AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 9.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 3.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 5.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 4.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 11 3.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 167 59.22%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-24, 12:26   Link #381
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I actually buy DVDs, I buy all the Kyoani DVDs, I imported limited edition Clannad DVDs, because I like to support the studio that makes what I think is excellent anime and I like the extras on imports that we don't get here. I would have very likely bought the dvds for these new Haruhi episodes too if I thought they were any good.

I liked the first season and it's out of order airing because I thought they did that to save the climax of the series for the last episode. I thought this was smart and I appreciated it because it kept me interested and gave me something to look forward to. The re-airing thing is just boring me(to understate it). It's bad anime IMO and I would not want to support this. What they have done with these past episodes, has made me feel dis-respected as a fan, it's almost as if they're saying, "Hey, we think you fans are idiots, we can make complete crap and you'll still buy our stuff!" But, there's a line you have to draw, and for me KyoAni clearly stepped over that line long ago. If this weren't Haruhi and it was a new anime coming out, I would have dropped this long ago. As I said before I like to support what I think is good anime, but this isn't good, I'm bored and slightly ticked off at what they did to a series I really enjoyed in the past and was looking forward to new episodes in the future. At this point I don't think they could even get me to buy the DVDs for this season with the good material(if there is any).

For those of you saying people who vote a 1 don't watch the episode. I still watched! I still find parts of the show like the pool part mildly entertaining. Or the part where Yuki catches the bug(Where was my new bug this episode?!) It's entertaining in the same way when I flip through an episode of Clannad just to watch an amusing scene from an episode I've already watched. I watched up until Mikuru's phone call, that part is awfully boring when the suspense is taken out, and I can't take anymore for the week after that. As for justification for my 1 rating, Mikuru with the towel was amusing, but I hardly think that warrants another whole point in the pole results. If it was that easy to get a higher rating, we'd have way too many highly rated shows. To me a 1 is basically someone's opinion of saying hey, this episode is completely, utterly, un-entertaining and meaningless, don't waste your time. Okay, so for the Mikuru towel I might give this episode like a 1.3, rounded down, it's a 1. This is the 6th episode, a 1 was more than well deserved by the 4th iteration I felt.

Also, a lot of you are complaining about how episodes should be graded individually, but I think you guys are mis-interpreting that. You still have to watch an episode in the context of the series and not just as one episode as if you'd never seen any of the other episodes. E.G. If you are rating a climax episode, you probably rate it in the context of the entire series. When you watch the climax of a story arc, what you feel wouldn't be possible without the build-up from previous episodes, you don't just completely disregard the previous episodes, you rate it based on how you feel when you are watching it.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:41   Link #382
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
...Comparison video, please? Or when/which credits?
Okay, so I went back and looked at this, and the layout has indeed changed a couple times. On the first batch of credits of the ED, the cast credits.

On the first two episodes of the re-launch (BLR and EE1), Kyon/Tomokazu Sugita is listed first. On the next three (I think), Haruhi/Aya-sama is listed first, separated a little from the others. On EE5, her name is elevated a little higher, and on EE6, the latest episode, it looks like it might be a tiny bit higher as well. I could be mistaken about this last difference.

I dunno why they changed it up. Maybe it's in Aya's contract that she has to be credited first, as the star and most moe cast member. :P It looks, by the way, that the flashing outlines of the characters in the beginning of the ED haven't changed since episode 3 of the re-launch. I remember someone pointed out that they were getting dimmer with each episode, and the speculation was that it was somehow in preparation for Disappearance. Of course, that was before Endless Eight robbed us of our collective innocence. I don't think the changes in the ending sequence or credits signify anything, but they are interesting to note.

And yeah, I have too much time on my hands today, but it's okay because I listened to the beginning of Tomare!, which I absolutely adore, several times.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:52   Link #383
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

And still....huh. Oh well, not like I expected anything anyway. I feel bad for the hardcore fans, all they get are some new clothes/crossdress off their chara's, some new lines, directing and shit. But still the same story, just different direction. But still the same however you look at it. Can someone please explain to me how to differentiate this EP from the earlier ones? Every freakin' EP feels the same no matter how they changed the direction, lines of the characters and etc. And it's boring. Rare word to describe for a haruhi franchise I'm pretty shocked myself.
Old 2009-07-24, 13:07   Link #384
Water
イデアがない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonomi View Post
Okay, so I went back and looked at this, and the layout has indeed changed a couple times. On the first batch of credits of the ED, the cast credits.

On the first two episodes of the re-launch (BLR and EE1), Kyon/Tomokazu Sugita is listed first. On the next three (I think), Haruhi/Aya-sama is listed first, separated a little from the others. On EE5, her name is elevated a little higher, and on EE6, the latest episode, it looks like it might be a tiny bit higher as well. I could be mistaken about this last difference.

I dunno why they changed it up. Maybe it's in Aya's contract that she has to be credited first, as the star and most moe cast member. :P It looks, by the way, that the flashing outlines of the characters in the beginning of the ED haven't changed since episode 3 of the re-launch. I remember someone pointed out that they were getting dimmer with each episode, and the speculation was that it was somehow in preparation for Disappearance. Of course, that was before Endless Eight robbed us of our collective innocence. I don't think the changes in the ending sequence or credits signify anything, but they are interesting to note.

And yeah, I have too much time on my hands today, but it's okay because I listened to the beginning of Tomare!, which I absolutely adore, several times.
I've realised that as well.

Perhaps that's a prognostication?
Old 2009-07-24, 13:11   Link #385
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I wonder how the VAs can tolerate doing this repetitively.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-07-24, 13:31   Link #386
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Probably the distinct *cha-ching* on the way to the bank.
Old 2009-07-24, 13:33   Link #387
chinaboat

Quote:
The story goes that the great Shakespearean actor Laurence Olivier while directing a play instructed a cast member to cross from right to left. The actor replied he didn't believe his character had a reason to cross at that moment and asked what the motivation would be: "The true motivation lies in the check you receive for doing it."

As a stage manager I've always liked that story.
Old 2009-07-24, 13:36   Link #388
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... I would've just said "the same way everyone else can do the same exact thing every day for years in their jobs."
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-24, 14:10   Link #389
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
And still....huh. Oh well, not like I expected anything anyway. I feel bad for the hardcore fans, all they get are some new clothes/crossdress off their chara's, some new lines, directing and shit. But still the same story, just different direction. But still the same however you look at it. Can someone please explain to me how to differentiate this EP from the earlier ones? Every freakin' EP feels the same no matter how they changed the direction, lines of the characters and etc. And it's boring. Rare word to describe for a haruhi franchise I'm pretty shocked myself.
I feels annoyed at the fact that....it's hard to enjoy the Ep when we basically memorised what would happens at which minute and for how long (even can time out if the ep gonna end early or late).
But then everytime i becomes tired listening over and over again of Itsuli and Kyon's discussion (on the park and on the roof) it strike me again that..... "heck....so this's really how you feel, Yuki"....... And it keeps repeating for each week, even the "so this's really how you feels" train thought......

I can endure more Endless Eight. I really can. But i want to be satisfied by the time this rerun finishes..... and now i have doubt if they can pull it off
Old 2009-07-24, 14:12   Link #390
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
They've had plenty of other roles besides this one, not to mention recording for songs, interviews, radio shows...I think a few recordings of Endless Eight is probably just a [metaphor for something tiny] in their daily schedules.
Old 2009-07-24, 14:25   Link #391
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I'm actually more curious why KyoAni bothered to re-dub a lot - A LOT - of verbatim lines.
Old 2009-07-24, 14:26   Link #392
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering that many actors do the same routine over and over again anyway, I don't think it would effect them that much. Stage actors repeat the exact same lines and scenes several times a week for months. Comedy teams redo the same skits over and over again, sometimes for decades. At least this time they repeated the lines they got paid for it rather than just being one take after another.

As for grading the episode, I look on the episode for its own merits...without the idea of the past or future episodes. How was just this episode? It wasn't all that good really. Average at best. Nothing really stood out all that much.
Itsuki was the one presenting a bug to Kyon.
They used a lot of continuity in scenes. Mikuru is still effected by being hit by the ball and I assume the chlorine in the pool while they are at the diner.
Haruhi and Mikuru return from goldfishing while Kyon and Yuki are at the mask stand and Itsuki has the fireworks for later.
Itsuki started to laugh at the end of the stargazing scene.
The episode ended well before the end of August 31st. It ended in the middle of the day.

That's about it.
Old 2009-07-24, 14:59   Link #393
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well to be fair they gave Kyon a more overt reaction to Itsuki's "proposal" to take Kyon's place in making Haruhi happy.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:04   Link #394
allengator

This episode was sub par compared to the other iterations, but the artwork itself wasn't too bad. The previous episode was the better of the arts. I don't care as long as they stay away from the K-On style. Something about that style mixing with Haruhi just doesn't sit well with me.

So after the infamous nature of this arc, I wonder if we should be asking "Who will license this in North America?" I mean more than likely Ban Dai will probably scoop up the rights again, but considering their recent moves they have made with releases, sub-only except for major/meant for kids franchises, if it would be a good thing. Considering the reaction on here, how many of us would buy DVD sets?

Also, I know most of the people on 2ch aren't being serious when they make blatant threats, but if someone carries one out I wouldn't know what to say. In the end, this is an anime, with fictional characters. There really is no reason to get that heated over it. I'm not saying people aren't allowed to be mad, but going that far just seems too extreme.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:30   Link #395
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

ANN's Comic-Con updates have stuff from the Bandai panel and there's a mention of the new Haruhi 'season.' Basically it's "classified." Also, there's mention in the comments that Bandai's really only looking to dub series with TV airing potential, but there's not a whole lot of anime that will get dubs if that's true. Good thing Funimation is still dubbing and I look forward to Eva 1.01 and Spice and Wolf later this year.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:53   Link #396
Demoned Away

Haha so it's another repeat?

I'm soooo glad I haven't started watching this yet~
Old 2009-07-24, 16:12   Link #397
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

yeh, a pretty useless episode except....

the part where Mikuru is hit and Kyon screams is funny
Old 2009-07-24, 17:13   Link #398
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Finally watched this episode...

The Good: I can honestly say I've enjoyed the swimming poll and Haruhi/Mikuru/Yuki dress up scenes in each and every iteration. However, I'm going to be honest - I enjoyed them almost purely for the sex appeal/cuteness on the part of our three leading ladies in skimpy swimwear or charming kimonos. So, it's not like a random Google image search couldn't have gotten me the same enjoyment. Aside from that, Itsuki's Olympic-calibre dive in a previous episode was nice, but alas, he's going for the hold-your-breath contest with Kyon this episode.

The art isn't K-ONified.

And... that's pretty much it for the good.

The Ugly (there is no bad - it's straight to ugly ) : I am genuinely, truly finding most of this painful now. Not just boring... painful. Looking at the same identical subtitle lines for the sixth time is like an unparalleled attack on the eyes. There were times when I actually skimmed away from the subtitle lines, it exasperated me so much to see those lines again.

I no longer feel the slightest bit of guilt in voting these episodes a 1. Their individual charm is now officially lost on me - I've just seen these lines too many times; it sincerely hurts to see them again at this point.

I will say that I've never been the sort of person to re-watch my favorite movies or shows a dozen times, or to replay my favorite RPG games a dozen times. I suppose for people who (presumably enjoyably) engage in such reptition, these Endless Eight episodes can be enjoyable. For me, personally - it's actually becoming painful. I'm actually at the point where I want to reach through the screen and hurt some of these characters... not Haruhi herself, because she's oblivious, but Kyon, Mikuru, and Itsuki... oh, how I'd love to play a 1st-person shooter with you three as targets.

Yuki gets a pass because she's clearly given up. That's the whole mood I got from her in this episode - not depression; but utter emotionally phased out acceptance of her hellish situation.

Well, my painful duty as a Haruhi fan is completed for this week.

I guess I'll be back here next week, same Endless Eight-time, same Endless Eight-channel!
Old 2009-07-24, 17:33   Link #399
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I did notice that Yuki was reading again in this episode. Reading what I don't know. She was reading instead of looking at the stars.
Old 2009-07-24, 17:36   Link #400
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ahah ... you can add Kyon-kun denwa +1 well , i think +50000 more .

Well , 2 more episodes for finally ending this crap arc ? endless "eight" means 8 episodes i guess .
Closed Thread