AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2012-04-27, 15:43   Link #1901
CrimsonMoonMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishin View Post
there are always a few mistakes, occasionally I'd notice a spelling/grammar mistake and laughed to myself that their proofreader must have been skimming it, but it's nothing to take you out of the story. There may have been 1 time through all the arcs that there was a mistake that just did not make sense and made me think about it before moving on, which made sense in the next lines context but alone was gibberish.

And about the Kai episodes, each one is stand-alone, so they won't affect each other. As long as you do everything right the music patch shouldn't have any problems. At least to my knowledge. I think what they meant by that warning is that say, randomsong.ogg in ep7 might be replaced properly by the ep7 patch, but in ep8 it might be called somesong.ogg and the patch for ep7 wont work. If you use the proper patches, ep7 = ep7, ep8 = ep8, there shouldnt be a problem
Oh, well then that's a lot simpler than I'd have imagined.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by CrimsonMoonMist; 2012-04-27 at 16:56.
CrimsonMoonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 19:22   Link #1902
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
And about the Kai episodes, each one is stand-alone, so they won't affect each other.
Of course, there's the 'bundled' version or the hardcopy which includes all the Kai episodes… I don't think that would cause problems, though.

And yeah, Higurashi spanned the time during which MangaGamer were improving the quality of their translation. By the end of it, the translation is greatly improved, although probably not as good as their more recent titles.
Old 2012-04-28, 16:54   Link #1903
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

Is the bundled actually considered a singular game as the Umineko releases were? when I read it I got the impression it was basically a folder with the 4 separate eps
Old 2012-04-28, 19:43   Link #1904
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Hmmm… I bought them separately, and have yet to get a hardcopy so I didn't know what it was actually like. I had assumed all four episodes were contained in the same game, but it could be that they're just in four separate folders.
Old 2012-05-04, 19:09   Link #1905
fsior

Confused with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Okay just finished watching ep4 of the Demoned Away chapter. And started ep5 where all the characters that died are back alive like nothin happened, I am seriously confused right now, its messing with my head
fsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 19:10   Link #1906
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Might check in the Higurashi subforum: http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Should be lots of answers in there.
Old 2012-05-04, 19:22   Link #1907
fsior

Hold on a second this series was a game first with multiple routes and endings? If so that would explain the reset on ep5 which I am watching now. Probably starting a new route. Would you happen to know what company made the game? I am extremely interested in this now.
Old 2012-05-04, 19:24   Link #1908
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Not off the top of my head ... but again, check out the sub forum I linked above. I am sure there are answers there.
Old 2012-05-04, 19:25   Link #1909
DanielMors
Second Stake of Sloth

Just keep watching. There will be more of those setbacks, so you should get used to it. Season 2 (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai) will explain what is going on.

Edit: The games (yes, they are more than one) are made by 07th Expansion, who are know for their games revolving around restarting the story.
Edit2: Higurashi doesn't work like your average VN with multiple routes. You just finished watching the adaption of the first game, and are now watching the second one. There are no routes. Just multiple games following each other.
DanielMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 21:12   Link #1910
RandomAvatarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagato3
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Yeah, each "reset" will reveal new clues to the truth of what happened in Hinamizawa, June 1983. You'll get to see things in each arc that you didn't get to see in the others simply because the events played out differently.

Four "question arcs" and four "answer arcs" (Answers = Kai) The anime has the first two answer arcs in the first season, then the final two in the second.

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 17:39   Link #1911
fsior

That makes sense now so there are 4 realities then. Is there any connection between all of them? I have just finished watching the first 26 eps. On the ep2 of Kai right now.
Old 2012-05-05, 18:22   Link #1912
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

I feel that the anime makes it seem more confusing than the VNs did. I mean, there's none of those All Cast Review Sessions to kinda lead into the next arc.

But yes, by the end of the story, you should understand what's going on. I wouldn't ask other people for the answer, since that's part of the mystery of this story. Try to think of a solution before the truth is revealed. :-)
Old 2012-05-05, 19:19   Link #1913
fsior

Oh I have my theories on how the series will turn out. But what makes a story really interesting for me is when I am wrong. Unfortunately most animes I've seen have been way too predictable, but this one seems to have given me a good run. =)
Old 2012-05-06, 01:23   Link #1914
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsior View Post
Oh I have my theories on how the series will turn out. But what makes a story really interesting for me is when I am wrong. Unfortunately most animes I've seen have been way too predictable, but this one seems to have given me a good run. =)
If anything, the best anime from the last 3-5 years (Madoka Magica, Mirai Nikki, etc) have all used the "central" mechanic that this series started with. Mind you, it's a very risky storytelling mechanic, so it rarely ever works out, but the inspiration is pretty apparent once you've watched Higurashi.

Other series have tried very hard to duplicate that which makes Higurashi so special (including Ookamikakushi, Shi-Ki, and Another), but they are all tepid imitations. Unless your only interest in Season 1 was the violence and the mind-fucks, then odds are high that you'll enjoy Season 2 (Seasons 3-4 are a toss-up).
Old 2012-05-06, 06:58   Link #1915
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

That's kinda giving it away, isn't it?

It's worth noting that the Ookamikakushi visual novel was directed by Ryuukishi07, so it goes without saying that it would have similarities to Higurashi.

Also, Higurashi seasons 3 and 4 really aren't part of the main story. A lot of it probably wouldn't even be considered canon.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:45   Link #1916
fsior

Well I have to say after finishing the series Hirugashi has to be one of my all time favorites. Which sucks because now I have high expectations and I am going to be comparing other horror genre anime to thish. Sigh. Oh well.
Old 2012-05-06, 15:42   Link #1917
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
That's kinda giving it away, isn't it?
That of course implies that he watched those anime first. If anything, I gave away the twists the other ones. Then again, if you've already watched Higurashi, you can already see the mechanic's flags a mile away.

Quote:
It's worth noting that the Ookamikakushi visual novel was directed by Ryuukishi07, so it goes without saying that it would have similarities to Higurashi.
Yeah, I was real annoyed when I found that out. Did Ryukishi07 have to make that story so painfully similar?

Quote:
Also, Higurashi seasons 3 and 4 really aren't part of the main story. A lot of it probably wouldn't even be considered canon.
Dice-Killing Chapter aside, I did say seasons 3 and 4 would be a toss-up in terms of enjoyment. He enjoyed Season 2, so it stands to reason that he wasn't just in it for the violence and "gore" (because let's face it, the Higurashi anime is actually pretty light on that). As such, he enjoyed the series for its characters, and therefore he may enjoy the silliness that 66% of the OVA's provide.
Old 2012-05-07, 09:07   Link #1918
CrimsonMoonMist

Quote:
Of course, there's the 'bundled' version or the hardcopy which includes all the Kai episodes… I don't think that would cause problems, though.
Turns... out it does after all.
This is all there is in the game's folder

There are no separate folders for each EP,
but simple adding and deleting the music files for each EP with the next one in line should work just fine.

I assume the warning about wrong songs if used for the wrong EP on the Tweaking Higurashi wiki was refering to something like
the original track madeupmusicname1 replaced in EP5 is not necessarely the track madeupmusicname1 replaces in EP6 and so forth.

Last edited by CrimsonMoonMist; 2012-05-07 at 13:06.
CrimsonMoonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 18:44   Link #1919
Orophin

Quote:
Is the bundled actually considered a singular game as the Umineko releases were? when I read it I got the impression it was basically a folder with the 4 separate eps
I have the disc version of Higurashi Kai and all four chapters are combined just like with the original Japanese release. Dunno if it's the same for the download version, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
If anything, the best anime from the last 3-5 years (Madoka Magica, Mirai Nikki, etc) have all used the "central" mechanic that this series started with. Mind you, it's a very risky storytelling mechanic, so it rarely ever works out, but the inspiration is pretty apparent once you've watched Higurashi.

Other series have tried very hard to duplicate that which makes Higurashi so special (including Ookamikakushi, Shi-Ki, and Another), but they are all tepid imitations. Unless your only interest in Season 1 was the violence and the mind-fucks, then odds are high that you'll enjoy Season 2 (Seasons 3-4 are a toss-up).
What I'm about to write might seem a bit weird coming from a fellow Ryukishi07 fan, but Higurashi no Naku Koro ni was nowhere near as innovative as you make it out to be.

Spoiler for Higurashi:
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 21:50   Link #1920
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
What I'm about to write might seem a bit weird coming from a fellow Ryukishi07 fan, but Higurashi no Naku Koro ni was nowhere near as innovative as you make it out to be.

Spoiler for Higurashi:
Spoiler for The Great and the Good of Mystery: