AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-13, 03:27   Link #1101
bigdeath

I don't know why but I did not find this boring. I guess I'm intrigued by the setting and I really like the main character. I've no clue where the story is headed but its done enough to keep me watching.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 03:30   Link #1102
Ultragunner

^ that, my friend, is why we are all here for . Seriously, it's killing me, having to wait for another week that is
Old 2014-04-13, 04:03   Link #1103
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
I don't know why but I did not find this boring. I guess I'm intrigued by the setting and I really like the main character. I've no clue where the story is headed but its done enough to keep me watching.
Same here. Sure that Tatsuya is weak in magic, but he analyze and move further before Hanzo can act.

On the other hand, one thing that bothers me is why Mari Watanabe said that weapons are banned, yet Tatsuya has a gun? Should they specify like banning CADs that shaped like weapons? But then again, I think they overlook this match.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 04:05   Link #1104
The Green One

Tatsuya's gun is his CAD basically something he uses to help channel his magic. The ban on weapons would be if that was an actual gun he used to shoot his opponent, or if one of them used a bladed or blunt weapon to strike the opponent. Using their bare hands to strike the enemy was permitted as an exception, but I'm not claiming that did or did not happen in this fight.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 04:16   Link #1105
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Tatsuya's gun is his CAD basically something he uses to help channel his magic. The ban on weapons would be if that was an actual gun he used to shoot his opponent, or if one of them used a bladed or blunt weapon to strike the opponent. Using their bare hands to strike the enemy was permitted as an exception, but I'm not claiming that did or did not happen in this fight.
It probably has to do with the harming opponent more then a sprain rule they quoted.

If someone weilded a sword that doubles as a cad the it would surely be banned from the shear fact that even getting glanced by a sword is pretty serious.

I don't think a cad gun would do that.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 04:21   Link #1106
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, you wouldn't have the right to hit the other guy with the sword, but you could use the CAD function.

Heck, Tatsuya didn't have the right to pistolwhip Hanzou either.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 04:39   Link #1107
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There is a practical reason for the practical discrimination (not enough teachers to go around).

The social aspect derives from it.
Needless to say, I won't be taking your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Don't see how you can logically think that these differences WOULDN'T cause discrimination.

The school system itself separates Weeds and Bloomers, the school system literally says course 2 students are reserves and only there in case a course 1 student is injured and cannot continue in the school anymore and has to quit.

You think they're just going to hang in this Magic High School, and that's it?
They're going to go out into the real world after High School. Magicians are already a rare breed, in the real world, their magic ability IS their societal status.

You don't think a sense of superiority creates discrimination? Most sources of discrimination aren't even grounded in logic in the first place.

People IRL discriminate harsher for lesser stuff than in this series like making less money or color of skin.
Discriminating against the colour of your skin usually has decades and occasionally hundreds of years worth of history as an explanation and are often associated with perceived grievances, often associated with low economic status. For example, discrimination against black people stretches back to times when whites found afrocarribean societies to be uncivilised and unchristian and thus naturally associated it to their race since it was the most distinguishable feature and they didn't know any better. What resulted then was horrible horrible slavery, and even then it wasn't just because they perceived themselves to be superior to blacks. It also benefited them to have a large healthy workforce without having to worry about salaries and worker rights.

Discriminating poor people stretches back even longer but usually takes the form of corruption whereby it benefits you more by being friendlier to the rich.

A sense of superiority will not create an apartheid like system on it's own. Like I said, so far it just seems like bragging rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Actually it is fairly easy to logically continue and spin a theory for what happens outside the school. Morisaki and his proud boasting of family should provide enough of an hint. It is more than likely that many of the course 1 students come from influential families (inheriting their superior affinity for practical magic from generation to generation), meaning that some of their superior attitude has been instilled by their families and surroundings. It's also fairly easy to imagine that through their superior practical skills and the teaching support they get, course 1 students are more likely to get into the university, meaning that they'll probably end up with the high-valued jobs. And through their family and school connections it is also possible that some nepotism and elitism is going on, with those people refusing to consider former course 2 students for "elite" jobs.
Sorry, but I'm not really interested in spinning theories and it certainly isn't what I asked for.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 04:42   Link #1108
Jerseykid

Tatsuya did all that physical training he shouldn't even have to use any magic to beat up vice president loser
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 05:21   Link #1109
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Sorry, but I'm not really interested in spinning theories and it certainly isn't what I asked for.
You did mention logical deduction so I tried my hand at logical deduction from what was given. If you aren't interested, then just don't reply instead of answering in a condescending tone.

Quote:
Like I said, so far it just seems like bragging rights.
Perhaps we differ in our interpretation of what bragging rights are, but I don't think restrictions on the student council being only open for course 1 students or uniform discrimination or the course 2 people getting absolutely no teaching assistance can be considered within the framework of mere bragging rights.
Old 2014-04-13, 05:25   Link #1110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Needless to say, I won't be taking your word for it.
I have no idea what your problem even is.
Old 2014-04-13, 05:39   Link #1111
Gundamx

Discriminating reason are simple
class 1 most time stronger than class 2 (there is some rare case like Tetsuya in this episode)

so most time course 2 can't stop most course 1 fight
but most course 1 can stop most course 2 fight
so it's normal for them to be only have course 1 student in Disciplinary Committee
(even Mari said that she don't want him for his fighting skill but his reading skill since most people act as victim if you stop them before they cast their magic)

student council= face of school -> do you want low score student in it or highest score?
(he could be Eisenstein but it's useless if he suck when they used general test and he failed miserably)
so that why only course 1 in it

like tetsuya said he is not good at general cad = so it's clear that course 1 a lot better when everyone used same general cad

now when it's clear course 1 is stronger than course 2 in general cad
who do you want in your team in general cad battle?

edit: for technical thing like cad it's really good idea to watch chibi episode since it look like they have no interesting to explain it inside the anime like Tokyo Raven
(Tokyo Raven used Kon chibi episode to explain thing outside anime)

Last edited by Gundamx; 2014-04-13 at 06:36.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 06:05   Link #1112
maplehurry

Quote:

A sense of superiority will not create an apartheid like system on it's own. Like I said, so far it just seems like bragging rights.
If you read assassination classroom, that's another possible explanation.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 06:12   Link #1113
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
You did mention logical deduction so I tried my hand at logical deduction from what was given. If you aren't Interested, then just don't reply instead of answering in a condescending tone.
I said I'm not interested in spinning theories, which is what your speculation was. When I said logical deductions I was looking for something more concrete (for example, exposition in the episode directly saying so). And I'm not being condescending. When I said I wasn't interested in spinning theories that was me saying I'm not interested in spinning theories. I'm sure you can understand why. If I need to fanwank it in order for it to make sense then that's already damning in itself. And I have to reply since your talking to me.

Quote:
Perhaps we differ in our interpretation of what bragging rights are, but I don't think restrictions on the student council being only open for course 1 students or uniform discrimination or the course 2 people getting absolutely no teaching assistance can be considered within the framework of mere bragging rights.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it can, though that's missing the point as well. Some of those are acts of discrimination that I don't think make sense in the first place.

And btw I really don't know where you're getting this no teaching assistance thing from
Didn't they show a teacher in the first episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I have no idea what your problem even is.
Just refer back to my first post then. I don't know how to explain it more than I already have. Not to mention that I have once again fallen into the trap of raising a criticism for a show with far too many fans.
Old 2014-04-13, 06:25   Link #1114
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
And btw I really don't know where you're getting this no teaching assistance thing from
Chibi explanation episode 1. Course 2 students don't get any practical instruction by the teaching staff. Yes, a teacher showed up during the first episode, but the entire class was stunned by it, wasn't it?
Old 2014-04-13, 06:32   Link #1115
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure it can, though that's missing the point as well. Some of those are acts of discrimination that I don't think make sense in the first place.

The first Chibi ep explained it.

There is no shortage of teachers of non-magical subjects, so they have those. But Course 2 students don't have magic teachers.

And if you didn't know that... I guess you didn't understand my own explanations?
Old 2014-04-13, 06:32   Link #1116
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ I understood it as LN knowledge and missing the point anyway.

Quote:
Chibi explanation episode 1.
Oh good grief. I'm definitely dropping this show now.

Quote:
Course 2 students don't get any practical instruction by the teaching staff. Yes, a teacher showed up during the first episode, but the entire class was stunned by it, wasn't it?
They were but I wouldn't exactly call that self explanatory.
Old 2014-04-13, 06:41   Link #1117
Ultragunner

Quote:
I said I'm not interested in spinning theories, which is what your speculation was. When I said logical deductions I was looking for something more concrete (for example, exposition in the episode directly saying so). And I'm not being condescending. When I said I wasn't interested in spinning theories that was me saying I'm not interested in spinning theories. I'm sure you can understand why. If I need to fanwank it in order for it to make sense then that's already damning in itself. And I have to reply since your talking to me.

Just refer back to my first post then. I don't know how to explain it more than I already have. Not to mention that I have once again fallen into the trap of raising a criticism for a show with far too many fans.
Actually, it's mentioned several times already, or the fastest way to know is to check the first chibi special that explains that Blood/Weed system. She's not a teacher, but a counsellor (too bad the anime skips over this), you can see how surprised the class was when she walked in.

Like you said, some acts of discrimination don't really make sense, but hey they are just a bunch of teenagers.

No, it's not wrong to raise criticism for anything, especially those with fans. But it's not good when you yourself have missed some key points that may help explain your confusion.

Of course the above sentence won't justify anything so please allow me to break it down how the Bloom - Course 1 and Weed - Course 2 are different from one another.

1st. Each year, 200 students are admitted to First High. The first 100 in the ranking will go to Course 1 while the rest are Course 2 Student. They receive the same curriculum but Course 1 gets teachers and personal instruction while Course 2 doesn't.

2nd. The main reason for such division is because there aren't enough staffs for all students so they decided to focus on the Course 1 students first while somewhat ignore Course 2 (those jerks!!!!)

3rd. In addition, students from Course 2 are viewed (and indeed are) "backup" for those in Course 1 (in case some of them may drop out) so that the school can maintain the quota of student graduating (again, JERKS!!!)

4th. Though it may be superficial, but the vast majority of Course 1 students are indeed superior to those in Course 2, at least in magic, and that is the most valued thing for not only the school, but also the authority as well. Thus, Course 2 students really can have no say in the discrimination.

The 3rd and 4th are what (IMO) really push the discrimination to the point we see, plus they have different uniform. This thing has been going for a while, not just a couple of years before

In conclusion, you have your own legit reasons for not liking the anime, I feel the same
Old 2014-04-13, 07:10   Link #1118
ReinhartX

am i the only one disturbed how they did not even intro shizuku (the girl with honoka) ...despite the fact she went with them.... and she has a role too
ReinhartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 07:16   Link #1119
cyth
Banned

Haak is not the only one as I too have missed the chibi episodes. Things about discrimination make a lot more sense then, if that's how teachers role.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 07:17   Link #1120
Vocah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
For what it's worth, I suspect shenanigans were all abound in that duel.

It's not like I wasn't expecting him to beat Hanzo anyway given his implied military background (onehit KO was a bit much though). I'm just not sure why his practical skill suppose to suck. It doesn't look it will affect his future disciplinary work in the end given this performance. It just makes all the fuss earlier frivolous.

Eh, I don't get it. You seem to like that so how is it a gripe again?
Tip: Rewatch the episode (~13:35-13:40) and look at the background
Vocah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural