly speaking it outclasses Natsume Yuujinchou, which I watched just a while earlier, and had expected better animation from considering I expected a return of the Baccano staff and maybe some Satelight folks. Here although in general nothign stood out, they could've cut a lot more corners with some of the movements people made in response to things. I'm guessing it's thanks to the work of Dogakobo animator Junichiro Taniguchi.

More importantly than that though, the story and characters are actually interesting!!!11 Amazing.
I've never been personally fond of characters like Ryoko, but I was thoroughly entertained by her and Izumida - I love the way she pulls off her personality without feeling forced in the least bit. I think her seiyuu Hitomi Nabatame should be thanked for that too... I way, way prefer older characters of this sort compared to say Haruhi or Sheryl (I don't quite hate them, but with that kind of personality, I'm less likely to get annoyed once said characters grow older)

It's refreshing to have a proper city feeling in the anime (ironically since I usually like watching anime to get away from the city) and to hear actually interesting conversations peppered with barbs and references to things like the Ginza height limit and how whatshisname ignored it when building that complex

Whatever it is at least the first episode didn't feel like a drag to watch at all, which is much more than I can say for a lot of other first episodes out there... Hopefully the second episode delivers somewhat even if I'm guessing the animation will take a severe dip sooner or later but I hope the direction doesn't... not too much, at least.

edit: if I have one complaint though, the music felt a bit cheesy sometimes - I dunno, even if one of the music writers for the show is KATSU from angela, some of the synth BGM just felt totally out of place... sort of.
And well sure, the show could go further and be a little more subtle in places but I'm watching an anime for god's sake, I don't demand such high quality most of the time >:/
Old 2008-07-13, 02:33   Link #48
kujoe
from head to heel

Even though I'm not familiar with the novels, I can already tell that this is my kind of show with my kind of characters.

The intro is simple enough, but I think its city vibe, jazzy approach is precisely what sets the tone of the entire series as a whole. Some shows like to ooze with style, others with charm. This one on the other hand, likes to display class instead.

I admit that as a character, Ryoko hits all my weak spots. My favorite scene in the first episode has to be the one where Ryoko is shopping with Izumida. I love how their personalities play against each other. In fact, I think these characters become even more interesting when they interact with one another. Ryoko's reaction to Izumida supposedly receiving a note from Yukiko brought a smile to my face as well.

All in all, a good first episode. And well, Hitomi Nabatame and Houko Kuwashima lending their talents to this anime is just more icing on the cake for me.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 03:07   Link #49
wao
OK.

Yeah, I just watched episode 2 and I think I'm pretty sure I'm going to watch this till the end. I might still wait till episode 5 to see whether I'd do that if it was a 24-26 episode anime but I don't think they could get too draggy with 1 season so... yeah.

The conclusion of the original storyline here may have been so-so but honestly I've seen much, much worse in other anime and the way they've presented it nothing really felt that out-of-place or contrived. Thumbs up. And the animation hasn't suddenly gone to the dogs either! (Guess there's always still next episode to check out)

Most importantly it's so fun watching Ryoko and Izumida. Pardon my awfully shallow and frivolous thoughts but it's like watching Haruhi and Kyon together, except a little more interesting (I guess sometimes it's a bit tiring watching young people all the time... which isn't what I should say seeing that I'm not that old even )
I have to mention I thought it might possibly make later parts of the show more interesting if they didn't
Spoiler for ep 2:

edit: Also I'm wondering if Takashi Mukouda did the explosion near the end, that was just lovely animation

Last edited by wao; 2008-07-13 at 03:34.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 06:02   Link #50
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Premise: The first episode was just as I expected it to be and so it was really enjoyable.

But! I regret to say that the intro and ending songs are, imo, just rubbish; and lately there haven't been any jazz songs that were a little bit enjoyable, the recent Code-E is no exception, the only one who managed to achieve his goal with this kind of music is Baccano!, and we have to go back to Bebop (I think) for other good examples of jazz music in animes.
However this doesn't undermine the series, in fact, there a lot of good sides, such as: the animation, which I think was pretty good (given the studio) and the characters. Ryouko is beautiful woman in career, she knows what she wants, plus she is smart and cunning, I love the way she does her job, a little laid-back but she doesn't miss anything; Junichirou at first sight seems an average subordinate, but he knows how to kick ass too, they sure are a good pair.
About the story: it seems this series will be episodic and if the other episodes are like the first, it will be a good watch on this side too. It might become like Himitsu or Golgo 13, which are two awesome series to alternate with other more complicate ones.
I'll be sure to follow this until the end.
Old 2008-07-13, 07:18   Link #51
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
you and me both, I hate Real Player with passion (second only to Quicktime, on par with Windows Media Player) so I really don't want to have to keep downloading Chinses fansubs, despise the fact it is easier for me read the subtitle. (I know some Japanese, but not great).
You may try Storm Codec, I currently use it play almost anything (rmvb, avi, mkv, and etc.). Also, those cn subgroups tend to release avi format a day or two after their first rmvb release. If you don't like rmvb, you only need wait about one day to get cn subs in avi format, which is still faster than en subs most of time.
Old 2008-07-13, 09:34   Link #52
Westlo
Lets be reality

Was a pretty good first episode, will definitely be following the rest of the series, Ryoko and Izumida look like being a fun pair to watch.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 13:11   Link #53
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes, ep2 really moved nicely and looked good. As with Daughter of Twenty-faces, you have to be ready for some miraculous escapes, but that's okay. And the mistress-slave relationship is quite rich. Good work by both Nabatame Hitomi and Kiuchi Hidenobu (Ren in NANA, Hei in Darker than Black). Kuwashima Houko still seems a bit over the top as the other investigator, but I'm sure we will get used to the style as we see more of her.

And tigerwoods, have you heard the OP for Crystal Blaze? That was as close to jazz as I've heard in an anime recently. This OP seems fairly stale to me, too. This anime seems a lot more interesting, however.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-07-13 at 13:23.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 13:40   Link #54
kujoe
from head to heel

For some reason, this anime brings me back to the days of Cat's Eye and Lupin III.

You can probably include City Hunter somewhere there, but I haven't seen that one so I'm not really that sure about it.
Old 2008-07-13, 14:13   Link #55
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I read the summary and accoring to it it combines my two favorite genres supernatural and mystery . So I am definately going to watch this
Old 2008-07-13, 14:31   Link #56
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And tigerwoods, have you heard the OP for Crystal Blaze? That was as close to jazz as I've heard in an anime recently. This OP seems fairly stale to me, too. This anime seems a lot more interesting, however.
Yes, I listened to it, but only once, because after the second episode I dropped the show (I didn't have enough time to keep up); so I don't really remember the song, and this might be because it wasn't so good, maybe I'll check it out again.
However, as I said, I don't mind the intro and ending sequence too much as long as the show is a good one (and this one seems to be so).
Old 2008-07-13, 17:14   Link #57
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I have to mention I thought it might possibly make later parts of the show more interesting if they didn't
Spoiler for ep 2:
Actually, I think that scene --

Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-13, 19:52   Link #58
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Yeah, I just watched episode 2 and I think I'm pretty sure I'm going to watch this till the end. I might still wait till episode 5 to see whether I'd do that if it was a 24-26 episode anime but I don't think they could get too draggy with 1 season so... yeah.

The conclusion of the original storyline here may have been so-so but honestly I've seen much, much worse in other anime and the way they've presented it nothing really felt that out-of-place or contrived. Thumbs up. And the animation hasn't suddenly gone to the dogs either! (Guess there's always still next episode to check out)

Most importantly it's so fun watching Ryoko and Izumida. Pardon my awfully shallow and frivolous thoughts but it's like watching Haruhi and Kyon together, except a little more interesting (I guess sometimes it's a bit tiring watching young people all the time... which isn't what I should say seeing that I'm not that old even )
Spoiler for ep 2:

edit: Also I'm wondering if Takashi Mukouda did the explosion near the end, that was just lovely animation

That's the best part in the novels, the novel made it clear to the reader that Ryoko (and to some extent Yukiko as well) is interested in Junichiro romantically and pretty much throw herself at him (in Royko-sama's unique way), But Junichiro is simply too dense when it comes to women.

And becuase the novels are told through Junichiro's point of view, you get to see how Junichiro thought of these advances by Ryoko and a lot of time he just brush them off as pranks by a spoilered, unreasonable boss who happens to be one of the most influencial and powerful figure in the country if she wanted to be. He also thinks these advances are just ways for Ryoko to torture and mess with him.

Also another cool part aobut the series is that Junichiro is far from useless, while he is not an elite CAREER like Ryoko and Yukiko, he himself is an elite NON-CAREER officer, it's stated in the noel that he is one of the best hand-to-hand fighter in the Police HQ and while he isn't as knowledgeable as Ryoko, he has his own sources for info and most of his deduction and theories are pretty close to the truth if not dead on.

Any way, I was keeping track of the torrent, and I was pretty happy to see the fact that it consistently having over 700 seeders/leechers, it shows that episode one is doing pretty well on its own for a new series woth a reletively unkown source outside of Eastern Asia. Considering that while Tanaka is perhaps the most popular Sci-fi/fantasy writer in Eastern Asia and his Legend of Galactic Hero was consider Eastern culture's answer to Star War, he novels has not made it outside of Eastern Asia. Most manga/anime fans might only know him from Heroic Legend of Arslan, when Lodass War was the hot stuff back then, and even that was over ten years ago. So I'm really glad to see people actually enjoys the first episode.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 20:24   Link #59
wao
OK.

Regarding the original novel: Oh I see! Okay, thank you very much for the information. If the premise is from the beginning that Ryoko practically throws herself at Izumida then I'm fine with it - I was just worried that things were heating up a bit too soon and whether they were mucking around with things. If there's even greater stuff coming up though then it's okay

I like how he's definitely on a different level from Ryoko as well - his background and upbringing show, but like you said, he is far from incapable. I get the feeling Ryoko and Izumida are worthy of each other (even if Ryoko is "above" Izumida). And that is always a very nice thing to see.

kujoe: Yikes, you might be right :O Now that you mention it... But still, I can't see Ryoko really doing that scene in the beginning of episode 1 without some serious mind-fscking or a screwed up situation. Who knows what happens though.
Izumida, do your job!
Old 2008-07-13, 21:41   Link #60
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Kinda cool!

But I had a hard time reading the subs on one part when Ryoko confronted the guards outside the building. Ah the shame... I'm using VLC and the Media Player Classic wouldn't work on the Vista.

Still looking forward for Junichiro to kick butt. I think it's shown Ryoko was jealous when the fake message came from Muromachi.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supernatural