AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 02:00   Link #261
sikvod00

^Don't mind if I do. Thanks a lot!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 02:18   Link #262
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Seen this twice already - once on my own, once with a friend. The first time around it felt a little two fast paced, but the second time around everything just felt right. I'm actually more pumped about this now than I was after seeing the trailers, which is saying quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe watching Madoka Magica has made me particularly tire of this, but I'm not really in a mood to watch another likable female lead be made to suffer.
I'd be kind of surprised if the amount of pressure on Ohana doesn't slack off considerably over the next few episodes. What else are they going to throw at her? Mom ends up in a hospital, Kanon style?

Honestly, I expect that most episodes are going to be more "glass half full". Ohana's got a few people who she can potentially cultivate connections with - at the very least I expect this charming senior called Tomoe to stick around a lot longer than the one in Madoka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And like Klashikari, I don't find any of the other characters likable so far, and that is a significant disappointment for me.
I think this is the result of trying to fit a bit too much into the first episode, they were introducing a new character like every two minutes with little time to digest them. Ohana was the only character I liked the first time through, second time I added the boyfriend and head waitress to the "like" list.

I also thought the mother and uncle were a lot of fun... I'm getting "jerk with a heart of gold" vibes off him so I'm wondering if he'll prove to be an occassional ally. Although he really should apologize for groping her during their initial run in.

Nako seems nice enough, but quite types like her seldom leave strong first impressions - this case is no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
Is it just me....or

Spoiler for Spoiler:

WTH!!!! I have high hopes for this series. I hope they don't get spoiled!
As other have mentioned, that's not her uncle. Based on the trailers, I think he's supposed to be a regular customer.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 03:15   Link #263
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

That mother is a real gem. Ditching her daughter on her own mother who she doesn't speak to so she can run off with her boyfriend and, if that picture she sends is anything to go by, live the high life.

Really enjoyed the first episode, and so far (admittedly that's not saying much with only a few shows aired), it's the best show of the season.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 03:24   Link #264
ReddyRedWolf

Yeah he's definitely checking her out.

Vaguely reminds me of Love Hina with the inn.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 03:28   Link #265
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I wonder if ethnic background affects perception of the grandma and some of the hard assed characters. The white nondescript American friends I talked to were calling granny a child abuser; most of my asian friends (including me) seem to remember some unwanted memories , but don't seem to think too badly of her.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 03:30   Link #266
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Should be interesting to see the characters continue to develop though
Spoiler for minor speculation:
Here's hoping plot will not disappoint.
I hadn't thought about that... I would hate this to happen. It'd be the quickest way to ruin this beautiful series.
Old 2011-04-04, 03:37   Link #267
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I wonder if ethnic background affects perception of the grandma and some of the hard assed characters. The white nondescript American friends I talked to were calling granny a child abuser; most of my asian friends (including me) seem to remember some unwanted memories , but don't seem to think too badly of her.
Lol. Not to derail this into a whiny back and forth about "hitting", but I suppose I could agree with that statement. I'm half-asian, but my father was the asian side and certainly didn't hesitate to use the "stick". ;p Sure, I didn't love it, but I have to believe it helped to make me the person I am today, rather than some whiny entitled brat I like to stereotype most of my fellow Americans as.

That said, it's too early for me to think nicely of 'ol grandma. I'm all for tough love, and it's almost certain that's exactly what it is as we'll see through the unfolding of the show, but as of one episode, there's no actual real evidence that the grandma in any way loves the granddaughter. Though I suppose the very fact that she even consented to taking care of her might be proof that this is tough love rather than simple abuse.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 04:04   Link #268
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
But didn't Ohana ask to be hit? It's not as if she randomly started slapping her. She randomly slapped Minko, but I'm guessing it's because she's an employee or something.

Also, I don't think too badly of her at all. She fits the stern grandmother archetype, so I feel like I know what to expect.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 05:38   Link #269
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
She randomly slapped Minko, but I'm guessing it's because she's an employee or something.

That's the thing though,slapping a family member,I've seen plenty of that,but slapping an employee?That I havn't seen so unless it's something that's done in japan I could see the two of them also being related.
Old 2011-04-04, 05:43   Link #270
hoarfrost

Most likely its because they're teenage girls with ostensibly nowhere else to run to if they get fed up with the abuse. What are they gonna do anyway?

I doubt she smacks the other girls like that, or heaven forbid, those burly cooks.

She seems more like the madame of a brothel than a resort, not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 05:47   Link #271
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

I liked everything except story. Yep, everything else was absolutely perfect. Okada Mari's dialogues were good, Sekiguchi's character design and animation was fantastic. Directions were superb.

The problem I have is that this kind of storyline is something I've seen in Korean soap opera millions already. Yep, 'KOREAN' soap opera. I wanted some kind of story that can be 'memorable', but current development is certainly not promising it. I hope it does something great in 3rd episode, as staffs promised.
Old 2011-04-04, 05:53   Link #272
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I hope it does something great in 3rd episode, as staffs promised.
Now you're scaring me,the staff said to watch out for episode 3?

I guess I'm going to sound like Triple_R but I hope it's nothing like Madoka's 3rd episode

edit: or a better comparaison would be something Adachi-esque (touch,cross game...)

Last edited by totoum; 2011-04-04 at 06:08.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 06:00   Link #273
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I liked everything except story. Yep, everything else was absolutely perfect. Okada Mari's dialogues were good, Sekiguchi's character design and animation was fantastic. Directions were superb.

The problem I have is that this kind of storyline is something I've seen in Korean soap opera millions already. Yep, 'KOREAN' soap opera. I wanted some kind of story that can be 'memorable', but current development is certainly not promising it. I hope it does something great in 3rd episode, as staffs promised.
Cept, no one has a terminal illness and there isn't someone crying every 5 minutes.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 07:30   Link #274
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Cept, no one has a terminal illness and there isn't someone crying every 5 minutes.
and you are saying that to someone who actually lived in Korea for 14 years... >_>
Old 2011-04-04, 07:32   Link #275
cyth
Banned

I get what applejuice is saying. I mean, it kind of does remind me of Cinderella in some roundabout way. Perhaps a modern interpretation of it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 07:43   Link #276
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Now you're scaring me,the staff said to watch out for episode 3?

I guess I'm going to sound like Triple_R but I hope it's nothing like Madoka's 3rd episode
Well, I wouldn't mind if the grandmother ran into a certain Charlotte...

j/k lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I get what applejuice is saying. I mean, it kind of does remind me of Cinderella in some roundabout way. Perhaps a modern interpretation of it.
It so far reminds me of a bit of Annie.

The grandmother treats her workers about as well as Annie was treated by Agatha Hannigan.

Still, I feel a bit better about this anime after sleeping on it, and re-watching it.

It certainly does have a lot of potential.
Old 2011-04-04, 08:20   Link #277
Wakan Tanka

Just done watching the first episode, it was well-paced, the art is great but nothing unqiue, which is fine, I hope that it keeps this pace throughout the 2 cours...I don't blame Minko for her bitchy attitude, given that she lives in an inn and apparently something is wrong with her parents, a back story will make you feel sorry for her and understand her reasons for being like this.

Another thing that shouldn't go un-noticed, the episode did well showing that a dreamy girl couldn't live in the cold reality.
I take it that Ohana's mother is nuts, I understand why her mother disowned her now..
Old 2011-04-04, 08:28   Link #278
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

This reminds me of a children story I read when I was very young (probably at 3) named Little Sidney. He changed his grandfather's life after being sent to the latter, who was old, selfish and very abusive towards his servants - his grandchild softened his heart.

Of course, it could always be a non-swiss version of Heidi mixed with Spirited Away.

P.S Can someone double-confirm that the character designer is the same one who did the Arland Atelier series?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 08:33   Link #279
RedWing

Plot seems a bit predictable, characters are too much stuck in their tropes to be anything approaching original so far. Main girl is annoying, don't see how anyone can relate to her stupidity.

She's behaving like a bad immigrant, leaving her country and going to another and instead of looking around and seeing what everyone else is behaving, she takes their own values and doesn't hesitate to bring her culture with no regard to what everyone else thinks. Ripping up those plants was a horrible thing to do, interrupting buisiness that has nothing to do with her, generally being a hassle when she just arrived.

Next episode should be school and lets see if she acts like an arrogant prick there too.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 08:42   Link #280
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
P.S Can someone double-confirm that the character designer is the same one who did the Arland Atelier series?
Yes it is. Kishida Mel is the character designer's name.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life