AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 24.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 17.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 5.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 7.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-09, 23:41   Link #61
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Urgh.....so all that drama with Gai "dying" was a waste.....a lot of characters are going to look really dumb for their angst over his death.......some characters seriously need to stay dead....... >.>
Old 2012-02-09, 23:44   Link #62
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
some characters seriously need to stay dead....... >.>
Nothing good ever came from resurrecting characters in anime lol.
Old 2012-02-09, 23:46   Link #63
julez
Tsundere-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Since Gai is back in one form or another, I'm going to assume he'll be the one to slap some sense back into Shu. Yeah, that'll be fun.
I really want to see Shu get punched in the face again.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way... I thought it'd be entertaining to see tyrant Shu, but instead I felt irritated throughout the episode. However, in my case Shu just rubs me the wrong way, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolCiel View Post
This may sound crazy, but I don't believe the man at the end is Gai. First time Shu saw him was on the beach passed out and bruised, but there hasn't been anything about his past before that point so far.
Spoiler for theory:
No I think it is Gai, but your post made me realize that it's true we don't know anything about his past before he washed up on the shore. Perhaps this sudden resurrection will shed some light on what his life was like before he met Mana and Shu. Maybe he was experimented on and has more to do with the virus and voids than we first thought.
Old 2012-02-09, 23:48   Link #64
Sixth
Hu Tao

Hahaha...Can't believe that there are random girls actually starting to idolize King Shu. Well, it is a nice start, Shu.

The only thing that bothered me is Shu is still a pawn of bigger boys. When is Shu going to stop become a pawn? I am tired to see GHQ guys doing the "Just as planned" face every time they got a screen time.

Now I wonder, how durable is Void weapon? It would be sucks if these weapons have glass durability.

I don't know but I somewhat felt sorry for Souta and other F-classes. He don't even has a line in this episode, and got infected.
Old 2012-02-09, 23:55   Link #65
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Nothing good ever came from resurrecting characters in anime lol.
Yup. Special mention to Dragonball.
Old 2012-02-10, 00:23   Link #66
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I think this is the year of yanderes
Old 2012-02-10, 00:41   Link #67
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
wtf they still missed Gai's Critical Point?!
Old 2012-02-10, 00:44   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I must say, I truly loved this episode.

First of all, I strongly support the time-skip approach being used here, as well as starting the episode off from Argo's perspective.

That was a great way to emphasize just how much the situation has changed since just two or three episodes ago, and also to show how much Shu has changed compared to win he last saw Argo.

I was worried that the execution of Shu's "tyrant turn" would be sloppy or overly character derailing, but I think that (so far) they've nailed it just about perfectly.

The key, for me, is that Shu has to remain sympathetic, but at the same time he needs to have a real edge to him. I think that Guilty Crown is hitting the right balance there so far.

He's a harsh tyrant, but with a softer side to him that he shows to a select few, and which reflects the guy he used to be.

I love how Shu and Yahiro have turned the remaining student body into a well-oiled military-like machine. It keeps things intense and suspenseful, while not allowing the school setting to soften the overall atmosphere too much.

Another thing I like is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Hahaha...Can't believe that there are random girls actually starting to idolize King Shu. Well, it is a nice start, Shu.
Powerful men tend to attract female admirers, especially amongst peers. Shu is a powerful man now. It's only natural that he would attract a lot of support, and even followers idolizing him like this. I think that having a bunch of cute girls fiercely loyal to him adds a lot to Shu's new image, reinforcing it.

On a separate note, this anime is really starting to remind me of the book Lord of the Flies.

Edit: If Gai is truly back alive, I'm going to point to my current avatar as extremely prophetic!
Old 2012-02-10, 00:56   Link #69
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Would it be rude if I said I think you haven't watched Code Geass if you think Lelouch's 'character' development was excellent?

I've got no idea which part of his character development was 'excellent'. Please, enlighten me. Because all I ever got from Lelouch was he was an angst meter incarnate that Okouchi and Taniguchi built up just to have as a martyr.
Quoted for truth.
Old 2012-02-10, 01:01   Link #70
Terizent
Nonsense!

Maybe the Gai we saw this episode was just a clone or something? He was in a glowing pool in a laboratory. Logically there's no way that he could still be alive, since his body completely dissolved into diamond dust. If the next episode reveals that he's alive because his body reformed from a billion pieces of shattered cancerous crystal, my Suspension of Disbelief will commit bloody suicide.

On another note, wonder why Shoe's mom is assisting in the cordon; she seems to be wholly aware of her actions, perhaps the plan doesn't actually involve the massive deaths of the student body?
Old 2012-02-10, 01:09   Link #71
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Powerful men tend to attract female admirers, especially amongst peers. Shu is a powerful man now. It's only natural that he would attract a lot of support, and even followers idolizing him like this. I think that having a bunch of cute girls fiercely loyal to him adds a lot to Shu's new image, reinforcing it.
Similarly how Roman and Chinese emperors had about a dozen wives and concubines. I think they're approaching the image of Shu like that, a kind of popularity due to position and status. With the reinforcement of the Void system it is like how some common women married into nobility to give birth to a higher caste child.

I'm jsut glad Shu hasn't fallen to the Caligula and Machievalli level like people previously predicted. He's still 'kind', just hardened and a 'touch' unstable.

Quote:
Edit: If Gai is truly back alive, I'm going to point to my current avatar as extremely prophetic!
Can't kill the messiah!

If this ended up as a meme because of you, that'd be epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Quoted for truth.
And I was all, "come at me bros!"
Old 2012-02-10, 01:32   Link #72
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Just when I thought the series finally got interesting, Guy came back.
Gai...
Gai
I so want to just toss salt on that guy and melt him to the next dimension, since apparently dying and going to the next life in the same world isn't enough to keep him dead.

And when was there a "See eye to use Boyd" setting? Because I can think of moments where he clearly didn't look at the person's body, let alone their eyes.

Anyways, Shuu... Shuu, Shuu...
"I'll be King(?)!" --> "O... Oh... Maybe I was wrong..." --> "AHAHAHAHAHAHA"
No, don't run away, you idiot. Stick with one idea at least for an episode, for once.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-02-10, 02:56   Link #73
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Hm, I just a little on the fence with this episode, but first I must say I really enjoyed it initially. But I will start out with saying I've never been one of those guys proclaiming "Looks like I'm dropping this show!" week after week; I'm one of those guys though that never really complained much about GC in the beginning: I liked the setup, derivative of certain other series or not, I've always liked Shu, socially awkward/low self-esteemed pussy, wishy-washy or not. I think I like Shu because I probably would have acted in a similar fashion under his initial circumstances. I mean, I found it refreshing that it took him several episodes for him to finally answer the call.

But I'm kind of disappointed that THE GAI has returned, cloned or not. This guy is such a cockroach it's not even funny. This really cheapens death in this series because now I'm like "hey they can always just reconstruct them." I'm sure he's going to be setup as the final boss for Shu (either to destroy him or to return him to his "good" self).

What I did like about this episode was Inori is finally becoming interesting, if only by slowly turning into Mana, which is what seems to be happening. There have been two big hints that Inori is no longer just Inori (one of them could've been Shu hallucinating but the creepy "mitsuketa~" was a clear one). My theory is that there's another personality creeping into Inori, and not just Mana completely taking over.

And man, I didn't think it was possible for me to feel sorry for Souta, but just look at him now. And all the other F Rankers, it was like watching the condemned work on all the suicide missions for just a little reprieve from their inevitable ends... hard to watch.

Arisa... I don't really think she's dead, well, she very well may be, but the scene was so quick. It was like a summary execution with little fanfare, and for a pretty significant character that is pretty jarring (perhaps intentional?). On the other hand, it might have been that way to punctuate just how not_Inori Inori is now.

Anyway, overall good episode, right now I'm just hoping it doesn't come crashing down like Code Geass did in both seasons when they were nearing the endgame.

EDIT: Also nice to see that Shu is very much still Shu deep down inside (for now), but he's just managed to put on a convincing front. Must be that scarf, it's possessed.
Old 2012-02-10, 03:04   Link #74
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Okay, for a while I've just been keeping up with Guilty Crown by reading through threads or around the net, but I'm finally all caught up (watched epis 7-16) and... well... just wow.

Shu and Inori went insta-asshole and Yahiro went... extra super-duper manipulative asshole? Not that I'm complaining; I'm enjoying where things are going currently. It's all very interesting.

I really hope Mana doesn't resurface in some [major] way, though.

Also, Gai? Please stay dead. I mean, really. PLEASE.
Old 2012-02-10, 03:21   Link #75
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiamaster View Post
The change in Shu's personality is anything but credible, he went straight from being the dork pushed around in class to Adolf Hitler.
My expectations for this episode and the rest of the series were completely betrayed.

Comparing this to Code Geass is bullshit.

Lelouch's personality and character development was excellent, this was stupid.

Absolutely dissapointing(disappointing).
See, this is why people who don't understand Lelouch-sama should just GTFO off Guilty Crown sub threads....

Lelouch-sama has only one type of character: that of a vengeful, wounded soul who has decided to sacrifice his all to get back at his god damn father. If there was any development, it would be how he included in his plan to settle everyone's problem with his death.

Shu is an imperfect person at the start. He actually has more development than Lelouch-sama, who is almost perfect. Lelouch-sama's acts are all for the fruition of his ambition to get back at his father. Shu has none of that. If we are to compare Shu now to Lelouch-sama, Shu is who Lelouch-sama is before he met C.C. While Shu goes down to a darker road, Lelouch-sama is very consistent with his goals and even after acquiring the Geass.

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2012-02-10 at 10:32.
Old 2012-02-10, 03:39   Link #76
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Oh my God, can Shuu just freaking catch a break already? Every time he tries to do something nice, it blows up in his face. Every time he tries to do something bad, it blows up in his face.
Old 2012-02-10, 03:52   Link #77
EroKing

Could it be that Mana's DNA inside Inori is linked to Shu and getting more active as he uses more Void?
hmmn well I just hope they don't make us show something like Shu goes to take out Inori's void and out comes Mana out of Inori, that would be pretty you know..... =_=
Though anything can happen as Shu just went "oh look, I can be evil if I want to" *attempts an evil laugh like Lelouch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Just when I thought the series finally got interesting, Guy came back.
Gai...
Gai
I so want to just toss salt on that guy and melt him to the next dimension, since apparently dying and going to the next life in the same world isn't enough to keep him dead.

And when was there a "See eye to use Boyd" setting? Because I can think of moments where he clearly didn't look at the person's body, let alone their eyes.

Anyways, Shuu... Shuu, Shuu...
"I'll be King(?)!" --> "O... Oh... Maybe I was wrong..." --> "AHAHAHAHAHAHA"
No, don't run away, you idiot. Stick with one idea at least for an episode, for once.
Your comments are as funny as this show. Always looking forward to your posts every week

Last edited by Solace; 2012-02-12 at 03:09. Reason: Removed preview.
Old 2012-02-10, 04:13   Link #78
c^2

What a disaster. Obviously it was headed this way with the void ranking system nonsense, but they have succeeded in transforming Shuu into a truly detestable character. It is bad enough that he treats people as objects whose sole value is determined by some shady device, but he has also proven to be a terrible leader, and nearly kills Souta. As if determined to further demonstrate his lack of wisdom, he gives the delinquents free rein with their own voids so that they can continue with their thuggery.

Rather than forging relationships based on trust and ability, he ignores those completely and defers to some numerical hierarchy enforced by fear. A number which doesn't even describe the usefulness of a void. After only a few days, the organization is already showing signs of imminent collapse. Yet somehow, people hail Shuu as the second coming of Gai, and trumpet his his virtues and brilliant character development, which outshines even that of LeLouche.

The reactions that fill this thread leave me feeling like I have stepped into some alternate reality where sense no longer exists. I am utterly baffled that anyone can look upon the last two episodes as an improvement in either Shuu's character or the series overall.
Old 2012-02-10, 04:14   Link #79
Crontica

Is Newtype trying to foreshadow a Shuu x Gai ending? I mean honestly when was the last time i saw a anime scan of the cast, shuu, inori, gai and mana?
Old 2012-02-10, 04:46   Link #80
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought it was silly for Shu to so easily accept that dogma, but you know when Tsugumi gave her commentary at the end of the first half, I thought it was a fairly decent insight if you replaced the word "voids" with "guns". In reality a lot of armed resistances will have leaders that are either uncaring, incompetent or are part of the corruption in the system.

Anyway the lie was quickly proven wrong at the expense of a character designed specifically to for that purpose (really have to feel sorry for the poor mooks in this show) and Shuzaku finally got an evil laugh. Surprised that Arisa was killed off. It looks like everyone's favorite yandere has returned as well as Gai (hate the pointless Christian symbols though).

Last edited by Haak; 2012-02-10 at 09:44.
Closed Thread