AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-08, 01:56   Link #81
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Done with Godannar.

What can I say?

A super-cheesy yet managed to be spectacular, sci-fi anime. That's what I bargained for after going from beginning to end of this series, and boy it did not let me down at anytime.

The first time I came in contact with Godannar was when I looked at a picture of Go, Anna, and Loe together with the giant robot behind. By just gazing at the pic, I instantly became enthralled and started searching for dl of the episodes.

(This was way back in February, eight months before ADV license it)

I felt at that time that the anime had potential, and I was not mistaken. However, I took a great risk by allowing myself getting carried for just a picture.

The same happened to me three years ago when I looked at some promo pics of Corrector Yui on the net, and the show made it into my local cable-TV stations. Unfortunately, the show dissappointingly let me down.

It could be said this was the same circumstance when I found about of Godannar, except that Godannar did managed to fill and instantly exceed my expectations.

I'm very thankful for the people who let us know about this title during its unlicensed run, and I must say should give thanks to ADV for the license but hopes from them to make a good dub quality for this show; deserves it.

What I understood from the last two episodes was that the 25th episode was the final one while the 26th one was the epilogue episode.
Episode 26 was an entire epilogue full of surprising revelations on the medical and gene engineering area, as also showing off the best and maximum referring to females' bodies

Anyways, there were a few things among that I could not held a grasp of.
Spoiler:

As for the last screen pic at the end of the show.
Spoiler:

To conclude, Godannar was a fun ride while it lasted. Hope that other studios produce other sci-fi anime just as cheesy and thriller like this title in the meantime future.

Well, that's all for my Godannar crave folks. See you next time!!
Old 2004-11-08, 02:15   Link #82
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

I still think Godannar is underrated. >
Old 2004-11-08, 06:51   Link #83
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido

Anyways, there were a few things among that I could not held a grasp of.
Spoiler:
I think
Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-14, 23:14   Link #84
kujoe
from head to heel

I finally finished it, and man, what a ride! This series kept me at the edge of my seat all the way--and the fanservice...! My favorite is undeniably that scene in the last episode where Morimoto's kids were hanging on to Anna's mother!

Spoiler:

Just one question though.

Spoiler:

Last edited by kujoe; 2004-11-15 at 01:10.
Old 2004-12-30, 20:15   Link #85
LK_LoA

2nd season seem to lose the focus.. I guess was that it was because the Go-Anna-Mila could be resolved in about 4 episodes. So they went and did more world-building on the other robot pilots.

Lost focus and still a nice series.
Old 2006-07-16, 10:57   Link #86
mansa_0331

Godanar

What do you think about this anime? Is it good story or not ?
Thanks
__________________________________________________ _________________
Check This mp3-player | digital-video-camcorder | camera-digital | info-technology
Old 2007-03-19, 04:06   Link #87
Bloodseeker

There was a special on certain ADV DVDs a while back: 10 DVDs for $50. I wanted to get the last three FMP Fumoffu DVDs (which would usually come out to $60+), so I jumped on it. I couldn't think of any other ADV shows that I wanted to pick up (aside from Pani Poni Dash, but that wasn't elgible for the deal), so I got the Godannar box along with the first six DVDs (I didn't realize that it was seven DVDs until the box got here and six DVDs weren't enough to completely fill it), which I'd always heard was a good hotblooded show. (in case you're wondering, DVD #10 was Saint Seiya volume 1 w/ box)

I'm not expecting this to be top 10 material, but I am expecting to mildly enjoy it. (a high "good" on ANN's ratings scale, at least) If its on or below par with what I'm expecting, I plan to sell it for more than I bought it, but we'll see.

Episode 1

-I came in expecting plenty of G Gundam-like hotbloodedness. The first episode didn't disappoint.
-Goh looks pretty masculine for a harem lead. Usually they're either wiry or scrawny and look like about a C or lower on the manliness scale.
-Why does everyone want Anna so bad? Godannar's world is filled with hot girls.
-Hilary Haag always does a great job at making her roles lovable... These little spaz-fests wouldn't be anywhere near as cute as they are if it were your average VA doing it.
-Hilary Haag, Tifanny Grant, AND Kira Vincent Davis all in the same show? That's EPIC.

Episode 2

-Episode wasn't as good as the first one... still pretty entertaining, though.
-Goh's the man of the house! When he says "get in the kitchen and stay there", he means it, dammit!
-If that blonde chick is the one that I've seen a whole bunch of screencaps of, she looks a LOT hotter with her hair straight down. I never thought that she looked all that great with her hair up and the lipstick and everything...
-Is all the nudity exclusive to the DVD version? I don't remember seeing it in any of the screencaps that I saw.

Episode 3

-Great episode. I was smiling all the way through.
-xD @ the OP!
-So I guess that the blonde chick wasn't the one that I was thinking of. She looks even less attractive in her pilot's uniform. Her voice isn't helping, either.
-Hawt British girl is HAWT!
-I hope that the English, American, and Chinese teams stick around... They're too likable to be minor characters. The Russian team's kinda lame, though.

Episode 4

-So is this going to be one of those shows where all of the support characters aren't capable of doing anything more than supporting the leads while they destroy the enemy? This show's supporting cast deserves better.
-I forgot that a lot of the girls in this show had a crush on the male lead... at least it doesn't look like everybody aside from Anna is going to be left alone at the end.

Episode 5

-"Hahahaha! Lou, you're getting really good a-" *Lou presses a button* *ship that she's supposed to be guiding in gets cut in half, dead bodies go pouring out into space, then the ship explodes* XFD! (I know that it was just a monster, but it still made me laugh)
-Why were they letting Lou boss them around and tell them what they could and couldn't do with "her" robot again? Wouldn't that be considered military property?
-XFD @ Goh getting pissed at Anna fanservice in the next DVD preview! "HEY, THAT'S MY WIFE, DAMMIT!"

After the first DVD, I've got to say that its better than I thought it'd be. I might end up keeping this one.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2007-03-19 at 06:59.
Old 2007-03-19, 14:28   Link #88
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
There was a special on certain ADV DVDs a while back: 10 DVDs for $50. I wanted to get the last three FMP Fumoffu DVDs (which would usually come out to $60+), so I jumped on it. I couldn't think of any other ADV shows that I wanted to pick up (aside from Pani Poni Dash, but that wasn't elgible for the deal), so I got the Godannar box along with the first six DVDs (I didn't realize that it was seven DVDs until the box got here and six DVDs weren't enough to completely fill it), which I'd always heard was a good hotblooded show. (in case you're wondering, DVD #10 was Saint Seiya volume 1 w/ box)

I'm not expecting this to be top 10 material, but I am expecting to mildly enjoy it. (a high "good" on ANN's ratings scale, at least) If its on or below par with what I'm expecting, I plan to sell it for more than I bought it, but we'll see.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

You can get vol 7 form Rightsuf for 17.99. i ended having to buy vol 6 form the ADV st patrick day sale for $10 since I could get Rightstuf to change one fo the neo ranga dvds for vol6 before they ship it.
The nudity is dvd exclusive, same with Divergence eve where they left off the nipples in the tv but put it back on for the dvd.

Overall is Godannar is a very entertaining show if you were looking for a Hot blood Giant Robo show with plenty of fanservice.
Old 2007-03-19, 18:34   Link #89
Bloodseeker

Wish I would have known about that sale...

I'll shop around first. A lot of times, you can find stuff for cheaper on the small ebay-ran stores.
Old 2007-03-20, 01:13   Link #90
Bloodseeker

Mom's asleep, 24's over, the dishes are done... its Godannar time!

Episode 6

Spoiler for Berserk:
-Lou really needs to be disciplined. You can't just walk into somebody's workplace when you're not even supposed to be there and start demanding that they accomodate you.
-"That was several years ago." That's all you needed to say. Why do anime/manga characters generally tend to suck so bad at explaining misunderstandings?

Episode 7

-This episode pissed me off. I was thinking as soon as the gunner got stolen that it would be awesome if Shizuru got pissed and went up there and owned Max, but I figured that Goh and Anna would be the only ones doing any real damage, as usual. I was surprised when they actually sent Shizuru out with a grappling hook and told her to take back the gunner... So not only are they finally giving the supporting cast a chance to shine, they're going with the coolest possibly scenario?! Theb Max turns into some monster that's immune to bullets, and once again, Shizuru's useless. But wait, the gunner gets shot in the back and put of out commision... by the rookie that barely even knows how to fly. GODDAMMIT! STUPID ASS WRITERS! You even make the greenhorned little brat that hasn't even gone through combat training yet more useful than Shizuru! (for the record, Lou's alright, but that should have been Shizuru's moment)

Episode 8

-Its the incest Brits!
-Is Anna going to be bitching about Goh's old relationship with Mira all the way through? Not even Hilary Haag can make that into a likable character trait.
-"Let's close in for the kill! Let's do it, Mira!" "...What did you just say?!" "Ah-!" xD

Episode 9

-Likable supports finally pick up a win.
-Don't go, incest Brits.

Episode 7 aside, that was a good volume. Even episode 7 was pretty good if you forget about them refusing to make Shizuru useful in a fight.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2007-03-20 at 03:21.
Old 2007-03-20, 04:00   Link #91
Bloodseeker

Episode 10

-Lou had better get her ass handed to her in a big way here. Just one of those things took out an entire space station... she shouldn't even be able to beat one, much less a whole bunch of them. It looks like she's about to get roughed up, then somebody will come in for the save, but if she starts fighting on par with the better pilots... well, it won't make me dislike the show or anything, but it will be pretty dumb. And irritating, since the writers are still making sure that Shizuru can't do shit.

*watches episode 11*

Screw it, I think that I'm just going to watch. Looks like the next episode is going to be another Shizuru episode from the preview. Hopefully she finally gets the chance to do something other than be useless.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2007-03-20 at 04:28.
Old 2007-03-20, 04:32   Link #92
Catnips

Godannar?Oh i've seen this anime a couple of months ago(both in Jap and english dubs which are both great in my opinion).I also love the fact that it feels like a 70's old school robot show with fanservice elements in its which is kinda funny..

The OP and ED theme songs and the soundtrack was good the fact that the veterans at Columbia Music were involved on this one and fact that Ichiro Mizuki and Mitsuko Horie had a duet song here(both of them had great performance here) but i don't like the idea that Akira Kushida(he's more known in Japan and in other countries as singer of the OP and ED themes of Metal Heroes toku shows like Gavan,Sharivan,Shaider,Juspion and Jiban) sung the OP theme,his voice here is kinda odd..
Old 2007-03-20, 05:31   Link #93
Bloodseeker

Shizuru isn't useless anymore!

I haven't tried to watch it subbed, but agreed on the dub being good. Hotbloodedness can be really annoying if the voice actors suck (Spike Spencer as Shinji Ikari, anybody?), but I haven't been annoyed by any of the voice acting yet. Hilary Haag playing one of the leads and Tifanny Grant playing one of the major supports is a huge plus too. The dub's only flaw is that Lou sounds older than she looks, and that doesn't really bother me all that much.

And I laughed the first time that I heard the OP. Its cheesy and catchy at the same time.
Old 2007-03-20, 13:11   Link #94
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
Shizuru isn't useless anymore!

I haven't tried to watch it subbed, but agreed on the dub being good. Hotbloodedness can be really annoying if the voice actors suck (Spike Spencer as Shinji Ikari, anybody?), but I haven't been annoyed by any of the voice acting yet. Hilary Haag playing one of the leads and Tifanny Grant playing one of the major supports is a huge plus too. The dub's only flaw is that Lou sounds older than she looks, and that doesn't really bother me all that much.

And I laughed the first time that I heard the OP. Its cheesy and catchy at the same time.

The cheese factor was the major reason i watch this the first when the fansubs first came out.
Old 2007-03-21, 00:52   Link #95
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK_LoA View Post
2nd season seem to lose the focus.. I guess was that it was because the Go-Anna-Mila could be resolved in about 4 episodes. So they went and did more world-building on the other robot pilots.

Lost focus and still a nice series.
*finishes watching the fifth DVD*

Nothing wrong with that in this case. I wanted to see the other teams get some more screen time. (except for team Russia... and they continued to suck)

My only real problem with Godannar so far is the lack of Mira development. She really feels like just a plot device. They haven't shown us much of her personality at all (she's nice... that's about it), especially when you consider that she's part of the show's central love triangle. Even some of the mechanics are more built character-wise.
Old 2007-03-21, 08:00   Link #96
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

The 2nd season IMHO lost focus. It gets it back by the 6th disk but disks 4 and 5 were not as enjoyable as 1-3.

Spoiler for Regarding Mira:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-03-21, 08:18   Link #97
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
The 2nd season IMHO lost focus. It gets it back by the 6th disk but disks 4 and 5 were not as enjoyable as 1-3.

Spoiler for Regarding Mira:
I'd argue that the 2nd season's biggest flaw was balance. And while the ending itself wasn't bad, I personally prefered the Goddanar PS2 game ending.

Spoiler:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-03-21, 08:32   Link #98
Bloodseeker

I liked volumes 4 and 5. It was nice seeing the American and Chinese teams finally get some attention, and it was nice to see the incest Brits back too. The mechanics episode didn't really bug me either. (though I didn't like the guy with the glasses fetish... annoying AND a tasteless bastard!) Only episodes that I didn't like was the episode that revolved around the Russians only (that should have been a Mira episode instead) and the ones when Anna stopped being a pilot. The guy with the same face as the cat is pretty lame.

Also, am I the only one that thinks that Anna is one of the less attractive regular Godannar girls?

Ellis (British girl) > Shizuru > Luna (blonde American chick) >= Mira > Hayashi (Chinese girl) = blue haired tech chick = the black haired mechanic chick > the brown haired tech girl = Sakura (Anna's friend from school) = the redheaded mechanic chick > Anna > Kiriko (Anna's mom) > Shadow (the reverse trap American chick) = Ecaterina (ugly Russian chick) = the glasses mechanic chick

(yeah, shut up, I'm trying to kill time until 7)

I wonder why out of all of the female character designs, they picked hers for the lead...

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2007-03-21 at 10:45.
Old 2007-03-21, 08:41   Link #99
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I'm not so sure the Brits are incestous... Yeah, they treat each other like siblings in a forbidden love, but at the same time, I heard somewhere that they aren't blood-related either. Can't remember the source though.

I'd put Shizuru slightly above Ellis in terms of attractiveness, but otherwise, I'm in agreement on your attractiveness scale. Or maybe I'm biased, since Shizuru's my favourite. Of course, it is disregarding the last episode, where several characters get slight cosmetic changes...

Well, traditionally, the bright, peppy and loud tom-boy girl are most of the times, the least attractive... I'd say Anna's design fit her character well, when she's not pulling her self-emo card. She was seriously annoying then.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-03-21, 08:49   Link #100
Bloodseeker

I haven't seen the last episode yet... I'm still waiting for volume 7 to get here. (bought it today on ebay for $17)

Shizuru's my favorite character, too... you saw me getting aggitated when I thought that it looked like she was going to be show's resident useless jobber.

Heh, I keep wanting to call Anna "Lou" for whatever reason. I guess that she looks more like a Lou than Lou does.
Closed Thread