AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-01, 20:20   Link #321
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
When he stole Arata's glasses, it was wrong on so many levels. Theft (glasses), lying (to everyone), cheating (game), and finally, deception (hiding from Chihaya). Those actions were beyond just bullying. Yes, he returned it in the end, but essentially, it was because Arata knew he was the thief, and because it was in the best interest for Chihaya (keep her from searching endlessly). However, it was still theft nonetheless, and his reason for returning it was not righteous either.

I did say nothing he has done since the childhood bullying has been intentionally wrong.

Yes I agree with you that the bullying and the thing with the glasses was definitely very wrong. But I think admitting it to Arata is when Taichi redeemed himself.

Should he have told Chihaya? Maybe! But in the end I don't think he really had to or that stops the redemption. He admitted to Arata in so many words that he was wrong & giving back the glasses was a peace offering in a way.

The fact of the matter is Arata still considered Taichi a friend after that incident (he thanked Chihaya and Taichi for playing Karuta with him) and so if Taichi's actions were good enough for Arata's forgiveness than that is good enough for me.
Old 2011-11-01, 20:33   Link #322
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
When he stole Arata's glasses, it was wrong on so many levels. Theft (glasses), lying (to everyone), cheating (game), and finally, deception (hiding from Chihaya). Those actions were beyond just bullying. Yes, he returned it in the end, but essentially, it was because Arata knew he was the thief, and because it was in the best interest for Chihaya (keep her from searching endlessly). However, it was still theft nonetheless, and his reason for returning it was not righteous either.
Man, talking about having a grudge on a fictional character. Taichi already redeemed himself for what he did in his childhood days.

What he did in episode 5 wasn't out of jealousy. Rather he understood Arata better than Chihaya did at that moment.

About the "girlfriend". I can't say much without giving out spoilers, [mod edit: removed the hint/advice]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-11-01 at 23:15. Reason: removed spoiler hint
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 21:12   Link #323
maplehurry

Quote:
Chihaya doesn't seem to pay attention to the feelings of others since she is so focused on "her own goals" she somewhat ignores the atmosphere.
well, she did confess to sensei many times...
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 21:17   Link #324
GundamZZ
残念美人

About the twist on girlfriend thing, you expect people to think like heroes of Jo Jo's Adventure.
The story is really about the game. The sugar coat romance is just trap. It entices people in the story.
I like the show's artwork, although the flying flower petals are exaggerated.
By the way, I can't wait to see Chihaya getting into more challenges.
Spoiler:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 21:22   Link #325
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
well, she did confess to sensei many times...
She's just the typical innocent and naive shoujo heroine who doesn't really know what love is. I still like her though, but she's more interesting when interacting with Taichi.

Taichi himself is the only character who's interesting on his own due to his internal struggle IMO. There's a lot of room for character growth with him, and he does feel more realistic somehow.

Looking forwards to episode 6.
Old 2011-11-01, 21:59   Link #326
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Have the 00's anime dulled the viewers so much that they can no longer distinguish when they see a character not painted in white or black? Sigh...

Anyway, excellent episode. We got some good character relationship exploration and development, and the story moves forward just the right amount. Nothing to complain about here.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 22:05   Link #327
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
About the twist on girlfriend thing, you expect people to think like heroes of Jo Jo's Adventure.
The story is really about the game. The sugar coat romance is just trap. It entices people in the story.
I disagree. The game's just a macguffin; what I'm watching for is the characters and how they interact. Sure, I want them to triumph, but it wouldn't make much difference to me whether it's at karuta, mahjong, shogi or go, as long as it's a triumph that's important to them.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 22:30   Link #328
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's funny that I'm the one to say this, since I was one of the more critical posters of Taichi during the flashback episodes and I was also one of the first to accuse this show of melodrama, but I actually find it kind of endearing and amusing how this show just goes absolutely balls-to-the-wall with what it is, and with its characterization.

It's honestly like watching a hammy yet heartwarming Disney special (the BGM in particular really reinforces that for me) that never misses a good opportunity to ratchet up the drama and have characters wearing their emotions and personalities on their sleeves. I kind of like how instead of doing the standard anime thing of making certain characters look horrible early on, and then go above and beyond to rehabilitate them, this show lets Taichi the teenager be not significantly different than Taichi the kid (and much the same is true of Chihaya and Arata vs. their younger selves).

His obsession over Chihaya, and how circumstances keep conspiring against him, is actually becoming amusing to me. But there is a caveat to that. The girlfriend issue makes what otherwise would almost be pure comedy gold come across with a slightly greater air of seriousness to me, dulling the laughter a bit. I honestly think that the audience is supposed to be amused a bit by Taichi's romantic struggles with Chihaya, and how Arata kind of continuously one-ups him without even trying really.

So this narrative might be better if Taichi didn't have a girlfriend at all, as that girlfriend is largely a superficial/inconsequential element thus far, that nonetheless impacts viewer perception. What could be comedy sometimes just adds another layer to the drama, and this anime has plenty of drama as it is.

That being said, you can't accuse this show of not knowing what it is.

Chihayafuru isn't a masterpiece. A masterpeice (of this sort of anime, anyway) would be more subtle than this, imo.

But what I could see this anime becoming is a cult classic, because it relentlessly remains true to itself, and it refrains from taking the easy route out with its characters.

Also, the animation/artwork here is really nice to watch. Character movements in particular feel very natural and believable to me. Some scenes play out like they were animated replicas of real life scenes.

Overall, I'll give 8/10 to Episode 5. It remains an A-Tier show for me this season.
Old 2011-11-01, 22:47   Link #329
Razziell22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I really don't understand the hate Taichi seems to garner in this thread, he's so far been the most interesting character of the 3, and the most developed overall. He's not a perfect character, but flawed characters become so much more believably human and ultimately more interesting. It's not like he's a monster by any means.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 2011-11-01, 23:15   Link #330
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Firstly the good points:

The comparisons between Chihaya and Ohana from Hanasaku Iroha is overwhelming... and that's a good thing . It's as if they took Ohana, gave her a new look and placed her in a better series. The "shonen male lead" type with a bullheaded attitude. Hell yea, need more female leads like rather than the submissive or "battered wife" types.

The two big moments of awesome:

1. When Chihaya grabbed Arata off his bike ingoring the dangers of doing so
2. When Taichi was dragging Chihaya from Arata's house, she judo slams him - Mari Okada would approve of this emansculation .

Now the bad points:

Melodrama was a tad too strong. The whole grandfather dying issue (or any other family member) gives a "been there, done that before" feel so I didn't really feel anything. Also Chihaya bursting into tears crossed the line for me a bit. I'm not exactly watching Anohana here .

However, it was still a solid episode. The good moments clearly outweighs the the bad so it gets at a 8.5/10 from me.

One further note on the Taichi hate, let it go people. To me, Arata is just as bad being so "emo" at Chihaya. Or are most people rooting for a Chihaya x Arata shipping? I'm rooting for a Chihaya x Karuta shipping personally
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 23:16   Link #331
Sol Falling

New character next episode? Building up the Karuta club? Looks like we might get away from the drama with Arata for awhile. Is the setup phase over?

These past two episodes were pretty good, but I didn't feel like I had much to say as it was basically playing out exactly as I thought it would. The inter-relational drama has been set up now, so let's get knee deep into the game.

On Taichi. His voice was a bit flat calling out to Arata at the end, but I thought he was acting (mostly) genuine the rest of the time. Aside from that creepy guy thing he did in trying to nervously reach for Chihaya's hand without saying anything, he mostly has my respect. I think Taichi is willing and able to take Karuta (and along the same lines, Arata) seriously, and I also think Taichi is able and willing to genuinely put Chihaya's happiness before his own. He will grow.

On the other hand, the convenient romantic framing which keeps popping up between Chihaya and Arata might even turn sickening if the show plays it this straight all the way through. Neither Chihaya nor Arata seem to be remotely looking for romance, I am not interested in 'kyaa!'-ing over them falling into awkward positions over each other. "Friends" is great, the innocent feelings on both ends are heartwarming, I could do without the suggestive subtext.

Anyway, this is five episodes on Chihaya, Arata, and Taichi's relationship now, I'm ready for this show to slightly widen its scope. Let's see the next episode.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 00:15   Link #332
GundamZZ
残念美人

Chihaya's character fits the description for zannen (regret;alas).
When you see someone like her, you have to comment zannen. The description was used in Railgun and Haganai. It's better than telling her, "You are perfect, except you have such and such flaws". She's not likely the only character in town. As an audience, I don't think anyone can relate to her. Maybe it's youth. So, let's just enjoy their time of hot blood and foolishness.
Spoiler for size:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 02:56   Link #333
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Another brilliant episode. A bit melodramatic, I suppose, but I have a high threshold.

Seto Asami showed me something. She had plenty of opportunity to emote as Chihaya, and she did a very effective job, for me.

As for romance, bring it on. But I think it's a long way away right now. And nothing about it will be simple. That flowery framing worked for me. That was how she saw him. It hinted at future romance, but in this show I don't think it guaranteed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ
...As an audience, I don't think anyone can relate to her...
I feel as if I can relate to her. There's no way I could be like her. In fact, I'm not sure a character like her could exist. But the creation is wonderful, and it's really a thrill to feel what Chihaya feels, in her innocent passion.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 03:19   Link #334
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That episode was hilarious, but I have a feeling that wasn't the intention.

Guys, the cast of Ano Hana called and they said they want their overly wrought melodramatic tears back. It was a case where I could see everyone's pain, but they did in such a silly manner I was just laughing through it. It didn't help that Chihaya was knocking Taichi over. The best scenes were mostly on the train in the beginning and the end, and also the scenes where Taichi reads Chihaya's letters. What a caring person!

So it was adequate in exploring characters but the execution left much to be desired and I tend to like this stuff. At least it's not laughable in the Kaiji lulzy sense.

I was gonna give this episode a 6/10, but that hillarious shot of Chihaya being sad with snot coming out of her nose was so hillarious and cute I give +1 for 7/10. She truly has the best faces.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 07:14   Link #335
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Loved the setting and the pace of this episode. And i dare say that time has done Chihaya good, she looks gorgeous!

Its great to witness the story of friendship, and how distance could not keep the ties of friendship apart for long. Looking forward to the next episode.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 07:44   Link #336
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
There was this one shot in ep5 that looked exactly like something I would have photoshopped as a joke...

Spoiler for guess which one is real:
I laughed really hard when the flowers and the sparkles popped up. That was so uncalled for

Taichi didn't get any of that when Chihaya saw him again, did he? That means Arata's ahead of him then
Old 2011-11-02, 09:23   Link #337
hai_san

Super ep 5, great developement of the Charas.

My favorite Scene is when Arata ride the cycle with the train and the BGM start. SUGOI!!

ps: The fowers for Arata when Chihaya sees him again was just overkill... no chance for Taichi:P
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 10:07   Link #338
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Bah, why couldn't Arata be the one with the girlfriend? Yuu looks to be very sweet and very perceptive of Arata. Oh yeah, doesn't hurt that they've known each other since before middle school, aka. childhood friends. XD

And lol, Yuu thinking Chihaya is a supermodel. Yeah, they're pretty much implying that Chihaya might have been as successful as her sister as a model if it weren't for her mixture of idolization/inferiority complex in regards to her sister.

But :sigh: it looks like Chihaya is treating Arata like Arata did his grandfather... that they're the ones who introduced them to competitive Karuta and thus, their God of Karuta. While not totally out yet, that did put a big gaping hole in the ArataXChihaya ship, which is quite sad since ChihayaXTaichi still going strong with Chihaya still miffed about the subject of his girlfriend. Gah, stupid traitor!

Quote:
Pfft. It's all about shipping all day, every day.

Seriously speaking though, there's a reason why I'm totally digging into this show. Just compare it to other 'game' anime like Hikaru no Go and Yu-gi-oh, just to name two off the top of my head. I haven't finished either simply because even though the main LI looks to be the childhood friend, the amount of romance (even if it is just subtext) is pitiful in comarison to Chihayafuru.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 10:07   Link #339
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

I don't think Chihaya will choose between Arata and Taichi. This is not that kind of show, with tragedy and heartbreak, the passions of an ill-fated triangle. No, the two guys are there to balance each other off, so that Chihaya is always choosing both of them, and never between them.

By deferring the shaded complexities of actual love, the anime gains instead a corresponding intensity of romantic feeling. Witness the melodrama, the impossible physical beauty of all three of the main characters, the constant overflow of their emotions. By placing the main characters on the edge of love, but never letting them fall into it, the anime ensures that the unspoken sexual tension between them permeates the entire show.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 11:44   Link #340
4Tran

Chihayafuru - Episode 5

Chihayafuru continues to show how good writing and good direction can pull off even the most pedestrian story. And this show has had a pretty pedestrian story so far - it's just that it's been executed so well that I don't really care. In particular, the bit with Chihaya's letter was blatantly telegraphed. I haven't read the manga, but the cues have been so strong that it's pretty obvious how the story is going to proceed over the next few episodes. It's nice to see shows like this that don't care about being overly clever.

Another nifty note is how classically shoujo-esque Chihayafuru has been so far. It's been so much more like old school shoujo than anything I've seen in the last little while (since Skip Beat?) that I wonder why it was ever published in a josei magazine. If this is the last hurrah of Madhouse, Chihayafuru isn't a bad way to go in terms of both quality and subject matter.

Quote:
Chihaya's character fits the description for zannen (regret;alas).
When you see someone like her, you have to comment zannen. The description was used in Railgun and Haganai. It's better than telling her, "You are perfect, except you have such and such flaws". She's not likely the only character in town. As an audience, I don't think anyone can relate to her. Maybe it's youth. So, let's just enjoy their time of hot blood and foolishness.
Chihaya is similar to a lot of shoujo leads. Those shows just aren't that common any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
That episode was hilarious, but I have a feeling that wasn't the intention.
The snot dripping from Chihaya's face probably wasn't there by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Guys, the cast of Ano Hana called and they said they want their overly wrought melodramatic tears back.
Do note that we've seen far more childhood scenes in Chihayafuru so far, and that they have been of much greater significance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And lol, Yuu thinking Chihaya is a supermodel. Yeah, they're pretty much implying that Chihaya might have been as successful as her sister as a model if it weren't for her mixture of idolization/inferiority complex in regards to her sister.
Didn't they do that in the first scene of the first episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Seriously speaking though, there's a reason why I'm totally digging into this show. Just compare it to other 'game' anime like Hikaru no Go and Yu-gi-oh, just to name two off the top of my head. I haven't finished either simply because even though the main LI looks to be the childhood friend, the amount of romance (even if it is just subtext) is pitiful in comarison to Chihayafuru.
Chihayafuru is basically Hikaru no Go + shoujo romance. There's even a direct parallel between "karuta god" and "kami no itte". Heck, they've even had the same effect in the real world: http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201107280364.html.

The money quote from the article is:
Yuki Suetsugu, author of "Chihayafuru," told The Asahi Shimbun that she belonged to a Hyakunin Isshu club as a senior high school student.

She had a message to senior high school students who might dismiss card-grabbing as uncool.

"It's a period in your life when you can dedicate the most genuine part of yourself to something," Suetsugu said. "Anything will be enjoyable, even if it is not very eye-catching, if only you devote yourself to it. Do your best to engage in matches, cheer for your friends and shed tears of victories and defeats."

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse