AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-03, 19:47   Link #1
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Koukou Debut!

Thought I'd make a post to advertise/start discussion on a manga I haven't heard to many people mention, Koukou Debut.

It is not licensed and is currently being translated by Boku-Tach ( http://www.boku-tachi.net ). The 6th volume is currently running in Japan and B-T has released up through v4c16 (although their site says 15 for whatever reason). The group does solid job scanning in terms of both quality and translation.

As for why I decided to make a thread about the series, this is one of the few shoujo mangas where you are able to share joy with the characters through out the entire series (as opposed to Keitaro/Naru of LH; for lack of better explination). Don't get me wrong; I'm a shoujo maniac and I love reading those grueling chapters building up for that intense climax...but it's nice to have things fall into place every once in awhile. I'm dying to elaborate on this but it's impossible without spoiling some great chapters. So for anyone that enjoys a good romance/shoujo...I know how hard it is to find good ones; read it!
Old 2006-05-04, 09:50   Link #2
Decel

I've read the first 3 volumes of KD but can't get to like it. The art is pretty realistic and somewhat varied, but what fails the most to me is that I cannot see the chemistry between the loving characters.

The Fuma/Assa relationship looks weak at best. I can clearly see Haruna's love for Yoh, but the opposite is just not there. The few scenes of Yoh staring at Haruna and/or blushing doesn't sell it.

I personally love Shounen/Seinen/Shoujo romance in manga form(I prefer to see action animated...), but this one doesn't sell it for me. As an example of comparison Skip Beat (the two volumes I've read so far) has no defined love relation (yet), but the chemistry is oozing out compared to Koukou.

I'm in the process of reading (or have read) most/all of the romance manga rated above 8 on Baka-Update(manga), but if you have other favourites that I could look into (currently in a glut of content), I would appreciate it
Old 2006-05-04, 11:35   Link #3
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

I checked it out too... I'm more of a Shonen love story reader in general and have been focusing on the I"s/Ichigo 100% style of stories mostly. Most Shojo is too ephemeral for me, but Koukou seemed like it was worth a look... It was a fun read for the first two volumes, (so far) but I also am not quite getting the connections. Its an amusing read though and feels more like a light soda pop sort of vibe as opposed to reading something that is weighty and complex.

I'll probably keep reading along for awhile anytime I need a quick reading and non-taxing entertainment.

Thanks for recommending it!
Old 2006-05-04, 11:54   Link #4
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi
I checked it out too... I'm more of a Shonen love story reader in general and have been focusing on the I"s/Ichigo 100% style of stories mostly. Most Shojo is too ephemeral for me, but Koukou seemed like it was worth a look... It was a fun read for the first two volumes, (so far) but I also am not quite getting the connections. Its an amusing read though and feels more like a light soda pop sort of vibe as opposed to reading something that is weighty and complex.

I'll probably keep reading along for awhile anytime I need a quick reading and non-taxing entertainment.

Thanks for recommending it!
Pastel/Parallel and Gacha Gacha are probably good titles for you to look into (if you haven't already that is) imo.
Old 2006-05-04, 12:22   Link #5
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel
Pastel/Parallel and Gacha Gacha are probably good titles for you to look into (if you haven't already that is) imo.
Thank you... I'll check them out!
Old 2006-05-04, 16:34   Link #6
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel
I've read the first 3 volumes of KD but can't get to like it. The art is pretty realistic and somewhat varied, but what fails the most to me is that I cannot see the chemistry between the loving characters.

The Fuma/Assa relationship looks weak at best. I can clearly see Haruna's love for Yoh, but the opposite is just not there. The few scenes of Yoh staring at Haruna and/or blushing doesn't sell it.

I personally love Shounen/Seinen/Shoujo romance in manga form(I prefer to see action animated...), but this one doesn't sell it for me. As an example of comparison Skip Beat (the two volumes I've read so far) has no defined love relation (yet), but the chemistry is oozing out compared to Koukou.

I'm in the process of reading (or have read) most/all of the romance manga rated above 8 on Baka-Update(manga), but if you have other favourites that I could look into (currently in a glut of content), I would appreciate it
/shrug, if you've already read through volume 3 and are feeling that way I guess that's probobly not gonna change. Everyone has their own opinion, though I'm liking the current relationship and don't really mind (yet) Yoh's lack of expression. I'll give you a PM and we can see if either is reading/has read something the other hasn't though
Old 2006-05-29, 07:04   Link #7
Sephyna
Silent Wanderer

Have you seen Koukou Debut-manga?

Hiya all! Many weeks ago I founded one lovely manga called Koukou Debut. First of all I thought it was one normal romance manga so I didn't care it much but when I started to read it carefully I founded that it was very intresting. Main characters were so lively and it was super fun to read this serie but...I only founded about 15 chapters to read. So I'm asking...

-Is there anymore of this serie?
-And where I might found it more?
(if it's licensed I would be really happy if you could tell me who did licensed it)

Sincerely Sephyna
Old 2007-04-21, 20:58   Link #8
Stellae
The Original

I'm working on scripts of Koukou Debut, if anyone is bored and wants to read them at my livejournal they're more than welcome to. It's kind of a learning experience for me, so if you see problems in the script or gaps let me know so I can fix them/fill them in!

Also, the Koukou Debut LJ Community is updated a lot and is helpful.
Old 2007-06-02, 13:47   Link #9
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I saw Alice Elliot's recommendation, so I nabbed the first three chapters... I think the storyline is interesting, but the style doesn't suit my taste.

An example of what kind of gets to me: on page 64 of chapter two, Yoh grabs the necklace and then snaps it and throws it away. But.. there was a blood spatter on the page? Eep, hope the wound heals quickly. And then on the very next page, Haruna bends over to retrieve it from the trash with the thought bubble, "I guess I'll take it as a memory."

The blood spatter was a one-time thing, but I feel like the comic is too wordy... the text revealing too much happened a *lot* in the first chapter. I would've much preferred that it was shown that she stooped and retrieved the necklace without her thoughts being revealed to us... I guess it's just that I feel like everything's out in the open and there isn't any mystery (ah, another example on page 76 of the same chapter... revealing that Yoh was hated for his popularity... shouldn't that be saved for later on?). x_x;

I'm still going to follow it, as I think the story is interesting... but I may end up dropping it later on. (Hope no one took my criticism personally. *swt!*)
Old 2007-06-03, 00:32   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I read the first five volumes a few months ago. Even though I like shoujo stories, this didn't look strong enough. After a few volumes come out, I will continue to read it to see how it goes, but, currently, it is not a series that I look for each chapter to come out (like Nana and Goong for instance).
Old 2007-06-03, 07:00   Link #11
Alice Elliot
#1 Yaoi/Shonen-Ai Hater

Send a message via MSN to Alice Elliot
@Risaa Ah no one will take such things personally I hope xD It's your opinon after all ^^ Well and if it isn't your taste of course it won't make sense to read on, mangas should be fun ^^ Well for me Koukou Debut is something special, I love Haruna because she's (like Risa) much different from all the other shoujo manga heroines. And Yoh seems somewhat "usual" at first, because he's se super attractive guy which is popular with girls guess you as well know that cliche very well, but like all other "princes" he doesn't lack personality and got a really good and caring character. It will have a few drama moments later on but it isn't much. Actually I dun like too much drama xD That's why I dropped Nana after 50 chapters or something because it turned out too much like a soap opera. Well and here as well, like LoveCom or Kare Kano the confession and getting a couple isn't the climax.
Old 2007-06-03, 20:36   Link #12
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Aah, Haruna is what keeps it going for me... I love her cluelessness. I'm not getting grabby with new chapters, but I want to keep reading because her character is very funny... and I'd like to see that they do get together... happy endings are the best.

Yoh actually reminded me of L (from Death Note) at first because of his hair and the rings under his eyes. XD
Old 2007-06-14, 14:35   Link #13
Asken

This Manga, I hope they will make an anime of this. It's really good, can't stop thinking about it. It's kind of creepy, I mean when you can't let it go.

Anyway, hope people will notice this great manga!
Old 2007-06-16, 10:57   Link #14
sakura chan

Send a message via MSN to sakura chan
Wink hiiiiiiiiiiii

i did read all the translated chapters done untill now and still think koukou debut is my favourit manga,i mean you have a beautiful love story mixed with hilarious cenes
HARUNA is just super CAWAIIIIIIII(cute) she allways have weird reactions making the manga sooooo funny and Yoh is just the kind of guy we can't resist
Yoh's personality's a bit complicated that's why he doesn't show his feelings but he's actually deeply in love with Haruna
really you people should read that manga
Old 2007-06-17, 10:00   Link #15
Asken

Can't wait for some new scans. Need to find out what's happening
Old 2007-06-22, 01:06   Link #16
konxrly
ibleach

koukou debut was recently licensed by Viz.
NCIS is working on the scans for ch 26 though ^__^ Y

currently watching: psycho-pass / robotics;notes
Old 2007-07-02, 16:29   Link #17
Amalia

Send a message via MSN to Amalia
Well YES!!! I like that manga a lot too. and Yoh!! his character is so original. as for Haruna, well i definitely compare her with Risa... they are alike is so many ways
Old 2007-07-07, 08:10   Link #18
Alice Elliot
#1 Yaoi/Shonen-Ai Hater

Yea I can't let go of KD as well, reading it over and over again. I also read or more to say "looked" through the raws up to ch 38. So much thanks to NCIS for scanlating it. Btw ch 27 is out ! I hope they would make an anime out of it soon.... Wanna hear Harunas voice and Yohs of course too as well as the others xD
Old 2007-07-07, 08:19   Link #19
Amalia

Send a message via MSN to Amalia
Me too!! i want to hear their voices... Especially Yoh's... You said you looked through the raws? can you give me the link so I can look too? a sweet sugar please...
Old 2007-07-07, 08:25   Link #20
Alice Elliot
#1 Yaoi/Shonen-Ai Hater

Sent you a PM

Edit: And for all the Koukou Fangirls/Fanboys some Walls I found so far ^^ If you got others as well I would appreciate it if you posted them of course~ ^^

Last edited by Alice Elliot; 2007-07-07 at 08:35.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, romance, shoujo